• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[WA] Perth Smash Thread

Vlade

Social Outcast
Well, it doesn't HAVE to be the Street Fighter community. Trav has pointed out a problem that will arise if we do this and having a decreased number of attendants in brawl is something we don't want. Since there are street fighter fans in the smash scene it is inevitable that people would prefer to enter Street Fighter over Brawl if it's not possible to enter both (which is the most likely case). I'm not sure if I'm grabbing things out of thin air but I have a feeling that I recall Pete mentioning that there is a tekken community which has like 40 people? Please correct me if I'm wrong but if I'm right perhaps it would be a better choice since I'm quite confident in saying that nobody in the perth smash scene would enter tekken over brawl (except buff for trolling purposes ;)). This way we don't lose attendance in the brawl tournaments and still get much more people to cover the venue, thus making it cheaper.

Hater

Smash Ace
Pete is inferring that the sf scene is the biggest and it not having 40 members means it would be illogical for the tekken scene to have as many ....

MTGod

Smash Champion
TY for having us Marteh; the brawwwwwwcastle crashers was epic :D

I don't think there is a bigger console fighting community in Perth than SF/Tekken. I believe you'd have to go to FPS, RTS or card games to get a ~40+ person community in Perth :p

@Brad: yeah man that's cool, you missed out on some epic stuff though :D We'll have more brawl before the tourney though def ;)

swordsaint

Smash Master
there'd be enough time to play SF and Brawl if you started early, was strict to a schedule and made sure the venue was open late enough. (look at starting at 9-10 and finishing between 10-12)

melbourne has a bigger scene and they do couch warriors which runs on time providing people cooperate.

Leisha

Top Tier Pillow
NNID
Miss-ChuChu
Lol, melbourne tournaments never finish on time because everyone ****s off and doesnt do their matches >.> and the TO's wont be strict enough to punish it. If they're not doing matches, just threaten to DQ them. That will get them to straighten up.

Braddles

Smash Apprentice
The jewish and aboriginal communities.
Hahahaha, that will definately increase the diversity at the venue.

@Jesse Yeah man that'd be awesome, if theres a day im not working i'll be 1nt0 dat sheet boii..

Hmmmmmm sharing venue fees.. Card games.. I know there is a massive magic community in perth at the moment, I go to a shop in beechborough where the interest is peaking, so i'll put up a notice to see how many ppl would be interested in casual magic on the coming dates of our brawl tournies.. With magic it's easy to sweeten the deal with prizes (booster packs for a door prize etc.) It would have to be casual format however, otherwise I'd have to mediate the confrontations and dictate the rules that arise during a competitve format or when a prize is on stake, especially in the younger players.. "I used lightning bolt on his vengevine but he used giant growth...." etc etc But ppl love to get into casual magic, as much as casual brawl, so we might be able to congregate the two and make something happen there.

Technodeath

Smash Champion
Pete is also pretty big on Magic, so don't worry about being responsible for it.

Pete would rather play that than Brawl.

But yeah, tis a great idea on trying to at least get a few people interested from either side

WHAT TIME YOU GETTING HERE BRAD SON HNNNNNNNNNNNNG

Braddles

Smash Apprentice
The advantage of pairing brawl with a card game is that there'll be no extra stress on tv's etc, you just need tables and chairs to accomodate the card players I suppose..
TechnoDawg, I'm at work atm til 3, so i'll be leaving sometime after that, probably be there at 8-9

Pete278

Smash Lord
Oh man, my level 1 judges card expired like a year and a half ago, but I suppose I could apply for it again. The problem with Magic is we'd need it to be sanctioned, since barely anyone really wants to go to unsanctioned events, and none of us are judges or TOs as recognized by the DCI. Plus, the only TO/Judge I was ever in contact with was Scott Paisley, and he only runs the top tier events.

But that's also the easiest rules problem you could've ever brought up, Brad. :p If Bolt was played first, then GG, Vine lives. If GG was played first, then Bolt, Vine dies. Not like Vengevine is ever dead for long, though.

