• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wario Video Thread - Show off or critique!

mYzeALot

Smash Journeyman
I know that I just saw Applez play at the GameClucks last night which was cool to see. I only got to see him get beat by a DDD though.

\Apples

Smash Journeyman
I was playing on stream for like 4 hours before the tourney started, all that should be up on Gimpy's twitch archive. Big D plays a patient pink penguin tho, he's no random DDD slouch.

mYzeALot

Smash Journeyman
Nevertheless, it was cool to watch. I was just waiting for you to make some use of wario's bite versus the fatman. I'll look at the footage from before, though.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I don't use bite much, but it has some silly applications. The amount of weave control you have during it is probably a tad much, although landing bite itself is situationally useful to begin with. If I have a stronger punishment available, I would probably go for it. Bite through shield or through platforms is a niche use

\Apples

Smash Journeyman
I'd say those are practically its only uses. But now with its 3.0 changes, I'll mostly use it to shift momentum in my favor when I see an opening for it and then just take whatever it gives me and work with it. #improvfundamentals

SixSaw

Smash Journeyman
Bite is one of Wario's most important moves imo. It makes Wario's air-to-ground game so much stronger.

\Apples

Smash Journeyman
It gets difficult to apply when your opponent is very wary of it. It's just so easy to beat, any attack cuts right through it and most characters have at least one OOS option for it.

arwildcats09

Smash Apprentice
Would anyone like to offer some constructive criticism for my Wario? A guy I played earlier did some online streaming.
http://www.twitch.tv/meechman3000/b/493751544

Starts at 2:18 vs Jiggs
8:33 vs Marth
And at 16:10 I get absolutely wrecked against Falcon.

A few notes:
-This is wifi, it's all I have to play against actually talented players until a tournament I'm going to on the 25th.
-When playing online, I do some seemingly dumb things. Miss L-Cancels, dash attack randomly, roll at weird times etc. So be wary of that.

Any suggestions, critiques, criticisms would be very helpful, so please be honest! I'm going to a PM/Melee tournament on the 25th so I'm trying to get some practice in.

2rd

Smash Rookie
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQ3QOx7MFWc&feature=youtu.be
Here are some netplay matches in low quality and I'd like some critique on certain things.
Firstly I have a calm gameplay and I focus more to reading opponents and mindgames but I don't know if it's too much. Some advice for that would be nice.
Second, I've only played PM for a month now. And third, how to approach more effectively? Since it seems that Wario's only option for that is bite and running grab.

SixSaw

Smash Journeyman
Are there any good recent (3.0 onward) vids of Reflex out there? I'm having trouble finding any.

arwildcats09

Smash Apprentice
um well stop side b ing off of the stage so much. honestly stop side b ing so much period, you kinda overused it and its terribad on shield. try mixing in a bite or a jump cancel grab i guess. you didnt grab at all that first match LOL
and what happened at 22:17? was that his grab armor stuff?
Noted, thank you. And due to wifi lag I end up not jump cancel grabbing very much because I always end up accidentally dash grabbing (Another reason I wish dash grab would have been removed over the crouch slide). Also thanks for the thoughts on bite. I always end up whiffing with it and getting punished, so I need to learn how to effectively mix it in.

As for 22:17, the video isn't loading for me for some reason so I can't answer your question.

Thanks for the feedback!

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahBsBTWMcPQ me vs Kels from the WDW from earlier this month, I made him finally rotate to Fox for my DK to eat up!

I got to play JReed in friendlies at APEX. I'm kind of annoyed I didn't have his bracket, I was beating him really solidly in Wario dittos and I didn't see him do anything in particular that I don't do. No offense to JReed he's super solid especially considering how new he is (he told me he started playing about half a year ago), I just think me/Reflex are better than he is atm.
BTW that Leffen set is games 2 & 3 of the set, I won game 1.

Last edited:

SixSaw

Smash Journeyman
First of all, I chuckled every time you let him bait you into a dair with dash dancing, since I've done that myself more than a few times and it really makes you feel like the biggest idiot. That's probably the single most important thing to remember about fighting Ness as Wario: his dash is faster than your air speed. Idk what it is about Ness players, maybe it's because it's all Ness has in neutral, but they tend to be really on point with their dash dancing. Basically what that means is that just jumping at him and throwing out an aerial will never work. The key to fighting Ness is just taking things slow and not committing to anything until you get a good opening. Ness is excellent at punishing you for overextending but has no means of forcing you into doing so. He relies on keeping you at a certain distance and walling you out with pk fire, fair, etc. If you position yourself inside his safe 'bubble' (basically the range at which he can use PK fire safely), he's forced to either commit to something like a fair or dash attack, or to retreat in order to use PK fire again. If he chooses the first option, you can space and punish accordingly. If he chooses the second option, the situation resets, except he can only do this so many times before he finds himself with his back to the edge, at which point he only has the first option. Ness is bad.

But anyway, I'd say that overall you should work on playing more patiently and safely. You approached really predictably and recklessly, and in general played too aggro, and that's what lost you the set. You also should practice getting more out of your punishes. A couple times on the last stock, you hit Ness with a nair but didn't follow up with anything. Converting even one of those into a combo or grab could easily have won you the match.

