• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[WA] Perth Smash Thread

Riot_ Fires

Smash Apprentice
PK BRAWL..! Smasher's Unite..!

UNITE 2 FIGHT
@ PKBRAWL!!

- SUNDAY 1st MARCH
-18 Morfontaine Parade, PORT KENNEDY

If possible, please bring your Wii + Brawl. This will ensure we have enough time for all the events. Anyone wishing to grab a copy of their recorded matches, please bring along any form of usb, external HD, laptop or blank cd/dvd.

Entrance:
$5 to enter in to each tournament (Brawl singles), $10 for teams ($5 each)! If you don’t want to enter you are still welcome to come down and watch/play some non tournament matches.

FOR SIGNUPS PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHICH TOURNAMENTS YOU WILL BE ENTERING, NOT JUST IF YOU CAN ATTEND.

Signup:
In order to register, please contact me (Bob) on 0422 461 561 or let me know in this forum/via PM, once I have received confirmation of your entry I will add you to the list. Please try to let me know as soon as possible, it can be quite difficult to organize brackets with odd numbers – especially when I’m unsure of the final amount of people turning up.

Start time:
12 noon – it is recommended that you arrive at least half an hour early though, so we are able to begin on schedule, I will be there from 9:00 am setting up. if anyone wants to come and help, come early to bring recording gear or play a few friendlies before the tourny starts, its your call. all help is appreciated!

There is a train service running to WARNBRO TRAIN STATION for anyone who is in close proximity to one and unable to drive. We will be having pickups from the train station, so please let me know if you are arriving by train and your approximate arrival time. The train takes about 40 minutes max from perth to arrive at Warnbro.

All prizes:
80/20 1st + 2nd place

Brawl Singles Rules:
Each match will be 3 stock 8 minute time limit. Items are off.

Each set will be decided through a best of 3 series of games with the Advanced Slobs counter-picking system. The format of this system is as follows:

For the first game of the set, both players announce their character that they will be using without the other player knowing (optional).
The map is decided in one of two ways, if both players are able to agree on a neutral map then that one will be played, if the players are unable to agree on a map then it shall be decided through the game’s random function, which only contains maps on the neutral list.

For the second and third game, the format is a bit different. The loser of the previous game first picks the map that will be played, this can be from the neutral or counter-pick list. Once the map has been selected the winner of the previous game chooses their character, the loser – who has chosen the map – chooses their character last.

The Neutral and Counter-pick stage list is as follows:

Neutral Stages:
Battlefield
Final Destination
Yoshi's Island
Lylat Cruise
Smashville

Counterpick Stages:
Pokemon Stadium (Melee)
Luigis Mansion
Great Sea
Norfair
Frigate Orpheon
Yoshi's Island (Melee)
Jungle Japes
Battleship Halberd
Rainbow Ride
Brinstar
Pokemon Stadium 2
Distant Planet(D)
Pictochat
Green Greens
Delfino Plaza (D)
Mario Circuit (D)
Onett (D)
Green Greens (D)
Green Hill Zone (D)
Bridge of Eldin (D)
Corneria (D)
Hanenbow (N)
Port Town Aero Dive
Skyworld

BANNED
All other stages

*(D) signifies the stage is not selectable if someone is using Dedede, unless both players agree.
*(N) signifies the stage is awesome and can be counterpicked by anyone ^_^

*In the event of a dispute, controller ports will be selected by Rock-Paper-Scissors

*No player may choose a stage they have already won on in that set unless agreed upon by both players

*No player may choose a stage they have already won on in that set unless agreed upon by both players

* Metaknight's Infinite Cape glitch is banned.

* If a game ends with Bowser doing his suicide klaw and it ends in sudden death, the sudden death will be ignored and that game will count as a win for Bowser.

* You are responsible for your own controller and name tag. Any malfunctions or errors that occur are your responsibility, so bring an extra controller if possible and always check to make sure you're using the correct settings BEFORE a match is played. If a match is to be restarted due to controller functions, it must be agreed upon by both parties.

* Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (i.e., freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in a forfeit of that match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character, and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.

* Stalling is banned.

Stalling: The act of deliberately avoiding any and all conflict so that one may make the game unplayable. Running away from an opponent to reach a better position is not stalling, while doing an infinite grab endlessly against a wall is. Any infinite chain grabs most end quickly after 300% has been reached so as to prevent excessive stalling.

