• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Violence is on sale today - Anna for DLC! * Waiting for new stock! Bear with us here! *

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Anna-Sells stuff, gives hints and for 90 percent of the games she's in doesn't fight. And the one game she is a fighter in needs to be saved (twice) in a very limited appearance. Most known for her
I'm sorry, but I'd like you to come back AFTER you've tried to start and run your own small business or store before you can come and dismiss what she does as "just selling." In many ways, what Anna does is actually more progressive, because she uses her wits and resourcefulness to be a succesful business woman instead of just being "OH HEY LOOK I'M A GIRL WHO CAN FIGHT 'N' STUFF."
Popularity wasn't the reason I was pointing at. It is just an additional reason although you jumped on it. The main reason is super smash bros is filled with girls who don't fight but instead are portrayed as ultra feminine. Why select another character who is literally the same thing as the other females in the game? Does Nitendo really want the perception that none of there female characters can fight?
Can you show me evidence that Sakurai or Nintendo gives a sh** about any of that?

Also, lol at Anna being "literally the same thing" as other females in the game.
I guess what Im saying is that Anna is probably the female character that brings the absolute least to super smash bros. Just because she has red hair doesn't mean she brings a unique personality.
I'd like you to go back and actually do some research on Anna before claiming she "doesn't have a unique personality." Have you even played Awakening, or any other FE for that matter?

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
So wait, if I get this straight Nado, the only reason you think Anna shouldn't be playable. Is because you feel that she's a pacifist?

God this is Professor Layton all over again. :facepalm:

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
So wait, if I get this straight Nado, the only reason you think Anna shouldn't be playable. Is because you feel that she's a pacifist?
No, he(?)'s saying that Anna doesn't deserve to be in the game because she's too girly. Because, you know, successfully running your own business is SOOOOOOOO girly. No, we can't have that, we need to give our girls someone to look up to and aspire to be like, and why would we want them to be successful entrepreneurs? :rolleyes:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
No, he(?)'s saying that Anna doesn't deserve to be in the game because she's too girly. Because, you know, successfully running your own business is SOOOOOOOO girly. No, we can't have that, we need to give our girls someone to look up to and aspire to be like, and why would we want them to be successful entrepreneurs? :rolleyes:
Oh gosh that's even worse. :facepalm:

Why do detractors always come up with such stupid reasons whenever they are detracting certain characters? He's too big, he's too cell shaded, she's too girly. Like Sakurai would even care.

Nado

Smash Cadet
I'm sorry, but I'd like you to come back AFTER you've tried to start and run your own small business or store before you can come and dismiss what she does as "just selling." In many ways, what Anna does is actually more progressive, because she uses her wits and resourcefulness to be a succesful business woman instead of just being "OH HEY LOOK I'M A GIRL WHO CAN FIGHT 'N' STUFF."

Can you show me evidence that Sakurai or Nintendo gives a sh** about any of that?

Also, lol at Anna being "literally the same thing" as other females in the game.

I'd like you to go back and actually do some research on Anna before claiming she "doesn't have a unique personality." Have you even played Awakening, or any other FE for that matter?
But why can't a girl fight and stuff? Its something super smash bros is missing entirely. The only girl who's fights and stuff is samus. Samus is badass but in a fighting game why is samus the only girl who can fight and stuff. Anna is mainly known as the save girl. Most of her personality in other games was saying something along the lines "Would you like to save the game" or "Welcome to my shop". As a reoccurring character I will have to say Awakening is an exception to her normal personality.

Go look up some Nitendo game advertisements that are recently being used. Pretty much all the game advertisements now use a 20-30 year old women who is portrayed as strong and independent. This is directly a result of Nitendo getting a ton of bad press for stereotyping.