EDIT: Oh, the other problem is, Magic tournaments larger than FNM are way bigger than our Brawl tournaments, and would take up more space than us. We'd have to bring a lot more tables than are supplied at the venue.

Braddles

Smash Apprentice
Vengevine is unstoppable @_@ But I know what you mean, if we go into sanctioned then we have to stress about the rest of the jargin.. But I'm sure the casual players wouldn't mind easy going multiplayer games etc If so, it makes everything easier.. Mightydice, the shop in beechborough has a lot of newer players, and most of them are just looking to play regardless of the format, not standard etc.. But I'll have a look into it and see the kind of interest in conjures.. Most ppl are just interested in trading.

Making a R/G eldrazi standard atm, proving inconsistent =S

Braddles

Smash Apprentice
Ahh demigod =3
Turn 1 : Swamp, Lion's Eye Diamond, Dark Ritual, 4 x Demigod, Yawgmoth's Will, WIN

You'd have to be pretty lucky...

Pete278

Smash Lord
Vengevine is unstoppable @_@ But I know what you mean, if we go into sanctioned then we have to stress about the rest of the jargin.. But I'm sure the casual players wouldn't mind easy going multiplayer games etc If so, it makes everything easier.. Mightydice, the shop in beechborough has a lot of newer players, and most of them are just looking to play regardless of the format, not standard etc.. But I'll have a look into it and see the kind of interest in conjures.. Most ppl are just interested in trading.

Making a R/G eldrazi standard atm, proving inconsistent =S
That wasn't really my point, since my card expired since I didn't go for a second test, not because my rules knowledge is waning. I'm still more than equipped to judge a small tournament.

EDIT: Also, there's way more stupid **** you could do with Yawgmoth's Will than that. It's the best card in the game for a reason yo. (Besides Contract from Below, etc.)

Braddles

Smash Apprentice
Like working up a storm for tendrils? Anyway, I'm not doubting your knowledge of the rules, but what I was implying was, could we get enough ppl playing casual there to cover the venue fee, or would we have to go into tournaments? I'm unfamiliar with tournament structure etc so i'd be no help there.. Thats why im going to see the kind of numbers we could expect from just a casual meet

swordsaint

Smash Master
Hahahahahaha.
Lol, melbourne tournaments never finish on time because everyone ****s off and doesnt do their matches >.> and the TO's wont be strict enough to punish it. If they're not doing matches, just threaten to DQ them. That will get them to straighten up.
Nova laugs because he ignored the part where I said "when everyone cooperates". The problem is more often than not, people don't or they don't get enoguh set ups to run it properly. Which isn't a problem to the schedule or how much they want to do.

MTGod

Smash Champion
Perth's pretty good for doing matches when asked; it's just at the start of the tournaments when people don't stop playing their goddamn friendlies when they're told to and the TO has to go around physically turning off the TVs :p

Really, if we decreased the venue fee to $5 all we'd need is 28 people to clear, and we already get around 14 for brawl. So if we can get 14+ people interested from the magic scene, we'd be set. How long do magic games usually last for on average? I'd be interested to dust off my old school decks and see how they fair XD Not altered since 2001 IIRC XD

(LOL I just got paid for this post XD)

@Brad: what days you working next week?

Braddles

Smash Apprentice
@Jesse I'm working wed-sat the week coming, and I'll be back from here (Geraldton) on tuesday, are you thinking of doing something? I'll let you know if anything changes, they may not need me for a full day at some stage :p

Techno, I've arrived, I might have an easy one tonight and then we'll get into it asap

MTGod

Smash Champion
XD is worse than :p, though.
Okay :p I understand :p

@Jesse I'm working wed-sat the week coming, and I'll be back from here (Geraldton) on tuesday, are you thinking of doing something? I'll let you know if anything changes, they may not need me for a full day at some stage :p
Yeah, was thinking about it - me and Nasty got Wed off, and Niall doesn't have work commitments :p

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Hahah wow Rick worked it out. Also Mic has wed off as well, gonna be harder to find what to do with 5 people though heh
Jesse should get Perfect Dark on his 360 and then we could LAN play.

Top Bottom