• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Violence is on sale today - Anna for DLC! * Waiting for new stock! Bear with us here! *

Hong

The Strongest
What is even going on here? o.o

Yeah, Lucina is a more popular character. That doesn't matter. They are still both popular characters; it's not a matter of being more or less popular, so long as you are popular. And even then that doesn't matter going to Smash Bros... or else a fair number of characters would never see the light of day. I would say both are equally iconic. While Anna is a trademark of the series, Lucina is representative of a whole new age, and dawns attire in tribute to the greatest hero of the seven realms. They both have adequate value associated with them; why are we comparing them? They are iconic and can represent their homeland.

As far as I can tell, it is not really a competitive thing in this circumstance, like Ike VS Chrom, where you need to weigh the worth of implementing a character that can make a successive character more difficult to distinguish. Anna being added to the game is not just adding a Fire Emblem character. Anna, as I presented in my moveset, is judged on her own grounds. Her abilities, potential fighting style and appearance has a strong contrast with the existing cast. She is unlike anything else. As far as being a Fire Emblem character, the ability to pull up goods from the entire series certainly carries the series banner with pride, yeah? I could easily make three movesets for Anna that have completely different goals. Believe me; struggled to decide which moves I wanted to fit.

Lucina is a whole different matter entirely. What she does, eight other lords can do. As such, Lucina is chosen on completely different merit. The significant turnaround of the series that came in her wake, her popularity with both fans and her creators, her iconic attire. We pick the character, not just the fighter. With Lucina, you could very well start to develop, let's say, Seliph, and later in a month change your mind without having to lose much work. In any event, the two would be added for completely different reasoning. As far as development time is concerned, that would only work against Lucina. It is harder to plan and design Lucina as a fresh character than it is Anna. She is much more similar to Marth, Ike and Roy than Anna would be.

I am one of the most fierce feminists I know, and I have no idea what Nado is going on about. Anna is completely acceptable, especially if they add her Awakening appearance as an alternate outfit. It doesn't matter how long she has been fighting. All that matter is that she has proven her mettle in combat on her own terms. Having to be rescued because you are surrounded by bandits from all sides is entirely different from being rescued from like one guy, like Bowser or Ganny. Anna has the strength, sass and will-power to take on anyone. Hell, I think just about every lord has had their arse saved at some point during the journey, yeah? It's a recurring theme with Fire Emblem and war stories in general.

Don't get me wrong. I would LOVE to see Lucina in the game. My top pick for SSB4, after Robin who is followed by Chrom, Anna and Tiki at a distant 5th. She is indeed a strong female character, but I think focusing too much attention on the gender is a bit silly. It almost makes me a bit uncomfortable, really. It is one thing if the character is Peach or Zelda, useless blonde bimbos in a pink ****ing dress. But Anna? I could see her rescuing them, especially if they owe her money.

Trust me I hate the female character designs over at Nintendo (have you seen Wonder Pink?), but for the most part, Intelligent Systems has been good with Fire Emblem. Okay I don't like how they scarcely give women pants (Asian games in general), and FE13 has some eye sores, but other than that, they check out with me. Anna is an alright representative of her gender, from the eyes of this feminist. Again, isolating the female gender this much is making me a bit uncomfortable. We're all the same ****ing animal. >.> I agree Smash Bros could use less testosterone, but if a good character is good and no one else can do their thing, take that character. Move on.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
Most of them are merchants that need to be defended haha. Which would kinda make anna a super damsel in distress as she would need to be rescued more in one game than any character ever. Also Lucina gets quite a bit of DLC appearance but in her dlc appearance spoiler spoiler she one hits kills grima spoiler spoiler. So even though Lucina gets one DLC chapters to Annas like 12 she is 50x more badass.