I have played awakening as I have played all the other fire emblem games although it doesn't really matter to my argument whether I have played or not. She doesn't really have a unique personality as Aimee shows. She is typical merchant who is clever and tries to swindle you into buying weapons. Personality may not have been the right word a better phrase would have been her actions do not show anything unique.

loganhogan

Smash Ace
She isn't as bad as lets say Peach who is by far the most feminine character ever created. She is overall a smart female character who looks out for herself which isn't awful but the thing is she probably has one of the weakest roles in fire emblem. The thing that is irritating about the thought of Annas inclusion is the fact that Lucina, Robin(if the avatar is portrayed as a female), and even Tiki is that they are so badass. Lucina is basically the catalyst for awakening without her everyone dies. She also famously one hit kills grima in a most epic fashion. (look it up if you don't know what I'm talking about) Chrom is shown to be guided entirely by what Robin says which gives the opposite role that is normally given and Robin fights. Tiki turns into a freaking dragon. Lyn saves her whole country(forgot what they called her land). And the list goes on and on. Anna on the other hand for most of her games sells stuff and gives advice, its not even comparable to other fire emblem characters. Sure she is a braver than average merchant but why pick a merchant who is stronger than the average merchant when you can have a choice at tons of badass female characters...
Why is being feminine a bad thing exactly? Why aren't male characters frowned upon for being (more) masculine? Being feminine or not isn't a reason to frown at a character. You're suggesting that Anna is no different than the other females but the exact opposite is her case. She's a unique and intelligent business woman who isn't afraid to face anyone threatening her. A character can be strong but doesn't need to be the world's savior to be strong. What you're suggesting is we get a female hero who saves the world because she more badass than the intelligent business woman that can make profit out of terrible situations and live on. They're both strong characters but just because one of them isn't your typical world hero doesn't mean she's inferior to the other.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
But why can't a girl fight and stuff? Its something super smash bros is missing entirely.
:facepalm:

Yeah, this FIGHTING GAME totally doesn't have any girls fighting in it. Nope. not at all.

Oh, and Anna DOES fight in FE13. In case you forgot.
The only girl who's fights and stuff is samus. Samus is badass but in a fighting game why is samus the only girl who can fight and stuff. Anna is mainly known as the save girl. Most of her personality in other games was saying something along the lines "Would you like to save the game" or "Welcome to my shop". As a reoccurring character I will have to say Awakening is an exception to her normal personality.
Again, come back after running your own store or business and THEN you can tell me that running a business like she does is as easy as saying "welcome to my shop."
Go look up some Nitendo game advertisements that are recently being used. Pretty much all the game advertisements now use a 20-30 year old women who is portrayed as strong and independent. This is directly a result of Nitendo getting a ton of bad press for stereotyping.
Seems more like Nintendo appealing to a broad demographic. A demographic, by the way, that likely won't have much interest in Smash
I have played awakening as I have played all the other fire emblem games although it doesn't really matter to my argument whether I have played or not. She doesn't really have a unique personality as Aimee shows. She is typical merchant who is clever and tries to swindle you into buying weapons. Personality may not have been the right word a better phrase would have been her actions do not show anything unique.
To each their own, but Anna's personality certainly stands out to me more than say, Sully, whose personality is basically the same as the standard Red Cavalier with an added need to prove that she's just as good as all the boys.

Nado

Smash Cadet
Oh gosh that's even worse. :facepalm:

Why do detractors always come up with such stupid reasons whenever they are detracting certain characters? He's too big, he's too cell shaded, she's too girly. Can't we have some good valid arguments every once in a while? Please? D:
No she'd the second most independent female on the roster. Its just that none of the girls fight and anna is continuation of that. She isn't unique. She doesn't fight and she is a sideline character, which has importance but what the series needs is a character who is portrayed as equal to Link and Mario etc. I Think Professor Layton would be a great character as almost all the male characters use brawn before intelligence and almost all of them (villager excluded? Am I missing any) are in a totally fighting based game where they come out guns a blazing shooting, slashing and jumping on anything in their path.

On the other hand all the female characters are characters who are typically captured, and don't fight. So anna would just be another female character who doesn't fight.

Excluding maybe 2 male characters they are all typically fighting for the whole game. Out of the 4 female characters only one actually fights. So somehow even though their is 25 more male characters there is more female non fighters than male non fighters.

Shotguner159

Smash Apprentice
No she'd the second most independent female on the roster. Its just that none of the girls fight and anna is continuation of that. She doesn't fight
Err, Anna does fight. Playable Anna fights, Merchant Anna's can fight, the DLCs true final boss is Anna.

