• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wario Video & Critique Thread -- Diamond City Theater

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
I'm not saying that the things he did aren't impressive. He his playing aggressive though I'm not sure how you can claim that he isn't. Limit the MK's option / punishing them =/= a type of playstyle. It's like you said playing smart. However, when I said he's playing aggressive it's not meant to be used as a negative connotation. There's a clear difference between the way he played against d3 and the way he played against MK.

I'm also not saying camp MK from the gate for 8 minutes. There's nothing wrong with being aggressive vs MK however, when you have a lead stock lead with 4 minutes left in the match why are you still rushing hte MK down? This is where he should of switched gears and decided to slow down the match and make the MK come to him. Instead of that he continued the rush down and eventually lost. If we compare that to what he did against the Tlink in which he extended his 2nd stock to about 200 percent. Maybe he wasn't expecting to die so early against MK however, why doesn't the mind state shift from being aggro to I should protect the lead I have. He did it against the Tlink but failed to do it against the MK.

That's not to say Masky sucks or he's horrible terrible Wario blah blah blah because that's not the case. His wario is indeed top notch that does a lot of things well. However, there are things that we can see from his match and learn and grow from it. The good things he does and the bad things he does. Going back and watching it even more I'd say to relax on the spot dodge > spot dodge or the spot dodge > fsmash.

did you forget me? :<
No, I didn't. I don't add every Wario that post vids.

(S!C)

Smash Journeyman
oh and why i thought if i post the vids and it would be ok about the rules everything wheres right?

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
That's for the people who already are on the front page. Everyone else can add vids and if I feel as though you're fit to be on the front page I'll add your vids to the front page as long as you follow the rules. I can't have just anyone Wario that follows the rules added then they would be too many people getting their vids on the front page.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Perhaps the list would be smaller if you removed ALL OUTDATED VIDS BECAUSE 90% of them is.
I disagree the problem with the list isn't the age of the videos. I just don't wont to have 30000 thousand warios who post a vid on the list. Also I'm not really sure what has changed from 2008-2009-2010 in Wario's metagame for things to be different. A CG that only like 2 Wario's do? Besides a lot of Wario's should use the old videos as reference to build their Wario even better. How are you going to know where to go when you don't even know where you came from?

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
what in particular should i be looking at? movement spacing punishment etc?

is there a "better" way to play the mu matchup? like campy or aggro? or is it really just "play smart"
How they approach. How they punish. How they space. Also you should ask yourself what you would do in certain situations. Don't just look and the vids and go ZOMG the combos. But actually question why they're doing X or Y move and if you would do something differently.

I think it's better to err on the side of caution and always make sure to weigh your risk vs the rewards. You gotta make sure to be able to punish when those chances a rise and know how/ what to punish with.

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
How they approach. How they punish. How they space. Also you should ask yourself what you would do in certain situations. Don't just look and the vids and go ZOMG the combos. But actually question why they're doing X or Y move and if you would do something differently.

I think it's better to err on the side of caution and always make sure to weigh your risk vs the rewards. You gotta make sure to be able to punish when those chances a rise and know how/ what to punish with.
ya seemse like what i usually do. thx. And um is there a way to determine the actualy spacing on waft and such cuz the hitbox bubbles in thread are no where near what some wafts hit like in upper right corners and **** like that.

Pwneroni

Smash Lord
Try to hit in between his moves. Yes, it is difficult. Yes, it is a long road. However the reward at the end is well worth it: beating Meta Knight.

Kuro~

Nitoryu Kuro
Lol i dont have a problem landing farts...just was curious about the hitbox and as to why its so much more disjointed than in the thread.but ya in between moves seems hard. Ima use wario in friendlies first time at tourney on sat. This way i can develop my own style with him. Then ill work on gettin good with him i just feel he's a better choice for mk than others...imo

Pwneroni

Smash Lord
My suggestions:

Have a "table of contents" of Warios at the beginning where you can click on each one and it brings you to their list of videos (is this possible???) (if it's not possible maybe use the [ hidden ] thingy for each player)

Organize each player's vids by date (instead of character) and have the date/character/opponent listed next to each one

Get rid of wifi videos
That sounds pretty good. Oh and ahem, put me on the list please.

Lord Chair

Smash Master
Err, yes the metagame has changed since 08 lol. If only because people actually started using nair.

Also, Wario's metagame has changed in the sense that other characters' metagames have vastly improved. MKs don't jump in the **** as much as before, Marths can actually consistently do fsmash tippers out of GR, people have finally learned how to deal with tires and people actually SDI dair now.

Of course, there's more. I did wager I didn't have to tell you that the game has changed in the last 3 years, I figured that was a given. It's annoying that you seem to be either too ignorant or too uncaring, especially since you're the one in charge of the video thread. I never came here in the first place, but actually browsing it through it just seems way too awkward for use. No one wants to have to browse for ages just to find a semi-decent video.

- Remove wifi videos, why were they there in the first place?
- Remove everything that's older than august 2010, why do you still consider PhantomX's vids against Reflex from FEBRUARY *New*?
- Remove every video that's just terrible. I've seen S!C play and I'm pretty sure that his matches would be more watchable than over half of the videos currently in the OP.
- Sort matches by matchup, not by player.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
The vids that I consider new are new of that person. When they add new vids I remove the tags and put the new vids as new. Also I'm not really sure how the metagame has changed....don't get grabbed.....The date on the videos do not matter. I'd really wish you'd stop with this old dated old mantra. The use of nair is nothing new nor is it a revelation I can pull up vids of PX using nair extremely well. Like I really don't get it. Also people have been able to DI out of Dair for a long time once again nothing that is new a revolution or something we haven't known since it's been determined multi hit moves can be DI'd. Anything a character can do to Wario out a GR is a moot point because like I said early don't get grabbed. That once again is not a new concept.

