• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[WA] Perth Smash Thread

Muzga

Smash Ace
@shredding
Yeah its a singles tourny. If you see smasharoo, its probably singles!
Hehe, thats a potential tagline for my next one!

Nah if its doubles, youll know its doubles

Daterian

Smash Cadet
Dan will def be able to come Andre, we have our gigs starting on Monday, he is just a tarf for thinking otherwise :p. And as much as you guys complain about going from up North to way South, Sam and I are stuck in the middle, so we always have to drive for almost an hour >_>. In other words i have no sympathy :p.

Also, bob, im up for some WiFi singles, ill find out my friend code today and put it up on my info.

Muzga

Smash Ace
WOO! DAN!
yay!
still time for some more entries. if youre interested and havent definitely confirmed, saying you might come isnt good enough! if you want to come and can come, let me know!

This is looking to be a good tourny!!

Shifty McSly

Smash Cadet
If anyone's interested, Oran and I are hosting another melee night on Saturday october 11. As per usual, there will probably be some lanning going on afterwards, so bring a PC/lappy if you're up for that. Show up any time after 1pm, we have heaps of extra mattresses but I recommend bringing a sleeping bag if you want to stay the night. We'll provide snacks, and there's plenty of nearby fast food outlets, so bring some cash for dinner.

The address is 19a Jillian St, Riverton. If you're up for it, just let me know here or via MSN/email - ShiftyMcSly@hotmail.com

cheers!

Maoriz

Smash Rookie
wow ssbb tourney sounds cool. few questions.....
How much is the winner's prize? 80/20 split but how much have they won based on previous tourneys?
What time does it finish? would love to come but would have to leave at 4pm sharp.
At the start of the tourney is it random who your first opponent is or are u able to choose a spot? i'd just would hate to vs my bro at the start.

Daterian

Smash Cadet
Everyone puts in $5 so if we get 20 people (which is about average) then its an $80/$20 1st/2nd split. If you can knock sam off that top spot then the $80 is well deserved ^^. Finish time depends, finals normally happen around 3:30 or so i would say, depends on the day. If there are alot of 3 round matchs then finals may not start til 4. I wouldnt let that prevent you from coming along though.

As for the start, at the moment it is totally random, numbers go in a hat and you pull them out. If you talk to whoever is organising it (Andre on the 27th) then you might be able to work something out. Just keep in mind that many people have siblings/good mates playing as well, so it may be too complicated to keep people seperated.

Muzga

Smash Ace
The 80/20 split really varies depending on how many entries we get. previously the most weve had is the winner winning 100$ and second place taking 25$ usually things finish anywhere between 3.30 and 4.30, depending on how soon everyone gets here and how many tvs we have.
And yes. your opponent is random!
You draw numbers out of some object (it varies from hats to bags to this and that, i like to mix things up a little bit:p) and the number you draw puts you in a position on the bracket, so theres a chance you could play someon you know but its not a very high chance at all.

EDIT: you beat me to it!:( naww im sad)

Maoriz

Smash Rookie
thanks for the fast reply. do u guys drop people off to the warwick train station afterwards?
and we bring our own controllers right? i use gamecube controller, hope thats ok

Muzga

Smash Ace
yeah we give lifts from and back to the traino!
All we need is some way to identify you. but yeah, so should i add you to the list?

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
It looks as if I will be free this Saturday, so mark me down as coming.

Muzga

Smash Ace
oh my god! YAY MICS COMING!!!! <3<3<3<3<3
now all we need is 2 or 3 moar confirmations and well be set!
(mic ive added you to the list)

Maoriz and Vnzo have confirmed via PM.
Youve been added to the list!

Riot_ Fires

Smash Apprentice
Hey dudes jus throwing out at HIYA from my minesite.. hope to see you all at NIVS smash tourney when i get back and hope we see more people comin into this scene too..!

SPEWING i missed out on some wifis before i left i been pretty busy n **** so yeah.. :( BUT hope to get LOTS of gotgames matches in before i leave this time.. I think muzgas been challenging everyone under the sun heh.. SO ill catch up an play some matches against you 2 alex/sam (still cant remember which is which).. But for now.. WAR addiction.. >_>

BLAH..!

woops - also third place gets a chocolate of some kind which is an AWSOME idea thanks to muzga for incorporating that at your tourney..

Daterian

Smash Cadet
ooo chocolate. Generally people bring there own controllers, mainly cause they are used to it and have a personal attachment :p. And this time it is Alex bob, but you never know....maybe it will be sam next time ;)

Vlade

Social Outcast
hey muzga, great tourney, thanks for organising that!

Anyway so the next one's at N1v's, right? So who's gonna be getting public transport there?