Nado

Smash Cadet
Why is being feminine a bad thing exactly? Why aren't male characters frowned upon for being (more) masculine? Being feminine or not isn't a reason to frown at a character. You're suggesting that Anna is no different than the other females but the exact opposite is her case. She's a unique and intelligent business woman who isn't afraid to face anyone threatening her. A character can be strong but doesn't need to be the world's savior to be strong. What you're suggesting is we get a female hero who saves the world because she more badass than the intelligent business woman that can make profit out of terrible situations and live on. They're both strong characters but just because one of them isn't your typical world hero doesn't mean she's inferior to the other.
I am suggesting that all the male characters are fighters and all the female characters are non fighters. I think more male characters should be from non fighting games (go animal crossing and professor layton etc) and more female characters should be fighting to show that gender does not matter at all. This would create a balance between the fighting with brawn and fighting with intelligence and would show that either guys or girls can fight. Zelda shows that time and time again. She leads her country and tries to keep it in peace using her intelligence. Peach I guess you could say does that but peach is also portrayed as an idiot. Anna isn't ever portrayed as the world savior either which is kinda my point. She is a sideline character who isn't important to the storyline but more important to make the game smoother and provide fan service.

Also shinpichu whats with the personal attacks bro. I work a part-time job so I know how hard it is to work with customers. Me not wanting anna does not give you a free pass to make assumptions about me. She is also a reoccurring character who's normal role isn't fighting.

loganhogan

Smash Ace
She isn't unique in what way exactly?

Smash Bros girls roster.
Zelda - damsel
Peach - damsel
Samus- hero
Nana- sidekick

Anna- merchant

That seems more unique to me than another fem. hero because it highlights a different and independent role but that's just me. Besides Anna is badass enough on her own, it takes much courage to defend a village all on your own. In Awakening she's not displayed as the helpless, the village she is defending is and she goes out of her way to defend it. I believe that she's unique enough because she has the ability to show up anywhere she likes in or out of battle. For Fire Emblem's roster she could add a different role than those we're used to getting, and that is unique too.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
No she'd the second most independent female on the roster. Its just that none of the girls fight and anna is continuation of that. She isn't unique. She doesn't fight and she is a sideline character, which has importance but what the series needs is a character who is portrayed as equal to Link and Mario etc. I Think Professor Layton would be a great character as almost all the male characters use brawn before intelligence and almost all of them (villager excluded? Am I missing any) are in a totally fighting based game where they come out guns a blazing shooting, slashing and jumping on anything in their path.

On the other hand all the female characters are characters who are typically captured, and don't fight. So anna would just be another female character who doesn't fight.

Excluding maybe 2 male characters they are all typically fighting for the whole game. Out of the 4 female characters only one actually fights. So somehow even though their is 25 more male characters there is more female non fighters than male non fighters.
But is this really much of a problem.... In Smash Bros? Honestly this sounds more like an issue involving Nintendo themselves rather than Super Smash Bros. :/

Seriously, any female character who winds up playable won't do anything but fight anyway. :/

Nado

Smash Cadet
Err, Anna does fight. Playable Anna fights, Merchant Anna's can fight, the DLCs true final boss is Anna.
But in every other game she didn't fight. Its kinda like that ridley argument where people use the one snes game where ridley is the same size as Samus but then in every other game Ridley is humongous. After seeing Ridley being humongous in like 10 games I'm pretty sure he's humongous, after seeing anna not fight for 10 games Im pretty sure she's a non fighter. I mean peach fights in mario kart would you categorize her as a fighter?

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
But in every other game she didn't fight. Its kinda like that ridley argument where people use the one snes game where ridley is the same size as Samus but then in every other game Ridley is humongous. After seeing Ridley being humongous in like 10 games I'm pretty sure he's humongous, after seeing anna not fight for 10 games Im pretty sure she's a non fighter. I mean peach fights in mario kart would you categorize her as a fighter?
Please tell me he didn't...

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307

So your argument is "she just hasn't fought enough to be considered a fighter?" How often is "enough" in your book?

And for the record, the "argument" is that Ridley's size in the NES Metroid was due to hardware limitations. Still doesn't make the size "argument" any less dumb.

Please tell me he didn't...
Yup. He did, and he managed to make the argument even dumber by getting it wrong.

