• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wafa? Wefe? It's WiFi baby!

TomH

Smash Journeyman
Well, an update about Wifi, something i expected smash to include... except it is basically confirming it as the WORST possible type of wifi.

1) only 4 player free for all in random matches (id rather play a compter...)
2) no ranking (oh great, so not only is it worthless 4 player but its a bunch of people who suck)
3) no rooms (so basically all levels are on including totally worthless stages such as infinate mountain, so about half the time you just reset your wii rather than play on a worthless stage)

and you can play against friends which is definately nice, but 100% expected. Also the friend code is so... elementary school. I mean, on xbox, you meet someone thru the online system, you just click "add to friends" and they can accept the request and there you go, you got a new friend to play with. I almost feel like nintendo is trying to further the "nintendo is only for little kids" steriotype...

"We’re planning a number of services that make use of Wi-Fi, but we’ll reveal them gradually with the other modes. Enjoy."

the only thing that makes me hold on to some inkling of hope that they didnt irreversably screw up online smash. Add a third "party rooms" section where you see their names and you can talk to them and all that, and if you are really that worried about the least common denominator (aka little kids), then just say you have to put your credit card number in and a $1 charge will be charged to verify that the credit card is valid. that is essentially forcing the kids to tell the parents what they are signing up for.

raphtmarqui

Smash Lord
For anyone that thinks the Brawl online is too shallow, u have to remember that more stuff is going to be revealed. And i dont think its just 1 or 2 small things either considering the the Wi-Fi has its own section on he website.

Zink

Smash Champion
Well, an update about Wifi, something i expected smash to include... except it is basically confirming it as the WORST possible type of wifi.

1) only 4 player free for all in random matches (id rather play a compter...)
this is completely unconfirmed, there's no reason to assume it's 4 player only.
2) no ranking (oh great, so not only is it worthless 4 player but its a bunch of people who suck)
Remember the part where Sakurai mentioned further services? Guess what those could be.
3) no rooms (so basically all levels are on including totally worthless stages such as infinate mountain, so about half the time you just reset your wii rather than play on a worthless stage)
Wow, you know exactly how the stages will be picked already! Tell us more!
and you can play against friends which is definately nice, but 100% expected. Also the friend code is so... elementary school. I mean, on xbox, you meet someone thru the online system, you just click "add to friends" and they can accept the request and there you go, you got a new friend to play with. I almost feel like nintendo is trying to further the "nintendo is only for little kids" steriotype...
So? In all likelihood you aren't going to want to be friends with someone unless thy're SWFers, and in that case you either already know them or can PM them.

"We’re planning a number of services that make use of Wi-Fi, but we’ll reveal them gradually with the other modes. Enjoy."

the only thing that makes me hold on to some inkling of hope that they didnt irreversably screw up online smash. Add a third "party rooms" section where you see their names and you can talk to them and all that, and if you are really that worried about the least common denominator (aka little kids), then just say you have to put your credit card number in and a $1 charge will be charged to verify that the credit card is valid. that is essentially forcing the kids to tell the parents what they are signing up for.
What's the big deal with rooms? Any time you want to set up a match, it appears as if you do two things: search for friends who want to play, or look for a random game. In neither case do you need a room.

Falco&Victory

Smash Champion
"These short messages are entered in advance, and you send them by taunting. There are four messages for the four directions on the + Control Pad: Up, down, left and right."

Um, where did you get that notion?

And to answer a few questions, it is set up just like Mario Kart DS wifi, obviously.
Everyone picks a character, then a level, and the most popular level is chosen.
It's how nintendo rolls

Kelexo

Smash Journeyman
It just seems to me that they have their priorities pretty straight. They knew online was going to be destroyed by latency, just like Sakurai admitted, so they'd probably rather put their time into things they can better control.

Sakurai was never excited about the idea of online, he just promised it because so many people begged for it. I'm not really surprised that what we got isn't full-blown.

Although honestly, what we did get was both more than we were promised and way more than good enough. The only complaints you'll hear out of me is about the people who think it's not good enough.
Ah, I see what you're saying. Given some of the ideas of others, I suppose what we have IS good. The only reason I'd want Voice Chat is to hear little kids scream in pain as they have their behinds handed to them...it would be annoying to some, but a grace to others, since its like punishment for spoiled brats in its own way. Though that's certainly no reason to beg for voice chat. Plus, its international...we'll be playing people who don't even speak english, most likely.

And, the no rankings is a small disappointment, but not an unexpected one. It's the first online game I could say I absolutely would be obsessed over, so I kinda wanted to have that grace, but then again it isn't worth complaining about since being able to play Brawl online is a good enough treasure as is. And it also discourages disconnects...though...there is a satisfaction in knowing someone shut off their system because of how badly they were just whooped...

Eaode

Smash Champion
Democracy FTW

Anyway, I'm having a bit of a problem connecting my Wifi >_>. I have one of those USB connectors, and I'm trying to set it up. Whenever it tests the connection, it'll show up as connected on my computer, and then it'll disconnect and say "unable to connect". WTF? it happens every time. Any Ideas?

AlcyoNite

Smash Champion
only thing that upsets me is the "play anyone" feature:
1-it seems like its some "internet checkers" thing where u cant know anything about ur opponent and you cant even speak to him. matchmaking was a big success on halo via xboxlive; nintendo punched us in the gut with this one.
2-so, i get on and i feel like playing some one in japan; this guy wooped on my a** and i would like to train with him and eventually get revenge. Nope. if i cant speak to him or get his info, there is no way i can ask to be friends, nor can i get his wii number cuz...uhhh...he speaks japanese.
3-what for us competitive smashers who set specific standardized rules for matches. apparently, thiese matches will have much more customization with matches, so how can we guarantee that a match that we are about to join isnt some golden hammer-filled-with-maxim tomatoe game?

im sorry, but this seems to be a disappointment already.

