• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[WA] Perth Smash Thread

ichigo601

Smash Apprentice
hey me(alex) and my brother(glenn, the really young one that played pit) will b coming to the doubles tourney, is it ok if we get a lift from wambro train station cos i have no idea about anything in that area lol

Muzga

Smash Ace
Its great to see more entrants signing up at this point!:D it looks like theres going to be some serious competition now!:D

just a reminder that singles are on the 13th of september, we ARE offering lifts from the station for those who need it, and that irrespective of your skill level you are welcome to come along, chat to the rest of us, meet some new people, and if theres a spare tv handy play some frienlies/another game.
I currently own GH3 for the wii, so if youve got a guitar controller and want to play some, bring a wii and your controllerdown, and we can set it up (noticing a fair bit of guitar hero interest in previous posts)

If you guys want to/can bring your recording gear this time i plan to record ALL matches. sorry to those who missed out last time on getting their matches recording. sorry about that, but i had time constraints and was worried about how long it would take for things to clear up. im just glad everything worked out fine!

Im really looking forward to the doubles and seeing something different from what were used to.
Just remember, anyone interested is welcome

Cal-

Smash Apprentice
hey me(alex) and my brother(glenn, the really young one that played pit) will b coming to the doubles tourney, is it ok if we get a lift from wambro train station cos i have no idea about anything in that area lol
Yep, that's fine, just contact me on 0415857522 and we will send someone to get you. 10 teams, as Muzga said - it seems things are picking up :D

Cal-

Smash Apprentice
Sorry for the double post, but I've got a somewhat important message that I need everyone to see.

I've got a friend who is currently writing an essay on games culture and would like to use PK Brawl Doubles as an opportunity to gather some of the information. He would mainly be taking some notes, recording, asking question and taking a few photos (along with hanging out :p).

If anyone is against any of these things could you please let me know? Everyone who'll be in the essay will have to express some form of consent, which would probably be just letting him know that you're fine with being featured in this article.

It won't be getting published - though there is a slim chance it might - it is just an assessment as part of his uni this sememster.

So what does everyone think? Agree? Disagree? He'll be down on Saturday no matter what, but if you express discontent with being in the article you'll not be included, so it's up to you completely whether you want in or not.

kewl_niven

Smash Journeyman
I have no problems with him being there/writing about me etc. I will be bringing my 360 again this weekend, the last 2 track packs for GH3 are possibly the best DLC to ever be released. ^_^

I think we usually get 15+ for most of the tournaments. I've never counted though.

Corpsecreate

Smash Lord
Hi all, Sam (the Toon Link sam) here. I will no longer be using my old 'Shiekah' username, from now on i'll be using this one. Looking forward to the 30'th!

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Urge to ban Sam....rising.... heh heh.

Bring on the writer, imo :)

Oh and coincidently, the SBR's talking about 2v2 tourneys, thought I'd sneak a few interesting tidbits that might be useful.

scamp said:
If you have the time that a normal 1v1 tournament would take, you can do a lot more matches than just pools of 4. A round robin pool of 4 with 2 teams advancing means that half the teams will play 3 sets and be out of the tournament. So I say bigger pools than that. Or maybe you could do pools of 4 with 2 teams advancing and the other 2 going into a pools loser bracket. But I digress.

Extra warmup time would be a good thing so new teams can get used to each other and people can also get food and have it there instead of having to take time to get it during the tourney.
theSuicideFox said:
Seriously, a swiss format tournament with ONLY teams would take about as long as 1v1 + 2v2 would combined, PLUS each team is guarenteed to play at least 3 sets.

Setup: 7 rounds, 1st round is random seeding and every round thereafter you get paired up with a team that has a similar score (either W-L, or stocks, or w/e). After rounds 3 and 5 drop the bottom 50% and at round 7 take the top 16 and do brackets. This would be awesome because people can get in so many matches it would be worth it for the standard $30 per team.

Muzga

Smash Ace
I dont mind being written about.
Any chance we could get a look at his work after he's finished?
An essay like that would be interesting to read!

Woo! doubles!
Good luck to everyone.

Please let us have team names!!!:D:D:D
(erics probably indifferent:p so he wont mind me requesting this!)

