• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wafa? Wefe? It's WiFi baby!

ChozoChampion

Smash Apprentice
im just hoping tournament mode has a team function this time around.
i get the impression though online was made with more local smash play than worldwide awsomeness(as many have already stated). i think the anyone feature is just to say " i tried" but really as long as the game plays smoothly in freind mode then i don't really care about anyone mode

Bassoonist

Smash Master
NNID
WoodwindsRock
3DS FC
1032-1351-5240
I can't believe this, everyone was like "Brawl BETTER be online or I'm not buying it.", then Sakurai finally announces it will be online. I've found a lot of people are now complaining about it, specifically voice chat.

My god, at least it's online at all. I've even seen some people blame Nintendo as a whole for this... Yeah, go blame Nintendo... They did actually give us online with the Wii! Forget about that and start looking for how it's terrible. That's what people are doing, and forgetting that you still get to play online. >_>

People always find a way to complain, always.

That aside, online is not a big deal to me. In fact I personally would have wanted another update. Oh well. Maybe when I get my Wii I'll figure out a way to get W-Fi working.

Tank McCannon

Smash Journeyman
To get this out of the way; those of you expecting voice chat are only setting yourselves up for disappointment (which is a common action on these boards anyway). Nintendo currently has no plans at all to bring voice chat to the Wii. I'd be very, very surprised if they got it up and running in under three months.

Even if they do, Sakurai himself already admitted that latency will kill this game. You morons want to lag it out even more with voice chat? Use your heads before you make these stupid demands.

Plainly put, we already got more than we were promised for online play, and you idiots still aren't happy.

When it comes to my own thoughts on online, I couldn't be more pleased. Firstly, I really had myself believing that last night would be nothing special; I didn't believe in this 100th update extravaganza at all. I was also sure that the online mode was going to be slapped-on in order to keep whining fanboys quiet (and you can tell by the tone of the post that Sakurai himself isn't very excited over it).

But it really looks like they pulled this one off. I don't think there's anything better they could have done. Looks like finding and playing against friends will be completely painless, and even playing against anyone, we don't have to worry about random Sheik/Marth/Fox spammers (or their Brawl equivalents) screwing up our records.

Although I still stand by what I've said; consoles are not online machines. PCs are. Consoles are about gathering friends together and actually interacting as you play party games (emphasis on the PARTY GAME) like this.

If you don't have friends, well, try a little harder. Being a freelance artist I leave the house, on average, about 2-3 times a month. Yet I still have more than enough Melee players to duke it out with.

Am I saying online won't be a nice addition? No. But if you were relying on a super awesome online mode to make you friends, you're a fool.
I'm with you for the most part. I'm getting exactly what I want with WiFi and I'm not really asking for more, but try not to insult people based on something they want from a video game.

"I was also sure that the online mode was going to be slapped-on in order to keep whining fanboys quiet (and you can tell by the tone of the post that Sakurai himself isn't very excited over it)."

Actually, this is something they had wanted to do with Brawl all along. As for Sakurai's tone, if he's not excited about something, it's the fact that there will probably be some lag. I don't think it's fair to say that he isn't excited about WiFi all together.

"Although I still stand by what I've said; consoles are not online machines. PCs are. Consoles are about gathering friends together and actually interacting as you play party games (emphasis on the PARTY GAME) like this."

I don't agree with this at all. Why shouldn't consoles be allowed to evolve to inclue online play? I don't think a console or a PC should be limited to a single form of play. Wanna have friends over? Go for it. Wanna play someone online? Feel free. Consoles aren't about getting people together, they're about having fun in general. The player gets to choose how they want to have fun.

I'd say more but I have to go to class. Peace.

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
This will not only be the only Wifi mode. Maybe Free for Alls are all unranked. There could possibly be another mode for 1v1 and team battles that do have rankings. Im not giving up hope. And I doubt it will be voice enabled. Definitly, the greatest update. And I look forward to other brawl news! CANT WAIT FOR THIS GAME TO COME OUT!!!!

