• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Wario Q&A and Help Thread - What's Wario Land

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Extending the Waft hitbox doesn't make it hit any lower. The Bike shouldn't improve the effectiveness of any footstool -> Waft followups.

Sneaky boy Nick

Smash Journeyman
Not sure if this is the right place for this but I feel like all the people that give me **** for playing wario happen to play sheik. Is something about sheik wario really that bad to make them flame me for picking wario or what? It happens in real life and online and it's getting pretty tiring.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Sheik generally has to get Wario up to really high percents before KOing, meaning she's a prime candidate for dying at 30% due to Rage Waft.

Sheik seems to handily beat Wario in every other aspect of the matchup, though.

Sneaky boy Nick

Smash Journeyman
I think if wario has platforms he can camp her indefinitely. But anyways it's mostly complaints about the bite or waft. So many sheik give me crap and tell me warios super easy, or his bite skips neutral. I don't think these things are true at all but how does wario stack up difficulty wise with the rest of the cast?

Ssbm_Jag

Smash Journeyman
There's a reason eventhub's crowd-sourced tier-list consistently ranks Wario as a bottom tier character. On many American early-game tier lists Wario was initially ranked mid to mid-low tier, except in Japan because of you know who.

ZeGlasses!

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ZeGlasses
Eventscrubs is a popularity contest. I remember when Mewtwo was initially released on eshop, Eventhubs had him as #1 in the game, and the same happened when Roy released. It's also why characters like Link and Falcon are always way higher than they should be.

Andaya

Smash Cadet
NNID
Andaya505
3DS FC
3909-8269-9964
Can someone help me with the Ness/Lucas matchup pls?

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Can someone help me with the Ness/Lucas matchup pls?
I'm far from being the best Wario but here's my advice:

- Don't get grabbed: Pretty self-explanatory. If either of them grab you they'll deal a lot of damage or they'll b-throw you to your death. Use retreating aerials to help prevent that. Lucas' grab has a lengthy end animation if he misses, so capitalize on that.
- Chomp: A lot of times they'll simply shield your attacks and go in for a grab, so use your chomp to eat at their shields. It's also useful for biting them in the air or if they're waiting at the ledge for a b-throw.
- Use dash attack to trip them near the ledge: Wario's dash attack can be used to trip characters when they're trying to recovery, which can cause them to fall under the stage (here's a video showing what it can do). This can happen to Ness and Lucas, which will usually cause them to mess up their recovery if they're not expecting it. Even if they know it's coming, you'll be able to easily waft on them from under the stage while they use PK-Thunder.
- [Ness only] Hit his PK-Thunder while he's trying to recover: This won't work on Lucas since his goes through opponents. If a Ness is trying to recover with PK-Thunder and you let the thunder hit you, it'll mess up his recovery and almost always cause a KO (here's a video showing how to easily do it). The person in the video used Dr. Mario, a character with a fairly mediocre recovery, so it should be even easier with Wario thanks to his bike.
- Avoid PK-Fire: Another obvious one but it's still important. If you get hit by Ness' PK-Fire you'll be grabbed and thrown around like a ragdoll. As soon as you see/hear him doing the attack, avoid it (preferably by shielding if you're in his way since you might be able to hit him with a quick attack). Same thing applies to Lucas except you don't have to worry much about being grabbed if you get hit.
- Use your DI right: This tip is purely dependable on how well your opponent can read your DI. If you get d-throwed by Ness at a low %, try DI'ing towards him since it'll be harder to hit you with f-airs (if you are getting hit with f-airs, DI away from him). At higher percents he'll most likely go for a d-throw to up-air, so in that case you should DI away from him.
- Shield: Ness' f-air (and to an extent Lucas' rope snake) can be an annoying spacing tool so if you want to get close be sure to shield.

That's all I can say. Someone else could probably provide a more in-depth analysis.

Last edited:

ZeGlasses!

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ZeGlasses
You can also chomp the PK Thunder bolt. It's better to just hit/ get hit by the bolt, but it looks absolutely hilarious.

