• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wario Video Thread - Show off or critique!

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Just making a home for PM Wario videos on SmashBoards. I'll organize it by date and character fought. Non-demo 2.5 videos will be placed at the bottom of each section and added with strikethrough. There's a color code for players at the bottom of this post; if you want a specific color that is not currently in use, let me know and I'll change yours.

Tutorial:​
vs. Bowser :bowser2:
vs. Captain Falcon :falconmelee:
vs. Charizard :charizard:
vs. Diddy Kong :diddy:
vs. Donkey Kong :dk2:
vs. Falco :falcomelee:
vs. Fox :fox:
vs. Ganondorf :ganondorf:
vs. Ike :ike:
vs. Ivysaur :ivysaur:
vs. Jigglypuff :jigglypuff:
vs. King Dedede :dedede:
vs. Link :link2:
vs. Lucario :lucario:
vs. Lucas :lucas:
vs. Luigi :luigi:
vs. Mario :mario2:
vs. Marth :marthmelee:
vs. Mr. Game and Watch :gw:
vs. Ness :ness2:
vs. Peach :peach:
vs. Pikachu :pikachu:
vs. Pit :pit:
vs. R.O.B. :rob:
vs. Sheik :sheikmelee:
vs. Snake :snake:
vs. Sonic :sonic:
vs. Squirtle :squirtle:
vs. Toon Link :toonlink:
vs. Wario :warioc:
vs. Wolf :wolf:
vs. Zelda :zelda:
vs. Zero Suit Samus :zss:
Doubles Videos:
Non-Demo 2.5 Videos--

vs. Bowser :bowser2:
vs. Captain Falcon :falconmelee:
vs. Charizard :charizard:
vs. Donkey Kong :dk2:
vs. Falco :falcomelee:
vs. Fox :foxmelee:
vs. Ganondorf :ganondorf:
vs. Ike :ike:
vs. Jigglypuff :jigglypuff:
vs. Link :link2:
vs. Lucario :lucario:
vs. Lucas :lucas:
vs. Luigi :luigi2:
vs. Mario :mario2:
vs. Marth :marthmelee:
vs. Mr. Game and Watch :gw:
vs. Ness :ness2:
vs. Peach :peachmelee:
vs. Pikachu :pikachu2:
vs. Pit :pit:
vs. R.O.B. :rob:
vs. Sheik :sheikmelee:
vs. Snake :snake:
vs. Sonic :sonic:
vs. Toon Link :toonlink:
vs. Wario :warioc:
vs. Wolf :wolf:
vs. Zelda :zelda:
Color code--
4% APR - Green
abcool - Sandy Brown
Ace - Maroon
Alpha Dash - Orange
Apples - Lime
bstuk - Yellow
Carls - Olive
Dr. Yogi - Gray
JCaesar - Red
Mr. Pickle - Dark Green
Oracle - Sky Blue
QraQ - Silver
Ryuker - Teal
Revven - Sienna
Super - Plum
TheReflexWonder - Purple
Zef - Wheat

Oracle

Smash Master
Oracle [Wario] vs. Zachattack [Marth]\
Keep in mind that this wasn't the final version of 2.5 (about a week ish before release) so this wario isn't technically the same as the current one (though i believe the only relevant difference was the back throw, which i never used anyways)

Mr.Pickle

Smash Lord
Its his new side b, if you played brawl you might remember it being a bike he rides on. Now on project m its a shoulder bash.

Countblanc

Smash Rookie
Its his new side b, if you played brawl you might remember it being a bike he rides on. Now on project m its a shoulder bash.
Sorry, I meant right before he does that. He shifts to the left a bunch and it makes a wooshing sound, and then he does is side b after. It's probably something really obvious and I'm gonna feel stupid, but yeah.

Ace55

Smash Lord
Sorry, I meant right before he does that. He shifts to the left a bunch and it makes a wooshing sound, and then he does is side b after. It's probably something really obvious and I'm gonna feel stupid, but yeah.
As far as I can tell he just double jumps and the wooshing sound is Falcon's upB.

I'm uploading some Wario ditto's and matches vs Marth. I'll post them when they're finished.

Translucent

Smash Journeyman
Wow Reflex, your Wario never ceases to amaze. It's awesome how it seems that you can assess the situation so quickly and choose a great move.

