• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wait, WHAT? : Smash Bros Brawl Tourney. CANCELED

Status
Not open for further replies.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
Cool, guys.

RAWR: Where do you live, by the way?

Knightmare: Good to hear that. You're on the list. You should tell your other friends too. Let me know if they're coming.

Hyvin

Smash Rookie
I'm going to try to make this as long as I don't have to wake up too early to drive up there.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
*Bump ftw*

The marketing campaign for Wait, What? will likely begin in the not too distant future. I'm going to look into putting flyers at a bunch of gaming stores and stuff like that. Atomic Comics, GameStop, etc... I don't want to start the advertising too early, but also don't want to start too late. I'm thinking around early next month. That will give us 3 months of marketing / hype.

That Play N' Trade tourney had 74 people come from just a simple advertising scheme. I suspect we can beat that handedly.

Around early October perhaps, I'll start taking a list of TV's + Wii's and Smash disks. Wii's will be in high demand, so expect to be compensated for bringing one. A good discount on entrance fee at least.

Can't wait guys,
Later

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
lol, Shane.

Items will certainly be off for the same reason they're off in Melee: it's too random. Competitive smash is set up in such a way as to make the winner of a match determined entirely by their skill, not luck. Items serve only to level the playing field between those with skill and those without. Items, whether fun or not, will not be a part of tournament play.

As for stages, much of the same reasoning applies. The competitive smash scene will be set up in such a way that you have to beat your opponent, the level can't do it for you. Not all levels are going to be worthy in a competitive sense. Fox looks like he's still going to be able to shoot and run away. Therefore any levels the size of Hyrule Temple are banned, etc...

Rang Flash

Smash Journeyman
Yo put me up on there instead of Flare233.

Also I think we should test out the stages to be honest I don't think we should just look at them and say "lol banned."

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
Lol, Goat.

On a serious note: I don't have anything to announce formally, but I've been looking into venues and there are some pretty awesome choices. Once things are more set in stone, I'll announce it. But rest assured, the venue will be great.

Wobbles

Desert ******
BRoomer
Stages with random, uncontrollable variables don't belong in competitive play.
Stages that lend themselves to broken--legitimately BROKEN, as in, unbeatable and unrestrictable--tactics don't belong in competitive play.

"Weird' is not a stage characteristic that justifies banning. Assuming Rumble Falls doesn't have crazy BS coconuts falling and killing your mother, then I think we'll be fine. It scrolls at a reasonable pace and it seems there will rarely be the opportunity to camp the sides for easy KOs. I want to play on it as soon as possible :D

ChronoSquare

Smash Ace
Daaaaaaymn. It figures, that something like the first Brawl tourney is going to be someplace I can't go... but someplace I will be. ****, the more I hear about the smash community in AZ, the more I can't wait until this time next year, when I'll be transfering down to UAT.

I will be (and probably a hell of a lot of others) expecting some videos to result from this, the first step towards structuring tiers/techniques/metagame/what-have-you.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
Sizzle: Yes I do plan on putting it there. I want to get the venue locked down before I go and advertise too much. That should be happening sometime soon. Dec 8th is still a long ways out. The real advertising campaign will begin about 2 months prior, maybe a bit more.

Oh, also. As the first post about stages indicates, all stages will be evaluated on an individual basis the week leading up to the tourney. The things I've listed are only guidelines of the sort of things to look out for.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
It's about time for a bump, besides I wouldn't want to disappoint ODIN's subscription.

Has anyone heard anything about those Play N Trade tournaments? We need to get them to keep running them. That way we can win more Wii's for this tournament. :D

O D I N

Smash Hero
GameAngel64's house, getting my @#% handed to me.
3DS FC
4098-3123-8629
Play N Trade? :confused: You're gonna have to help me out on that one.

I'm sure someone has suggested this; but in the event Brawl is online; has anyone considered doing an online tourney of somesort, mayhaps... if you get a net connection where you're at, I could hop on and join you guys. :chuckle:

[/fat chance]

D4rk_Sh3ik

Smash Ace
online tournaments seem very hard to pull off for brawl, or even melee if it was online. there would be so many things that can change the outcome of it and such and plus you wouldnt know who really is playing, u could have someone else play for u

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
Whether serious, competitive online tournaments will ever happen in Brawl is extremely unlikely. But I can say for sure that it will not happen for this tournament.

