• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Wario Q&A and Help Thread - What's Wario Land

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
How exactly does Wario's bike work when it's tossed downwards? I've had times where tossing it downwards would make it move slightly forward and other times where it would just bounce in place.

Revax

Smash Cadet
NNID
Revax0
How exactly does Wario's bike work when it's tossed downwards? I've had times where tossing it downwards would make it move slightly forward and other times where it would just bounce in place.
Assuming you're on flat ground, throwing it like a d-tilt will make the bike bounce in place (22% initial damage). throwing it like a d-smash will make it bounce away from you (26% initial damage) (sorry if you already know this, may have misunderstood your question).

One interesting thing that i'm sure I read on here is the bike bounces differently depending on if Wario is facing left or right
Thrown facing right (Tilt throw - bounces once in place, Smash throw - bounces once away)
Thrown facing left (Tilt throw - bounces twice in place, Smash throw - bounces twice away and flips over as it lands)

How do you cancel the back air. It just seems random to me.
First, have a look at Kuroganehammer's useful Wario frame data section here. Wario's B-Air's FAF (first active frame you can input anything after using the move) is 50. This 50 frame B-AIr commitment can only be cancelled by taking damage or landing during a frame the move can be auto cancelled (in B-Air's case, it auto cancels frame 1-5 and anything beyond frame 34).

As Wario's short hop aerial time is 35 frames, it is possible for him to short hop B-Air and auto cancel it as he can get up to frame 35 of the move, touch the ground and the move will be cancelled (very optimal as the 15 end lag frames do nothing). Wario's jump squat is 6 frames, so you have 7 frames to input B-Air after you jump to input B-Air and it will auto cancel.

In short, you have just over 1/10th of a second to input B-Air after pressing jump and it'll auto cancel (provided you don't fast fall)

If you're trying to time the B-Air while in a random spot in the air, it will only auto cancel when the move is 34/50 complete - so throw it out just over half a second before you touch the ground if you want it to auto cancel.

Last edited:

Casual Souls

Smash Rookie
Definately Definately play defensively against Rosalina, Shulk and Sonic. They can outrange and/or outspeed you meaning you need to target opportunities to punish. Make it so that they have to catch you because this will frustrate them. Especially when they know that every moment they waste not building damage is charging your fart.

When playing defensive players (or trying to goad players into doing something) I prefer to launch the bike at them. It covers the ground, forcing them into the air where Wario is typically stronger, and most launches will cause the bike to fall off the stage giving you little risk of using it.

PLUUUUUUS, launching (or riding) the bike into Rosalina is one of the best and easiest ways to get rid of Luma when fighting Rosalina. Even if she blocks the bike, it still hits Luma, and if Luma is relatively close to the edge of the stage, it will send him careening off. Rosalina can't call him back when he's in freefall, meaning you just took out her attackshield. It's stupidly effective and most Rosalinas can't deal with it.
I've made the mistake of being aggressive against Rosalina in the past. She can stall my Wario pretty badly. Thanks for the tip with the bike though. I don't use it as much as I should in this matchup.

Sonic isn't too bad because Chomp punishes a lot of the attacks that the Sonics I play commonly use. KOing him can be a little tricky though. Shulk is a MU I struggled with in the past but you're right, you can get around him by being more defensive.

Thanks for the advice!

One of the biggest problems with my Wario at the moment is the difficulty I have finishing stocks. I'm not very good at landing the Waft and I don't find many openings to land a smash or FTilt. Are there any safe options to land a FTilt or FSmash? Also, is it worth trying to KO with DSmash or USmash?

TombstoneHD

Smash Cadet
Hey fellas,
So I may be attending my first tournament, Smash 4 or otherwise, sometime this weekend. Do you guys have any general tournament advice, as well as some good Wario reminders? Is it wise to train up a secondary, or should I just focus on Wario? Is there a better place to ask a question like this? Thanks again in advance!