Haha I kinda already addressed this but Anna is basically a fighter in 1/12 games which would logically make her not a fighting unit. If we consider her a potential brawl candidate we probably would focus on the merchant aspect for smash moves and use swords for her basic attacks. This fact that the merchants need protecting is kinda my whole argument. She isn't technically a hero who runs in and saves the world. She is more of a tom nook which means she does good things just not fighting things. Thats good and all being a shopkeeper has its merits but I think that the fact that Brawl only had one heroine out of its 5ish female characters. And the other 4 were mixtures of support/sidelines and damsels in distress. On the other hand all the male characters were either villains(lets not get super technical) or heroes. So if we are to add more characters that are female it would probably be best to add a female heroine rather than a female support character. Otherwise the roster would make one believe that all Nitendo females are support characters and damsels needing assistance and all guy characters are the heroes.
Haha! You seem to forget about the existence of the Villager, or Wii Fit Trainer, both of which did ZERO OUT OF X fighting in their games. Yeah, some logic. Woah woah woah, you just said that if she was a potential Brawl candidate we would focus on swords. You do know that the merchant class's primary weapon is a spear, right? That would mean, logically, that she would use spear and polearm basic attacks. You also says Lucina does some badass stuff in her DLC, well duh, but so does Anna, being the spoiler spoiler hardest darn unit in the whole game with craptons of legendary weapons and OP skills spoiler spoiler. Yeah, certainly leagues of badassery there, not that that matters to Smash or Sakurai. I would implore you not to forget one thing about Anna, whatever you say about her role, she has no specific role in her games, primarily because she is not one person. Anna as we talk about her, is all Annas, don't forget her status as the RNG goddess or the coolio trickster, or the awesome OP spoiler, boss. I also do not like your arbitrary claim of heroine to support character ratio argument, Smash is not about story, it is about gameplay, Sakurai's main criteria is uniqueness, and if he can see a character/moveset in that character.

Listen, I know you have your personal preference, and want more 'badass heroins', but Anna can, because she's not just a merchant, fill that role in Smash. Anna can be a badass, and is, her playful nature more than speaks for that. I'd rather go off personality traits than roles to play, because if it is about outward appearance, she can certainly appear to be a heroin. Again, the strict status of hero vs villain vs support vs female, this has been in question for some time, and there are certainly quite a few characters that shatter this supposed 'status quo', Fire Emblem being an odd case in itself only featuring heroes as it were. But who's to say that can't change as it has for so many other series? Pokémon reps don't even have anything to do with this for pete's sake, and the appearance of ROB and G&W show plenty that Sakurai can make an emotional character out of anything.

Edit: Good post, Hong. But I'm going to think of myself as a massive troll for a moment and point something out: We are a sexually dimorphic species, as in we're not the same animal, not that that changes anything. Instead, how about saying something that can't be misinterpreted, like I just did, why not say species, and not animal? :3

Nado

Smash Cadet
Haha! You seem to forget about the existence of the Villager, or Wii Fit Trainer, both of which did ZERO OUT OF X fighting in their games. Yeah, some logic. Woah woah woah, you just said that if she was a potential Brawl candidate we would focus on swords. You do know that the merchant class's primary weapon is a spear, right? That would mean, logically, that she would use spear and polearm basic attacks. You also says Lucina does some badass stuff in her DLC, well duh, but so does Anna, being the spoiler spoiler hardest darn unit in the whole game with craptons of legendary weapons and OP skills spoiler spoiler. Yeah, certainly leagues of badassery there, not that that matters to Smash or Sakurai. I would implore you not to forget one thing about Anna, whatever you say about her role, she has no specific role in her games, primarily because she is not one person. Anna as we talk about her, is all Annas, don't forget her status as the RNG goddess or the coolio trickster, or the awesome OP spoiler, boss. I also do not like your arbitrary claim of heroine to support character ratio argument, Smash is not about story, it is about gameplay, Sakurai's main criteria is uniqueness, and if he can see a character/moveset in that character.

Listen, I know you have your personal preference, and want more 'badass heroins', but Anna can, because she's not just a merchant, fill that role in Smash. Anna can be a badass, and is, her playful nature more than speaks for that. I'd rather go off personality traits than roles to play, because if it is about outward appearance, she can certainly appear to be a heroin. Again, the strict status of hero vs villain vs support vs female, this has been in question for some time, and there are certainly quite a few characters that shatter this supposed 'status quo', Fire Emblem being an odd case in itself only featuring heroes as it were. But who's to say that can't change as it has for so many other series? Pokémon reps don't even have anything to do with this for pete's sake, and the appearance of ROB and G&W show plenty that Sakurai can make an emotional character out of anything.