*usual singles ad goes here*
More people are always better, so if you have any friends who are non-forum goers who would be interested, let them know about the singles

The list is looking a bit small at the moment, so do what you can to let people know! I'm more prepared this time around. I'll still need a spare TV or two, but this time if everyones as awesome as they were last time, i promise there will be recordings of all the matches!:p

but yeah, spread the word around.
*end singles ad*

So are we going for the double elimination or the round robin style tournament?
Mind you, Ive never done anything like a round robin tournament so itd need a bit of explaining:p

Cal-

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I'm completely confused as to how the format would work >.<
I think it'd be a good idea for some warm ups before the games start though, it'd be as per usual with the early players going some games but I think we should go them with 2v2 friendlies.

Anyways I'm off to uni and then, after that, time to set up for tomorrow :D
Cyas.

ichigo601

Smash Apprentice
add 2 more 2 list got a mate (jon) and his frined coming 2 doubles their pretty new to brawl but still wanna try it out

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Ive never done anything like a round robin tournament so itd need a bit of explaining:p
Very Basically, a round robin involves everyone vsing everyone (or as many different people as possible) and then the people who have won the most move on to the next round. It helps when you can't beat a specific person but might be the better smasher otherwise (IE, if you can beat everyone except <Generic Player> who can only beat you with any real consistancy due to constant friendlies with him, ect, and also players can play more matches than 4 losses and out. But on the other hand, it means more time,and could get more complicated, especially if there's a number of people tied at the divider between final 16 and those who drop out..

Somewhere was a suggestion to have mini round robins between groups of 4 teams (so each team fights 3 teams before moving on)

I don't mind either way, just throwing it out there.

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
Hey everyone, in case you haven't noticed yet, the final rules for GotGames is finally up. Please join the ladders as this will be a sponsored event.

http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=160429

Joining ladders can be done here:
http://www.gotgames.com.au/gg/ladders/4

I also need to put out there that Wi-Fi is NOT a requirement to use the ladders. You are free to challenge anyone you wish, and that includes fellow members of the smash community, offline, however and whenever you want. So it works both ways, in the interests of Online and Offline players, and we have the added benefit of using GotGame's ladder software.

We need a boost in numbers before September 7! :)

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Can't speak on his behalf for singles, but he'll be there for doubles with Kenton.

Yosh_miester

Smash Rookie
Hey, me (Jake) and my partner Rowan will be coming to the doubles too, sounds like its gonna be great! :p

(EDIT) ignore this, i can't come to the doubles one, ill come to the singles one tho

ichigo601

Smash Apprentice
hey my friend jon has 2 more friends coming 2 make 1 team for doubles dont know their name just letting you know

Cal-

Smash Apprentice
Wow, quite the number of changes, good thing I've checked here before taking off to set up :p
I'll make the changes now and get things sorted. Cyas there, remember to contact me via phone on 0415857522 if you need to be picked up, you will be picked up from the Warnbro station, so get off there.

Edit - By the way, if anyone doesn't have a team we've probably got a few people down here who could use a last minute partner.

Also an Edit - Just saw your post, Caotic, I'll get everyone i know that is in to smash to sign up to it :D

Zomg, another Edit - Just read your post on round robin, Mic, and I've gotta say it sounds like a really good system (everyone gets to play more and it balances out). However the doubles is kinda late so I'll be running just the usual double elim, expect this format for the next one I host though :p

Cyas :D

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
HANEBOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW!

Heh, had a brilliant time guys, Teams was hugely refreshing and had, imo, much more of a 'omfg lol' factor :p

Sorry for killing you as Lucas so many times Niv >.>

Riot_ Fires

Smash Apprentice
Heya peeps jus saying thanks to everyone who came to the doubles tourney yesterday..

I waas really impressed with the turnout and its great to see everyone participating heaps and seeing more new faces each time so keep em coming.. Thanks to eric for taking on the task of uploading the vids for us and muzga for startin to hold some future tourneys also.. Its definately good to see people taking a big interest in this scene and help it grow so thanks everyone..

Had a spun-out day yesterday and think the doubles was such an eyeopener.. Some sweet tactics out there and some unusual team make-ups made it heaps interesting and pretty refreshing.. Nice to see how well everyone adapted to this format and how close the majority of games were..

Happy to finally have made it to a tourney and cant wait to catch yall at the next one..

P.S - least dan cant kill his teammate in singles :p but keep the olimar love going dude..! Nice to finally have duelled sam, ric, eric and muzgas mains to see how much people are improving also.. Competition is INTENSE..!

BLAH..!