GuyWithTheFace

Harbinger of smut and drag queens
NNID
GuyWithTheFace23
3DS FC
5413-0018-1146
Anna is undoubtedly a fighter, along with her many other roles. One of the Anna you recruit's first lines is "Careful, love. Prices aren't the only things I can cut in half!" Another Anna you don't recruit is fighting off a horde of bandits to defend a town. Have you seen her supports with Tiki? She attempts to cheat a dragon, a dragon who happens to be worshiped as a goddess, to make a quick buck. If that's not the mark of a particularly brave, determined woman, I don't know what is. Also, Apotheosis DLC. I don't need to say any more about that. She may not slay a god like Lucina, but to say Anna's not a fighter is unfair.

loganhogan

Smash Ace
In the rest of her appearances she's always portrayed as smart, powerful, and mysterious so at least she isn't a helpless character like say Peach. I think that you're mistaking her as a helpless character when she isn't. I know that you prefer a female hero like say Lucina and that's fine, but in no way is Anna not unique or another helpless character. Non-fighter =/= helpless. I'll repeat she's plenty unique because she highlights a different and unique role, and she's definitely a fighter I think Intelligent Systems has made it very obvious by now :p.

kikaru

Smash Ace
Some small and insignificant country town, WA.
3DS FC
0705-2807-1422
Peach is such an incredibly misunderstood character...

Not all characters need to demonstrate fighting prowess to get into Smash, what matters is if said character meets Sakurai's criteria, which Anna certainly does (Though not as much as other characters like Little Mac for example).

Nado

Smash Cadet
She isn't unique in what way exactly?

Smash Bros girls roster.
Zelda - damsel
Peach - damsel
Samus- hero
Nana- sidekick

Anna- merchant

That seems more unique to me than another fem. hero because it highlights a different and independent role but that's just me. Besides Anna is badass enough on her own, it takes much courage to defend a village all on your own. In Awakening she's not displayed as the helpless, the village she is defending is and she goes out of her way to defend it. I believe that she's unique enough because she has the ability to show up anywhere she likes in or out of battle. For Fire Emblem's roster she could add a different role than those we're used to getting, and that is unique too.
You make a good point here she is a solid character and she is diverse. She defends her town, she is smart, and she has a kinda unique role. I won't say totally unique across games as animal crossing has much more known merchant and a much more known save manager. If she was from Mario or Zelda Id be all for her inclusion as females in those games are not that strong or intelligent in general. But she's from fire emblem the game that originally was like "hey, ya know what girls can fight too. We don't necessarily need to make them weaker than our guy characters or be saved." I shouldn't have said unique that was the wrong word as Ive said twice now. Unique personality she does have. Her role is not that unique though. Other games have merchants, other games have people managing the save menu. In fact other games use girls to run their businesses(Think Nurse Joy). On the other hand very few games use females as a hero in the game but fire emblem has a ton so maybe a selection from one of the many fire emblem heroes would give a little diversity. While Tom Nook would be the better choice to fill that merchant void on the roster.

I also kinda expect that Lucina and Tom Nook will be playable characters for this very reasoning.

loganhogan

Smash Ace
Has anyone noticed the new direction Nintendo is taking with their damsel characters? Or is it just pure coincidence?

Palutena- changed from damsel to guide.
Pauline- changed from damsel to a mini-game hostess.
Peach- changed from damsel to hero in Mario 3d world

Smashiny

Smash Journeyman
Has anyone noticed the new direction Nintendo is taking with their damsel characters? Or is it just pure coincidence?

Well, Peach already was a Hero in SMB 2 though...

Curious Villager

Puzzles...

Miyamoto actually talked about something along these lines.

Shigeru Miyamoto said:
Well, yeah, back in the days when we made the first Donkey Kong, that was a game we first made for the arcades, the arcades were not places girls went into often. And so we didn't even consider making a character that would be playable for girls. But typically with the DS era, what we found is, you know, gradually, more and more women began playing games—both young girls and adult women, playing games like Professor Layton and Animal Crossing, so more and more ... and even as far back as Mario Kart, we had females who wanted to be able to play as female characters and we obviously saw the addition of Princess Peach early on in that series. And gradually, over time, we started to see the desire for other-balanced female characters. And so we've added heavier female characters in the Mario Kart series for them to choose from. So I think it's just a natural tendency.