Smash Ace
Finally, people will stop whining about this. w00t for online, I'm buying DSl for the occasion.
as for voice chat, I personally say 'no'. I don't want people swearing me out when I pwn them hardcore.

zKillah

Smash Journeyman
Now that the initial AWESOME has subsided, though not completely, I'd like to point out a few things I'd like to change.

First, unranked and anonymous matches. I play Tetris DS online a lot, and their random matchmaking seems to be better than this. Not only can you see the other players name, it keeps track of your wins and losses and calculates a rating based on how good you are. This is helpful when the matchmaking wants to connect players with the same general skill level. I could live with playing random matches if I knew the person on the other end was near my own skill level, even if it was anonymous.

Second, the matchmaking settings seem to be underwhelming. I was hoping you could toggle settings before playing a game, and find players with the same or similar prefernces. This is still up in the air, as it hasn't been clarified, but I don't plan on playing anything but timed FFA games "with anyone".

Don't get me wrong, I'm still ecstatic that the game is internets-ready, I was just hoping for something a bit more robust.

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
I honestly don't care about rankings in the slightest. I'm just glad I'll be able to play my friends who don't live near me.

zKillah

Smash Journeyman
^^I don't care about rankings either, really. But what if you want to play and none of your friends are online? You could play random matches, but there's no way of guaging the skill of the other player for matchmaking purposes. I couldn't care less for ladder ranking or anything like that. I just don't want to play 8-year-olds every other match.

Drake3

Smash Ace
First, unranked and anonymous matches. I play Tetris DS online a lot, and their random matchmaking seems to be better than this. Not only can you see the other players name, it keeps track of your wins and losses and calculates a rating based on how good you are. This is helpful when the matchmaking wants to connect players with the same general skill level. I could live with playing random matches if I knew the person on the other end was near my own skill level, even if it was anonymous.
Yeah that would be cool. I would like to progressively get better by playing anonymous players equal or mildly higher in my skill level. Maybe that's still a possibility with Brawl? :ohwell:

typh

BRoomer
BRoomer
This is very cool, but it should have perfect reception. Sakurai said it doesn't.
Because perfect online play is a reality, right?

Also, who gives a **** about random matches? It's all about SWF friends, baby.

Dynamism

Smash Lord
SWF freinds and SWF freinds freinds.

I'm gonna enjoy random matches too. There can't be too many noobs out there playing often enough to swamp the line more than the regular good players, and hopefully there are different branches or "threads" for that. Like WoWs realms...

WHO ****ING CARES!!!

Online FOR PWN!

Dyce: Friday my Wii # is going up and i'm getting the net hooked up to it. I'm gonna add you! You deserve a spot in the 64 for sure.

Tyrannotaur

Smash Ace
NNID
Tyrannotaur
3DS FC
1075-0952-5696
Awesome update. Seems that this is exactly like Pokémon Battle Revolution's Wi-Fi. That also lags when you fight someone from far away.

I look forward to getting my arse handed to me. I have yet to master any special techniques, and I don't edgeguard/edgehog. I may have to start though.

Can't wait until December.

Galaxy

Smash Journeyman
What do you guys think about Tourneys with this? Do you think this will just be for fun or will big tournaments be held?

yay for online.

raphtmarqui

Smash Lord
Oooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnnlllllllllllllllliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnnneeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sneaky 2.0

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2724-1598-9725
That means I'll be seeing my rival's character jump but in Japan he already has taken the final smash symbol?

LOL at delay.
I think it's more like the whole game will slow down. Instead of lags and stalling, the game's speed will be adjusted. Like playing Slo-Mo Melee.

Phred

Smash Journeyman
Are we gonna have a sticky thread for Wii#'s for Brawl soon? I wanna add some people.
If this is like any wifi game ever, it will have friend codes.
Maybe, I dunno. I guess Pokemon and Strikers had the excuse of having multiple files per system.

aran_fusion

Smash Cadet
Are we gonna have a sticky thread for Wii#'s for Brawl soon? I wanna add some people.
Its not using Wii #s, its using friend codes generated by the copy of the game.

