• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Violence is on sale today - Anna for DLC! * Waiting for new stock! Bear with us here! *

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Can't we just agree that Fire Emblem doesn't warrant a new character and move on?
Roy is among the Top 10 most wanted characters for Smash 4.

The real debate is whether FE should have (or will have) more than three characters in Smash 4, and if it is four playable character, which FE13 character (Chrom/Anna/Lucina) will be used.

210stuna

Smash Lord
Fire Emblem discussions never end well. That's all you need to know.
Good, I already left my opinion stained in this thread, so I'll leave the unnecessary bickering/arguing to everyone else.
It's not like anybody here works at Nintendo anyways ahoohoohoohoo!

*Unwatch thread*

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord

The real debate is whether FE should have (or will have) more than three characters in Smash 4, and if it is four playable character, which FE13 character (Chrom/Anna/Lucina) will be used.
That doesn't mean Roy WILL be getting in.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
I said a NEW character, as in a character that has not appeared in any Super Smash Bros. game on any roster. In other words, Roy doesn't count since he has appeared in Melee.

But in the end, we don't need nor want any new Fire Emblem characters. Most people will just be fine with Marth, Ike, and Roy.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
I said a NEW character, as in a character that has not appeared in Super Smash Bros. on any roster. In other words, Roy doesn't count.

But in the end, we don't need nor want any new Fire Emblem characters.
but, the crazy fans like me, yes, I just called myself crazy, want a new rep.

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
I said a NEW character, as in a character that has not appeared in Super Smash Bros. on any roster. In other words, Roy doesn't count.

But in the end, we don't need nor want any new Fire Emblem characters.
Okay gotcha. Yeah, there is really no consensus or passion on who the "new" FE character should be. Chrom certainly has the most support, but no one is actually crazy about him. I mean amongst people who want a FE13 character they are divided among Chrom, Lucina, Anna, and My Unit, while people who want exclusively a female character are divided among Anna and Lucina as well as Lyn and Micaiah.

Its like the Mario series but worse.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
But in the end, we don't need nor want any new Fire Emblem characters. Most people will just be fine with Marth, Ike, and Roy.
Hey, speak for yourself Habanero. I'd personally love to see new Fire Emblem characters (Especially if it was Anna and/or Lyn). :glare:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Ike-Sama is right. There's no sympathy in Fire Emblem discussions. Anyone's opinion will always conflict with another.

You could say that Fire Emblem discussions...

:cool:

...are fiery by themselves.
I think the overwhelming amount of really good characters make it that way... and yeah, those are true, true words....

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
Smashbros fans just want Marth, Ike and Roy because the majority of them hardly know a thing about Fire emblem. They're not FE fans, they don't ask for FE characters. They're just interested in replicating a roster we already had.

Those who care about the franchise want to see someone new.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
They absolutely cannot agree on which "new" character they want though.
Everybody have there strong opinions on characters for FE. They use the game that connected with them the most. Since Ike is already in their I'm supporting Lucina, because of Awakening

ChronoBound

Smash Hero
Everybody have there strong opinions on characters for FE. They use the game that connected with them the most. Since Ike is already in their I'm supporting Lucina, because of Awakening
The problem is that people cannot agree on a FE13 character either. Chrom currently has the most support of all FE13 characters. Even amongst Smash Bros. fans there seems to be the second-most interest in Anna. Then you have Lucina. And for a small number of amount of people out there, you have them asking for the My Unit.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
The problem is that people cannot agree on a FE13 character either. Chrom currently has the most support of all FE13 characters. Even amongst Smash Bros. fans there seems to be the second-most interest in Anna. Then you have Lucina. And for a small number of amount of people out there, you have them asking for the My Unit.
Not to mention Chrom.....

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
You can apply that statement to pretty much every other franchise, but in the end you got to think in the long run whether the endeavor is worth it or not.
Well, since a FE rep is very likely for Smash 4, I suppose it's worth it. :p

Gingerbread Man

Smash Lord
You can apply that statement to pretty much every other franchise, but in the end you got to think in the long run whether the endeavor is worth it or not.
Worth it? What are the consequences we're weighing here? Work? They're getting paid to do this and they're doing this by choice. Expanding the roster, something that they chose to do, means that the devs are adding characters. Fire emblem is one of the series that could use new reps so they're probably going to get it.

I don't see the point you're getting at.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
The thing is which character do you feel is worth it. I feel this should be continued in the Fire Emblem diccusion thread, and this thread back to this merchant:

D

Deleted member

I wasn't aware "several" meant "one or two".
Because really, Impa is only "prominent and important" in Skyward Sword and Ocarina of Time. And even then, her role wasn't any bigger than the other Sages in Ocarina.
She doesn't even appear in Zelda I and Zelda II, just the manual. Oracles, she briefly appears in one of them, and has a slightly bigger role as being possessed by the villain in another.