Source: http://kotaku.com/shigeru-miyamoto-and-the-damsel-in-distress-520259897

Nado

Smash Cadet
In the rest of her appearances she's always portrayed as smart, powerful, and mysterious so at least she isn't a helpless character like say Peach. I think that you're mistaking her as a helpless character when she isn't. I know that you prefer a female hero like say Lucina and that's fine, but in no way is Anna not unique or another helpless character. Non-fighter =/= helpless. I'll repeat she's plenty unique because she highlights a different and unique role, and she's definitely a fighter I think Intelligent Systems has made it very obvious by now :p.
Yah she definitely isn't helpless and if I made it seem that way by grouping her with the other characters I apologize. I will argue that she is not a fighter. Unless anna is continuously made a playable character I would say she is more of a sideline character that all games have.

I know why ridley was small I'm just saying its the same argument and like you said its kinda dumb which is the point I was making. Awakening is the exception for anna. I'd say to be a unit considered to be a fighting unit you'd have to fight in at least a third of your games.

I haven't done all of anna's supports because I don't use tiki and mainly use anna for healing and picking chests. So she only has supports done with my unit. Though stealing from tiki isn't the most ballsy move ever as Tiki is the symbol of peace in the land and most of the times symbols of peace don't try to burn you to death for theft of an item that can be bought at many of Annas local merchant shops.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
I haven't done all of anna's supports because I don't use tiki and mainly use anna for healing and picking chests. So she only has supports done with my unit. Though stealing from tiki isn't the most ballsy move ever as Tiki is the symbol of peace in the land and most of the times symbols of peace don't try to burn you to death for theft of an item that can be bought at many of Annas local merchant shops.
Oh, she didn't try to burn Anna...

...she threatened to eat her.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Yah she definitely isn't helpless and if I made it seem that way by grouping her with the other characters I apologize. I will argue that she is not a fighter. Unless anna is continuously made a playable character I would say she is more of a sideline character that all games have.
Which adds up to more than pretty much any other character considering that Fire Emblem doesn't have very many recurring characters at all.
I know why ridley was small I'm just saying its the same argument and like you said its kinda dumb which is the point I was making. Awakening is the exception for anna. I'd say to be a unit considered to be a fighting unit you'd have to fight in at least a third of your games.
No, you were using the Ridley size "argument" as an analogy(getting it wrong btw) to your own as a way to boost your own argument.
Yeah, it really shows, considering that you got almost everything about their supports wrong. Anna doesn't steal from Tiki, she uses her to scam money out of the people who worship Tiki, and as Opossum said, Tiki doesn't threaten to burn Anna, she threatens to eat her.

loganhogan

Smash Ace

You prefer a female hero to represent Fire Emblem and that's fine, I have no problems with you expressing your opinions and I can understand your reasoning. I only disagreed with your statements that Anna isn't unique and that she isn't progressive but each has their own view and there isn't much one can do. I would also like Lucina or Robin, I liked Lucina's character in Awakening but my favorite is definitely Anna. We're all different people with different preferences, in my subjective view I think Anna would make the best addition to the series. Regardless of whatever happens i'll be another happy customer! As long as the game plays fine.

Miyamoto actually talked about something along these lines.
If he's adding more female character to Mario Kart why are they mostly princesses? Baby Daisy, Baby Peach, Rosalina? Why not Captain Syrup, Pauline, etc? The Honey Queen gets a lot of hate but i'm glad she isn't another Peach model :p.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
If he's adding more female character to Mario Kart why are they mostly princesses? Baby Daisy, Baby Peach, Rosalina? Why not Captain Syrup, Pauline, etc? The Honey Queen gets a lot of hate but i'm glad she isn't another Peach model :p.
Well at least that's something I guess and Princesses are females. :troll: I'm not sure if Rosalina is a princess though, yeah she wears a crown and all but isn't she more of a protector of the cosmos or anything? Could be wrong though it's been years since I last played Super Mario Galaxy.

I wouldn't mind seeing the likes of Pauline, Mona and Syrup join though.

You know what I liked about that quote.... How Sigeru Miyamoto mentioned Professor Layton. :D

Nado

Smash Cadet
Which adds up to more than pretty much any other character considering that Fire Emblem doesn't have very many recurring characters at all.

No, you were using the Ridley size "argument" as an analogy(getting it wrong btw) to your own as a way to boost your own argument.