Wii #s = 4 sets of 4 numbers
SSBB #s = 3 sets of 4.

Edit - With that said, I still want to add peoples Wii #s. Read my sig.

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
What do you guys think about Tourneys with this? Do you think this will just be for fun or will big tournaments be held?

yay for online.

Are there any PC games that hold tournaments over distance? Usually people actually get up off their butts and go to tournaments that have all the equipment set up, even though the games are online-capable.

I almost guarantee this won't be done. It's too much of a hassle to coordinate everyone's efforts in different locations. There will be lag. Setting up matches will be a pain because everyone will have to have exchanged friend codes in advance. And what good is winning a tournament when there's no audience to congratulate you and no prize for you to collect?

axemangx

Smash Champion
Tazmily Village, Currently Maining: Lucas and Didd
All I was focused on this update was Sandbag.

Hes so... detailed.

EDIT: Also, the logo's for what you could go by as. Perhaps Sakurai has given us all the starters already, and the reason why it doesnt show any more is because they arent "unlocked". (Pretty much all the starters and some unlockies). I guarentee Sakurai must have done that to bump off any "free thinkers" :p

Eaode

Smash Champion
Are you ****ing serious?

I just wasted like 45 minutes collecting like 30 Wii #'s for random people on Smashboards and then realize that Brawl will have it's own friend code.

WHAT THE ****

Didn't nintendo promise us integration, and only one friend code per system? Where the hell did that go?

axemangx

Smash Champion
Tazmily Village, Currently Maining: Lucas and Didd
Pokemon had its own Wifi codes if I'm not wrong.

Omg. 5 Letter Names and Sandbag. I didnt really care about the Wi-Fi update, because it seemed so odvious. The look is ok, even though MSC is so much pimp >_>.

My 5 Letter Name shall be:

Fudge

ALSO! Sakurai allows us to have lowered case letters! Perhaps this means we can add quotations and such aswell?

Tyrannotaur

Smash Ace
NNID
Tyrannotaur
3DS FC
1075-0952-5696
Sigh a thought occurs...

Is this an actual screenshot?

If so does the characters/icons shown have any hints towards characters? I know there MUST be more characters then this, but that's pretty selective for a random screenshot.
Dunno if this has been said yet..but I think that those are all the starting characters. Or at least that would make sense. Luigi has always been an Unlockable, same with Jiggs. I can see Captain Falcon being unlockable again.

aran_fusion

Smash Cadet
Are you ****ing serious?

I just wasted like 45 minutes collecting like 30 Wii #'s for random people on Smashboards and then realize that Brawl will have it's own friend code.

WHAT THE ****

Didn't nintendo promise us integration, and only one friend code per system? Where the hell did that go?
Collecting Wii Numbers isnt a bad thing, it still allows you to use them in Metroid Prime 3 and several other things. My guess is anyone you have reigstered as a Wii friend might be added automatically to your Smash roster.

Eaode

Smash Champion
Actually, this is puzzling me.

In the picture, it clearly shows that the Brawl friend codes are 3 sets of 4 characters, but the Wii codes are 4 sets of 4. So you'd obviously think that there is a seperate Friend code, but....

Sakurai said:
Wii Friends who have registered one another’s names can play together freely.
Sakurai said:
If you’re registered as Wii Friends, you can check each other’s status. If a Friend is online and you earn his or her consent, you can enter a battle.
wierd

I hope you're right Aran_Fusion :/

maxpower1227

Smash Lord

Hm....

Maybe this is to ensure that a person doesn't have to be playing on their own system to be available for an online game? Maybe your friend code is tied to your disc, so if you have that, your friends can see you regardless of where you are.

Just a thought.

EDIT: aran's idea about Wii friends automatically being added is a good guess. It would certainly be a good thing to do.

Top Bottom