Brawl Doubles Rules:
Each match will be 3 stock 8 minute time limit.

Items are off.

Team attack is on.

Life Stealing is allowed.

All stalling - including the MK infinite cape glitch - is banned.

Stalling: The act of deliberately avoiding any and all conflict so that one may make the game unplayable. Running away from an opponent to reach a better position is not stalling, while doing an infinite grab endlessly against a wall is. Any infinite chain grabs must end quickly after 300% has been reached so as to prevent excessive stalling. (citation from the SBR recommended rule list)

Controller Port Placement:
Controller ports will be determined in a 1221 fashion, if a debate arises over who takes what port, it shall be settled by rock paper scissors.

Each set will be decided through a best of 3 series of games with the Advanced Slobs counter-picking system. The format of this system is as follows:

For the first game of the set, both teams announce their characters that they will be using – this can be done without the other team knowing (optional).
The map is decided in one of two ways, if both teams are able to agree on a starter map then that one will be played, if the players are unable to agree on a map then it shall be decided through the game’s random function, which only contains maps on the starter list.

For the second and third game, the format is a bit different. The loser of the previous game first picks the map that will be played, this can be from the starter or counter-pick list. Once the map has been selected the winner of the previous game chooses their character, the loser – who has chosen the map – chooses their character last.

The Starter and Counter-pick stage list is as follows:

Starter Stages
Battlefield
Final Destination
Yoshi's Island
Lylat Cruise
Smashville
Delfino Plaza

Counterpick Stages
Rainbow Ride
Pokemon Stadium (Melee)
Luigis Mansion
Great Sea
Norfair
Frigate Orpheon
Yoshi's Island (Melee)
Jungle Japes
Battleship Halberd
Brinstar
Pokemon Stadium 2
Distant Planet
Pictochat
Mario Circuit
Onett
Green Greens
Green Hill Zone
Bridge of Eldin
Corneria
Hanenbow
Port Town Aero Dive
Skyworld

BANNED
All other stages

Melee Singles Rules:
General:
- Bring your own controller, or ensure someone is bringing one for you. Tournament staff are not resposible for providing extra controllers.
- Good behaviour is expected; if tournament staff deems that you are causing trouble in this fashion, you will be kicked out of the tournament without refund.
- Controllers: see MLG rules (no modifications aside from cosmetic changes, no programmed buttons)
- No pausing during a match.
- No infinite stall/freeze glitches (ie: Peach's Wallbombing, Jigglypuff's rising pound, Ice Climber freeze glitch, etc). If you use these in a match, you forfeit that match. If one of these tactics is used on you for the purpose of stalling the match, pause the game and call for tournament staff.
- Once a match has been announced, it must be started within 5 minutes. If one or more of the participants does not show up within the 5 minutes, they forfeit the match.
- Prizes: 80/20 1st/2nd
- No friendlies will be allowed during any part of the tournament, unless staff relax the rules. Players caught playing friendlies during busy tournament sessions will be warned. It would be more appropriate to friendly people outside the tournament date.
- Money Matches are allowed to take place where possible.
- Spectators are welcome.

Match rules:
- All matches are 4 stock, 8 minute time limit
- Dave's Modified Stupid Rule: No stage may be used twice in a single set if the player choosing already won on that stage
- Stage Knock-out: Each player (or team, in teams) may choose to eliminate one of the legal stages (neutral OR counterpick) to be chosen at the beginning of the set.
- Advanced Slob Picks: Loser may choose the next stage or elect to go random, then winner may choose to change characters, then loser may change characters
- Double blind pick may be called at any time (the only time this is useful is, before players choose their first initial character, before the first game starts).

- Neutral stages:

Fountain of Dreams
Dream Land 64
Battlefield
Yoshi's Story
Final Destination
Pokemon Stadium

- Counterpick stages: Any neutral stage, plus

Rainbow Cruise
Green Greens
Corneria
Brinstar
Mute City
Poke Floats
Donkey Kong 64
- Any other stage is BANNED

FOR SIGNUPS PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHICH TOURNAMENTS YOU WILL BE ENTERING, NOT JUST IF YOU CAN ATTEND. DO NOT BOTHER FOR SIGNUPS REGARDING MELEE AS THAT WILL BE A FRIENDLY TOURNAMENT.

Riot_ Fires

Smash Apprentice
DOUBLE POST..! sorry peeps..

