• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Was Luigi toned down for brawl?

zhao_guang

Smash Lord
NNID
zhaoguang1
It's honestly all about your playstyle. If someone doesn't wavedash and use f-air and all that jazz, Brawl Luigi will seem much better. But to those who used those moves, being able to approach easily, and gimp Falco players at 50% with his f-air made him seem better in Melee.

In a sense, the more competitive you were with Luigi in Melee, the better he will look in Melee.

I prefer Brawl Luigi because I wasn't a huge Melee player, and I don't feel like going back and training with him and screw up my brawl game.

It's pretty hard to get really good with both characters at the same time, if it's even possible.

ExCeL 52

Smash Lord
I cannot believe there even ARE people who prefer Melee Luigi over Brawl Luigi
I absolutely hate Brawl Luigi. I think he got nerfed so hard.. Its harder to string together combos and move across the stage in Brawl. Melee Luigi > Brawl Luigi because of the strategy factor.

But Peach in the other hand is more strategic in Brawl which I love alot. Even if they did nerf her down smash.... It lets you string together combos now.

PolMex23

Smash Champion
I agree, you can increase his kill power, recovery, an priority...

But you take away speed from a character an you decrease his value as a threat.

But my luigi in brawl the sexiest so what ev xD. My only complaint is he could be faster...i make due with mindgames

PolMex23

Smash Champion
Excel watch me in brawl I make it seem hit stun still exists!

Oh an i 3 stocked a Sheik than last stock zelda player in 1 min an 10 seconds....

Last combo was a 0 to death...

Nair, up tilt, up tilt, up air, up air, read the air dodge into a grab, d throw, bad dI, punished with jab up B....

hippiedude92

Smash Hero
Excel watch me in brawl I make it seem hit stun still exists!

Oh an i 3 stocked a Sheik than last stock zelda player in 1 min an 10 seconds....

Last combo was a 0 to death...

Nair, up tilt, up tilt, up air, up air, read the air dodge into a grab, d throw, bad dI, punished with jab up B....
Don't you dare **** with this n!gg@ here ^^ he'll ****ing shoryuken you to hell and back again XD

Yonder

Smashboard's 1st Sole Survivor
NNID
Skullicide
3DS FC
4055-4053-1813
You know what truly pissed me off in Melee? Luigi. His was actually allowed in low tier tournaments for a while and ****** everything up. The low tier tourney brackets were always

1.Luigi
2.Luigi
3.Luigi
4.DK
5.Insert random character

Im glad SBR was smart enough to place him in mid tier. A bit to late though.

I loved luigi in low tier :D.

Atash

Smash Apprentice
From my limited perspective as a novice in both SSBM and in the current incarnation of SSBB, I see Luigi as simply gaining a different play-style.

I certainly enjoyed the strength of his forward aerial in SSBM, to the point of abuse even, but that strength seems to have shifted from his arms to his legs in SSBB. Granted, his back aerial in SSBM (at least from what I can remember), was moderate and effective - but it's gotten a boost. I can't go and... well, '*****slap' anyone anymore, not even with Luigi's back aerial, but the decency is spread around in a manner that breeds better comboing. Considering that SSBB gameplay mechanics tend to push games to higher percentages than in SSBM (and that damage percentages have not inflated in proportion to the 'death-percent's), I consider the extra comboing ability a blessing rather than a curse to the beloved forward aerial of SSBM - the opponent is that much closer to the death percents that much faster. It provides a disproportionate lead that could have otherwise been lost to an overpowered forward aerial (granted, early walls of pain or pseudo-walls of pain from the slap's nice knockback would have been... nice).

As for wavedashing... I'll never get over its loss. It was, to put it lightly, awesome to stand on one end of Final Destination and appear in the next second in the middle of the stage with a down smash ready to pound opponents into the sky. To be quite honest, I don't think there's any direct counter to say that the lack of wavedashing in the entirety of the game somehow has a silver lining to it (other than 'Well, <insert random character who isn't in the top tier> could possibly outmatch us', but who cares about the other characters these days -.- ).

However, one then has to look at the newfound survivability of Luigi. Being a novice who had essentially decided that the Fox players who waveshined were telepathically hacking the Gamecube console mid-game (my fingers couldn't button mash for jack, let alone tap in intricate button patterns in the space of fractions of a second), I'm thoroughly enjoying the ridiculous heights to which I can rise up from once spiked just over the edge. The fact that, while my recovery is predictable and punishable by any and all who wish to punish it, I at least have a chance to recover from the very bottom right edge of Final Destination's map layout is awesome to me.

Again, I'd like to clarify that I was and still am a novice - if there's something higher in the metagame of the experts that I'm missing, well... I concede to the points of others.

(( I had more ideas to post about, but I promptly forgot them as I wrote this <_< It's quite unfortunate in my opinion... ))

Veca Gorebyss

Smash Journeyman

it feels like he was.

i dont know everything about the games. but there is something called "wavedashing". i think.

where. if you "air dodge" into the ground. it will make the character slide.

okay. well. that is usually a useful tool in tournmanents to cause chaos and confuse people.

and people do it really well sometimes.

and so. yeah. you can't do that in "brawl".

you can only "air dodge". but without any direction you can move into. unlike "melee".

also. as a highly experienced luigi player of "melee" and "brawl".

i believe he was "nerfed".

his attacks just don't have as much "punch". and he feels a more slippery.

and i think he felt more easier to control in "melee". a faster paced game.

he essentially tricks my mind here and there in "brawl".

a bit confusing to use.

but a notable more startingly than his control "feel" in "melee".

Last edited:
Top Bottom