• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wario's grab release punish is back and it works with Little Mac

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726

With this still being in the game, will you main Wario still? It looks like he's a good character from what I've seen so far but this could end him and potentially send him down on the future tier list. Thoughts?

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Why the hell is this still in?

Eh. Should be very difficult to grab a good Wario.

D

Deleted member

I'm sure they might fix this in a update patch.....Right?

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
Ness and Zelda have a similar exploit on most characters out of grab at high %. They press backwards on the control stick, and the enemy dies--it's unavoidable at high %s.

I hope they patch this.

Last edited:

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Wario was already looking kind of uninspiring for Smash 4. This just makes it 400% easier to not feel bad tier-whoring someone like Sheik

Rakurai

Smash Ace
I'd like to hope they'll actually do something about this.

Considering that Wario has that momentum glitch, maybe it'll make them bother looking over the entire character again...

But seriously. How did they fix this for Ness, yet forget to do it for Wario?

Last edited:

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Who knows. Trusting Sakurai to fix balance issues from prior games might as well be throwing a dart at the board blind and drunk

Goodstyle_4

Smash Journeyman
Aw god dammit, seriously? AGAIN? How could they screw up that badly twice in a row? Is there any chance in hell Nintendo will see this and maybe do something about it? Does Yoshi still infinite him? This is just awful :(

Rakurai

Smash Ace
Considering how many other glitches are in the game, plus the fact that Wario is now the only character who suffers from this particular glitch, there's really no reason for them not to fix it in a patch other then them simply not being aware of it.

That said, I'm going to make sure I let them know about this and all of the other glitches as soon as the game releases in the US.

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
Who knows. Trusting Sakurai to fix balance issues from prior games might as well be throwing a dart at the board blind and drunk
Why do you think this?

spd12

Smash Cadet
NNID
PinkDodecahedron
3DS FC
0104-0418-0459
Sakurai wasn't the only one doing that this time. Supposedly there were roughly twelve people who helped with balancing, thereabouts.

If this is still in the game after Brawl, I'm assuming this is an intentional trait for him.

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
Sakurai wasn't the only one doing that this time. Supposedly there were roughly twelve people who helped with balancing, thereabouts.

If this is still in the game after Brawl, I'm assuming this is an intentional trait for him.
Why would Sakurai want a character to be easily KO-able without any skill involved?

spd12

Smash Cadet
NNID
PinkDodecahedron
3DS FC
0104-0418-0459
Why would Sakurai want a character to be easily KO-able without any skill involved?
Beats me! Considering that Wario lends himself to physical comedy - especially in WarioWare - and that there were a few ways for him to KO himself (running over certain items with his bike, full charge waft that takes him too high up the screen), well, that's the best I could think of.

Doesn't mean I like or support it! He was my favorite to play in Brawl and likely will still be my favorite too, sucks I'll have to deal with it as much as anyone else (barring a patch that addresses this, his momentum glitch for example really does need to be fixed).

Goodstyle_4

Smash Journeyman
Beats me! Considering that Wario lends himself to physical comedy - especially in WarioWare - and that there were a few ways for him to KO himself (running over certain items with his bike, full charge waft that takes him too high up the screen), well, that's the best I could think of.
This is the dumbest thing I've read all day. It is very clearly not intentional, it is the product of lazy porting and inept game design. Do not even begin to rationalize it.

Last edited:

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
This is the dumbest thing I've read all day. It is very clearly not intentional, it is the product of lazy porting and inept game design. Do not even begin to rationalize it.
Agreed, though we could do without the harsh words.

spd12

Smash Cadet
NNID
PinkDodecahedron
3DS FC
0104-0418-0459
Well, fact of the matter is, and I apologize that I can only grasp at straws as to why this even exists - and maybe not in a way that can provide any sort of satisfying answer to you or anyone else, this is still here.

Wario has a lot of subtle changes that have already been documented by people who have played the game - he is not a 1:1 port from Brawl. There are quite a few marked animation changes and the like. Thought was very clearly put into quite a few of those changes (the way lowering from a wheelie is a strong attack, the new animation to account for a longer-ranged forward smash in a way that wouldn't throw his entire body forward, etc).

Even then, this oddly short grab release distance of his is still there.

At this point I don't think it can be anything but intentional. I don't like it either.

Rakurai

Smash Ace
I'm getting the impression they just didn't put much time into testing Wario, because having two glitches involving basic game mechanics is pretty bad compared to situational glitches the other characters have.

Again, I don't see why they'd fix Ness' grab release, but not address Wario's. It still lets numerous characters get far more of out letting him escape from a grab then actually throwing him, when such a situation isn't supposed to provide an advantage to anyone. I personally find it too stupid to be intentional.

Last edited:

Strawhat64

Smash Ace
Guys, look at the bright side. At least King DDD can't chain grab. But this is a HUGE upset for me. Is this a dream? because i want to wake up.

MrEh

Smash Hero
when such a situation isn't supposed to provide an advantage to anyone.
There's no rule that says that. Character specific nuances have been prevalent in fighting games for years.

I'm getting the impression they just didn't put much time into testing Wario, because having two glitches involving basic game mechanics is pretty bad compared to situational glitches the other characters have.
Wario's grab release animation was never a glitch though. Abusing the animation was not intended, but the programming itself is not a glitch.

If you want to see some real glitchy grab release nonsense, try looking up DK or Bowser.

Last edited:

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
There's no rule that says that. Character specific nuances have been prevalent in fighting games for years.