Can the tourney date please be posted up as thread title kthx..

Vlade.. That's the only date i can get unless everyone is up for saturday the 28th Feb.. please let me know availability asap cause i always try to cater for the majority.. Im pushing it for any other datesbetween and immediately after as my calendar is full of b-days and soundwave ^_^ so hope people can make it this time DON'T BE FREAKIN' LAZY..!!

Yeah im up for a $5 best of 3 MM with you Vlade 'ol buddy and even some friendlies.. Still a 'lil rusty on metaknight matchups since i haven't been able to face off against muzga for a while heh heh.. Im sure Babbs wil be up for some more serious matches too as ive been slowly teaching her what there is to know about brawl.. all she needs now is some real life matchups to teach her how to face-off against other peeps..

Alzi.. don;t be afraid of me and muzga we are honestly big softies.. Just with sharp metal teeth and a tazer.. Hope to see you all soon..

BLAH..!

Vlade

Social Outcast
That day SHOULD be fine. Next term however I don't think I'll be free on sundays because of soccer >_>

Sign me up anyhow and this time please use both tv's :p That way we can have time for MM's, friendlies, doubles, etc.

I'll bring my recording gear as well.

Alzi

Smash Master
Ok this is A PERFECT DAY since the next day after that is labour day so it means no school. I will definatly be coming to this tourney even if i break my arms i will still come and watch.

I will tell jono lets hope he will let me come to his house and then drive to the tourney so it will make my trip more enjoyable. Also theres a house for sale near my area you should buy it =P

Also i'll be entering doubles if jono comes aswell. Also is it ok if i sell some of these small figurines over there? I have linebeck from phantom hourglass and alot of mario kart DS figures like yoshi, peach, mario can i bring them to sell if anyone is intrested?

Jupz

Smash Master
sounds good but which way is it from perth? cause i live 20 mins train north of perth and if it takes an hour or more to get there i might not be able to come

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
You'd need to take the Mandurah train line for a while, not sure the specifics of time, but it'd be at least half an hour. Come on down and bring a book for the train ride :D

Muzga

Smash Ace
about 55 minutes (we timed it. it was something like that. isamuel has an exact figure)
im coming to this one guys!

Riot_ Fires

Smash Apprentice
Yeah the train line to my house is the Mandurah line from perth station.. It takes approximately 30 mins on most days 40 mins on bad days.. You need to get off at the Warnbro train station which is the second last stop..

There will def be 2 tvs for tourney battles this time, just last time we had low numbers and i thought it would be nice to have a catch up tourney.. Its good to finally see more people coming down cant wait to catch some new faces and new BATTLES.. I understand that the travel can be lame but we have lifts to and from the train station and we urge people to try and arrive before 12 so we can things rolling by 12.30 at the latest (usually mic runs late but we've come to accept his fashionably late entrances ^_-)..

Feel free to bring your figurines Alzi, bring your DS and any extra wii games etc for after tourney fun.. People are welcome to stay till late we usually order pizza etc and got enough room for people to crash..

Ah my mobile number is currently dead cause of overdue bills *cough* but closer to the date i will post my contact details so you can get hold of me on the day for pick-ups.. Thinks thats everything.. catch later..!

ps- Vlade dont forget to post the link to your uploaded vids i needa get a hold of em.. >_<

BLAH..!

Alzi

Smash Master
Seems like i will get the train with jono or somthing unless we can drive there but it is a long drive and petrol cost alot these days too.

Ravener there these mini figurines i'll sell them for $5 each. I got two linebecks from phantom hourglass it comes with him and a little rupee beside him and i got these mini mario kart ds figures of the characters in the kart. You can see them at the tourney or i can take pictures. I will try and finish english homework and study heaps so i am 100% free on saturday and sunday.

Vlade

Social Outcast
Results for Shaya:

1st - Corpsecreate (Toon Link)
2nd - Richard7 (Wario)
3rd - Niven (ROB)
4th - Vlade (MK/Falco)
5th - Riot_Fires (Olimar)
5th - Alex (Diddy/Peach?)
7th - Mic_128 (P Trainer)
7th - Glenn (Peach)

Entrants: 8. lol.