Edit: Good post, Hong. But I'm going to think of myself as a massive troll for a moment and point something out: We are a sexually dimorphic species, as in we're not the same animal, not that that changes anything. Instead, how about saying something that can't be misinterpreted, like I just did, why not say species, and not animal? :3
Yes no one in those games fights so its not surprising that they aren't fighting characters. On the other hand fire emblem is a fighting game where literally everyone fights so to be represented by a non fighter. Anna could potentially represent all the games in the series but she'd not represent the actual gameplay. Fire emblem's gameplay that can be best described as a bunch of badass heroes band together to fight a bunch of evildoers with conflicted interests normally led by some type of dragon. Anna represents the merchant aspect of the game but literally if there is no shopkeeper just a menu asking you what you want to buy the game would still work the same. If we cut her cameo appearance in the prologue would the games story would be fine. She's not that important to her own series so unless she gets some sort of spin off where she is the main character I don't see why she would be in brawl.

Also this stupid argument that because she fought in 1/13 games and somehow she is now a fighting unit. She is a merchant. Her boyfriend has joined the army to protect her more times than she has fought in all of her games. Using that same logic I can say anna is a third party character because she appeared on playstation in 1/13 games. And I rather have another third party character than anna.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Using that same logic I can say anna is a third party character because she appeared on playstation in 1/13 games. And I rather have another third party character than anna.

Nado.... Please.... Just stop while you still can....

Hong

The Strongest
After Frostwraith shows up, I would like to ask for some changes to the opening post as well as make some changes to my moveset for submission.

For those that have already read it, don't need to read it again. :) Will just be taking out weapons that refer to specific characters.
>.>; I edited my post three times last night to change the wording to prevent trolling.

Still foiled. Damn you, Internet.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
Listen, I know you have your personal preference, and want more 'badass heroins', but Anna can, because she's not just a merchant, fill that role in Smash.
I don't want any heroin in smash. It's a family game.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
Yes no one in those games fights so its not surprising that they aren't fighting characters. On the other hand fire emblem is a fighting game where literally everyone fights so to be represented by a non fighter. Anna could potentially represent all the games in the series but she'd not represent the actual gameplay. Fire emblem's gameplay that can be best described as a bunch of badass heroes band together to fight a bunch of evildoers with conflicted interests normally led by some type of dragon. Anna represents the merchant aspect of the game but literally if there is no shopkeeper just a menu asking you what you want to buy the game would still work the same. If we cut her cameo appearance in the prologue would the games story would be fine. She's not that important to her own series so unless she gets some sort of spin off where she is the main character I don't see why she would be in brawl.

Also this stupid argument that because she fought in 1/13 games and somehow she is now a fighting unit. She is a merchant. Her boyfriend has joined the army to protect her more times than she has fought in all of her games. Using that same logic I can say anna is a third party character because she appeared on playstation in 1/13 games. And I rather have another third party character than anna.
The argument is not 'she's fought in 1/13 games so now she can fight' wasn't even an argument at all, where did you get that?
Sakurai does not care about that, and you are a curious one to suggest that someone from a fighting game who doesn't fight often can't be in another fighting game as a fighter.
All that matters is potentiality, she can represent the whole series and it's mechanics, and do it far better than any other candidate because of her ubiquitous qualities, you think Chrom is going to pull out Innes' bow? No, he's not. You think Chrom is going to use a lance? No, that would be a huge leap. You think Avatar would use the Levin Sword? No, doubtful. Can any of the prime spot candidates do anything better than Anna? No, they can't. Anna blows them out of the water in that way, and I'm telling you that Sakurai's number one criteria is what the character can offer.
Clearly, she is part of the core of what composes Fire Emblem. I know your preferences are far different from mine, I do not hold the same vision of what Fire Emblem representation should be.
But which is more noble, wanting to get as much cool Fire Emblem-y things in as possible, or adhering to a strict discipline of "ONLY WHO I THINK IS WORTHY AND NONE OTHER"? Those are some arbitrary implications you have with 'because she doesn't fight in most of the games she can't', and I cannot abide by such despicable taste. These complaints you bring are so small in scale and so focused upon your values, that they are worthless to who is more deserving.
Who am I to tell you you're wrong? I am no one, but I know Sakurai better, apparently.
And once again, her dispensability is no argument, the simple fact that IS has chosen to keep her immobile, while other positions are shuffled to different people constantly, shows that her 'cameo appearance' will never be cut.