:phone:

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Added your videos and your color. Also gave Rejuker a teal color, even if he never intends on using Wario again.

I'll take a look at your videos after I finish this puzzle.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
This is about your Marth matches--I'm not going to note specific times, but, these are in order of when I thought it would be worth mentioning something.

If you start Bite in the air, the grab hitbox is smaller than the grounded version, so try to outright overlap opponents when you're landing with it.

Definitely vary up your close-range game more. Jab1 -> Jab2 is relatively easy to crouch cancel and punish, so try more Jab1 -> grab and D-Tilt. Also, don't forget about the glory of N-Air as a general poking tool; it's not just a gimping machine and a combo starter. Wario's ability to weave and the long-lasting hitbox makes it worth considering. You also D-Smash a lot--That can be crouch-canceled by the opponent at any percent. Jab combo and D-Smash are easy to understand and use, but they are easy to defend against when they get predictable. Mix them up and they become much more useful.

I find N-Air to be a better combo move at lower percents, especially against opponents with a fast, safe aerial they can retaliate with (Marth F-Air, in this case). The fact that it hits twice allows you to land immediately after the second hit and follow up with something else; they're in hitstun longer that way, so even when it doesn't lead to true combos (though it does in some cases), you have better frame advantage, and the long-lasting hitbox stands a better chance of stuffing opponents' late attacks.

Don't forget about strong F-Throw (hold A before you input Forward); if the opponent is at higher percents, it makes for easier and/or more potential for gimps and edgeguards. Depends on the opponent, really; just experiment with them and you'll find what works best on each character. I personally feel that N-Air pressure offstage works excellently against a Marth who's been thrown far.

Punishing opponents who Up-B past the ledge is often best done with ledgehop Bite. 13% for free and you create a lose-lose situation for the opponent if you throw him off the stage. Either he DIs toward the stage and gives you a free follow-up, or he DIs away at a semi-spike angle and has a difficult time recovering.

Don't bother with D-Air if the opponent's percent is too high to follow up on after a ground bounce. D-Air is (probably) Wario's slowest attack, so in the time you could land a D-Air, a B-Air or Bite probably would benefit you more while still being easier to land/time. If the opponent is at a high percent (and sometimes lower, but it's all situation-specific), it's just as effective and much safer to land a sourspot N-Air for edgeguarding, as it semi-spikes, ends much faster, and allows you to maintain horizontal aerial mobility throughout the attack. Mixing up normal fall and fastfall N-Air is also helpful to make it more consistent for edgeguarding.

Nice strings at the beginning of the first FoD match. Still, I would recommend trying to get comfortable with weak F-Throw/D-Throw mix-ups, as they tend to be more reliable for follow-ups than U-Throw on average, in my experience.

I'm starting to see better use of N-Air for edgeguarding halfway through the video. Good stuff. Remember, against most characters, you can N-Air their Up-B as they're coming up. You'll usually trade at worst, leaving you to recover and the opponent to die.

If you're worried about whether or not the opponent is high enough to cleanly land a N-Air after you leave the ground, they're usually in prime position to be grabbed by Bite, which deals more damage and gives you a free mix-up. Unless they don't have their double-jump or they're at a really high percent (and if your hits are barely popping them up, they probably aren't), try to default to Bite in that worrisome scenario.

That's about it for the Marth video. You have some nasty habits to break, but you have the right idea, IMO. Just play around with some more options.

EDIT: Now for info after the Wario ditto stuff--

You both seem to default to comfortable, predictable options when you don't have complete control over the situation. Jab1 should sometimes be followed up by a grab or tilt. If you decide to jump over your opponent with Forward-B, don't double-jump backward and D-Air; the height gives you opponent all the time in the world to respond to it. Try to refrain from using the same option twice in a row most of the time.

Also, with the great amount of speed characters have in this game, air approaches are quite viable. Wario is really good at this, and you're probably aware of that, but the reason I mention this is because slow grounded options aren't very useful in the neutral game; you shouldn't go for F-Tilt unless the opponent is in a compromising, uncomfortable position, such as after a tech, or trying to get back on the stage from a ledge. It's just too easy to run jump over and punish.

Try not to use U-Air outside of KO/fastfaller combo opportunities unless you don't really have anything else that will hit an opponent at that point (and even then, you're probably better using an Up-B!). 99% of the time, you can deal comparable damage while setting up for more stuff, such as Bite, D-Air, footstool, or late N-Air (if they'll have to tech on a platform afterward).

