• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wario Video Thread - Show off or critique!

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
Carls is a up and coming talented Brawl Fox who really got onto Wario recently. I've been playing him since 2.5 and he has a good mindset and great baits, really frustrating. We place about the same, Mr. Pickle and I'm 1-1 vs him in Tournament.

Mr.Pickle

Smash Lord
Ha well thats good, always glad to see skilled players pick up wario, (I saw he had another video on here, kinda surprising that I never noticed it before lol). I'll also be keeping my eyes on that fancy g&w you got there. Obviously you have a lot of matchup experience against wario, so if I ever play you, I'll definitely have to be on my toes.

Juushichi

sugoi ~ sugoi ~
It'll be interesting for sure.

I'm glad someone picked up Wario after I got destroyed by Reflex at APEX, it opened my eyes to some things. Really looking forward to playing more of your region. I have my ear down there between M3t, Ryker and Reflex.

Hopefully I'll see you in Cincinnati this summer!

BryE

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ChaserTech
I actually want to pick up Wario myself. He has a lot of interesting options when it comes to confusing your opponent.

Not to mention I can use him as a backup character whenever I'm in a tournament. So far I got Link, Snake, and Lucas. I feel as if Wario will be a wildcard to possibly confuse a lot of players. (In my area, not many people are familiar with PM and mainly pick space animals).

Mr.Pickle

Smash Lord
I've won quite a few matches, and will probably win more, because my opponents have no idea what this crazy fat man in suspenders is doing. So yeah, he is really good in that kind of scenario. Be sure to post videos of yourself when you get the chance, I'm always interested in seeing other people's play styles.

Some videos from a small local event that happened yesterday. I need to shake the rust off; school has prevented me from playing much in the last couple weeks.
To be fair reflex, you've been carrying the meta for both ivy and squirtle on your shoulders for a couple of months, so its not that surprising your wario is a little rusty. I haven't watched all the videos, but from what I've seen, you're still really good with him. You still do those crazy footstool shenanigans that completely destroys your opponent, cause they have no idea what just happened lol...I still need to incorporate those into my gameplay, but I still don't understand them fully.

0RLY

A great conversation filler at bars and parties
Hey Reflex, though not exactly PM Wario related, do you still happen to have the links to the two Wario videos you had in your sig on the old PM forum? I need it to explain an embarrassing incident where I whispered "Wah" into someone's ear after I combo'd the shift out of him with Wario.

Edit: Oh, there it is. Right where it always is... It's like it never left. How did I miss it? >_<

Bite throw > shffl fair > fh fair > dj bite > chomp & land > bite throw > shffl fair > dj footstool dair > HNNNGH

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Playing Project M's Wario has gotten me interested in brawls Wario :)
They play pretty similarly in that they're both dynamic characters with good combo/pressure options once you manage to tap your opponent once. They're good at mixing people up and doing lots of damage on each individual hit.

QraQ

Smash Ace
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqT6ILPVFdE
So this is the Wario I've been training. I developed a couple of sig moves I do with em.
One is called "ClapTrap"
See if anyone can see what it is lol.
Either way I've been working pretty hard to get my Wario to this point even though is not my main.
Let me know what you think =].

Pretty good comeback vid with my patented "ClapTrap Fart Combo"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgEPzry8Udg

Ace55

Smash Lord
No thoughts on ma vids anyonez? =[[[[

I suspect the 'clap trap' is spamming upair as much as you can. Although I also love doing that (the combo of speed, power,range and combo potential is pretty amazing) you should probably stop once they are no longer above you d:.

QraQ

Smash Ace
I don't think you actually understand it's usability for shield pressure aka what ClapTrap actually is. It really isn't me spamming it as much as I can, there is a lot off spacing and timing involved in doing it. You can get in and out easily and one hit means more just based on the complex hitbox on Uair.
I'll upload more videos of it though. Many people in my area doubt it and now they get on me about how OP it is.
Also, the direction of the skill doesn't dictate the direction of it's use. FF uair is huge for combos with Wario imo.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
It does bad damage and rarely sets up for more than one other stray hit. N-Air is better in almost every way in all but very specific situations. Using U-Air for general spacing is not safe or very rewarding.

QraQ

Smash Ace
It does do bad damage, but it can setup many combos with ease if used with the correct spacing, timing, and use of the hitbox. I agree nair is better in most situations but I think Uair combos heavier. When I get the chance I'll upload a vid to outline the uses of Uair. I'm not trying to say you are necessarily wrong, I just don't think Uair has been fully utilized to it's potential from what I've seen.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Well, I'm always happy to see people wanting to push the metagame forward. Experimentation is key. :)

Ace55

Smash Lord
I don't think you actually understand it's usability for shield pressure aka what ClapTrap actually is. It really isn't me spamming it as much as I can, there is a lot off spacing and timing involved in doing it. You can get in and out easily and one hit means more just based on the complex hitbox on Uair.
I'll upload more videos of it though. Many people in my area doubt it and now they get on me about how OP it is.
Also, the direction of the skill doesn't dictate the direction of it's use. FF uair is huge for combos with Wario imo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=UqT6ILPVFdE#t=40s

This is what I meant. He's in front and below you and you proceed to fullhop double clap twice (followed by fullhop clap to fair), hitting twice with the second clap but not capitalizing on either hit. This gave me the impression that you were just spamming it for the hell of it and I still don't really see the point of using it that way against a grounded opponent.