Oh and when will the videos be up? It would be great to see them, cheers

Muzga

Smash Ace
Eric, samuel, richard (if he decides to come) and i usually go together on public transport

Edit: and good job today vlade. you counterpick effectively:p

kewl_niven

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for hosting again. ^_^ I can certainly feel that I have improved since the last tournament. It surprises me since I don't really play at all outside of tournies. >_>

I'll be hosting a Melee singles, Brawl singles & doubles tournament on the 11th Oct. I'm not interested in who can make it yet. I'll post details about it later tonight or tomorrow. (most likely copy/pasta of Muzga's format with editing)

I'll say this now though... I will need at least 2 Wiis, 2 copies of SSBB, 2 copies of SSBM and 1 GCN memory card.

I just thought I would put that out early so I can be sure we have enough time to run the tournament. =)

Vlade

Social Outcast
If I end up coming I can bring a copy of a PAL SSBM (my GCN memory card doesn't have the save lol), unfortunately I only have the japanese version of brawl and I won't be able to bring my wii.

Anyone interested in being my doubles partner?

kewl_niven

Smash Journeyman
Smash Down South

*** Saturday October 11th ***
*** 4 Leeton Close - Halls Head ***

Entrance:
$5 to enter in to each tournament (Melee and Brawl singles), $10 for teams ($5 each) if you don’t want to enter you are still welcome to come down and watch/play some non tournament matches.

FOR SIGNUPS PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHICH TOURNAMENTS YOU WILL BE ENTERING, NOT JUST IF YOU CAN ATTEND.

Signup:
In order to register, please contact me (Matt) on 0433 402 448 or let me know in this forum or via PM, once I have received confirmation of your entry I will add you to the list. Please try to let me know as soon as possible, it can be quite difficult to organize brackets with odd numbers – especially when I’m unsure of the final amount of people turning up.

Start time:
12 noon – it is recommended that you arrive at least half an hour early though, so we are able to begin on schedule, I will be there from 9:00 am setting up. if anyone wants to come and help, come early to bring recording gear or play a few friendlies before the tourny starts, its your call. all help is appreciated!

All prizes:
80/20 1st + 2nd place

Melee Singles Rules:
General:
- Bring your own controller, or ensure someone is bringing one for you. Tournament staff are not resposible for providing extra controllers.
- Good behaviour is expected; if tournament staff deems that you are causing trouble in this fashion, you will be kicked out of the tournament without refund.
- Controllers: see MLG rules (no modifications aside from cosmetic changes, no programmed buttons)
- No pausing during a match.
- No infinite stall/freeze glitches (ie: Peach's Wallbombing, Jigglypuff's rising pound, Ice Climber freeze glitch, etc). If you use these in a match, you forfeit that match. If one of these tactics is used on you for the purpose of stalling the match, pause the game and call for tournament staff.
- Once a match has been announced, it must be started within 5 minutes. If one or more of the participants does not show up within the 5 minutes, they forfeit the match.
- Prizes: 80/20 1st/2nd
- No friendlies will be allowed during any part of the tournament, unless staff relax the rules. Players caught playing friendlies during busy tournament sessions will be warned. It would be more appropriate to friendly people outside the tournament date.
- Money Matches are allowed to take place where possible.
- Spectators are welcome.

Match rules:
- All matches are 4 stock, 8 minute time limit
- Dave's Modified Stupid Rule: No stage may be used twice in a single set if the player choosing already won on that stage
- Stage Knock-out: Each player (or team, in teams) may choose to eliminate one of the legal stages (neutral OR counterpick) to be chosen at the beginning of the set.
- Advanced Slob Picks: Loser may choose the next stage or elect to go random, then winner may choose to change characters, then loser may change characters
- Double blind pick may be called at any time (the only time this is useful is, before players choose their first initial character, before the first game starts).

- Neutral stages:

Fountain of Dreams
Dream Land 64
Battlefield
Yoshi's Story
Final Destination
Pokemon Stadium

- Counterpick stages: Any neutral stage, plus

Rainbow Cruise
Green Greens
Corneria, Brinstar
Mute City
Poke Floats
Donkey Kong 64
- Any other stage is BANNED

Brawl Doubles Rules:

Each match will be 3 stock 8 minute time limit.

Items are off.

Team attack is on.

Life Stealing is allowed.

All stalling - including the MK infinite cape glitch - is banned.

Stalling: The act of deliberately avoiding any and all conflict so that one may make the game unplayable. Running away from an opponent to reach a better position is not stalling, while doing an infinite grab endlessly against a wall is. Any infinite chain grabs must end quickly after 300% has been reached so as to prevent excessive stalling. (citation from the SBR recommended rule list)

Controller Port Placement:
Controller ports will be determined in a 1221 fashion, if a debate arises over who takes what port, it shall be settled by rock paper scissors.