Be smarter about your move and movement choices at low percents. An F-Smash can get punished even when you hit at very low percents. Some aerials strings, such as F-Air -> anything, can be interrupted by most opponents' N-Airs at low percents, so either use N-Air for better frame advantage there or retreat after a successful hit.

Ace55

Smash Lord
Thanks man!

Yeah I have this weird habit of repeating a move if I barely whiff with it. Mostly apparent in my barrage of dsmashes. And I've been jabbing like a madman ever since 2.0 lol. I'll try to limit my use of dsmash (especially when edgegaurding Marth, I missed like 9 out of 10 attempts) and mix my jab pressure up more.

I don't understand weak fthrow, I don't think I've ever gotten a followup out of it. Meanwhile I've been getting consistent upairs after upthrow in 2.0, 2.1 and 2.5 against like the whole cast (minus fastfallers at low%, who you get other stuff against). I don't get it, I know it's not supposed to work, but it does.

Oh and Rejuker mained Wario in 2.1 and before (he was a playtester for a while) so you'll probably see more vids of him eventually.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I don't understand weak fthrow, I don't think I've ever gotten a followup out of it. Meanwhile I've been getting consistent upairs after upthrow in 2.0, 2.1 and 2.5 against like the whole cast (minus fastfallers at low%, who you get other stuff against). I don't get it, I know it's not supposed to work, but it does.

Oh and Rejuker mained Wario in 2.1 and before (he was a playtester for a while) so you'll probably see more vids of him eventually.
It doesn't really net you guaranteed follow-ups, but it puts you in a position where the opponent has to guess in order to avoid your next move if they don't DI correctly. The Forward-B/Dash Grab mix-up is a great follow-up, as they can either jump (which is caught by a Forward-B -> jump) or fall into shield (which is caught by Dash Grab). F-Air follow-up is safe and pretty reliable. The idea is to mix it up with D-Throw, as incorrect DI gives you many more options to pressure and add more damage afterward.

Good to hear that Rejuker is here to stay; glad to see people interested in the character.

I'll put it up. You want a specific color?

You need to improve the way you apply pressure. D-Air moves toward the opponent, but it takes a while to start up, so it's easy to see coming and shield/avoid/punish, but you use it quite liberally. If you start using an aerial Bite to mix it up, the opponent won't feel comfortable with just shielding your aerial approaches, which gives you more damage and makes it so that you can sneak in more D-Air, since he won't be so keen on shielding.

If you're not sure about whether or not you'll be able to follow up, using retreating aerials should help. You keep staying in Snake's space after you F-Air him at low percents, and that's not safe. Use the longer-lasting, two-hit N-Air to cross him up and make it hard for him to retaliate if he shields.

Throw out more attacks in general. You can't hurt an opponent if you don't have an attack out. Obviously, don't attack randomly, but with Wario's excellent aerial mobility, he can safely control a decent amount of space by weaving in and out with aerials. Remember, there's generally no penalty for missing a move as long as you can keep yourself safe afterward, which is why retreating aerials are so useful.

Whenever your shield is being pressured, you just sit there doing nothing too long. You can jump out of shield with a N-Air, F-Air, or Up-B immediately after shielding a move to counterattack more efficiently.

Get used to using your faster attacks more often. Even if you bypass an opponent's initial defense, if you use slow attacks, your opponent will have plenty of time to prepare a shield, a roll, etc. You cover more space at once with moves like N-Air and D-Smash, meaning they have to do more to avoid them.

Also, dashdancing and wavedashing don't mean a thing if they aren't used to some purpose. There are many instances where you use them in neutral position and then just move away every time. Sometimes you need to go into an aerial, a Forward-B, or a Dash Grab from there. The point is to create misdirection so they don't say, "Oh, he's moving, which means he's going to attack me." If your movement is ambiguous, it's harder to defend against. Also, wavedashing isn't nearly as useful for Wario as it is for most characters, because his other movement options, such as dashdancing and weaving left and right in the air, are so versatile by themselves.

You have the right idea in comboing with N-Air -> grab, but, you missed because you weren't used to how far forward you have to move after the N-Air hits. Don't get discouraged from using it, as it's one of Wario's most universally-useful strings. Remember that the opponent has to worry about the second hit even if he shields the first. You can choose to either retreat after the first hit or stay in to catch an early shield drop. Mixing it up is key.