Wario's grab release animation was never a glitch though. Abusing the animation was not intended, but the programming itself is not a glitch.

If you want to see some real glitchy grab release nonsense, try looking up DK or Bowser.
It doesn't make sense on why this was fixed for Ness but not Wario. Surely they must have known about this "glitch."

Goodstyle_4

Smash Journeyman
It doesn't make sense on why this was fixed for Ness but not Wario. Surely they must have known about this "glitch."
You overestimate how much Sakurai and his team actually care about community feed back. The Ness thing was probably fixed by a fortunate system change rather than from any conscious effort on the developer's part.

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
I would normally be very upset but Wario's momentum glitch(as long as it's in) kind of makes up for it. Not only does it make his recovery amazing but he gets a multi-directional airdash based on KB, which, in a Smash game, is absolutely ****ing insane. We should exploit it while we can!

This still sucks though, but character specific nuances have always been a thing in professional fighting games. I guess this was one of them.

Last edited:

Gre ninja'd

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
1693-2965-0889
To me, they should change the release, because the KO punch will just be a guarantee after a grab, which after down tilt, having another option like that is insanely unfair, at least to wario. I just hope that not every person up against a wario will only grab.

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
You overestimate how much Sakurai and his team actually care about community feed back. The Ness thing was probably fixed by a fortunate system change rather than from any conscious effort on the developer's part.
Obviously enough if feedback was taken from E3. As I said in the vectoring thread, our feedback changed the game or atleast how it was from the E3 build.

MrEh

Smash Hero
The Ness thing was a result of bad code being copypasta'd from Melee. If you want further examples, see Bowser/DK.

The Ness thing was probably fixed by a fortunate system change rather than from any conscious effort on the developer's part.
^this

Rakurai

Smash Ace
The Ness thing was a result of bad code being copypasta'd from Melee. If you want further examples, see Bowser/DK.
I wouldn't be surprised if this is the same reason why Wario still has his grab release problem, plus the momentum glitch.

ZangooseQTR

Smash Cadet
NNID
Zangoose
This seriously needs to be patched, Nintendo better be taking notes and sending out a major fix and tweaks to things.

Hyper

Smash Apprentice
Well I feel like an idiot for just now finding this thread after posting the video in another thread. :dkmelee:

As for the topic at hand, I think you guys are overreacting to it being back.
I mean yes it's bad that it's back but lets look at the bright side.

Very few(Confirmed so far) can get KO moves off this, where as Brawl it was pick your favorite kill move.
Mac and Rosalina are very situational. (Mac needing to grab you within those 7 seconds of KO punch and Luma being near Rosalina intime for the USmash)
Most the kill moves in the video doesn't even kill Wario even at high percent.

Unless there's like a huge DPS combo found for somebody to use on this, I doubt it will be a big of problem as it was in Brawl.

As for the OP's question, of course I will still main him. I would main him even if he was the new Ganondorf.

Last edited:

Iota

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2852-7054-7732
I personally love the fact that the Grab release is back. It means for me that I can still make all the newbie Warios cry in dittos~

Last edited:

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
I personally love the fact that the Grab release is back. It means for me that I can still make all the newbie Warios cry in dittos~
What about the actual meta?

Thinkaman

NNID
Thinkaman
3DS FC
1504-5749-3616
I don't get how everyone is saying "why wasn't this addressed?" when it was clearly addressed.

All the infinites are gone. Only 4 characters have meaningful options out of it now (who all seem to have mediocre grabs), of which only the highly situational KO Punch is stronger than a typical kill throw. (Keep in mind too that KO Punch bypasses shield anyway, so being able to do it out of grab isn't a game-changer...)

No infinites, no knees, no toes, no charged Sheik u-smashes or Ganon f-smashes.

I mean, I would have gotten rid of it altogether just because it looks dumb and feels dumb. (In BBrawl it was one of the first things changed.) But as things stand in Smash 4, the toned down version is not really that big of a balance concern.

Last edited:

Wariuzzo

Smash Rookie
I'm using Wario and i already found a lot of people using that grab release on him, but as Hyper said, is very situational. It isn't so easy to knock Wario out with that and i think it is not a huge problem for him, for now.

Also, i'm new here, i'm trying to main only Wario on this game. :)

Iota

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2852-7054-7732
^this. It prob won't be huge in wario's meta though; probably as impacting as spacies grab release vs certain characters in brawl.

WarioJim

Smash Apprentice
Hello, of course I'm still gonna play Wario. I mean he's just to awesome!

Plus, good Wario players don't let themselves get grabbed :p

Gidy

Smash Lord
NNID
I-Gidy-I
3DS FC
0834-3126-6726
Hello, of course I'm still gonna play Wario. I mean he's just to awesome!

Plus, good Wario players don't let themselves get grabbed :p
Good players don't get grabbed. But good players grab.

WarioJim

Smash Apprentice
Good players don't get grabbed. But good players grab.
So do good Wario players! :4wario:

If you're still worried though, ley me put this into perspective: Wario had this problem in Brawl. He's 10th place on the current tier list, and if we look at his stats by themselves, he looks like he got buffed (so far) in Smash 4.

If we account the game's physics changes, Wario can be comboed, yes, but I don't think that'll be easy. He's heavy, however, he's also unusually small for his weight and quite fast in the air. Not to mention he can combo people himself...

I don't think it will be as big of a deal as you think it is. Don't be pessimistic, be optimistic!

Last edited:
Top Bottom