Yeah, it really shows, considering that you got almost everything about their supports wrong. Anna doesn't steal from Tiki, she uses her to scam money out of the people who worship Tiki, and as Opossum said, Tiki doesn't threaten to burn Anna, she threatens to eat her.
Almost all fire emblem characters reoccur in another game. If you look through the games theirs only 2? that aren't reoccurring games. Therefore excluding the new awakening characters she would technically be in a fighting role less than probably half of the fire emblem characters.

Can you explain how it was wrong? I know the reason was technology limitations and I know the reason that Ridley was smaller in the melee cutscene was the perspective that ridley was seen in makes him seem smaller. The typical argument is because ridley was smaller once he can be different sizes? (also I think ridley can be downsized in before a ton of ridley fans come and attempt to kill me. Just this is the dumbest argument and it shouldn't be used.) And yes it was an analogy, the analogy was that arguments dumb as is the argument that anna is a fighting unit because she fought in one game. If you want another analogy Peach is a fighting unit because she is a fighter in a few recent games.

And I haven't memorized the supports nor did I go out of the way to get all the supports on units. If were going to talk about these supports, these supports are probably a negative for anna, as it changes the hardworking merchant perspective that you said before to a greedy, manipulative merchant which is the typical merchant role in most games. That would kinda make her more generic if anything. The shop keepers are typically people trying to swindle you out of money or trying to use you to make money...

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Almost all fire emblem characters reoccur in another game. If you look through the games theirs only 2? that aren't reoccurring games. Therefore excluding the new awakening characters she would technically be in a fighting role less than probably half of the fire emblem characters.
I would hardly call a character "recurring" if they only appear in 2/13 of the games in a series. The point was that Anna appears across multiple games and multiple continents. Anna has 12 appearances in the series. The characters with the closest number of appearances are the Pegasus sisters(6 games, FE1,2,3,11,12,13(DLC)), Camus/(6 games, FE1,2,3,11,12,13(Spotpass), and Tiki(5 games, FE1,3,11,12,13). The characters with the closest number of appearances to her still only have half the number she does.

Jaedrik

Man-at-Arms-at-Keyboard
Anna-Sells stuff, gives hints and for 90 percent of the games she's in doesn't fight. And the one game she is a fighter in needs to be saved (twice) in a very limited appearance.
Do you even know about Awakening? She is a Trickster unit, not only that, but a unit in the DLCs (spoilers!), and the merchant unit requires protecting in the main game. You're just leaving a lot of stuff out. Regardless, it all depends on Sakurai, if he sees a fighter in Anna, she will certainly deliver, and quite handsomely.

Edit: You know, I think I should go back to reading everything, amalgamating my responses into one reply, and then posting instead of going fast.

Nado

Smash Cadet
I would hardly call a character "recurring" if they only appear in 2/13 of the games in a series. The point was that Anna appears across multiple games and multiple continents. Anna has 12 appearances in the series. The characters with the closest number of appearances are the Pegasus sisters(6 games, FE1,2,3,11,12,13(DLC)), Camus/(6 games, FE1,2,3,11,12,13(Spotpass), and Tiki(5 games, FE1,3,11,12,13). The characters with the closest number of appearances to her still only have half the number she does.
True true. She's in the most games. I am just saying she doesn't have as many fighting appearances as probably half the characters in fire emblem. Because most characters are fighting characters in two games with some exceptions. 1/12 games would probably make her not a fighting character. Just as 2/13 appearances would not make them recurring.

Obviously you can talk about the fact that even though she is in 12 games she arguably has a smaller role in all the games combined then one fire emblem lord will have in a single game. But thats really personal preference whether you want someone with a large role or lots of roles. Im not really arguing that Anna isn't in a lot of games just that her role in the games makes her a support/sideline character when Super Smash Bros desperately needs a new heroine (heroine isn't the same as a damsel and a support/sideline character isn't the same as a damsel). And I think that fire emblem gives the most options for a heroine whether it be Lucina, Lyn or Micaiah.

Her most similar counterpart is probably nurse Joy or Tom Nook. But she is probably less important and less wanted than both those characters for their respective games. Id assume that if smash is looking to fill that merchant role that Tom Nook would be the person.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Her most similar counterpart is probably nurse Joy or Tom Nook. But she is probably less important and less wanted than both those characters for their respective games.

So Anna is less wanted for Smash than Nurse Joy? Then WE DECLARE WAR! BRING IN THE ANNA SISTERS!!!