loganhogan

Smash Ace
There's also nothing wrong with her not fighting in 12/13 of the games, although she is depicted to fend for herself, plenty of other characters from different series are not fighters either. Fire Emblem also confirms that Anna is indeed a fighter and implies her to be one throughout the series. In Awakening as a merchant npc they wield lances when in battles. It's likely that she's educated in battle enough to travel between worlds and keep herself safe in the middle of a war to get to all the secret shops and such.

In Path of Radiance it's further implied that she's well educated in battle. She's portrayed under a fighting pegasus knight class and not a civilian and she knows a lot about war hence why she's in charge of the tutorials in Path of Radiance and it's sequel. Finally in Awakening she's a selectable fighter.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
If I recall correctly, Anna being playable in Awakening was a big thing in Japan.

She's also the true boss of the insane DLC map Apotheosis and holy hell isn't she overpowered! Anna is the hardest boss of the entire FE series.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
I'd like to see in one victory theme, where she says, "This is for you Jake!"
Too meta, I fear at some point, most arbitrarily in my own mind, there will be reference from the original series we will not be able to pull. That's my only fear with Anna, that there will be some vast unknown in Sakurai or Intelligent Systems, and any executive meeting they may have, that denies Anna entry. An irrational fear, I know, but where should we draw the line at reference to cameo to function to character? I hope there is none. That line, though, while a neat reference, would serve no purpose in Smash.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
I had a revelation on the Roster Prediction Thread. We've been looking at this wrong way Anna fans. Anna's competition isn't Chrom. Or Lucina. Or Robin. It's Tom Nook, who is clearly the superior capitalist!

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
Psh, what do you mean, it's how capitalism works? Ever heard of competition? Yeah, well, if someone starts selling at exorbitant rates, a competitor will, invariably and inevitably, come along and undercut their opponent, thus reaping incredible benefit due to a massive influx of customers, business will shift easily for the time being, and the one with high prices must come down or lose their business. Monopoly is not natural to a free market, monopolies are usually imposed through government policy. Intellectual Property is a good example of a time-set monopoly.

Besides, we're all monopolists, each particular human offers a service that is wholly unique, like none other. Are we not, when choosing between jobs, weighing which job will give us more for less of our particular service or production? By the statists' philosophy, we should then regulate all peoples that they may not choose who their employers are, I mean, after all, those poor employers are being forced to pander to potential employees to gain their favor, how is that fair?
We have two solutions which are not inconsistent with the proper ideologies, either no so-called 'monopoly' for everyone, or allow so-called 'monopoly' for everyone.

Man, if only life was a video game and people had static wants, and supplies were completely static things, and people didn't have values, then maybe economic calculation in the socialist commonwealth would succeed. But then we have to contend with the morality of evil means to get a 'noble' end. I am of the firm belief that if the means are evil, then the end, no matter how idealized and no matter how many lives it saves, is evil as well. Stripping freedom from man--here the freedom of forming mutual agreements between people for contracts and the like--is as evil as it gets. But I must recognize, as Anna is a good example for, that the market is an amoral servant, and can fail sometimes and be the servant of evil, but it's still far better than the proposed and impossible utopia of the statists. Unfortunately in that sense, freedom and equality are mutually exclusive. But I can promise something the Utopian statists can't, a better world, while they promise a perfect world.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
Anna clearly welcomes for competition (as she does not mind work specifically as a specialty shop in Awakening), but Tom Nook clearly has a monopoly in Animal Crossing. He forces people to incur debt and then pay it off over the course of years. Getting people (who are unemployed when he meets them) and forces them into ridiculous contracts where they have no choice but to buy a house. He also employs his nephews, who are clearly underage. Tom Nook just doesn't play fair. Why is there only one town item shop even though the town is clearly expanding? I see no monopolies imposed by the government in Animal Crossing. Only one man, no, one Tanuki, who takes advantage of the town to make himself rich. I have no doubt he will try every underhanded trick in the book to run Anna out of business.