Revax

Smash Cadet
NNID
Revax0
Hey TombstoneHD, my first proper tourney was pretty nerve racking, I went back in March so I'll tell you my experience
Do you guys have any general tournament advice, as well as some good Wario reminders?
SDs happen, even with Wario. In my case I got flustered against a Villager, however a stage like Lylat can gimp Wario if you're not careful about when you use your bike. Try to not keep your bike on stage unless you're setting up for a hitbox extend.

I've found tournaments are more about endurance and adaption as you'll be facing very distinct styles of play. Don't be discouraged if one match you get easily two stocked - It happens, just bounce back with a new strategy (i.e. They grab a lot - stay in the air more, they prefer to shield attacks - feint with an empty hop or chomp, they wall Wario out with attacks - play the waiting game)

Definitely don't forget Wario puts on a lot of passive pressure because of waft. If a trade didn't turn out well, reset to neutral, take a platform and rethink your strategy as waiting is benefiting you. I've won many games because my opponent got too impatient for the kill and got wafted/gimped at a low percent and lost

When it comes to choosing stages, T&C, Battlefield and Dreamland are good for strategic retreats and landing from riding the bike, however it's largely match-up and player dependent. Wario can kill vertically (U-Air, U-Smash, U-tilt) and horizontally (B-Air, Waft, F-Tilt (angle upward for max knockback), F-throw), I generally ban stages with low vertical ceilings however as I kill horizontally more often.

As far as reminders go, 55s is half waft (frame 5-8, no super armor) and 1m 50s is full waft (frame 9-10, super armor frame 5-10). If you've lost track of the time, it's safer to wait for full waft and the glowing can mess with people especially if you play carefully from then onwards
Is it wise to train up a secondary, or should I just focus on Wario?
I used Pit as a secondary at my first tournament and didn't win anything with him so I regretted my decision. Since then I've only used Wario. In my opinion Rosalina is a good secondary if you're willing to invest time since they have similar styles of play. ZSS is also good because she benefits from low vertical ceilings

ElDood

Smash Cadet
One of the biggest problems with my Wario at the moment is the difficulty I have finishing stocks. I'm not very good at landing the Waft and I don't find many openings to land a smash or FTilt. Are there any safe options to land a FTilt or FSmash? Also, is it worth trying to KO with DSmash or USmash?
Finishing off characters is a problem a LOT of Wario's have. It's one of Wario's major weaknesses. That said, there are a few things you can do to get good kills.

Don't rely on FTilt or FSmash. Unless you see them about to land right in range of your smash, or you're punishing a roll onto the stage, Wario's FSmash is more of a liability than a tool.

Instead, I like to Fast Fall Dair dead center into my opponents. At mid to high percentages, assuming you don't connect with the last hit of the cokscrew, it will bounce them just above Wario and allow you to throw a USmash which is VERY hard to react to. In some cases, it's actually a true combo!'

If you don't land dead center on them, try to position yourself so that the enemy is slightly behind you when you hit with the corkscrew. This is because Wario's USmash actually has more range BEHIND him than in front of him, and hits behind him slightly before it hits in front of him. This increases your chances of your USmash being a true combo.

Other than that, use BAir to edge guard or space since it's quite deadly at higher percentages. If your opponent likes to air dodge a lot, you can just predict and punish. Good times!

Oh, and one last one. Though you usually have to have your opponent in excess of 110%, a forward throw from the edge is actually a really safe way to kill with Wario. He has one of the only forward throws in the game that actually has kill potential, and best of all, most opponents don't know it. So if you see a character on the edge of a stage trying to bait you into doing something stupid, why not surprise them with a grab? Remember, Forward throw is the kill throw.

Adrian Marin

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5000-2987-6227
I've made the mistake of being aggressive against Rosalina in the past. She can stall my Wario pretty badly. Thanks for the tip with the bike though. I don't use it as much as I should in this matchup.