@ Andre - I challenge you to a pokemon battle/brawl! Bring it on!

ichigo601

Smash Apprentice
doesnt look like game traders are interested :ohwell:...tried to get a hold of the main guy again 4 ages couldnt, so i left my name and contact number and he never called back :(

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Don't wait for them to call back, he might have been busy/lost your number. If you harras them, they'll cave in ;)

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
I'll do my best to get a copy of Brawl that has those unfortunate Wario/Sonic textures fixed, with the crashing textures removed and a couple of new textures. ;)

Vlade

Social Outcast
I'll do my best to get a copy of Brawl that has those unfortunate Wario/Sonic textures fixed, with the crashing textures removed and a couple of new textures. ;)
The sonic/ROB texture just makes me rofl seriously.

And no, we don't have combo videos. I'm too lazy to make one. Combo videos don't really show skill anyway.

Ravener

Smash Apprentice
I demand that Lylat Cruise is taken off the neutral stages list. It's stupid.

I wouldn't mind if yoshi's is taken off as well, but that's pushing it :)
Hey i don't see wats so stupid about that. (except for it really disadvantages falco players, but who cares anyway)
Anyway does anyone have any combo videos for lucario?

Vlade

Social Outcast
It gives pretty unfair advantages to certain characters such as ROB and Meta.

Smashville is generally accepted as 'the most neutral stage' because no character (maybe except for snake, IC's and DDD?) would consider it as their best stage.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Smashville is generally accepted as 'the most neutral stage' because no character (maybe except for snake, IC's and DDD?) would consider it as their best stage.
So Snake and D3 can have a slight advantage for a starter stage but ROB can't? And with the way starter stages are chosen (or at least 'officially' are), it can just be stage struck if you don't like it. I'm not sure how the next SBR Stage list is going to look, mainly because they had almost finished votes for the next one and decided to completely discus revamping the entire thinking behind it (speaking of, I probably shouldn't even say that so shhhhh!) but what it was going to look like for starters would have been interesting ;)

Alzi

Smash Master
I could ask game traders whitfords about this state quilifiars thing you guys are trying to get.

Vlade you do have a point about lylat cruise it does disadvantage some characters such as falco, fox, wolf, shiek, zelda, bowser, DK, It can mess up alot of recoverys making it more as a counter pick stage for those characters witht he disadvantage. But toon link does good on it so everything is just fine ;)

Vlade

Social Outcast
So Snake and D3 can have a slight advantage for a starter stage but ROB can't? And with the way starter stages are chosen (or at least 'officially' are), it can just be stage struck if you don't like it. I'm not sure how the next SBR Stage list is going to look, mainly because they had almost finished votes for the next one and decided to completely discus revamping the entire thinking behind it (speaking of, I probably shouldn't even say that so shhhhh!) but what it was going to look like for starters would have been interesting ;)
I want to hear more about the sbr! :p

I don't think we have been using the stage striking system here in perth though, we've either agreed on a stage to play or selected random. At the last tourney sam and I agreed to select random, and if it went on lylat then we'd re-select random. Which meant I got gayed on yoshi's. If we had the stage striking system then I'd stop complaining.

Vlade

Social Outcast
I have Tatsunoko vs Capcom for the Wii. Would anyone be interested in playing it at the next tournament? It's an awesome traditional fighter game, but it's only been released in Japan, and I highly doubt it will be released in the US, let along in PAL regions thanks to licensing issues with Tatsunoko (the company). Perhaps we could get a Perth scene for it and have side tournaments or something lol.

It should work with bob's Freeloader, but unfortunately we won't have viewtiful joe unlocked, coz I can't bring my wii. :p

Vlade only dislikes Lylat because he is a Falco main. I only pointed that out because I'm a ROB main. >_>

Hello new counterpick stage. =D
Gahhh!

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Wait, did I hear VIEWTIFUL JOE is in a FIGHTER? :o

Shouldn't be hard to find a game save online somewhere and stick it on the Wii.

Alzi

Smash Master
People should be playing that on the 360 not on the wii and COD4 is better :p. Can't you save your file on a SD card then Vietiful joe shall be unlocked for us. :D

Vlade

Social Outcast
Wait, did I hear VIEWTIFUL JOE is in a FIGHTER? :o

Shouldn't be hard to find a game save online somewhere and stick it on the Wii.
Yep, Viewtiful joe :) Unfortunately though, I couldn't transfer my japanese brawl save to my sd card, so I'm not sure if we can transfer a japanse TvC save to a wii. We'll have to see.

Top Bottom