Admittedly, I haven't played through the new one yet.

loganhogan

Smash Ace
There's no doubt that Tom Nook plays dirty, but how many people do you think he's angered? Anna sells weapons and sometimes she makes good deals on them. If she sells a nice weapon to someone who is tired of Tom Nook, then it's game over for Tom Nook. Tom Nook should be very afraid of Anna.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
If so, then he's actually doing a good thing, because no one else is coming into town to compete against him, that must mean he is actually quite fair in his prices compared to the other merchants in the AC world. Also, why give adults an unfair advantage over the underaged? Should not they too be able to prove their maturity by showing the mental capacity to enter a mutual agreement between parties? Granted, parental fiat may apply. In the free market there's no such thing as 'forcing' people into contracts, everything is based on mutual agreement. That being said, I have no idea the policy of the state in which the AC animals live in.
And I have no doubts that Anna is the more honest salesman~ but did you see what that one Anna did to Tiki? Hehe, she got served in the end but still kept some money.
On that note, I bet Anna competes against Anna quite often, actually, perhaps as a familial tradition, they keep eachother in check along with the baldstache blacksmith guy.
I'm sure they both use double entry bookkeeping though, probably one of the greatest inventions in the history of mankind.
Er, anyways, about underhandedness. Historically, if your business is not founded on principles of integrity and honesty, and other good wholesome character traits, in the real world and in the long term it will fail and those deserving will be labeled untrustworthy, in a 'free market'.
All good points, sir, but one thing is overriding; Imposition through the fiat of the programmer is comparable to governmental policy :3

GuyWithTheFace

Harbinger of smut and drag queens
NNID
GuyWithTheFace23
3DS FC
5413-0018-1146
I seriously doubt the Animal Crossing world is a free market. Nook runs that **** with an iron fist. He's either a dictator, or he has powerful friends. Though by New Leaf he seems to have at least relinquished some of his power to a faux-democratic government. Keep in mind you have no choice on whether or not to become mayor.

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
If so, then he's actually doing a good thing, because no one else is coming into town to compete against him, that must mean he is actually quite fair in his prices compared to the other merchants in the AC world. Also, why give adults an unfair advantage over the underaged? Should not they too be able to prove their maturity by showing the mental capacity to enter a mutual agreement between parties? Granted, parental fiat may apply. In the free market there's no such thing as 'forcing' people into contracts, everything is based on mutual agreement. That being said, I have no idea the policy of the state in which the AC animals live in.
And I have no doubts that Anna is the more honest salesman~ but did you see what that one Anna did to Tiki? Hehe, she got served in the end but still kept some money.
On that note, I bet Anna competes against Anna quite often, actually, perhaps as a familial tradition, they keep eachother in check along with the baldstache blacksmith guy.
I'm sure they both use double entry bookkeeping though, probably one of the greatest inventions in the history of mankind.
Er, anyways, about underhandedness. Historically, if your business is not founded on principles of integrity and honesty, and other good wholesome character traits, in the real world and in the long term it will fail and those deserving will be labeled untrustworthy, in a 'free market'.
Assumption being that it is possible within the town's structure. How are buildings created through the Animal Crossing? Well, we have to go through a real estate company, right? What's the name of the real estate company with Animal Crossing? Nook Homes. What a wonderful coincidence! I bet he will be as fair to incoming shops as it is to the main protagonist.

Given what we know about the Nook nephews, it appears the closest thing they have to a legal guardian is, Tom Nook, yet again. Not to mention the legal age of working exists because maturity is not standard by which one is enabled to work. Child labor laws exist to prevent the exploitation of children.Because instead of working, the children should be going to school the gain both knowledge and maturity.