Muzga

Smash Ace
All the winnings went to sam anyway because hes paid for all of richards entries:p
Curse you, Corpsecreate!!!!
In other news, everyone's improved a lot. i wont be using jiggs for the singles this time around, but maybe next time. it looks like things are going to be really close! I have a feeling Sams reign of terror will soon end!

:pi hope so, anyway. itd be nice to see someone else walk away with the cash for once!

kewl_niven

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for hosting again guys. I had a great time and I'm looking forward to more doubles. ^_^

Don't worry Mic, I got my fair share of kills on you too. ~_^

Singles tournament needs moar Hanenbow. <3

Sirias

Smash Champion
HELLO PERTH...IANS? Perthites? Perth... people, I dunno, what do people call it. Perthese? Perther? Hahah... pointless.

Greetings, though, I don't think I've sent a message into your thread... either for a long time or at all. It's nothing too important, nothing full of 'grandeur' so to say, I think, but yar, something to do.
How be you all? Good I hope?

May I ask what thine rankings might be for everyone, and who plays who?
And how often you all play Brawl?
And why I'm asking these questions.
I would say "Smash" but I find it unlikely you play Melee from reading Mic's post saying like... only Bringer and Quetz play it (sorta).

I see not Bringer posting, be he a busy-body?

Muzga

Smash Ace
@sirias: ive still got a copy of melee. i used to play with friends but i wasnt very good, and i was sick of losing so id already stopped playing it before brawl came out.

For a few years there hasnt really been a big melee base at all. before brawl came out there was about a group of 9 people who would attend meets and play. since brawl came out, i wouldnt be suprised if a few of those people havent touched brawl since the release of melee (im looking at yoooou mic!)

There is a large group of perth brawlers though, and It's gradually getting bigger and better.

Anyways...
@everyone else: oim going to repost the singles ad here so people can read the ad and sign up straight away as opposed to redirecting them to some obscure page:p
So here it is

Smasharoo 2!
win on nothing but your own pure skill!!

*** Saturday September 13 ***
*** 9 parin Rd- Marangaroo ***

Entrance:
$5 to enter in to the tournament, if you don’t want to enter you are still welcome to come down and watch/play some non tournament matches.

Signup:
In order to register, please contact me (Andre) on 0421 744 909 or let me know in this forum or via PM, once I have received confirmation of your entry I will add you to the list. Please try to let me know as soon as possible, it can be quite difficult to organize brackets with odd numbers – especially when I’m unsure of the final amount of people turning up.

Start time:
12 noon – it is recommended that you arrive at least half an hour early though, so we are able to begin on schedule, I will be there from 9:00 am setting up. if anyone wants to come and help, come early to bring recording gear or play a few friendlies before the tourny starts, its your call. all help is appreciated!

Prize:
$5 entrance split 80/20 1st + 2nd place

Rules:
Each match will be 3 stock 7 minute time limit. Items are off.

Each set will be decided through a best of 3 series of games with the Advanced Slobs counter-picking system. The format of this system is as follows:

For the first game of the set, both players announce their character that they will be using without the other player knowing (optional).
The map is decided in one of two ways, if both players are able to agree on a neutral map then that one will be played, if the players are unable to agree on a map then it shall be decided through the game’s random function, which only contains maps on the neutral list.

For the second and third game, the format is a bit different. The loser of the previous game first picks the map that will be played, this can be from the neutral or counter-pick list. Once the map has been selected the winner of the previous game chooses their character, the loser – who has chosen the map – chooses their character last.

The Neutral and Counter-pick stage list is as follows:

Neutral Stages:
Battlefield
Final Destination
Yoshi's Island
Lylat Cruise
Smashville

Counterpick Stages
Pokemon Stadium (Melee)
Luigis Mansion
Great Sea
Norfair
Frigate Orpheon
Yoshi's Island (Melee)
Jungle Japes
Battleship Halberd
Rainbow Ride
Brinstar
Pokemon Stadium 2
Distant Planet(D)
Pictochat
Delfino Plaza (D)
Mario Circuit (D)
Onett (D)
Green Greens (D)
Green Hill Zone (D)
Bridge of Eldin (D)
Corneria (D)

BANNED
All other stages

(D) signifies the stage is not selectable if someone is using Dedede, unless both players agree.