I'm sorry if you feel as though vids are out dated. However, Wario's metagame hasn't changed to the extent of which you've claimed. If you haven't watched all of the videos in the video thread(based on your post it's clearly evident that you haven't) Then I'd suggest you rethink your old videos = bad game. Nothing you've said has any validity nor does it point to a change in Wario's metagame. I'm sorry but that's the truth. However, this isn't the first time you've made claims about stuff being old. If I look at some of your other post in other threads it's clear that you're on some new age Wario kick when in actuality there really isn't anything new.

As for the wifi videos can you point to the videos that are wifi so that I know which ones to be removed?

Dynomite

Smash Champion
NNID
GA_Dyno
I do agree with some things pointed out by AL:

Just because some vids are outdated doesnt mean they are bad.

Also, the metagame has improved for wario, but not nearly as much as chair makes it sound. There hasn't been anything really ground breaking aside from the forbiden technique, which must never speak of or use in tournament matches.

Wario has many different tools that can be used MANY different ways.

I, personally, think that this thread should be organized, personally, I think they should be organized by matchups going down the tierlist.

Lord Chair

Smash Master
I never said Wario's own metagame has improved, the general metagame of the game has.

All points are null compared to the main thing. Newsflash: people are better today than they were 2 years ago. It's like watching '08 Anther vids because you want to develop your Pikachu, or TSL4 vids of Mr. R. Same counts for Wario.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
I never said Wario's own metagame has improved, the general metagame of the game has.

All points are null compared to the main thing. Newsflash: people are better today than they were 2 years ago. It's like watching '08 Anther vids because you want to develop your Pikachu, or TSL4 vids of Mr. R. Same counts for Wario.
I would never watch any vids of Mr R to learn any character so your point doesn't hold any value. I'd rather watch 08 Neo than 2010 Mr r.

Seriously other characters have different AT's that they've learned compared to Wario who isn't a character that is about AT but how he's played during a MU. It's more important for a wario main to be able to read their own opponent and punish them well and no matter if the video is from 2008 or 2010 it doesn't change those simple facts.

SnackAttack

Smash Champion
What Lord Chair is trying to say I think, is that we're not necessarily supposed to watch videos just to learn Wario, but also to learn how other Warios handle certain situations.

What he's saying is that things from other characters besides Wario in these videos are outdated and therefore should be removed so that we can know more of what to expect in certain matchups.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Yeah, our options have changed because people have started to learn how to limit them.
Want to give an example or do you like talking vague and ambiguous like this ?

What Lord Chair is trying to say I think, is that we're not necessarily supposed to watch videos just to learn Wario, but also to learn how other Warios handle certain situations.

What he's saying is that things from other characters besides Wario in these videos are outdated and therefore should be removed so that we can know more of what to expect in certain matchups.

What has changed with the characters that are different ? Like I'm sure characters and players are getting better however, the fundamentals and concepts are the same. if you can point to these situations then I'd like to see it.

Also it's not as though the old videos are even taking up space when ever I update I add the vids and the players when the new vids are added...So I'm not really sure what the problem is.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
I deleted all the vids on the first page since I didn't feel like going through them by date wifi online blah blah blah. Post vids and follow the rules of the first page.

Lord Chair

Smash Master
I understand how annoying it is and will be for Wario to build up a new video list from the scratch, especially because no one seems to get anything uploaded. I suppose anything starting from June '10 should be doable, but a more important thing we should focus on is actually getting **** online.

Pwneroni

Smash Lord
I heartily agree with Lord Chair. He has a stronger argument, and I support it. IMO the only "old" videos, aka videos more than 3 or 4 months old you should watch are steps in Wario's history through Brawl. Futile and Fiction are still awesome to watch to this very day. They inspired me to greater heights, but those videos are not what we should be looking at for advice. Maybe they would fit better in a "Ledgendary Wario Section" of the thread or something?

Oh and put me on the list please. I've supplied more than enough videos, recently and also in the near future. If dynomite has a spot, I believe I should have one as well!

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
Damn there's going to be a lot of vids for me to add. Just ignore the rules and I'll update on sunday once we start getting some vids in then the rules can apply again. So just post some material nad Ill try to keep it updated. Also if you guys can say the MU that it in or the player they up against (as long as it's a well known player) then it will be easier on me when I update the vids.

Pwneroni

Smash Lord
Awesome I'll get on it!

@Dynomite: Dude I love how you play against ICs and Snake haha. I think I'm too aggressive in those matchups! I was thinking about incorporating a lot more tires in my game against ICs, we'll see how that works on Saturday!

Dynomite

Smash Champion
NNID
GA_Dyno
Awesome I'll get on it!

@Dynomite: Dude I love how you play against ICs and Snake haha. I think I'm too aggressive in those matchups! I was thinking about incorporating a lot more tires in my game against ICs, we'll see how that works on Saturday!
The matches i played that day (against snake/shiek/ic) were in result of masky's inspiration.

Best ive ever played.. I think.

Top Bottom