But anyways it's mostly complaints about the bite or waft. So many sheik give me crap and tell me warios super easy, or his bite skips neutral.
> Complaining about Chomp being OP when Needles exist.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
I don't understand how Bike works or even how clanking animations interact if another hitbox is introduced, but shouldn't Falco have been hit here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lt9qUWwUHMI#t=10m26s? Up Smash clanks with Bike, but Falco doesn't get hit even though Bike's hitbox should still be active since it's not like say, Mario and Luigi clank jabs, which means they have to pull back, but this is if someone clanks with a moving object and it's still moving.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Bike hits count as a projectile; the Wheelie is one attack. As a result, when you clank with that one hit, it cannot hit that person anymore.

DavemanCozy

Smash Photographer
NNID
CavemanCossy
3DS FC
0216-1810-7681
So many sheik give me crap and tell me warios super easy, or his bite skips neutral.
Well, all Sheik needs to do to combo is "hold forward and press the A button."

I'm not sure where to put him in a "difficulty list," I do think that Wario is unorthodox though. I came from maining Fox and picked up Wario about 9 months ago, he doesn't come with an instruction manual like some top characters do. But I'm still learning about the game myself, like most people here.

Andaya

Smash Cadet
NNID
Andaya505
3DS FC
3909-8269-9964
Hey everyone, I'm going to attend my first tourney ever with Wario. What are some stages that Wario is really good on? I've heard stages with low ceilings are good.

ZeGlasses!

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ZeGlasses
FD is a good stage for Wario, since it gives less options for your opponent to approach you, and in general it limits their movement.

Town and City is something I personally like. Platforms are great for jumping around on and camping on, and the lower ceiling helps with kills.

Ssbm_Jag

Smash Journeyman
In my opinion, it depends more so on the character you're fighting, because I believe Wario plays around his opponent. I usually avoid stages with low ceilings because there is not much Wario does to kill off the top consistently and most characters have better tools for that. If you're fighting against a character which you can fast fall d-air edge-guard, you should go to battlefield, duck hunt etc.

Lylat cruise and Duck Hunt have been my personal favorites when not really knowing where to go. Duck hunt because I have space to camp and it's easy to not get spiked there. Lylat is random and I just feel Wario seems to do well there. The platforms can set up a lot for Wario i.e. Waft set-ups, chomping opponent's shielding on platforms, falling up-airs.

Hyper

Smash Apprentice
So I'm not good at frame data or anything but one thing I wanna know is, did we benefit at all from the shield change or did it slightly nerf us?

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
Mostly the same, probably leaning a bit on nerf overall. The question is how much everyone else changing is going to affect us in the long run.

Last edited:

Ssbm_Jag

Smash Journeyman
I keep hearing everyone in my community saying their character is now so much better, but then again people tend to overreact to even the slightest changes. There was this guy who complained about diddys first nerf sending him to low tier. Tbh though I'm scared of Mario right now.

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
Yeah, Mario being even safer than he was before sounds terrible.

Last edited:

Ssbm_Jag

Smash Journeyman
2 questions.

What about a character effects their run turnaround animation length and duration? Is it completely random?

Also, is there a big difference between the run turnaround and the run stop/skid animation? Is one better for approaching with? Like if you ran up to someone, would it be better to run-turnaround f-tilt, or run-skid f-tilt. I know usually run turnarounds involve running away, but I'm just curious to know if run stop d-tilt is a possibility or not. I'm wondering because approaching with d-tilt without having to run away would be godlike, although empty hop or reverse empty hop pivot d-tilt is just fine too.

Last edited:

BoxedOccaBerrys

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BoXeDOccaBerrys
I have some questions about wario...

how long does it take for waft to be charged? its like 3 minutes? correct?
do his tilts, besides d-tilt, have a use?
what are the best ways to use his bike? (stupid question)
should the waft be used for recovery? or is it offense ONLY?
can you eat pac-man's fruit, diddy's bananas, or any non-explodey projectiles for health? or is it bike only?

Andaya

Smash Cadet
NNID
Andaya505
3DS FC
3909-8269-9964
I have some questions about wario...

how long does it take for waft to be charged? its like 3 minutes? correct?
do his tilts, besides d-tilt, have a use?
what are the best ways to use his bike? (stupid question)
should the waft be used for recovery? or is it offense ONLY?
can you eat pac-man's fruit, diddy's bananas, or any non-explodey projectiles for health? or is it bike only?
Waft takes 1:50 minutes to fully charge.