Each set will be decided through a best of 3 series of games with the Advanced Slobs counter-picking system. The format of this system is as follows:

For the first game of the set, both teams announce their characters that they will be using – this can be done without the other team knowing (optional).
The map is decided in one of two ways, if both teams are able to agree on a starter map then that one will be played, if the players are unable to agree on a map then it shall be decided through the game’s random function, which only contains maps on the starter list.

For the second and third game, the format is a bit different. The loser of the previous game first picks the map that will be played, this can be from the starter or counter-pick list. Once the map has been selected the winner of the previous game chooses their character, the loser – who has chosen the map – chooses their character last.

The Starter and Counter-pick stage list is as follows:

Starter Stages
Battlefield
Final Destination
Yoshi's Island
Lylat Cruise
Smashville
Delfino Plaza

Counterpick Stages
Rainbow Ride
Pokemon Stadium (Melee)
Luigis Mansion
Great Sea
Norfair
Frigate Orpheon
Yoshi's Island (Melee)
Jungle Japes
Battleship Halberd
Brinstar
Pokemon Stadium 2
Distant Planet
Pictochat
Mario Circuit
Onett
Green Greens
Green Hill Zone
Bridge of Eldin
Corneria
Hanenbow

BANNED
All other stages

Brawl Singles Rules:
Each match will be 3 stock 7 minute time limit. Items are off.

Each set will be decided through a best of 3 series of games with the Advanced Slobs counter-picking system. The format of this system is as follows:

For the first game of the set, both players announce their character that they will be using without the other player knowing (optional).
The map is decided in one of two ways, if both players are able to agree on a neutral map then that one will be played, if the players are unable to agree on a map then it shall be decided through the game’s random function, which only contains maps on the neutral list.

For the second and third game, the format is a bit different. The loser of the previous game first picks the map that will be played, this can be from the neutral or counter-pick list. Once the map has been selected the winner of the previous game chooses their character, the loser – who has chosen the map – chooses their character last.

The Neutral and Counter-pick stage list is as follows:

Neutral Stages:
Battlefield
Final Destination
Yoshi's Island
Lylat Cruise
Smashville

Counterpick Stages
Pokemon Stadium (Melee)
Luigis Mansion
Great Sea
Norfair
Frigate Orpheon
Yoshi's Island (Melee)
Jungle Japes
Battleship Halberd
Rainbow Ride
Brinstar
Pokemon Stadium 2
Distant Planet(D)
Pictochat
Green Greens
Delfino Plaza (D)
Mario Circuit (D)
Onett (D)
Green Greens (D)
Green Hill Zone (D)
Bridge of Eldin (D)
Corneria (D)
Hanenbow (N)

BANNED
All other stages

*(D) signifies the stage is not selectable if someone is using Dedede, unless both players agree.
*(N) signifies the stage is awesome and can be counterpicked by anyone ^_^

*In the event of a dispute, controller ports will be selected by Rock-Paper-Scissors

*No player may choose a stage they have already won on in that set unless agreed upon by both players

*No player may choose a stage they have already won on in that set unless agreed upon by both players

* Metaknight's Infinite Cape glitch is banned.

* If a game ends with Bowser doing his suicide klaw and it ends in sudden death, the sudden death will be ignored and that game will count as a win for Bowser.

* You are responsible for your own controller and name tag. Any malfunctions or errors that occur are your responsibility, so bring an extra controller if possible and always check to make sure you're using the correct settings BEFORE a match is played. If a match is to be restarted due to controller functions, it must be agreed upon by both parties.

* Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (i.e., freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in a forfeit of that match for the player that initiated the action. You are responsible for knowing your own character, and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.

* Stalling is banned.

Stalling: The act of deliberately avoiding any and all conflict so that one may make the game unplayable. Running away from an opponent to reach a better position is not stalling, while doing an infinite grab endlessly against a wall is. Any infinite chain grabs most end quickly after 300% has been reached so as to prevent excessive stalling.

Transportation:

If you are taking the train I can organise pickups if you call my mobile (0433 402 448). It would be much easier if people arrived around the same time.

Equipment:

I will have 5 TVs running for this tournament. I am asking for people to bring Wiis, Brawl discs, Melee discs and GC memory cards. (with everything unlocked of course)

Checklist:

6 TVs
1 Wii
1 Brawl Disc
4 Gamecubes
3 Melee Discs
2 Memory cards

FOR SIGNUPS PLEASE LET ME KNOW WHICH TOURNAMENTS YOU WILL BE ENTERING, NOT JUST IF YOU CAN ATTEND.

Melee entrants:

Niven
Bringer
Mic
Muzga
Shifty McSly
Oran
Corpse
Ichigo
Glenn

Brawl doubles entrants:

Niven + Mic (Team Pictoplankton)
Corpse + Richard (Team Godot)
Vlade + Confound
Ichigo + Glenn
Maoriz + Jeza

Partner-less:

Muzga + (?)
Bob + (?)
Matt + (?Michael?)

