• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Wafa? Wefe? It's WiFi baby!

BentoBox

Smash Master
Yay for online, I guess... This was the thing I was looking forward to the most but it didn't go as well as my grand scheme for world domination had planned. The main thing that annoys me is that there is no way to communicate with random people... What happens if I find an opponent of my level from Colombia? (Tho I wouldn't even know that), are we expected to wait for them to join a community like ours to let themselves be known? And in no way does using the crosspad help simulate the environment we've been used to playing smash in... I also can't imagine having to use Ventrilo as a remedy to the issue~ Sigh.

64 being the max amount of firend codes you can store, how many here would be willing to add complete strangers? Just wondering... Even 64 doesn't seem enough~ =[

Sorry for being a negative nancy :D

The Hypnotist

Smash Lord
I told you all that online was a given. anyways, I'm glad we don't HAVE to play with items. It's very possible that their will be no items due to lag. It's gonna be a blast to just OWN 12 year olds, it really is. Wavedash?! WHAT?!

I also told you theere would be no ranking system, it's just not nintendo's style, and Sakurai said it wouldn't happen. We'll have some smash rankings though.

This is very exciting, I am looking forward to playing you guys.

Solharath

[ZTD] CEO
Oh great, a free reason to let the floodgates of smack talk begin. =P

Otherwise, I'm excited - I finally will always have someone to Smash with. Now if they could allow this program to be released with a version for Melee, all the better for us who don't have Wii's.... yet.

Mr fN LeON

Smash Cadet
I'm a huge nintendo fan cause of all their games but wi-fi doesn't compare to xboxs online service. Their online play is almost perfect cause its so ez 2 use nd it has voice wen I play strikers it doesn't even feel like I'm playin online anyways

Zhilo

Smash Apprentice
I am expecting that with time, they will eventually develop a Lobby for players to set up their world matches in a more organized way. That way, Clans will actually make any sense, since you will know who you are fighting from the lobby.

That's what i'm hoping for.

Homelessvagrant

Smash Lord
3DS FC
5455-9417-5731
I'm a huge nintendo fan cause of all their games but wi-fi doesn't compare to xboxs online service. Their online play is almost perfect cause its so ez 2 use nd it has voice wen I play strikers it doesn't even feel like I'm playin online anyways
It does for me, but only because I live all the way over at korea. I know it's sad U_U

Bass.

Smash Journeyman
It's going to be annoying dealing with people disconnecting, then having to reconnect like on strikers. That and the slight lag might effect certain extreme technical characters.

Mckillyou

Smash Journeyman
Hmmmmmmm. I wonder if there will be guests? (As in, bringing in more players on one console, like on Halo 2 for instance)

Toologist

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Toologist
3DS FC
0963-1281-8162
Wow, and I just noticed that Wi-Fi has its own section in Game Modes. o.o Should've realized that when Sakurai said there were more features that are yet to be revealed. Awesome.

Alias

Smash Apprentice
Voice chat is %100...atleast with friends for sure

i love this last line
"We’re planning a number of services that make use of Wi-Fi, but we’ll reveal them gradually with the other modes. Enjoy"

that means they're not completly done so it isnt too late.

basically, anyone who has Metroid Prime Hunters (a nintendo game duh), would know how nearly impossible it is to communicate what modes we want. How long a person has to stay and such, without voice chat

Sakurai did say there are other modes in brawl, so unless theres this tarded voting thing. Voice chat is for sure

just as we knew Brawl would have online (even though some of you foolishly doubted it), this game's voice chat is a must

kthxbye

Leobenmc

Smash Journeyman
What would happen if you taunttalk in the air? Would you still be able to say your text in that case without waiting for the animation?
heh, I can see it now -
SHFFL'D <"BOOM HEADSHOT">SPEAK!
That would be much better - I'd hate to do Mario's taunt everytime I wanted to say "Unlucky". D-Pad should produce the Speak in any situation - but only taunt when on ground. Hopefully

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
And I also wonder if we'll be able to view matches that we're not playing in.
That would neat in a world where the Internet is all powerful, but since lag between just two people is an issue, I seriously hope that feature can at least be blocked.

Yomon

Smash Apprentice
I'm very happy to see online play officially confirmed! The only downside to this week's update is that Sakurai said that records wouldn't be recorded when you play against everyone.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
I'm very happy to see online play officially confirmed! The only downside to this week's update is that Sakurai said that records wouldn't be recorded when you play against everyone.
Who cares? We'll make our own superior ranking system anyway.

Leobenmc

Smash Journeyman
Oh, what does the 1/4 mean on Bill's name mean?