Also, MetaKnight's Infinite Dimensional Cape is counted as Stalling and is therefore banned

We will be having two televisions running the tournament matches. Like last time, i dont have any recording devices, so its up to YOU if you want the matches recorded:p

Sadly i only have one TV. (i only found out on the day of my last tourny that my other tv just can't connect to a wii.) If you bring a tv it'd help heaps. ideally we should have 3 tv's there. 2 for recording, one for other games/friendlies while the competitions underway. that being said, it's up to all of us to make this dream a reality:p

Currant Entrants List:
Muzga
Cal
Synnic
Corpsecreate
Riot_Fires
C7
Tumnus
Le_cheese
Mic_128
Niven
Bringer
Yosh_meister
Alex
Jon
Glenn
Nabs
Raymond
Sam
Matt
Rowan
Richard

In order to set this tournament up and make it work im going to need the support i had last time. thanks to everyone who helped out last time. hopefully this works out again:p. this means i'll need a spare tv and wii or two! if you want to help, id more then appreciate it.
We (and i dont mean eric) will be offering lifts from warwick station and back for anyone who wants to come along!

Daterian

Smash Cadet
Im not going to say any names because i will probably get them wrong, but we have a few guys who consistantly do well and place highly, the rest is somewhat of a mixing pot so it is difficult to give 'rankings' as such. In fact I don't think we have actually ranked anyone in any official sense.
In fact the only consistant rankings recently in terms of singles has been Sam winning with Toon Link everytime, and Jon coming second with pit/snake.

As for character turnout there is a reasonable spread. I wouldn't say any particular character dominates in attendance. We have a couple of meta-knight mainers, some olimars, a pit, toon link, a couple of fox's i think, a snake. a Pokemon trainer, a rob...there are more but my brain isn't working atm...it's a fair spread, and people change the characters they play a fair bit so again i cant give you a definitive answer. Your best bet to see what we are all like is to go back through the posts and find the links of replays. Some doubles replays are also going up sometime soon i believe (whenever they have the time) so you can probably have a bit of a browse then.

Muzga

Smash Ace
Awesome! Keep the entries coming:D
EDIT: and im planning to keep these singles tournies going monthly.
Cal, feel free to work around that:p
when shall we get together for the gotgames matches?
Im still a little confused at the system, we could do a few of those matches after the tourny at mine is finished.

Riot_ Fires

Smash Apprentice
Hey muzga personally i feel we should do our gotgames rounds after your tournament.. I personally will probably have to do 2 rounds in advance as i wont be available to play for 2 weeks after which blows.. *shakes fist at mining*..

In answer to the smash lord dude.. Everyone has improved heaps whilst we do have a few people who stood out originally i feel that everyone has caught up to an equal level of competition.. Its gotten to become a very competitive scene here in perth with growing numbers and a solid group of regulars.. Tournaments are being held every month successfully with prize pools and videos of every match being posted in this thread and on you tube..

Cant wait to catch you all at muzgas tourney and hope to get some gotgames matches in too..!

BLAH..!

Muzga

Smash Ace
okay. works for me:D
im going to be changing the names of the tournies at mine because a few people have gotten confused between chris's tournies and mine. any suggestions?

more new entries please:p
MOAR!

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
don't forget guys, the gotgames circut started today! Set up some challenges for Sat so you can get them done offline :D

Muzga

Smash Ace
I think a thread title change is in need!
Also, please let me know if you plan to bring tvs/wiis/recording devices. ideally i hope we can get all matches recorded. the need for a second TV is evident as ever; if anyone can help me out by bringing a spare TV it would be muchly appreciated. if you do this for me you get lots of wub<3

(PLEASE let me know if youre bringing any of the above.)
Also, tell your friends! do whatever you can! for goodness sake get some MOAR PEOPLE!:p

on a completely different note, im not sure about whether its ok to ask here or if i should just make an additional thread about it. does anyone have a copy of mgs: the twin snakes for the gamecube i could buy off them? (if not, please disregard this part:p

but yes! im looking forward to what is definitely going to be our best tournament yet!

kewl_niven

Smash Journeyman
I can bring my TV again. (Plus a Wii and 360 for some Guitar Hero <3 >_>)

I might be a bit late to the tournament, hopefully I will have golf on the Saturday morning and might arrive between 12 and 1, depending what time I tee off. =/

Muzga

Smash Ace
okay, that means unless someone else can bring a TV we'll probably have to start late. ah well,

Top Bottom