And before that you bring up Anna only having a minor role in every game she's but Awakening (and maybe PoR and RD due to the newer players doing a Tutorial, though that's a bit of a stretch), the difference between Impa and Anna is that more people actually give a damn about Anna, especially in Japan, where she's pretty much deadlocked with Lucina in terms of a Fire Emblem character for Smash (behind Roy and Chrom, though), and that she's seen as the series mascot in comparison. Even TVTropes makes a nod to it on their Fire Emblem Characters page.

That being said, am I against the likes of Lucina? No. In fact, given her sheer popularity outside Smash compared to Chrom, I can see Sakurai including her between the two. But at the same time, I can also see Anna being looked at as an option.
Having a tutorial that most people skipped is certainly a nod to a character's promince.

Seriously Yuii, it may have only been 2 roles, but they were still 2 major story centric roles. Likewise, Impa's had more minor roles in the Oracle games and Minish Cap.

As for Anna... Nothing. Like I said, so far she strikes me as a glorified Nurse Joy.

Impa: 2
Anna: 0

There is obviously a large degree of bias in the arguments people make pertaining those two characters. Dismissing Impa's importance in her series, yet claiming Anna is the face of FE is about as biased as you can get imo.

Anyway, this is not about Impa vs. Anna, that whole debate is dumb anyway, people can support who they like based on their own preferences. All I'm saying that I don't see Anna getting in Smash 4, and I'm certainly not convinced that she's as important and as likely as people say.

Like I said, there's no way in hell she's ever getting in before Roy, Lyn Chrom and Lucina. At best she'd be lucky to take Lyn's spot as the FE Assist Trophy.

Oh, and for the record, saying TV Tropes pays a nod to something is like saying the Wikipedia makes a reference to something. It means nothing bro.

I also wanna say I'm getting tired of people using Nippon as their wild card for everything. Apparently everything is popular there when it's needed in an argument. For one, we have no access to accurate Japanese polls, so until I see a poll from 2channel or 2ch backing up what people say, or something similar, I'll be taking all these "X is popular in Japan" statements as a weak attempt at a strawman argument.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
Having a tutorial that most people skipped is certainly a nod to a character's promince.

Seriously Yuii, it may have only been 2 roles, but they were still 2 major story centric roles. Likewise, Impa's had more minor roles in the Oracle games and Minish Cap.

As for Anna... Nothing. Like I said, so far she strikes me as a glorified Nurse Joy.

Impa: 2
Anna: 0

There is obviously a large degree of bias in the arguments people make pertaining those two characters. Dismissing Impa's importance in her series, yet claiming Anna is the face of FE is about as biased as you can get imo.

Anyway, this is not about Impa vs. Anna, that whole debate is dumb anyway, people can support who they like based on their own preferences. All I'm saying that I don't see Anna getting in Smash 4, and I'm certainly not convinced that she's as important and as likely as people say.

Like I said, there's no way in hell she's ever getting in before Roy, Lyn Chrom and Lucina. At best she'd be lucky to take Lyn's spot as the FE Assist Trophy.

Oh, and for the record, say TV Tropes pays a nod to something is like saying the Wikipedia makes a reference to something. It means nothing bro.

I also wanna say I'm getting tired of people using Nippon as their wild card for everything. Apparently everything is popular there when it's needed in an argument. For one, we have no access to accurate Japanese polls, so until I see a poll from 2channel or 2ch backing up what people say, or something similar, I'll be taking all these "X popular in Japan" statements as a weak attempt at a strawman argument.
Wow, that's a little harsh, I hate how a lot of people dis a character even if their unlikely, sure not everyone's going to get in, but this is about there is a possibility for that one character to be in. Also, I'm defending every dissed character that people don't want, but you got to remember, someone wants to have the person. It's not like the character is someone ridiculous like Chuck Norris

D

Deleted member

Wow, that's a little harsh, I hate how a lot of people dis a character even if their unlikely, sure not everyone's going to get in, but this is about there is a possibility for that one character to be in. Also, I'm defending every dissed character that people don't want, but you got to remember, someone wants to have the person.
Well, I don't hold anything against Anna. I actually like her character design in Awakening.

I just don't see her as likely as people who support her claim. I find that her chances are blown WAY out of proportion by those who support her, especially considering how competed the FE stots are. Likewise, I gotta side with Diddy on the fact that Impa, who's got a better shot, gets a lot of hate.

Granted, that's probably Diddy's own fault.

FlareHabanero

Banned via Warnings
Alright, tell me why it's worth it. Nobody has shown me that including a new Fire Emblem character would really be appealing, so maybe listening to you would see the errors of my ways.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Alright, tell me why it's worth it. Nobody has shown me that including a new Fire Emblem character would really be appealing, so maybe listening to you would see the errors of my ways.
Ah well, since you judge a character based on moveset potential, I don't really think I can convince you. :/

D

Deleted member

Ah well, since you judge a character based on moveset potential, I don't really think I can convince you. :/
Yeah, you'd think he'd support Lyn given that...