Setting aside the main protagonists option include yes, and maybe, then yes, the real estate options within AC provide only one type of home. I cannot live in a tent for it is only a temporary home according to Tom Nook. Tom Nook specifically creates the conditions where only one option is possible, his option. Due to his owning of every respect of life within the town, individuals have little options to live. Yes, we do not know the the policy of the State within AC. But we do know the rules of operations that Tom Nook enforces.

if you look at the way Anna operates in Awakening, the Anna sisters appear to operate on regional basis. They never work in the same place to my knowledge, and probably operate under the same brand. They also are traveling merchants. Due to their nomadic activity, they do not reside in one town for long, and after making a minimum of certain amount of business transactions (1), they leave the town's normal item shop owner to continue there business.

I disagree with this notion that underhanded individuals eventually lose in the real world. It's gross under simplification that it is because their lack of integrity is what cause those organizations to fail, if I am understanding you correctly. To some extent, some of these business fail because there industry died out. But within the frame of lifetime they can be considered a success.

And would be important to remember the distinction between breaking the law and not playing fair. One is illegal, which cause organizations to fail, while the other comes more from to mutual agreed rules of engagement within a given economy. Which can change between economies. Given that would do not know the state of policy within either the FE world or the AC world (much less the AC world) in retrospect there might not be enough overlap within their respective economies to establish a fair and unfair. I think Tom Nook's control within his market suggests a more successful approach because he continually experiences growth, but Anna shops continually appear to have the same consistency in which they appear.

All good points, sir, but one thing is overriding; Imposition through the fiat of the programmer is comparable to governmental policy :3
I see what you did there. The difference being of course, that in democratically elected society the government is elected by the people. The programmer elect themselves creator, or rather the publisher does, which I guess in turn responds to market wants for a product.

I quick note on laissez-faire economics and the Austrian school of economics. Aside from it being a theoretical line thinking that lacks a real economic backbone to be proven, the empirical model to be proven, the main reason it does not work because simply everyone would have to operate under its rule. The government operates under the consent of the govern in order to be reelected or elected. Thus, the government is responding to citizens' concerns. Even if you limit the government's ability, the people will just elect new people who will do away with that idea as they can find an elected official to do so, and that will change the constitution or laws. Since we have gone into a mixed market economy, we can never go back due to expectations of the governed.

On another note, I really want to make another moveset of Anna's that uses second seals. Unfortunately, Anna's moveset does not allow her to use an axe to my knowledge, so I don't think it will be a weapon's triangle. It would be a rotation of her awakening reclassing options: trickster (for thief class), sage (for mage class), and sniper (for the archer class).

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
Assumption being that it is possible within the town's structure. How are buildings created through the Animal Crossing? Well, we have to go through a real estate company, right? What's the name of the real estate company with Animal Crossing? Nook Homes. What a wonderful coincidence! I bet he will be as fair to incoming shops as it is to the main protagonist.

Given what we know about the Nook nephews, it appears the closest thing they have to a legal guardian is, Tom Nook, yet again. Not to mention the legal age of working exists because maturity is not standard by which one is enabled to work. Child labor laws exist to prevent the exploitation of children.Because instead of working, the children should be going to school the gain both knowledge and maturity.

Setting aside the main protagonists option include yes, and maybe, then yes, the real estate options within AC provide only one type of home. I cannot live in a tent for it is only a temporary home according to Tom Nook. Tom Nook specifically creates the conditions where only one option is possible, his option. Due to his owning of every respect of life within the town, individuals have little options to live. Yes, we do not know the the policy of the State within AC. But we do know the rules of operations that Tom Nook enforces.

if you look at the way Anna operates in Awakening, the Anna sisters appear to operate on regional basis. They never work in the same place to my knowledge, and probably operate under the same brand. They also are traveling merchants. Due to their nomadic activity, they do not reside in one town for long, and after making a minimum of certain amount of business transactions (1), they leave the town's normal item shop owner to continue there business.