AlcyoNite

Smash Champion
"These short messages are entered in advance, and you send them by taunting. There are four messages for the four directions on the + Control Pad: Up, down, left and right."

Um, where did you get that notion?

And to answer a few questions, it is set up just like Mario Kart DS wifi, obviously.
Everyone picks a character, then a level, and the most popular level is chosen.
It's how nintendo rolls

try visiting this one internet site:

www.smashbros.com

you might get a clue as to where all of this info comes from in the first place...

AtticusFinch

Smash Journeyman
Democracy FTW

Anyway, I'm having a bit of a problem connecting my Wifi >_>. I have one of those USB connectors, and I'm trying to set it up. Whenever it tests the connection, it'll show up as connected on my computer, and then it'll disconnect and say "unable to connect". WTF? it happens every time. Any Ideas?
Try a system restore ^^

FFBlackmage456

Smash Rookie
Hoping for voice chat

I'm hoping that there will be voice chat or something. Voice chat would be nice. Also a ranking system and stuff. Also i think there was a reason that sakurai put that the connection would be slow if you decide to fight someone far away. It could lead to something great or something worse. Whatever it is I just hope it leads to something great.

Eaode

Smash Champion
Eaode said:
Democracy FTW

Try a system restore ^^
I don't think I'll go that far, I don't think it'll work anyway lol.

MetaKnight'sSword

Smash Lord
I'm hoping that there will be voice chat or something. Voice chat would be nice. Also a ranking system and stuff. Also i think there was a reason that sakurai put that the connection would be slow if you decide to fight someone far away. It could lead to something great or something worse. Whatever it is I just hope it leads to something great.
well it would nice for a voice chat...but as always (and Im sure someone said this) there will always be someone who flames others and I donrt think Sakurai wants that...besides do u really wan to hear....

"B*** UR @$$ IS MINE, U F**KING QUEER, U P**SSY MOTHER F***ING PIECE OF $#!t!!!!"

Honeslty , it'll be like that angry German Kid who yelled and literally beat up his computer because his "Unreal Tournament " couldnt load all over again.....

and WE DO NOT Want that.......

Ztevieman7

Smash Cadet
All I can say is, Sakurai is honest and again go through the hard way.

See, Internet = lag, we all know but seems not much here actually accepting it.
Lag means No serious playing ie tournaments.
Therefore the online feature = for FUN

Tekken 5 and other fighting games with online feature and even online ranking sounds fun and cool, you can split up the ranking in regions, fine but there is always lag even within europe. The one with the most or least ping wins, not decided by skills, you want to loose to someone like that?

Thats what I mean Sakurai is honest, the dare to draw the line between Online and Offline.

Online = lag = fun. a lot multiplayer feature, with items on and random stages or whatever, things we never see again every sindce we started tournament hosting, so is nice to see it once in a while. You don;t know your opponent so you always play seriously, even you loose for whatever reason, you cannot flame someone or not damaging your ranking, nothing, is called just fun.

Offline = no lag = tournament. old skool like SSBM, all gather up, even just for fun.
Not sure about you guys, but I like to got to see who beat me or who i beated ingame, to talk and play the same person again.

ZenJestr

Smash Lord
NNID
ZenJestr
3DS FC
4897-6268-7794
seriously...

I can understand if you think it might suck...but to say it WILL suck........shut up....seriously....like.........................now.....

IKWYL

Smash Rookie
Well, I'm both excited and a little dissapointed with the recent news about Wi-Fi for Brawl...

The fact that you dont need FCs to play online is pretty cool, however the fact that the game doesent display online names or online Wins/Losses is a huge dissapointment to me...

The games still going o be pretty awesome, but it's wifi mode has the potential to be much better.

cultofrubik

Smash Journeyman
To be truthful, the announcement of online play is the absolute best of all current updates to date. It just is. There was hinting of it originally...then the rumor that it wouldn't happen...and now, our prayers answered!

What's the issue with the the worldwide play? I mean, it would be nice to do regional and such, but there is still time for them to make adjustments. So, don't get your hopes down just yet. Also, wouldn't you rather not play people in an FFA game? I mean, I personally would rather just exchange a bunch of Friend Codes right here on Smash Boards... it's where we can find the most people to play against competitively anyways, right?

smashero

Smash Rookie
the srceenshot that says people has a little blur at the corner by the place it says me
does that mea it's somethind new that they are going to reveal or is just personal info?

Eaode

Smash Champion
Yeah, people. If you don't want to play random people in FFA's with items on random, just get FC's of people on SWF

I've got 34 and counting. I haven't notified the people yet though xD I'm just gonna add 'em all and send PM's out later so they can add me.

It sucks though because the search is down so I can't get to many pro player's profiles to get their codes or AIM them for them xD

PiratevsNinja

Smash Rookie
Well, I'm both excited and a little dissapointed with the recent news about Wi-Fi for Brawl...

The fact that you dont need FCs to play online is pretty cool, however the fact that the game doesent display online names or online Wins/Losses is a huge dissapointment to me...

The games still going o be pretty awesome, but it's wifi mode has the potential to be much better.
Why do you need a ranking system though? I kinda like the idea of none of that. It makes it so when you battle someone, you won't be taking on someone with a face. It removes intimidation, and make it so niether player will think they've lost from the start...

Top Bottom