Brawl singles entrants:

Niven
Mic
Vlade
Corpse
Confound
Richard
Bob
Ichigo
Glenn
Matt
Muzga
Maoriz

Vlade

Social Outcast
Sign me up for brawl singles and doubles, although I don't have a partner yet (anyone?).

I'll edit this post if I change my mind and end up deciding to enter the melee singles.

I'll be needing a pickup by the way, I'll contact you by mobile closer to the date.

+ PAL melee disc and quite possibly a gamecube if u need it

Muzga

Smash Ace
count me in for the melee singles, brawl doubles and brawl singles/ i dunno if eric will be coming but i hope i can team with him again! (that means sign me up! NOW!)

EDIT: (sorry about that) i can bring a cube+gamecube memory card/ melee/brawl

Im gonna hold another tourny 3 weeks after nivens so bob can come if he wants! (YAY BOB!!!)
As usual, official post comes later

Muzga

Smash Ace
please delete this post. meant to edit but accidentally made a new post.

MicEdit: Noooo!

EDIT2: Actually, I'll just use this to post since I'm lazy. thanks for hosting Muzga, brilliant tourney, though methinks I need to get in some more practice. Friggin Wolf, haven't vs'd one for ages :(

Niv, I'll be free for Team Electroplankton XD

EDIT3: Its andre now! oh my god, mic took over my brain!
Mic, you left your wavebird controller port thing at my place! at least i think its yours! did anyone else use a wavebird??
EDIT4-ZOMG-ANOTHER-ONE!: since we havent heard from cal in a while, im willing to take over oploading the tournament videos to youtube, and maybe do a little encoding as well. what would i need to encode vids?

EDIT5!!!!!!! okay seriously, i dont want to double post again. someone else post here.
Does anyone know of any halls or buildings that we could rent out for a day and have a more "official" sort of tournament? i know we have a large amount of people who "could come" but do you guys think thered be enough interest for something a bit larger then the usual tournaments we have?

Do you think that an "official" WA tournament would draw people in or push people away? (im willing to reserve and pay for a venue)
I'm thinking along the lines odf something on a similar scale to the tournaments held in the east.
If i could organise something like that do you think we could get enough people to come to make it worthwhile?

Marteh

Smash Lord
NNID
Marteh
I think an official tournament would be a good idea, though if you're going to I think we need to consider.
1) Location
2) Time, Saturday's are hard for some people to make due to work, maybe arrange for a holiday break
3) Advertising, if you're going up for it I'm more than happy to advertise the event.

Still I reckon an official tournament would kick *** and if you're going to arrange one I'll defiantly show, I also reckon that it would be able to obtain more people, just not sure on amounts, I remember the Nintendo one gained around 120 people, and that was actually pretty sad. It also might be an idea to try and include a different popular game there to gain more people.

Vlade

Social Outcast
Yeh I like the idea of an official tournament, but like marteh said it would have to be a suitable location that most people would be able to access. Definitely there should be enough interest, but I'm not sure about what I call 'competitive' interest (playing brawl seriously, but having fun at the same time of course :))

We should at least be sure that there would be enough people so that it is possible for a tournament to be able to be held (about 20 or so, or however many people currently show up to the usual tournies we have), but the expectation is if we advertise enough there might be 50+ people for a good turnout.

@ muzga: it would be absolutely awesome if we could get the videos up, but don't they all need to be on Cal's youtube account? Otherwise I'm more than happy to do some encoding etc, since I'm on school holidays at the moment., with tonnes of free time on my hands. Just need some instructions then I'll be fine.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Mic, you left your wavebird controller port thing at my place! at least i think its yours! did anyone else use a wavebird??
****, yeah, just checked and I'm missing it. : (

EDIT5!!!!!!! okay seriously, i dont want to double post again. someone else post here.
Does anyone know of any halls or buildings that we could rent out for a day and have a more "official" sort of tournament? i know we have a large amount of people who "could come" but do you guys think thered be enough interest for something a bit larger then the usual tournaments we have?

Do you think that an "official" WA tournament would draw people in or push people away? (im willing to reserve and pay for a venue)
I'm thinking along the lines odf something on a similar scale to the tournaments held in the east.
If i could organise something like that do you think we could get enough people to come to make it worthwhile?
Something like this would be great, but I think we might need to up it a notch. If we want to look at booking a venue and so forth, I think it would be a seriously good idea to get in contact with something like Game Traders, specifically the one in the city, since they hosted a Brawl tournament before that had a big turnout (64 people) and when I asked said they were concidering a future tournament and hosting a venue. Best thing to happen would be Game Traders helps hire the venue and maybe even bring a prize and of course, most importantly advertise. the worst would be they just let us advertise. (Well actually worst would be they don't do anything, but I doubt that'd happen.)

Maybe if we do up a letter of proposal or something?

Top Bottom