I disagree with this notion that underhanded individuals eventually lose in the real world. It's gross under simplification that it is because their lack of integrity is what cause those organizations to fail, if I am understanding you correctly. To some extent, some of these business fail because there industry died out. But within the frame of lifetime they can be considered a success.

And would be important to remember the distinction between breaking the law and not playing fair. One is illegal, which cause organizations to fail, while the other comes more from to mutual agreed rules of engagement within a given economy. Which can change between economies. Given that would do not know the state of policy within either the FE world or the AC world (much less the AC world) in retrospect there might not be enough overlap within their respective economies to establish a fair and unfair. I think Tom Nook's control within his market suggests a more successful approach because he continually experiences growth, but Anna shops continually appear to have the same consistency in which they appear.

I see what you did there. The difference being of course, that in democratically elected society the government is elected by the people. The programmer elect themselves creator, or rather the publisher does, which I guess in turn responds to market wants for a product.

I quick note on laissez-faire economics and the Austrian school of economics. Aside from it being a theoretical line thinking that lacks a real economic backbone to be proven, the empirical model to be proven, the main reason it does not work because simply everyone would have to operate under its rule. The government operates under the consent of the govern in order to be reelected or elected. Thus, the government is responding to citizens' concerns. Even if you limit the government's ability, the people will just elect new people who will do away with that idea as they can find an elected official to do so, and that will change the constitution or laws. Since we have gone into a mixed market economy, we can never go back due to expectations of the governed.

On another note, I really want to make another moveset of Anna's that uses second seals. Unfortunately, Anna's moveset does not allow her to use an axe to my knowledge, so I don't think it will be a weapon's triangle. It would be a rotation of her awakening reclassing options: trickster (for thief class), sage (for mage class), and sniper (for the archer class).
Indeed, Nook does have a monopoly, and does strong-arm every character into a permanent residence, most unfortunate, but I guarantee the mandate that all AC citizens have a permanent residence was lobbied for by Tom Nook, in that way he does play very unfair, and if he is not comparable to other shop owners throughout the world, he has also put into the legislature a guarantee that new-coming entrepreneurs cannot infringe on domains of old, 'respected' businesses and 'steal' his customers.

I, for one, think Tom Nook treats his nephews generously, indeed like many cultures across the globe he, while taking them under his roof, is employing them in a variety of chores as they gain an allowance. I am strongly opposed to the thought that formal schooling is the only method of education, for so long the son learned the trade of the journeyman or master or even father by working by his side at the forge or mill, for so long the culture had expected the youth to be accountable and able to work, able to be responsible at a younger age than our American culture does now. Childhood is actually a fairly recent idea, to think in the past that there is a time without responsibility is outrageous, as each child was simply being prepared and equipped for adulthood. Our arbitrary system of 'at age x you may do y' serves its purpose in many cases, but it is a flawed methodology, and I would prefer not to give unfair advantages to the adult job competition. It is also not to be forgotten that anyone under 18 in America can make any contract and then rescind it (barring some other legal language like getting simple food and shelter and the like), the minor is legally obligated to whatever compensation they gave the person of the majority when the contract was made, so all adults already have to be careful when doing anything with minors.

It could also be said that one, when playing an AC game, does not have full agency over their choices, that the player is bound to a set of constraint, that there is no second or third option where they do not have to trigger some event, or do not require a house, it is at the imposition of the designer that we play these games with an illusion of agency. Moreover, the player character, the villager, may have his own element of personality and morality, and would not consider resisting Tom Nook.

In Fire Emblem, we can infer that the most likely thing that happens when Anna comes to town is that the Tactician realizes the superior service and invariably goes to her over other smith guy, the element of agency is removed, but who in their right mind would want to go to the guy who lacks a few things and doesn't have things on sale?