You need to be more proactive when it comes to edgeguarding. A lot of characters can't reasonably throw out an attack to hurt you while they're trying to recover, and Wario can cover a lot of distance while still being able to move back to the stage afterward. Jump out and try a N-Air or B-Air sometime. Since B-Air has a larger hitbox, it's more likely to get through Snake's Up-B electricity without hurting you in the process. If they're predictable, it's an easy D-Air. Use your imagination, try out different options, and it'll feel natural in time.

Get used to reading opponent's defensive habits. Remember that it's often more useful to attack where people will (probably) be than to attack where they are. Many people will try to roll past you if you corner them at the edge of the stage, so it should be as simple as turning around and punishing with whatever you want. Different players have different habits, but you should be able to pick up on them after a while.

Zef

Smash Ace
nah, i dont care about name colour. thanks a lot for the insight, youre a good *** wario. im not really used to wario at the moment, so i get nervous when i edgeguard with nair cause i always get punished

more is being uploaded atm, i just have ****ty internet speed so ill post em at once i guess

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Yeah, I added it after seeing it in the PM Social thread. I would recommend just editing the original post next time instead of double-posting; I pop in here enough times to see it around.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I put all the non-2.5 videos and put them at the bottom of the OP in a collapsed section.

Question--Since Doubles videos often involve significantly more character switching, should I most Doubles stuff to its own section? I think it looks kind of sloppy among Singles videos, but that might just be me.

Should I put Doubles stuff at the bottom (ordered by date)? I wouldn't collapse them in that case.

Oracle

Smash Master
Probably. I don't think anyone would care if you didn't separate the parts that involved wario; just make a note of which matches involve him. Also friendlies vs. tournament might be a useful divider

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Probably. I don't think anyone would care if you didn't separate the parts that involved wario; just make a note of which matches involve him. Also friendlies vs. tournament might be a useful divider
The problem is not what videos involve Wario, but how it's currently organized by "vs. each character." My idea would be to put them all together (while still listing characters in parenthesis).

I'll do a friendlies vs. tournament thing if people want, but, I don't see a significant different, personally. Maybe bold text for tournament matches.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
One thing, and it's hard/not reliable, but reacting to missed techs and farting people is a huge punish. People aren't too used to Wario so far, and he sets up a lot of tech chases and knockdowns if they don't tech appropriately. Or say you hit them at a lower % with Dair and they miss the tech. If you have a fart, try to land that bad boy on the spot. Or if platforms are available, throw them up. If they try to DI away from the platform, see what % and character they are because you can definitely combo it on some of the fast fallers. If they go to the platform, then react appropriately.

Vs people who are very quick up close, if you get stuck in shield many times you will have to pick a different option than shield grabbing. Nair OOS or Usmash or Upb even. They aren't great options, but cover more of his body/different options in case they hit your shield and try to go above you or do something else.

Offstage, sometimes you will have to be aggressive vs Spacies. Nair is your best edge overall edge guarding move, especially the second hit. Land that on a Fox/Falco offstage, and half the time he's outright dead.

Edit: With your back to the edge, if you are close enough sometimes Dthrow is better than Bthrow to send people off. With poor DI, you can get a free Waft or Dair. The optimal DI for Dthrow is away, while for Bthrow it's towards (and the optimal DI for Dthrow is similar to Bthrow, so you can threaten the Fthrow mixup to catch bad DI or Dthrow). Do Dthrow quick enough and they may be caught off guard. If they are close enough that DI inside puts them on the ground, you've basically cornered them in a bad spot and can land anything with the appropriate response or reaction. It's really good and I recommend doing Dthrow more near the edge vs the fast fallers: floatier characters can DI away and it's much less of an issue. Having Falco land onstage near the edge at 30%, and have to worry about a Waft Side B Fsmash Dair etc is a pretty good spot to be in, vs say Bthrow where people will likely DI it well and might not have too much trouble recovering.

Ace55

Smash Lord
Uploaded a ton of friendly best of 5 sets against Ryuker. He switches characters a lot during sets (I don't at all).