I still don't agree with your seemingly pessimistic view of the move though Reflex. In the air you outmaneuver basically everybody and you should be able to keep them above you for some time. Most dairs are either beaten or outsped drastically (all of the stomps). Imo it's on of the best juggle moves I've come across in smash.

I'll try to go all Wario next tourney (unless I lose or have to face Ivy lol), he's such a blast to play.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Added QraQ to the names list as silver, and I added all the listed videos to the front page.

Ace55

Smash Lord
Got a bunch of sets coming up from my tourney yesterday. I went all Wario except losers and grandfinals.

Little team highlight vid I made:

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Frustrating thing: Video links don't work like they're supposed to since SmashBoards made the new server switch, so all the links I've put up in the last few months don't work on the front page. :(

Oracle

Smash Master
went wario in teams yesterday, got 2nd. we beat awestin+xeven, one of the better teams in the area. vids are here, they'll be on youtube sometime this week probably

QraQ

Smash Ace
This biggest thing I can see that you need work on is your approach with Wario. It seems as if you use DI and fairs to gain an opening. I think maybe using Side-B jump and crouch to approach helps a lot with Wario's game. I use a lot of tech read after Side-B jump to hit a dair then let the combos flow.
Also nair is huge for positioning on their shield.

AbstractLogic

Smash Journeyman
Against Dedede specifically short hops aren't as good and he outranges you hard so in the neutral game you should use more Full hop B-airs for one.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
i used wario game 3 against fly amanita at ltc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P--yhHbUCM8&t=9m25s
(Sound is horribly desynced, would suggest muting)

any critique welcome, especially from Luis

A lot of the trouble is that you were playing the matchup wrong. You tried to open him up via ground poking, which does not work reliably against Dedede. He has too many options that counter and out-damage you (CC leads to his enormous grab, tilts, shuffled F-Air, he outranges you safely, etc.), and Wario isn't fast enough on the ground to reliably give chase against Dedede there; it's relatively easy for him to go back to neutral position that way. You want to get him in the air so he has significantly fewer options.

Smart use of rising fullhop F-Air is your safest bet in neutral position, as Dedede's B-Air and F-Air are his best tools by far to deal with it. F-Air is intimidating but is slow to come out, while B-Air is fast but doesn't have much range, so good weaving through the air will allow you to find holes and combo, whereas Dedede only gets one or two hits when he gets a read there. Since F-Air sends him upward, you get more per hit, and you have to commit less. Use your ground game once you have him in a tech-chase position, but otherwise this is a match that will be won in the air.

N-Air's double-hit properties also help with crossing up, and his fatness makes him a prime target for Bite/grab stuff, which is great for catching his landings. Pressure his offstage game with N-Air, F-Air, and B-Air; Dedede is basically forced to swing with B-Air or F-Air and if he guesses incorrectly, he's probably dead.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Righto. I'll keep workin on my Wario. He should be up there with my DK in a few months, I feel. I picked up Wario less than 2 months ago!

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771

\Apples

Smash Journeyman
Here's me getting hosed by Otto (He's so scary). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jwKACXTEW8 (2-0 Silent Wolf)
And me vs. BaleFireBoy's DDD (Yes, BFB came out of hiding for PM. :D). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zs9MpBCFLG0 (2-1 Apples)

From the last Gameclucks. Too bad mine and Meta's $5 MM didn't get recorded, **** was hype and it would've been a great set to add to this list considering that besides my set with SW, there are no other Wario V Wolf sets. For anyone curious, it was 3-2 Meta, last stock every stock. Tight battles. Hopefully Gimpy will have his recording setup running by next GC and we'll have a lot more footage to upload.

Every time I watch one of my matches I see so much that can be improved on...maybe I'm too hard on myself lol.
We're all terrible at this game lol. Let's be real, we're human.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
vidjos from da tourney

Darkatma (Sheik) vs. Strong Bad (Wario) WS (1:40 for some nasty stuff)
metroid (Ike) vs Strong Bad (Wario) WF
metroid (Charizard) vs. Strong Bad (Wario) GF

Feel free to comment or critique or whatever but I generally know what I need to work on. Just habits and getting more familiar with the character. Also worth noting is that this literally my first time playing Smash in a full month, thankfully I was able to pull it out in the end. Really enjoying Wario, I'll probably be co-maining him going into the future of PM tournaments.

Top Bottom