Sonic isn't too bad because Chomp punishes a lot of the attacks that the Sonics I play commonly use. KOing him can be a little tricky though. Shulk is a MU I struggled with in the past but you're right, you can get around him by being more defensive.

Thanks for the advice!

Are you simply waiting to fully charge the waft to land kills? Even the best of us have a hard time landing the fully charged waft! The half waft is generally more reliable, as after about one minute, your fart's hitbox activates in just 5 frames (the full waft is TWICE as slow.) If your reaction speed is on point, you can punish a lot of things with ease by using the half waft, such as rolls, landing lag, and various attacks. It is very strong and can kill a lot of characters at 70% to 80% depending on where you are on the stage.

Retreating Ftilt is very safe against aerial opponents and can land kills. Fsmash is also safe against aerial opponents, but you have to be sure that it'll land. Usmash can work OOS against a few slow attacks. Since his Usmash gives his head invincibility, many opposers will try to air dodge immediately, which means you can try to charge it, bait the air dodge, and then punish accordingly. Dsmash can be used for edgeguarding after the opponent's invincibility has worn off. It's also a very fast move and lets you punish a lot of stuff through perfect shielding, spot dodging, rolling, etc.

Last edited:

TombstoneHD

Smash Cadet
Hey TombstoneHD, my first proper tourney was pretty nerve racking, I went back in March so I'll tell you my experience

SDs happen, even with Wario. In my case I got flustered against a Villager, however a stage like Lylat can gimp Wario if you're not careful about when you use your bike. Try to not keep your bike on stage unless you're setting up for a hitbox extend.

I've found tournaments are more about endurance and adaption as you'll be facing very distinct styles of play. Don't be discouraged if one match you get easily two stocked - It happens, just bounce back with a new strategy (i.e. They grab a lot - stay in the air more, they prefer to shield attacks - feint with an empty hop or chomp, they wall Wario out with attacks - play the waiting game)

Definitely don't forget Wario puts on a lot of passive pressure because of waft. If a trade didn't turn out well, reset to neutral, take a platform and rethink your strategy as waiting is benefiting you. I've won many games because my opponent got too impatient for the kill and got wafted/gimped at a low percent and lost

When it comes to choosing stages, T&C, Battlefield and Dreamland are good for strategic retreats and landing from riding the bike, however it's largely match-up and player dependent. Wario can kill vertically (U-Air, U-Smash, U-tilt) and horizontally (B-Air, Waft, F-Tilt (angle upward for max knockback), F-throw), I generally ban stages with low vertical ceilings however as I kill horizontally more often.

As far as reminders go, 55s is half waft (frame 5-8, no super armor) and 1m 50s is full waft (frame 9-10, super armor frame 5-10). If you've lost track of the time, it's safer to wait for full waft and the glowing can mess with people especially if you play carefully from then onwards

I used Pit as a secondary at my first tournament and didn't win anything with him so I regretted my decision. Since then I've only used Wario. In my opinion Rosalina is a good secondary if you're willing to invest time since they have similar styles of play. ZSS is also good because she benefits from low vertical ceilings
Alright, sounds good! Thanks for the helpful advice. I'll play my best and see how I stand up to my scene.

Rakurai

Smash Ace
Am I the only one who just can't seem to get the hang of Wario in a WiFi environment?

I feel like he requires such a degree of precision that even a small amount of lag can totally throw me off, and the already bad match-ups against characters like Rosalina, Yoshi, and Mega Man feel virtually unwinnable for me if they're competent.

Last edited:

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
His range is such that you're forced to move into people who are just swinging, so you take a chance whenever you go in to attack due to input lag. You can't react to whiffs, which significantly stunts his offensive game.

On the other hand, camping is easier. He's still a markedly worse character on WiFi, IMO.

Katzwinkel

Smash Rookie
NNID
Gastlis
3DS FC
3952-7305-2401
^ If it's working, I see no reason to stop. If someone's salty enough to be giving you a hard time over it, it means you've gotten inside their head.