Dark's point of someone playing for you is reason enough alone. But really the lag is just going to kill it. In the best of cases you're going to have a 100ms ping to another player. More likely 200-300 over the Wii's wireless though. That's 6 frames of lag right there in the best case. 6 frames is too much to play a game as fast and frame dependent as smash.

So no, no online play for Wait, WHAT?

No-Really-I-Suck

Smash Apprentice
Whether serious, competitive online tournaments will ever happen in Brawl is extremely unlikely. But I can say for sure that it will not happen for this tournament.

Dark's point of someone playing for you is reason enough alone. But really the lag is just going to kill it. In the best of cases you're going to have a 100ms ping to another player. More likely 200-300 over the Wii's wireless though. That's 6 frames of lag right there in the best case. 6 frames is too much to play a game as fast and frame dependent as smash.

So no, no online play for Wait, WHAT?

fiber optics will be 100 times more effective at transmitting data within the next 2 years

and the fact that 6 frames of lag will hinder gameplay is false. If BOTH players are experiencing 6 frames of lag, the data stream is consistent and will not make matters worse. Only when there is a lag spike on either end will it be a problem.

However, this is only at optimal conditions. And we all know that doesn't happen often.

I see it taking only 2 years after brawl to be released that we can have nearly perfect game sessions online using the upgraded fiber optic switches I mentioned early.

Despite this, I see no viable use for online in the realm of competitive smash. It will be great for noobs and scrubs and hilarious 4 player action with our non-english speaking friends in yugoslovia....but not good for seeing who is better than who.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
No, there will be lag. 6 frames of lag is way too much, and it does NOT effect both players equally.

6 frames is how much the Ice Climbers attacks are separated, that is very noticeable. It is not an insignificant amount. Any lag ruins the game in a competitive sense. You cannot, for instance, DI. Think about it. Even if you react perfectly to an attack, and DI correctly immediately, you'll still be 6 frames late and won't DI. Same thing with teching. All of these things will effect better players more than worse ones. It has the effect of leveling the playing field, which is exactly what you DON'T want from a competitive game.

There is no good way to have brawl be online anyway. There are only 2 options:

1) Nintendo builds Brawl servers to host games. Where would these servers be located? America? Japan? Both? What about Europe. They'd have to put several on each continent. Nintendo is not known for making this kind of investment. Their business model is one of minimization.

2) One player hosts the game. If this is the case (which it will undoubtedly be, if there is online Brawl at all) the game will be completely imbalanced. Whoever has host will have an enormous advantage, since they will have no lag.

For other games, lag isn't as much of an issue. You can get away with having one server on a different continent. Or maybe host-advantage isn't that much. But not for a game as fast and timing dependent as smash.

The Game II

Smash Champion
Once Super Champ Combo is over, I'm going to start planning to come to this for coverage on my Web site. I really hope to attend and talk to everyone.

...and I still need to reserve a copy.

--GCII

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
Hey, yes. Welcome back Game. I saw the article on your website about Wait What? good stuff. Thanks for that.

I posted earlier that I'm in the process of securing a venue for the event. Once I have it locked down, there will be more advertising in the form of here on the boards as well as fliers in local stores and such.

At first I didn't want to talk about possible venues before I had it decided, but hey... why the hell not? My number one choice that I'm looking into is the Phoenix Convention Center. They are in every respect the ultimate place to hold any kind of event. They have smaller rooms we could use that are about 3000 sq feet, all the way up to absolutely huge areas. They're having an NRA event there in like 2009 that will have something like 15,000 attendees. So space is NOT a problem!

They have complimentary tables, chairs, etc... And it's all right in downtown phoenix, so it's centralized in location. I really hope to be able to hold the event here, and will try my best to get it.

More to come of this as it breaks...

Sizzle

I paint controllers
****it...I have a final on the 8th in the afternoon, I just found out today. So I couldn't even fly in and catch the tourney since the final happens during it. This totally sucks.

AltF4

BRoomer
BRoomer
That's the idea, Sean. I'm anticipating 100+ participants. I hope that we can get things off on the right foot for competitive Brawl here in Arizona.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom