• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Video Game Music Thread

Amaterasu

Smash Ace

Thanks Cao for the pic!

-Been at home chilling to music and I thought it would be cool to make a thread about the types of video games music you've been listening to, and your favs ever (assuming u listen to vgm) =)
-Maybe discuss some soundtracks that you like =D
-So yeah, I listen to a lot of vgm and have a decent collection of over 100gigs now of vgm from all kinds of stuff, so here's a list of some vgm which I've been listening to recently

Recent Listenings!
-Subarashiki kono Sekai + The World Ends With You (some really funky tunes)
-Ragnarok Online Arranged: Hybridism (Amazing nostalgic jazz styled RO remixes)
-OCRemix artists --> JigginJonT (amazing piano work), Sixto, Zircon, Pixietricks
-Totally Pokemon (The song of jigglypuff lol!)
-Falcom Sound Team jdk (They do some of the Ys stuff and are awesome)

A few favorites:
-Starcraft terran themes (I don't know why, but they are just so awesome)
-Granado Espada (Some tracks from this soundtrack are just amazing from an MMORPG)
-An Endless Sporadic - Ameliorate (EP) (Just amazing progressive rock, the chord progression is brilliant imo)
-Pokemon 2.b.a.Master (I know the lyrics to just about all songs, and been listening to this for over 7 years...)
-Shadow Hearts, Chrono Cross (Just amazing!)
-Little Big Planet Music
-Loads of random tracks from the FF series (FFVI/VII/IX/XII) are great
-Kingdom Hearts Final Mix+ (And some tracks from the games)

http://www.last.fm/user/Ammeren <-- Music Profile

Favorite Music Websites

-Gamemp3's [http://www.gamemp3s.net/]
-FFshrine Forums [http://forums.ffshrine.org/forumdisplay.php?f=72]
-Gaming Force Audio [http://www.gamingforce.org/forums/16-music-trading/]

Yeah anyway, feel free to discuss your vgm related stuff or musical taste in general!

Sieg

Smash Champion
SHADOW HEARTS. I saw it in there. I ****ing love the Shadow Hearts music.

There's so much I could list, but no effort atm lol.

Maybe tommorow when I have spare time.

kupo

Smash Lord
Generally I'd listen to anything that sounds good to my ears. From pop to heavy metal.

As for VG music that are my favourites:
Silent Hill 1-5 (Akira Yamaoka is a genius)
Metal Gear Solid
Zone of the Enders (Ochestrated music mixed with techno/trance)
Final Fantasy Tactics
F-Zero (Despite that game being so frustrating, it still has good tunes)
Metroid III

...and some others.

I'm still annoyed how we were promised SH3 and ZOE2 OST upon game release but decided to make them U.S only. F*ckers.

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
Chris you need to be using this pic for the first post!

Squeeeeee, Fox is a guitar hero!!!! <3333333333

and i'm so invading your VGM collection when I visit

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Use your mod powers and edit it in Cao!

I've only got Brawl OST, Elite Beat Agents, Ouendan2, Lev 80 Elite Tauren chieftan, GH3, Animal Crossing and Pheonix Wright music.

Need moar!

I get mine from here
http://gh.ffshrine.org/

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
Kingdom Hearts, Shadow of the Colossus, Super Metroid, DKC1/2, Crono Trigger/Cross, FF OSTs are where it's at!

Isorropia

Smash Apprentice
This thread is sorely lacking a mention of guilty gear music. Also most tracks from Sonic 3&K + SA2B main theme.

M

+9999999999
NNID
Meteor
I have almost 100 gigs of it, so I'm not going bother listing anything right now.

Though I must say anything by Motoi Sakuraba ***** in general.

Wiscus

(◕ω◕✿)
3DS FC
3840-5663-0679
I listen to so much vg music...even for games I havent played.
Lately I've been listening to Mother 3, Okami, Tales of Phantasia, Abyss, Megaman 4 (SKULLMAN'S MUSIC IS SO AWESOME) Persona 3&4 and Skies of Arcadia (I actually own the cd's)
YOUR AFFECTION, YOUR AFFECTION, it's been stuck in my head for months now.

unreon

Smash Ace
I saw Shadow Hearts and Chrono Cross, and I was pleased.

But Shadow of the Colossus and Ico have the best ones.

I also like that Hyrule Symphonic Nintendo did a few years back.

Gusty Gardens from Mario Galaxy is splendid for a magnificent game.

Metal Gear has amazing stuff; the credits musics (Calling to the Night, Snake Eater, Can't Say Goodbye to Yesterday, The Best is Yet to Come, Here's to You) are so good they're actually chilling.

People need to check out Yasunori Mitsuda's independent works like Sailing to the World and Kirite too, for they are fantastic. Kirite has Nocturne, which is possibly one of the best composed pieces I've ever had the pleasure of relaxing to. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBK5oDdX07g

PS: Oh, and INDESTRUCTIBLE.
"I can feel it coming over me, I feel it all aroouuuund me"

PPS: 100gigs of VG music?! O_O Gosh. Though most of the time I wouldn't carry VG stuff on my ipod; I just don't feel like it works without the context of the game. Although stuff like F-Zero is FANTASTIC, and Pheonix Wright super catchy, without the screen it lacks most of its effect. That Jazz album of the Pheonix Wright stuff (Godot's Theme especially) is actually quite nice.

PPPS: LITTLE BIG PLANET has the most multicultural soundtrack ever. Do you have the garden song that plays in the first few levels? I've been trying to find that everywhere!

Sieg

Smash Champion
Anything from the racing games at the arcade is good.

WMMT3DX and ID5 all have awesome soundtracks.

Amaterasu

Smash Ace
Yeah, some awesome stuff posted,
-David Wise who did most of the snes Donkey Kong series is just amazing, every theme he did for the levels stood out and gave a real vibe to the place. Like you can actually listen to it, and know exactly what sort of level it was, ambience I think was what he nailed so well, from his stickerbush symphony to the wild cart rides, but oddly enough I think the tree top theme takes the cake for me. (When you are boucning on those half tyres, the music is also so bouncy but not in a happy cool way, in a quirky weird way, <3!)
For Donkey Kong I really enjoyed the 'Kong in Concert' remixes aswell, which was a remix album dedicated to donkey kong country, there are also additional and great remixes of some his great tunes

-Shadow Hearts blew me away, while some tracks like 'sicking ****ing' [I think it's called] aren't exactly what I like, theres so many stellar tracks. I think Shadow Hearts 1/2 are my favorites, I didn't warm up to three as much. Also one of their rearranged albums was really great, although I know quite a few people didn't warm up to it that much. But yeah, just had to point out 'callback to jesus', apparently the appegio like sequence in the background is a set of notes being played and then played again but in rewind, which explains why it sounds a bit unorthadox(but it is absolute genius considering it is one of the more famous tracks from SH)

-For Mitsuna, I have to agree with Kirite, some tracks on that were some of the most relaxing in all of VGM, although I personally loved 'Rythym of Red' the most. If you haven't checked out others from him such as 'Armodyne' or ' Au Cinnat' I would recommend if if you really like his work even though they aren't met with as much reception or praise =)

-A few orchestral soundtracks that I think should not be missed
--> The melee live orchestrated album!
--> FFTA Orchestrated
--> The Hyrule Symphony renditions of OoT and Majora's Mask
--> Theres also like a multi-part orchestral collection of music from all kinds of games done like over a decade ago which are a treat for anyone who loves orchestral (like me)
--> FFX-2 Piano collections are orchestral, but omg, that soundtrack out of like the 10 or so piano collections for the FF games just blows everything out of the water, just amazing! (Apart form that one aweful 'Creature Create' track

-Sadly I don't have many arcade soundtracks, but does 'Turtles in Time' count? That peice that plays where you are in the sewage waters with like crazy alien things coming out of the water is so epic and awesome

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
Yeah Bramble Blast was too good Chris! I have that and the first DKC2 lost levels jungle music on my iPod. Also the haunted woods music. Was way ahead of its time.

Amaterasu

Smash Ace
Sonic music is superior.
Most of the new stuff is really really bad, but quite a bit of the old stuff is right up there! Ice Cap Zone is famous as it should be! There was a fan remix album dedicated just to that one theme, resulting in like....10+ renditions of it, so yeah can't disregard sonic!

And for DK yeah, have to totally agree that it was ahead of its time, overall I loved the DK2 soundtrack the most because for every level I was just blown away by the music. It really gave something great to the atmosphere of DK games. The final battle with K.Rool in DK1 was so epic haha

Splice

Smash Hero
I was happy to see Startcraft Terran theme in your list, Chris, i also like the Zerg one.
I really like all the kirby music and the Pikmin music.
And Braid has an awesome soundtrack, its chillingly good.
Zelda music as well. I wrote up a metal version for Hidden Village on guitar and drums.

Amaterasu

Smash Ace
-I have the mother 3+ soundtrack, and some other random stuff from mother, but sadly enough I pretty much only like the tracks that were shown in Brawl >.<

-Btw, I downloaded and gave Braid a listening to, you guys were right, it is a really great soundtrack (from what I've heard, up to track 3 now)
I was really surprised that it was done in a chamber music style, if I could find a piano player and some person on guitar we could so totally do this haha!

-The chord progression and flowing melody reminded me of another soundtrack/s, if you like Braid you might wanna give these guys a listening to, they have released a few sountracks which I only have two of, but they go under the name of 'Acoustic Asturias' and are one of my favorite listenings =) [They are quite a bit more lively and fast compared to Braid though]

-Also, I'm thinking of having a weekly thing, where I put up some requested/popular/famous vgm tracks, probably one orchestra based, and one non-orchestral or something, where I would talk about the track and the dl link would allow people to give it a listen(If it's allowed)
I think it would really expand people's knowledge of vgm, and also other people would be free to put up their own similar sort of thing
So I'd be looking at starting this in just over a week or so after my exams =)

M

+9999999999
NNID
Meteor
-Also, I'm thinking of having a weekly thing, where I put up some requested/popular/famous vgm tracks, probably one orchestra based, and one non-orchestral or something, where I would talk about the track and the dl link would allow people to give it a listen(If it's allowed)
I think it would really expand people's knowledge of vgm, and also other people would be free to put up their own similar sort of thing
So I'd be looking at starting this in just over a week or so after my exams =)
This.

I'd help if needed, I seem to have heard like, everything, it probably wouldn't hurt to share my experience. >.>

Oh and Chris, Mother 3+ didn't even come close to Mother 3i's level of amazing. You should give it a shot next chance you get.

Forte4Tei

Smash Apprentice
Edit - nevermind.

Any orchestras/bands that play game music that are Australia based? Probably not right?

Amaterasu

Smash Ace
-We have Eminence Symphony Orchestra =D
And to me they are right up there, they have made some fantastic soundtracks and had some great performances, can't doubt them after they produced Opoona and GrimGrimoire

-Also MTR, I'll give the mother soundtracks another go next time I stumble across them =)
-And yeah, your experience with vgm would be much appreciated, this will be a really fun and great way to expand on our and other people's knowledge of vgm

D.J Cat

Smash Lord
-Snowboard Kids (Big Snowman and its big bass)
-Snowboard Kids 2 (Linda's Castle, Haunted House, Ice Land)
-Diddy Kong Racing
-Banjo-Kazooie

l3oOkeR

Smash Ace
Erm has everyone forgotten the awesomeness of Tony Hawks Pro Skater 1/2/3 These soundtracks along with Need for Speed Underground 1 and 2 are the best video game tracks ever. (this is after SMB1 theme, Zelda Overworld theme, Mute City)

Sieg

Smash Champion
You played Arcade Stage 5 yet?

We recently got the *** Export ver. in the arcade, good new set of songs, most of which I haven't heard.

Which is good lol.

EDIT: Bwhahahaha. It censors the shortened word for Japanese. NO MORE RACISM.

Top Bottom