• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wafa? Wefe? It's WiFi baby!

axemangx

Smash Champion
Tazmily Village, Currently Maining: Lucas and Didd
After the Captain Falcon, Jiggs, and Ness update, I'm sure Sakurai will do the Character Screen, just with all the starters.

I'm pretty sure Sakurai wouldnt exactaly care if they know how many characters are in, because it still adds suspense to see who gets in and who takes the stinky cheez.

greenblob

Smash Lord
I'm extremely disappointed by the lack of customization. I don't like 4 way FFAs and I'd rather not have random explosions everywhere.

Eaode

Smash Champion
I actually do have MP3, but the token thing isn't really important to me.

I just hope Aran is right, 'cuase I'm probably still gonna put in all these friend codes lol

aran_fusion

Smash Cadet
I actually do have MP3, but the token thing isn't really important to me.

I just hope Aran is right, 'cuase I'm probably still gonna put in all these friend codes lol
Put them in anyways. They let you do a few things. Some of which I havnt figured out yet. The Mii parade works off them, as well as sending messages to others through the wii message board and now, Metroid Prime 3 friend vouchers.

raphtmarqui

Smash Lord
Dunno if this has been said yet..but I think that those are all the starting characters. Or at least that would make sense. Luigi has always been an Unlockable, same with Jiggs. I can see Captain Falcon being unlockable again.
Thats obviously not the starting roster screen

Fanewgie

Smash Ace
Okay...

This is almost definitely a staged screenshot.

If it was truely a shot of the roster, do you think they'd be showing Samus/Zamus and all of the Pokémon seperately? I'd be willing to bet we'll get ATs and Subspace bosses as icons too. Heck, maybe they'll finally bring an emblem creation to a Wii title.

They staged the screenshot so that it would deliberately not show us anyone who's not yet confirmed, even if they're on the edge of confirmation.

Don't read into it too much.

WoapGang

Mighty Soul of Woapgang
3DS FC
3411-2904-8277
Okay...

If it was truely a shot of the roster, do you think they'd be showing Samus/Zamus and all of the Pokémon seperately? I'd be willing to bet we'll get ATs and Subspace bosses as icons too. Heck, maybe they'll finally bring an emblem creation to a Wii title.

They staged the screenshot so that it would deliberately not show us anyone who's not yet confirmed, even if they're on the edge of confirmation.

notice the fairly large scroll bar....the could be moved u kno....

raphtmarqui

Smash Lord
Okay...

Exactly.QTF.

maxpower1227

Smash Lord
If it was truely a shot of the roster, do you think they'd be showing Samus/Zamus and all of the Pokémon seperately?

...So you could use any of them for your icon?

I agree that the screenshot is deliberately spoiler-free and doesn't indicate the starting roster, but that's not any evidence to that fact at all.

Jossy

Smash Apprentice
<Jossy> 1 thing tho
<Jossy> if you dont have a character or stage unlocked
<Jossy> but the other player has
<Jossy> ... what will happen?
<Jossy> will it be possible?
<[Root]nate_825> I was thinking the same thing
<Jossy> this means spoilers
<shyo> good question
<[Root]nate_825> well for me, I would unlock all the chars and stages mostly first
<[Root]nate_825> but some people will go straight to multi
<Jossy> same here
<[Root]nate_825> they will probably have all the char unlocked at beginning
<Jossy> but i would go to multi too just to check it out

YOUR THOUGHTS?

source: #ssbb @ irc.rizon.no

Fanewgie

Smash Ace
<Jossy> 1 thing tho
<shyo> good question
<[Root]nate_825> well for me, I would unlock all the chars and stages mostly first
<Jossy> same here

YOUR THOUGHTS?

I heard they screwed this up with Strikers Charged pretty badly. Hopefully they don't repeat that mistake. Though, you can't tell someone they can't use a character because another player doesn't have it unlocked.

So really... if you go straight to multiplayer, that's your own fault if things become unlocked or if you spoil things for yourself.

Takeshi245

Smash Champion
This has got to be the best update so far from Smash Dojo. Take that, doubters!! If Brawl doesn't have a voice chat, I can always improvise. Now I can rest assured that my online clan will battle in Brawl.

WoapGang

Mighty Soul of Woapgang
3DS FC
3411-2904-8277
<Jossy> 1 thing tho
<shyo> good question
<Jossy> same here

YOUR THOUGHTS?

interesting thought....but i would guess that characters isn't a big issue, but stages might be a little TOO reavealing....but idk what to think tho...

Kelexo

Smash Journeyman
Finally, people will stop whining about this.
No, it just gave them several different things to whine about.