We KNOW (well, it's a pretty smart assumption) that the 3/64 refers to 3 in the 64 potential Friend List. But I'm puzzled by 1/4 next to Bill's name.

SEEKING BRAWL, is next to it - which led me initially to believe that he's created a room, and he's the only one in it atm. Which goes AGAINST the Mario Strikers system - it's as though Bill has created a "server" that people in his Friends list can join! So, no longer inviting people - start a Brawl and everyone who can see you on their Friend List can just jump in! Which means that Bill can set all the options he wants (probably).

Which finally leads me to...How can the Friends Option be ranked? I guess I was secretly hoping (After "There will also be no battle records kept for this mode, so whether you win or lose, it doesn’t matter. Just sit back and play." for Anyone Play) that the Friends option, at least, could include a ranked mode...

(Also, that Heart on the Friends Option makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside)

Dashiamo

Smash Cadet
So what happens here? you press a direction, the message appears, you perform the taunt. Can your friend just walk up to you and smash you during the taunt?

Drake3

Smash Ace
So that was like...the greatest update ever. I really wasn't expecting anything but then I saw the little "Sept. 18 2007 Wi-Fi Play" and thought maybe they changed the meaning of Wi-Fi :confused:

Wheeee! Can't wait to play against good people now (No offense to my friends <_<)

BentoBox

Smash Master
Voice chat is %100...atleast with friends for sure

i love this last line
"We’re planning a number of services that make use of Wi-Fi, but we’ll reveal them gradually with the other modes. Enjoy"

that means they're not completly done so it isnt too late.

basically, anyone who has Metroid Prime Hunters (a nintendo game duh), would know how nearly impossible it is to communicate what modes we want. How long a person has to stay and such, without voice chat

Sakurai did say there are other modes in brawl, so unless theres this tarded voting thing. Voice chat is for sure

just as we knew Brawl would have online (even though some of you foolishly doubted it), this game's voice chat is a must

kthxbye
You must be mentally ill.

I wonder if there will be online tournaments that can be set up. And I also wonder if we'll be able to view matches that we're not playing in.

EDIT:
I can't say this enough but: This update was the best by far. A gargantuan weight has just been lifted off of our shoulders.
For tourneys to be organized with the current setup, most of the work would have to be done on the forums. It would work like any tourney except that instead of being called upon when it is finally your turn to duke it out, you'll just be assigned a FC to add to your list and fight said FC's owner, report on the outcome on the forums and move on~ No social interaction, no hyphies, no video recording: bad.

fosskers

Smash Rookie
You think thats Mario's front smash or a Charge B? Probably just a wicked looking fsmash; it looks cool either way

Fanewgie

Smash Ace
To get this out of the way; those of you expecting voice chat are only setting yourselves up for disappointment (which is a common action on these boards anyway). Nintendo currently has no plans at all to bring voice chat to the Wii. I'd be very, very surprised if they got it up and running in under three months.

Even if they do, Sakurai himself already admitted that latency will kill this game. You morons want to lag it out even more with voice chat? Use your heads before you make these stupid demands.

Plainly put, we already got more than we were promised for online play, and you idiots still aren't happy.

When it comes to my own thoughts on online, I couldn't be more pleased. Firstly, I really had myself believing that last night would be nothing special; I didn't believe in this 100th update extravaganza at all. I was also sure that the online mode was going to be slapped-on in order to keep whining fanboys quiet (and you can tell by the tone of the post that Sakurai himself isn't very excited over it).

But it really looks like they pulled this one off. I don't think there's anything better they could have done. Looks like finding and playing against friends will be completely painless, and even playing against anyone, we don't have to worry about random Sheik/Marth/Fox spammers (or their Brawl equivalents) screwing up our records.

Although I still stand by what I've said; consoles are not online machines. PCs are. Consoles are about gathering friends together and actually interacting as you play party games (emphasis on the PARTY GAME) like this.

If you don't have friends, well, try a little harder. Being a freelance artist I leave the house, on average, about 2-3 times a month. Yet I still have more than enough Melee players to duke it out with.

Am I saying online won't be a nice addition? No. But if you were relying on a super awesome online mode to make you friends, you're a fool.

ChRed2AKrisp

Smash Master
Not gonna read through 14 pages of wtuff, but i'm pointing out what mic didn't which is that sakurai said random play is unranked, indirectly confirming that friend play will be despite (and i'm quite suer of this) the fact that he said a while ago that he doubted there would be ranking.

I'm looking forward to an update where we can learn about customizing online games, like with/without items, random stages, teams, etc.

Killer Tree

Smash Journeyman
Still no mic support...

No ranks...

FACEPALM

edit: LOL @ people saying mic support will lag the game. I don't think you realise how little voice chat takes up bandwidth

Top Bottom