I want to use Wario in tournaments, and while I do feel like he's a solid character, he definitely doesn't fare all that well against some of the top tiers. Who can I pick up as a reliable counterpick to cover Wario's bad matchups? The two primary picks I see people recommending are Fox and Dedede.

Last edited:

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Sheik's pretty good at beating people, I hear. Mega Man definitely loses to her. I feel that Wario does really well against Lucario, which is purported to be a "hard" Sheik matchup.

Wario beats Rosalina, as an aside.

Last edited:

Adrian Marin

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
5000-2987-6227
^ If it's working, I see no reason to stop. If someone's salty enough to be giving you a hard time over it, it means you've gotten inside their head.

I want to use Wario in tournaments, and while I do feel like he's a solid character, he definitely doesn't fare all that well against some of the top tiers. Who can I pick up as a reliable counterpick to cover Wario's bad matchups? The two primary picks I see people recommending are Fox and Dedede.
I'm currently preparing for another tournament by practicing Mario. Mario has a good MU against characters Wario struggles against, such as Sheik and Villager, while Wario helps Mario defeat characters such as Rosalina and Luigi. Mario is also very easy to learn and can even play bait & punish like Wario, making it easy to adjust to the character.

Katzwinkel

Smash Rookie
NNID
Gastlis
3DS FC
3952-7305-2401
It helps that I've put a lot of time into Mario then. I do okay with him, but I feel like the number of people who use Mario make him a heavily studied character, which makes him easier to fight, no matter how good he is. I feel as though Fox is a good answer to this, but he's much harder to use, let alone learn. Doesn't mean the effort isn't worth it though.

Normally I wouldn't touch Sheik with a 39 and a half foot pole. She'll win you tournaments but I don't have fun playing what is essentially "Foward Air, The Character".

Katzwinkel

Smash Rookie
NNID
Gastlis
3DS FC
3952-7305-2401
Then I'm not really sure why you're hanging out on the Wario boards...That part's really not much different.
I knew someone was going to say that :p Wario's actually fun to use, that's why.

I did see someone recommend Rosalina a few posts ago, so maybe I'll give her a shot. I need to focus more on my ability with Wario though, for certain. Regardless, thanks for the feedback.

Last edited:

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Because you'll be camping just as hard. Because it will give you air flexibility and mobility your characters currently lack. Because you can turn matches around quickly as you can with Lucario. Because he's a better character. Because I've done loads of research in other threads that will help you land all sorts of nice stuff.

Croi

Smash Lord
Coming from Brawl, I hate the changes they made to Wario. How dair doesn't autocancel out of short hop, how fsmash is hot **** (in a bad way), how his aerial acceleration is average. And what they did to uair, did uair really deserve that? Lordy.

I'm tempted to use him again just because my years of using him in Brawl transfer easier than picking up someone new entirely, and he does have a few notable buffs, but I hate a lot of things they've done to him.

And I think you're underestimating just how hard DHD can camp if he wants to

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Airdodge is shorter overall and can be done from a shorthop laglessly. Landing D-Air combos into stuff with Rage.

U-Air went from truly outrageous to still pretty effing big. It's harder to do on landing, but it's still a pretty good move, all things considered.

C4-

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Pig321
Does anyone know why sometimes I'm able to bike through ness's PK fire? It seems to only occur if the PK Fire hits me right as my bike is fully out but when I tried to recreate it with a friend I jus to couldn't do it , I'm guessing it's specific frames on his side B that allow it to happen but like I said I haven't been able to recreate it , it just happens once in a while.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
The Bike has very slight knockback armor. Some part of the PK Fire might not have enough power to knock you off.

Mario123311

Smash Ace
Am I the only one who thinks they changed his F-Smash because they were probably planning to have Shoulder Bash be an equippable custom move? Just my guess... It's a shame it didn't make it but it's nice to probably consider that they would have done this.