Shotguner159

Smash Apprentice
True true. She's in the most games. I am just saying she doesn't have as many fighting appearances as probably half the characters in fire emblem. Because most characters are fighting characters in two games with some exceptions. 1/12 games would probably make her not a fighting character. Just as 2/13 appearances would not make them recurring.
She actually has quite a lot of fighting appearances, given how there's loads of different Anna's in Awakening, and all of them can fight. Sure, it's one game where she fights, but she fights a hell of a lot in that game, and one of the Annas in it has the highest stats of any Fire Emblem character.

Robert of Normandy

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
NNID
shinpichu
3DS FC
2251-3915-5139
Switch FC
SW-4957-7233-2307
Her most similar counterpart is probably nurse Joy or Tom Nook. But she is probably less important and less wanted than both those characters for their respective games. Id assume that if smash is looking to fill that merchant role that Tom Nook would be the person.
Except Nurse Joy is an anime character.The nurses in the Pokemon Centers are not named, and nobody is asking for them in Smash.

Tom Nook I won't disagree with, he is comparable to Anna and is probably more wanted than Anna is. However, popularity isn't the only deciding factor of who will or should be in the game.

Nado

Smash Cadet
She actually has quite a lot of fighting appearances, given how there's loads of different Anna's in Awakening, and all of them can fight. Sure, it's one game where she fights, but she fights a hell of a lot in that game, and one of the Annas in it has the highest stats of any Fire Emblem character.
Most of them are merchants that need to be defended haha. Which would kinda make anna a super damsel in distress as she would need to be rescued more in one game than any character ever. Also Lucina gets quite a bit of DLC appearance but in her dlc appearance spoiler spoiler she one hits kills grima spoiler spoiler. So even though Lucina gets one DLC chapters to Annas like 12 she is 50x more badass.

Do you even know about Awakening? She is a Trickster unit, not only that, but a unit in the DLCs (spoilers!), and the merchant unit requires protecting in the main game. You're just leaving a lot of stuff out. Regardless, it all depends on Sakurai, if he sees a fighter in Anna, she will certainly deliver, and quite handsomely.

Edit: You know, I think I should go back to reading everything, amalgamating my responses into one reply, and then posting instead of going fast.

Haha I kinda already addressed this but Anna is basically a fighter in 1/12 games which would logically make her not a fighting unit. If we consider her a potential brawl candidate we probably would focus on the merchant aspect for smash moves and use swords for her basic attacks. This fact that the merchants need protecting is kinda my whole argument. She isn't technically a hero who runs in and saves the world. She is more of a tom nook which means she does good things just not fighting things. Thats good and all being a shopkeeper has its merits but I think that the fact that Brawl only had one heroine out of its 5ish female characters. And the other 4 were mixtures of support/sidelines and damsels in distress. On the other hand all the male characters were either villains(lets not get super technical) or heroes. So if we are to add more characters that are female it would probably be best to add a female heroine rather than a female support character. Otherwise the roster would make one believe that all Nitendo females are support characters and damsels needing assistance and all guy characters are the heroes.

Hank Hill

Smash Apprentice
And I think that fire emblem gives the most options for a heroine whether it be Lucina, Lyn or Micaiah.

Her most similar counterpart is probably nurse Joy or Tom Nook. But she is probably less important and less wanted than both those characters for their respective games
I will agree with you here that Fire Emblem does offer a lot of potential heroines to be added, albeit sadly I doubt we will see the lovely Lyndis or marvelous Micaiah anytime soon. Lucina does have a good chance if she's with Chrom as a "paired up" unit in Smash Bros.

Probably less wanted than Nurse Joy? As important as Joy may be, she has stiff competition with other Pokemon in her universe.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I never even knew that Nurse Joy was supported for Smash in the first place if she is more wanted than Anna. They sure are awfully quiet then. :laugh:

loganhogan

Smash Ace
Nurse Joy is Anna! Why else do you think she gets all the gold for? To pay all the hospital bills! :troll:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Nurse Joy is Anna! Why else do you think she gets all the gold for? To pay all the hospital bills! :troll:
That would explain why their both red heads and have so many identical twin sisters. *GASP* Why did I never notice this before! No wonder Anna is so darn rich! She has two jobs instead of one! D:

Top Bottom