Haven't really found a good use for Utilt, Ftilt has a good range and is like a weaker fsmash

Recovery, setting up waft edgeguards, eating it to speed up waft time, catching landings, sometimes as a projectile

If you have more stocks, I'd rather die and use it on the next one. If it's your last stock, then sure I guess

You can eat almost every projectile in the game, but only some give you health and waft time. Pac-Man's fruit and Diddy's bananas/peanuts are one of those.

Last edited:

Andaya

Smash Cadet
NNID
Andaya505
3DS FC
3909-8269-9964
I have a question: when Wario uses the full waft and goes upwards, does the trail he leaves behind have a windbox? I don't think it does but I'm still trying to figure out what the hell happened in this clip

TheReflexWonder

Wonderful!
BRoomer
NNID
TheReflexWonder
3DS FC
2492-4449-2771
I have a question: when Wario uses the full waft and goes upwards, does the trail he leaves behind have a windbox? I don't think it does but I'm still trying to figure out what the hell happened in this clip
If Diddy Kong is hit off of his Up-B, he cannot bounce off of walls, so his momentum just kept going while he was "stuck" against the stage. You can tell that his knockback animation looks different; that's why. This has been the case since Brawl.

Last edited:

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
Not gameplay related, but could we have a tourney results thread where we post how Wario players have placed in tourneys? I noticed some other character forums had these and I thought it would be nice for Wario to have his own.

Dar4

Smash Apprentice
I have a few questions about waft setups I've been struggling with on my Wario:

Bike to waft – how to know when it is confirmed? Any tricks to knowing where the opponent will go after they get hit with the bike? I feel like I need to implement this into my waft setups. I don't ever go for it currently.

Falling upair to waft – how to get the upair in? I've practiced this a lot and can almost always land once I land the upair. But it seems like you need the opponent to wiff a laggy move to get the upair to hit because of the virtual zero range on upair. Any tips for landing falling upairs in general would be nice.

Nair to waft - Any tricks for landing this? I have no issues confirming fair to waft, dair to waft or falling upair to waft but I almost always wiff nair to waft to the point where I don't even go for it. Are there certain percentages where it is confirmed? Do I need to hit the weak nair at any certain angle to get the confirm?

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Last edited:

Revax

Smash Cadet
NNID
Revax0
I have a few questions about waft setups I've been struggling with on my Wario
Bike to waft - I find this to be uncommon on anything but the speeding bike as you need a lot of horizontal air time to tilt the front down enough for it to combo. TheReflexWonder has you covered with a visual guide which appears to be that it's confirmed if you collide with someone when the front of the bike is down - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oe_9S06yKMk

Falling U-air to waft - It's really just practice. From short hop, i find it easier to U-air then immediately fast fall at the peak of the hop. There aren't any visual indicators that i can think of (maybe input it about 1 Wario from the ground?) but be aware that if the opponent crouches due to their attack animation they'll be harder to hit with the U-air (which i find is surprisingly common). Try to land diagonally through them as to land on the other side of them afterwards - I find it sometimes messes up the opponent's punish if i whiff it

N-air to waft - I find it works about 20-40% on the cast (In matches I give it a shot at 30% as a general rule). I'm generally only successful when I get some horizontal momentum going but I have seen it work without any horizontal momentum (may also be easier to land with rage due to increased hitstun)

Dar4

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for the help. I have another question.

One of my biggest problems with wario is dealing with characters who go in by throwing a projectile first, and then attacking or grabbing while I'm occupied.

Examples of characters I'm having trouble with -

:4diddy:Banana to grab or smash
:4pikachu:thunder jolt to grab or attack
:4luigi:fireball to grab
:4greninja:water shuriken to grab or attack
:4tlink:bomb to whatever

I'm really bad at these matchups. Is powershielding the only answer here? Eating the projectiles clearly doesn't help because the endlag gets you punished as much as missing the powershield. Shielding gets you punished. Catching the projectiles doesn't seem to really help. I just don't know how to deal with these characters. What's the best strategy? What's the gameplan for dealing with the throw crap at me and then attack? I'll go and play the best player in my area and go even against his other characters but when he pulls out his diddy I continuously get bodied.