Last edited:

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
They changed his Brawl F-Smash because it was obnoxiously good. 19%, comes out on Frame 9, super armor on start-up, KO potential comparable to his current F-Smash.

ElDood

Smash Cadet
Does anyone know why sometimes I'm able to bike through ness's PK fire? It seems to only occur if the PK Fire hits me right as my bike is fully out but when I tried to recreate it with a friend I jus to couldn't do it , I'm guessing it's specific frames on his side B that allow it to happen but like I said I haven't been able to recreate it , it just happens once in a while.
Actually, there is a definite reason for this.

If Wario is below 50% damage, he can bike through the PK Fire.

If Wario is at or above 50% damage, he can't.

I swear to you I've tested it and it's true. My brother is a Ness player and we discovered this very early on.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
All of PK Fire's hits have very low knockback, but they still have knockback growth. That's why it works that way.

It's probably affected by Ness's Rage, though.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
What do you guys think are the best control settings to use while playing as Wario with the Wii U Gamepad/Controller Pro?

C4-

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Pig321
What do you guys think are the best control settings to use while playing as Wario with the Wii U Gamepad/Controller Pro?
It's really personal preference but I'm starting to feel like with the pro control it may be more optimal to set jump to one off the L or R triggers to allow for you to have full control over jump and cstick . Right now I use x and y for jump and it hinders my ability to flick the C stick after a jump.

C4-

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Pig321
I was curious, are there any easy ways for wario to setup footstools ? I was super excited thinking if you hit an opennent with you bike tilted forward in the air , you could get a footstool but it's too random it seems :(

PushDustIn

Salt Lord
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
PushDustIn
3DS FC
3695-0954-3750
Hello Wario brothers!

I'm almost finished with my 27 page+ epic on Why Does Wario Fart? Part one is now posted, and I'll be working on posting part two within the day. Please let me know if I missed anything! I want this to be the most complete Wario post on the Internet. I'll also be happy to answer any questions. Special thanks to @ Spinosaurus Spinosaurus for helping check this post and for providing suggestions.

Edit: Part two is up!

Please read from part one.

Last edited:

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I was curious, are there any easy ways for wario to setup footstools ? I was super excited thinking if you hit an opennent with you bike tilted forward in the air , you could get a footstool but it's too random it seems :(
The only really functional one would be shorthop airdodge toward a character while they whiff an attack, but that doesn't put them into tumble. Not putting people into tumble doesn't really matter, though, since Wario's best options afterward are an immediate D-Air or Waft before you move away.

You could land late N-Air at a low percent and follow up with a footstool, I guess.

Last edited:

ElDood

Smash Cadet
I do it constantly on accident when using the speeding bike. It's stupidly easy to footstool people at low to mid percentages with it.

Waroh

Smash Cadet
NNID
Mr.Waroh
I was wondering if anyone here knows where that 85 degree angle hitbox is located on Wario's up-B ending hit? I would assume it's very close to the other two hitboxes and probably has the lowest priority of them as I've only landed it once or twice. I'm just curious about it now.

Last edited:

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
The XYZ coordinates suggest that it's on/above his head, but it has lower priority than the other two hitboxes. I don't think I've ever seen it hit by itself.

Last edited:

Waroh

Smash Cadet
NNID
Mr.Waroh
Ah, well that's a shame. It looked very nice when I landed it somewhat near the top blastzone.

Thanks for the quick reply!

Last edited:

SharpShot925

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0903-2955-6660
As Smash 4 progresses and more and more people find things out about characters, does anyone think that more people will flock to Wario? He has amazing aerial game, recovery, what is in my honest opinion the best command grab in the game, and his ace in the hole, the waft. Does anyone think that our beloved, greedy, coin-grabbing capitalist will get some more love?

Twewy

Smash Lord
After Abadongo's showing at EVO, I think Wario will gain popularity. When an unknown character does really good in a tourney (See: Combofiend and Spencer back in MvC3) people start picking it up out of curiosity.

Top Bottom