I, myself, have a personal question: Why no online ranking system? Not because I necessarily care or feel it's a MUST...but why not?

It seems to be that all you need is a computer that holds numbers. I'm not sure how complicated it can get.

There probably is a reason, and thats all fine, but I'm just curious as to why. Maybe they just don't have the time, and it takes a good amount of time to configure? If so, I can understand.

whiterob

Smash Journeyman
I loved this update. No voice chat? Good, I don't want any little tards yelling in my ear. No Rankings? Good, less hax and disconnecting. The only problem I have is lag. It can't be that hard to get rid of lag considering even the XBOX 1 seemed to play pretty smoothly. Then again, the online play is free, so I'm not gonna cry my eyes out.

WoapGang

Mighty Soul of Woapgang
3DS FC
3411-2904-8277
This has got to be the best update so far from Smash Dojo. Take that, doubters!! If Brawl doesn't have a voice chat, I can always improvise. Now I can rest assured that my online clan will battle in Brawl.
Takeshi! haven't seen you since we were arguing with the Peach girl....whats up?

CodeRed

Smash Apprentice
Does anyone know if it would be possible to have all of the stats stored not on the Wii, but on a website? Bungie.net, for example.

Fanewgie

Smash Ace
There probably is a reason, and thats all fine, but I'm just curious as to why. Maybe they just don't have the time, and it takes a good amount of time to configure? If so, I can understand.
It just seems to me that they have their priorities pretty straight. They knew online was going to be destroyed by latency, just like Sakurai admitted, so they'd probably rather put their time into things they can better control.

Observing the posts closely, it's easy to read what their intentions are. Like it's clear as day that it was their plan to have Gamecube be the control method; every screenshot with some kind of instruction on-screen is done with the Gamecube button images.

Sakurai was never excited about the idea of online, he just promised it because so many people begged for it. I'm not really surprised that what we got isn't full-blown.

Although honestly, what we did get was both more than we were promised and way more than good enough. The only complaints you'll hear out of me is about the people who think it's not good enough.

I loved this update. No voice chat? Good, I don't want any little tards yelling in my ear. No Rankings? Good, less hax and disconnecting. The only problem I have is lag. It can't be that hard to get rid of lag considering even the XBOX 1 seemed to play pretty smoothly. Then again, the online play is free, so I'm not gonna cry my eyes out.
I love you. Logical thinking ftw.

Does anyone know if it would be possible to have all of the stats stored not on the Wii, but on a website? Bungie.net, for example.
A lot of DS games would automatically track your stats on the official WFC website... so it's not out of the question. But Sakurai was originally against the idea of ranking at all, so I wouldn't get your hopes up for much more.

METROID MAN

Smash Journeyman

aran_fusion

Smash Cadet
I just have high expectations, I hope those 'other wifi services' include voice, a lobby, or simply just a way to communicate.

specialsauce

Smash Journeyman
finally we can all stopworryin about wther brawl will be oniline, plus we can now look forward to hearing about additional game modes and uses for onlinein brawl its gonna be awesome

WoapGang

Mighty Soul of Woapgang
3DS FC
3411-2904-8277
Sakurai was never the biggest of fans when it came to Wi-fi...like Fanewgie said, its only because so many people came to expect it due to the sucess of the previous games

CodeRed

Smash Apprentice
i dont really know what you mean....

Bungie.Net stored info from matches played on Halo 2. You could see kills, deaths, who you played, where it was played, etc.

As I said before, I am not sure how this works, but does anyone that does know a thing or two about this know if it is possible.

Kooichi

Smash Journeyman
I was so HAPPY when I saw this update! ^_^ 100th update FTW! XD

Gamecube Controller can be used
Awesome Online Play
now all I need is Falco playable and I'm complete :D

leefan

Smash Cadet
YES!!!!!!! ****, this is prolly the best news i got for a few months... now we just hafta see if advanced techs are still in, and all will be happy!

Megavitamins

Smash Champion
Well since alot of people are looking at this, instead of making a new thread I will use this one. I was wondering if your wii has to be onloine enabled to have wifi? Thanks in advance.

Conker1

Smash Ace
YOUR WELCOME
God can't spell?

Anyway, I don't think there will be a big problem with finding who you're playing.

People could just set up a Teamspeak or Ventrillo server and set up a match over IRC or something.

Stryks

Smash Hero
Yeah thats what sux, not knowing who ur facing, I mean it wouldnt be too hard, MSC does it well... think about it, I could be facing Ken, PC Chris, Isai and I wouldnt even KNOW IT!!

Top Bottom