Ssbm_Jag

Smash Journeyman
Dar4 Dar4

When it comes to fighting these characters, you definitely should know what you can powershield and what is safe on shield. Banana is probably the best projectile in the game next to gyro, and when diddy has banana you have to respect that. Static Manny and Ryo told me to just shield the banana. So if I were you, I'd just empty hop and hold shield and see if they're going to throw it without you committing to a move. I know ZeRo likes to throw bananas when people commit. When it comes to powershielding, it helps to know you can't shield during dash, so I've been told to walk or make sure I can run if I plan on powershielding toon link's bombs. These are annoying match-ups and currently I'm struggling a bit with diddy and toon link myself.

Andaya

Smash Cadet
NNID
Andaya505
3DS FC
3909-8269-9964
I'm pretty sure bike beats fireball thunderjolt and small water shurikens. I'm pretty sure you want to shield the other two.

Spinosaurus

Treasure Hunter
NNID
WarioLand
I'm pretty sure bike beats fireball thunderjolt and small water shurikens. I'm pretty sure you want to shield the other two.
If they short hop Wario gets knocked out of the bike, so it's not all that reliable unless they don't know that.

Project SonicSpeed

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SonicSpeed432
3DS FC
0000-0000-0000
So I've been thinking about picking Wario up. I tried him before a while back and he was fun but I didn't give him enough time to develop as a character. So I ended up dropping him because I didn't feel like learning a new character. But after thinking about it and watching some videos I've decided to give him another go. So what's some things for a newcomer Wario to start practicing and learning to give me a starting point?

Thanks for the help. I have another question.

One of my biggest problems with wario is dealing with characters who go in by throwing a projectile first, and then attacking or grabbing while I'm occupied.

Examples of characters I'm having trouble with -

:4diddy:Banana to grab or smash
:4pikachu:thunder jolt to grab or attack
:4luigi:fireball to grab
:4greninja:water shuriken to grab or attack
:4tlink:bomb to whatever

I'm really bad at these matchups. Is powershielding the only answer here? Eating the projectiles clearly doesn't help because the endlag gets you punished as much as missing the powershield. Shielding gets you punished. Catching the projectiles doesn't seem to really help. I just don't know how to deal with these characters. What's the best strategy? What's the gameplan for dealing with the throw crap at me and then attack? I'll go and play the best player in my area and go even against his other characters but when he pulls out his diddy I continuously get bodied.
Luigi's fireballs are actually less safe on hit then they are on shield LOL so you can take the hit and hit him with your fastest option to stop him from running in with a grab. Maybe even get a waft on him or something. As for greninja, this is mostly just speculation at this point as I don't fight any good Greninjas ever. But if a Greninja fully charges his Shuriken and throws it I think maybe just resetting to nuetral might be the best idea. I mean multiple hits on shield means you can't powershield it and if a Greninja's running right behind it he can get free grabs. IDK much about Wario in general but unless Bite eats shuriken then it probably is a good idea to just disengage the situation.

Last edited:

Revax

Smash Cadet
NNID
Revax0
What's some things for a newcomer Wario to start practicing and learning to give me a starting point?
The most important thing for a Wario main to do is land the waft, so I suggest a few things.
  • Practice checking the timer to see whether you have half (55s) or full (1m 50s)
  • Getting bike on stage
  • Setups into half waft (f-air, n-air, d-air, u-air, d-tilt, u-tilt, dash attack and bike can all be comboed into half and for some, full waft if used right)
  • Wafting out of shield drop/ Wafting out of a dash (if you don't input down-b from a dash fast enough you incur the stopping animation which can cost a stock if you fail to punish a roll read)
  • b-reversing chomp, chomping opponents by jumping from underneath a ledge
For a lot of useful knowledge, I suggest reading the Q&A, dominating strategies and mad scienstein threads and watching thereflexwonderful and my smash corner Wario specific youtube videos.

Dar4

Smash Apprentice
So what's some things for a newcomer Wario to start practicing and learning to give me a starting point?
As above said, landing waft is the most important thing for wario. So practice waft setups.

Next I'd say learn how to edgeguard with the bike and get b reverse bites down.

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
anyone have a good image of standard waft's hitbox sizes? i've grown very accustomed (and in love) with rose waft but there is a chance customs won't be allowed at my locals anymore.

WRECK-IT MUNDO

Smash Apprentice
NNID
warionino129
3DS FC
4811-8008-0796

Andaya

Smash Cadet
NNID
Andaya505
3DS FC
3909-8269-9964
Does every item increase waft charge or just the ones that heal you?

Top Bottom