Here's my Wario. Opponents are Marth, Mario, Sheik, Falcon, Luigi.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DFIbbEbvsM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7PMB9iqzDY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tGkutpv8Lc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAwGUF1aWSQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7aWLxnoXfQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sRm76oiwwY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1D3iMQt_RRU

Trying to mix up my jabs more need to do it more though. Using nair more, especially as an edgegaurd. Still rocking the upthrow -> upair though. And going for more side-b edgegaurds.

Here's Ryuker's Wario against my Bowser and Zard. Time stamped at the right match.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=OFNmzpVEsFU#t=243s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=bBfKTiKm6kA#t=170s

Oh yeah, you're supposed to write 'Rejuker' as 'Ryuker'. I messed up the spelling last time.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Fixed Ryuker's name and added your new videos.

As an aside, would you rather the list have you as "Ace" instead of "Ace55"?

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Reflex is close to perfect with offstage Nairs. I didn't even think Wario could be that ballsy offstage with Nair but I was wrong.

\Apples

Smash Journeyman
Yeah man you can pretty much just jump off after them, although I prefer to jump off a platform when I can.

The main thing that has impressed me about these matches is Wario's Utilt. Reflex makes really good use of it. Especially if you can get a weak hit on it into rest, that's pretty sweet. I know his hands are invincible, but I could never get comfy with the move.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
N-Air is probably Wario's best move. The hitbox matches his body better now, and there is less endlag than there was in Brawl (of which there wasn't much to begin with). He can still play the same mindgames with N-Air weaving stuff on-stage, gets combos and tech-chased on sourspot hits, and can make so many options dangerous for a recovering opponent.

A lot of characters who are used to shorthop approaches or think they can D-Air you with impunity have to think twice, because it lets you get free follow-ups on a late hit at any percent, free follow-ups on an early hit at lower percents, and it's a decently strong KO move at high percents. The hitboxes last for a while.

abcool

Smash Ace
Really nice stuff, Reflex. That Wario is looking nice and broken. I am loving it lol. Seriously though, Wario has so many options now.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
I've noticed that Nair vertically seems to cover much better than traditional sex kicks. I dunno if that's the hand hitboxes being huge, or whether he's got some balloon inflated body hitbox now, but it feels really nice.

Quick question: I've seen a lot of situations where you have the opponent close to you, say after a low % Nair, and you go for Jab 1 into grab. This all makes sense, but I'm curious why not Dtilt over Jab in those spots? I'll be in those situations and go for the Dtilt (disclaimer: big reason I do this is because I'm lazy, and after FFing the Nair I can just hold down and press A. On a more minor note, if I goof up and need to CC/Tech, I'm already holding towards the ground. Still main reason is that I'm lazy) and it seems to basically be about the same as Jab, maybe harder to get a grab but easier for a different punish. Is there something notable like frame data or ability to CC that I'm missing, that makes Jab the better option? Does it just work better/safer vs shields or are you just accustomed to Jab 1 there? Wario has so many option up close, after a quick little smack, that I feel maybe I'm neglecting Jab because of how much I ****ing love Dtilt. Or I skip the jab and go right into the grab, but miss out on the jab or Dtilt damage. I feel like I have a good handle on most Wario stuff, except for that 1 area because there's so much you could go for. Even Upb after a low % Nair or Dtilt/Jab can work. He's just a playground of choices up close lol.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I look for grabs a lot, and I find Jab1 tends to follow into it more easily. Jab1's also a little faster (Jab1 is Frame 2, and I'm not sure how fast D-Tilt is; maybe Frame 4 or still 5) which can work better when landing from something like a weak N-Air or F-Air follow-up depending on percents.

That said, they both have their uses, and D-Tilt is more practical in general due to spacing being easier to manage, the fact that they're both reasonably fast options, and D-Tilt dealing more damage. I'm sure some of it is due to Brawl habit, but, much like Brawl Wario, a lot of it is very depending on positioning and percents. Knowing what barely works and what barely doesn't due to knockback or tight frame data is very helpful as Wario.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
That's what I'm trying to figure out, because I know there are gonna be scenarios where I'd want Dtilt or Upb or normal grab, and Jab will be better. Or %'s where Dtilt won't be CC'd but jab will, etc. I'm getting away with some probably less than optimal choices for now, because I figure most of them are "fast enough" that it doesn't matter.

Mr.Pickle

Smash Lord
Top Bottom