Guess I better go back to the drawing board and make her more compelling.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
You know, it's funny how this thread moved so quickly to the sixth page since last Wednesday when I bumped it up after it died since December.

Though it is kinda sad that the reason it moved so quickly was due to the many conflicting arguments that go from one side to the other. Ah well, that's what a discussion is I suppose. I'm still rooting for Anna though. ^_^

loganhogan

Smash Ace
Even among FE fans she's kinda unknown, like I said, I've played 7 games in the series, and was never aware that she existed. Likewise consider those who only played 13, if Anna were in Smash 4, they'd be confused as to why a generic unit got in over the likes of Lucina or Chrom.
That statement is wrong. Anna is nicknamed the RNG goddess among FE fans and have been calling her that for years. For what it's worth the developers of Awakening seem to agree with that statement. In a xenologue they gave her the rightful god skill and to refer to her RNG goddess status among FE fans. Among FE fans she's actually very well known and very well liked and commonly mentioned. FE fans know she's the permanent character of the series so her inclusion wouldn't be confusing, it could actually make better sense. In reality it's no different than the standards of the Pokemon roster. Where characters like Charizard, and Jigglypuff stand next to the Generation mascots like Pikachu, and Lucario. So in Anna's case her exclusivity and iconic status could easily be a reason to get her in.

D

Deleted member

That statement is wrong. Anna is nicknamed the RNG goddess among FE fans and have been calling her that for years. For what it's worth the developers of Awakening seem to agree with that statement. In a xenologue they gave her the rightful god skill and to refer to her RNG goddess status among FE fans. Among FE fans she's actually very well known and very well liked and commonly mentioned. FE fans know she's the permanent character of the series so her inclusion wouldn't be confusing, it could actually make better sense. In reality it's no different than the standards of the Pokemon roster. Where characters like Charizard, and Jigglypuff stand next to the Generation mascots like Pikachu, and Lucario.
Perhaps you're right, but in all honesty, I never heard anyone ever talk about her till this thread.

Of course, that could just be my own ignorance.

Perhaps, she's more prominent among the hard core FE fans? I still don't see her getting in over a Lord though.

Frostwraith

The Demon King
NNID
Frostwraith357
I lurk the SerenesForest forums and Anna's well known there as the RNG goddess and such.

And I always liked Anna's personality when talking in the tutorials of Radiant Dawn (my only FE game so far). After knowing she appears in all FE games, I started to support her for Smash.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
I first encountered Anna while playing FE7, when I suspended the game (I prefer to complete one chapter at a time, so I usually don't do that.) Dunno why, I was kind of surprised to see her pop up out of nowhere. :laugh:

She also appeared in an inn in FE7 in the port town of Badon, conveying her best wishes to a pirate named "Jake".

D

Deleted member

I first encountered her in FE9, since it was my first FE game, I watched a few tutorials.
I can't remember when I first came across her...

Like I said, I wasn't even aware that she was a recurring character till November, and even then, when playing Shadow Dragon and 12, I never noticed her.

loganhogan

Smash Ace
Perhaps you're right, but in all honesty, I never heard anyone ever talk about her till this thread.

Of course, that could just be my own ignorance.

Perhaps, she's more prominent among the hard core FE fans? I still don't see her getting in over a Lord though.
It's easy to see why people think only lords get in but they could always try something different. I am not making any assumptions as to who will or will not get in. I simply wanted to demonstrate that Anna is very iconic, popular, and a well liked character to the FE series.

Fire Emblemier

The Crests are to Blame
Switch FC
SW-2862-0450-4332
I can't remember when I first came across her...

Like I said, I wasn't even aware that she was a recurring character till November, and even then, when playing Shadow Dragon and 12, I never noticed her.
She's is the tutorial person of FE9, they can be found in the options... I think

D

Deleted member

It's easy to see why people think only lords get in but they could always try something different. I am not making any assumptions as to who will or will not get in. I simply wanted to demonstrate that Anna is very iconic, popular, and a well liked character to the FE series.
For me Anna falls in the same category as Bandana Dee, Toad, Kamek and just about all other more minor support characters from other series. Difference being FE has more protags to come in first.

loganhogan

Smash Ace
For me Anna falls in the same category as Bandana Dee, Toad, Kamek and just about all other more minor support characters from other series. Difference being FE has more protags to come in first.
But unlike the rest of the protags none of FE's are permanent so other than maybe Marth none of them have the Mario/Link/Kirby status.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Hi. I'm back. I still like Impa, still don't like Anna. Questions?

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
*Ignores Diddy*

Anyway, we should really get back to Anna herself. Have we discussed her other animations yet? Like her Taunts, Victory, Lose, Sleeping, Swimming animations etc etc? :/

Top Bottom