Whoami40

Smash Rookie
Thanks a lot man! That was my first tournament and I was super nervous, however I have been working on L cancels and edge cancels to quickly follow a nair with either a quick shield grab, short hop and bite, or short hop dair. If that is the correct follow up? Thank you though it really opened my eyes on the match up and things I could do to improve my game. Ill upload another video as soon as I get some more practice and footage

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
Premium
Reflex has mostly been playing Ivysaur to my knowledge. iirc, Carls has some footage in places as well, another pretty talented Wario.

ChiSports IV: A New Hope:
vs Zinoto (Mario) Winner's Finals
vs Zinoto (Mario) Grand Finals

Also
Columbus Smashfest 2 - Top 4 Bracket
(This was a 9 man pools to bracket event, for free so Columbus can continue to cultivate talent)
vs Suyon (Ike/Marth) Winner's Semi-Finals / @ 14:01
vs Fizzle (ROB) Winner's Finals / @ 40:15
vs Fizzle (Ganondorf, Zero Suit, Mario) Grand Finals / @ 1:34:55

All sets were 3/5.
His pool results were (none recorded): 1st Seed
vs DBSammy (Fox) W 3-2
vs Juushichi (Game and Watch, Sheik) L 2-3
vs AlfaStryke (Yoshi, Lucas) W 3-0

Last edited:

Mr.Pickle

Smash Lord
Hey guys, sorry I've been a little inactive on the wario boards for a while. Ever since low tier city I've been pretty flaky when it comes to tournaments and stuff, but I've recently gotten back into the groove of things.

Here are the sets I played in top 8 at KIT http://www.twitch.tv/smashstudios/b/498394851
(Skip to 04:00 to see my match with joot and 05:12 to see my match with nite.)

Unfortunately I don't think that anything before top 8 got recorded, which makes me very sad, as there were some pretty interesting matches that day...oh well. I'll try to get caught up watching all the other recent videos posted here, because I'm a little behind, but I'll catch up :D

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
I watched some vids in here and was gonna be all sad-face at the lack of Bites and half-charged Wafts...
It's all I've ever aimed for with this character, but everybody likes full charges and doing D-Air > mix-ups on people's shields.
It's cool, but I was sad-face.
Then I saw SB do a multi-Bite combo into a half-charge Waft for the last stock against a Sheik, and I was happy.
Then Fox showed up and it's not as fun as Sheik.
I'm glad it was there to see. I find that stuff pretty.
Farts and Bites are sexy.
Good stuff peeps.

Mr.Pickle

Smash Lord
I mean, I would rather use half charged fart instead of fully charged, but with only a 30ish second window to find a way to set it up, its not always easy lol. That multi bite string was pretty legit, ha ha I don't know why I haven't thought of that yet.

Nausicaa

Smash Lord
You mean you haven't thought of multi-Bites?
How do you even combo then?!?! XD
jkz, it's just like... so good, I don't even know what I would do without it (I guess more normal stuff)
You can chain-poke almost anyone across any stage repeatedly with Jab, D-Tilt, F-Throw, weak U-Air, F-Air, N-Air, and Bite. With a mix of full-hop Bites and F-Airs to catch people if they try getting away somehow, or simply pulling them to the ground.

Otherwise, for Wafts, those openings are a LOT more common than people in the vids I've seen seem to be treating it. It's 30 seconds, that's not 'much' time, but that's still a LOT of time. Think of it this way, if you connect a hit 20 seconds after using a fart (that's at least a couple attempts at breaking a raw-neutral from one side of the match or the other), then you have a Waft to end the combo/continue it with.
Even in that match with the Bite to half-waft kill, if you look at that instance and all the Full-Wafts that were taken, there were opportunities all over the place for the half-waft, which would have been extra juicy given how great the only half-waft of the sets was.
Edit: This goes for Bites too, really. The more Bite tech-chases, the better. < I'm bias about that though. Bites are just really sexy.
Double the Waft quantity (quality really doesn't drop that much/is worth the trade since it recharges by the time you're done edge-guarding anyway), double the fun.
Double the Bite, double the fun.
Double the Bite AND Waft, I'm drooling now...

Last edited:

Jreed420

Smash Cadet
bite might be wario's best move
In my opinion it is as we'll it is a strong way to continue those combos that quite don't work when ur opponent starts buffering shield or when ur opponent wavelands in from ledge not only that spaces recovery is completely out prioritized he will just slide into your mouth lol

Jreed420

Smash Cadet
I also find that chomp throw to fair pivot behind their shield chomp is like a gimped chain grab on certain characters depending on di

\Apples

Smash Journeyman
I would like to coin the term "BashDance" to describe the repeated use of land-canceled shoulder bashes back and forth as seen here:
http://youtu.be/25XFwqd6dyE?t=6m34s
HE'S FOUND THE SECRET

I do this but instead of doing it into an attack... grab. Epic. I never thought of going for pokes with Dtilt though, nice.

Bash Dance... I think you could certainly slap a name on this, but it's not really dance-like to me. I think people would also misunderstand often and actually confuse it with Dash Dance. I know it's supposed to be cute, but I think it's impractical.

Alpha Dash vs Willz http://youtu.be/bEW3hJOQv1k

Gonna start getting back into PM again properly. Been concentrating on Melee for a while now and I think it's time I balanced it out again.

Need tips for improvement.
Wow, your Wario plays a lot like mine.

Your spacing is good, but I can tell there's some of Wario's intricacies you're not totally in tune with yet that'll just come with more experience and toying around. You seem comfy with his basics though.

I'm not sure what to recommend cause that Falcon has no idea what to do against Wario, so honestly I think it'd be better if you could provide some footage against a better opponent.

Top Bottom