I do not imply that organizations fail because they lack integrity, or as it is called, honesty, but you must acknowledge that trustworthiness is an element of integrity and honesty, which does, to a considerable degree, affect the opinions and inclinations of potential business partners and customers, and perhaps the most affected are employees. If an employer does not have the values necessary to keep trust among the employees, they will become complacent or even hostile towards their leadership, and have absolutely no sense of loyalty. The other character traits are just as imperative to a successful business or life, such as humility and courage. It is valuable in an individual, for individuals who lie more often or use dirty tactics will see the rest of their lives fall apart, though they may manage to keep something together. Sin and failure beget sin and failure unless it is not empowered by the individual. I say that those who have strength of character far more often succeed than those who are dishonest, and to this point I recommend that everyone read "The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People, Powerful Lessons in Personal Change" by Stephen R. Covey. Often, as counter, many businesses fail because the government had created a market imbalanced, also called a bubble, or more accurately a boom, which will inevitably lead to a bust.

Praxeological consideration of human action involves the culture and values of the society, as you say things change with "between economies". One potent example would be Africa in general. They have high levels of exports of goods of a higher order, that is, the more base materials such as copper and iron, and other basic things, they also have high levels of imports of goods of the lowest order from China, as such their retail and mining industry is large and powerful, but it lacks that significant trait of many of the more advanced parts of the world, namely the production facilities of goods of a middle and lower order. This is because no one saves up enough capital to create industries of such magnitude, it is most unfortunate, but it is the way of many of the nations and peoples of Africa to, simply, not save up money. Oh, but their cell phone service is amazing, almost 100% coverage with good reception, no jokes, and people often act as the middleman service with their personal towers, meanwhile we Americans are on an older, more inferior form of phone networking because our old infrastructure has not yet been replaced. It could easily be this way with the FE or AC worlds in some way or another, I'm sure.

I fail to see what you mean when you say 'backbone' and 'proven', I also don't see the relationship with the empirical model, and economics simply is, no one has to operate under its rule, it is the natural way of human action, no matter how 'restrained' it may be, it is a causal science. Unfortunately, many times, as is the case with our American Republic, greedy businessmen manipulate the law through lobbying and funding and the like to guarantee their control or power within the economy. I'm sure you know that 'the people' is not always such a noble and smart governance. People can be stupid, as may the villagers be when they submit to Tom Nook's will, and regardless of whether they know the truth or what they should do, or have knowledge of a better system, this does not mean they cannot fool or delude themselves, or simply choose the more evil option, modern psychology shows us that we often do things against what we 'know' is right or wrong, and often we find that people simply do not know. The government cannot be relied on to respond properly to the citizen's concerns, and the citizens cannot be relied on to always be concerned with the right things. At last, I offer hope, we can go back from a mixed market economy to actual capitalism, however impossible it may seem, which is why we must venture forth, we must inflame and enlighten the hearts and minds of man to reject their old expectations. It is only complacency that threatens, cowardice that prevails if good men do nothing.

Go for it, make a move(set), do your best!

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Wow... the lengths of all these good posts... are over 9000!

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
Wow... the lengths of all these good posts... are over 9000!
I see yer wish list there, welcome to the club! We're very inclusive, we just need more folks, and then none shall challenge our supreme power~

I've been wondering, is it appropriate to say Anna Master Race, because, she's, like, all her sisters and stuff? Bridging the gap between individual and group, I say individual when it's convenient, and group when it's convenient :)

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I see yer wish list there, welcome to the club! We're very inclusive, we just need more folks, and then none shall challenge our supreme power~

I've been wondering, is it appropriate to say Anna Master Race, because, she's, like, all her sisters and stuff? Bridging the gap between individual and group, I say individual when it's convenient, and group when it's convenient :)
Hmmm... I'd say that Anna and her Sisters would be a master race..... we'll have to see if she gets in Smash, THEN they will see...

EddyBearr

Smash Lord
I expect three FE characters.

1. Marth. Medium Speed. Obvious.
2. Ike. Slow, seems like he'd be more appealing than Chrom.
3. Anna.

Anna instead of Lucina, because Lucina is just a female Marth. Anna instead of Lyn, because Lyn's time is over.

And oh god, making profit <3

jaytalks

Smash Champion
NNID
jaytalks
New Anna sprite/fanart with a little more business sense to her:

Top Bottom