• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Video & Critique Thread

Paper Maribro

Smash Ace
Im not gonna lie, he doesnt seem to play much differently or much better than myself really.

He also used Bonus Fruit atrociously against Rosalina. You dont use keys at mid range unless she is shielding so that you can hit Luma. He never really used anything other than key either.

Paper Maribro

Smash Ace
@ Firedemon0 Firedemon0

You may remember saying this when I first posted videos in this thread

Practice your recovery/off stage game, there was not enough besides fruit.
Recently my offstage game was described as such:

Also your offstage game is ****ing horrifying. I thought Pacs offstage was meh, but dude you ****ing showed me.
Thanks again to you and @ BSP BSP for all the hints you have given and the time you have taken to write such detailed responses for me. I am improving so much as a Pac player and in my smash fundamentals and you guys have definitely helped me a tonne.

Firedemon0

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firedemon0
3DS FC
1134-8459-4639
@ Firedemon0 Firedemon0

You may remember saying this when I first posted videos in this thread

Recently my offstage game was described as such:

Thanks again to you and @ BSP BSP for all the hints you have given and the time you have taken to write such detailed responses for me. I am improving so much as a Pac player and in my smash fundamentals and you guys have definitely helped me a tonne.
Heh, yeah Pacman is a beast at edge guarding. I have way too many videos and replays. Haven't had time to post them, but I will say my off stage game is crazy with a GameCube controller I will also be taking part in the EC2 mega tournament today. Ill post all my matches win or lose.

Firedemon0

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firedemon0
3DS FC
1134-8459-4639
Did not want to doublepost, but I did get bopped in round 5 losers of my bracket. Working on getting my replays up from my wins and loses, but in the meantime. I was on a stream for my last match. Netplay johns coming up, but I did miss some stage techs and ate a few forward smashes I shouldn't have. I did get some awesome Side B kills and experimented a bit with it this tourney. I did get mad props from everyone I fought however. So we still have match up inexperience on Pac-man's side.

http://www.twitch.tv/adaptchance/b/612876491?t=2h24m49s

2H25mish in case link does not work.

Last edited:

Zage

Smash Journeyman
I'm mega late posting this, but I ended up getting 2nd in my pools in the Smash Worldwide Wifi Tournament, and making it to Top 32 with just Pac. Some of my matches were recorded here if anyone wants to take a look.

http://www.twitch.tv/papakarcher

Kool Aid

Smash Journeyman
lol y'all judging alot off wifi matches with lots of button lag from CT. I don't mind though

If you guys have are actually doing anything besides talking, i've won 3 tournaments so far and haven't dropped a set yet. But yall can continue to Wi-Fi LMAO

Also, any of you guys pulling results?

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
lol y'all judging alot off wifi matches with lots of button lag from CT. I don't mind though

If you guys have are actually doing anything besides talking, i've won 3 tournaments so far and haven't dropped a set yet. But yall can continue to Wi-Fi LMAO

Also, any of you guys pulling results?
If you are done patting yourself on the back, I would love to see all three so that we can get a good idea of your playstyle.

Zage

Smash Journeyman
Whats with all the Kool-Aid hate all of the sudden lmao. He was ranked top 10 IIRC on the 3DS Dojo ladders and has the tourney results to boot.

Last edited:

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLUCqjpk7_M

i still want that mm, you going to apex?
Bruuhh! Now that's what I'm talking about!
And they said pac man can't be played aggressively. Pfft. You blew that assertion out of the water.
But nah man, I can't make it. Jersey is too far from me.
After that match though, I'm REALLY excited to play you (you even knew about the trampoline in the spawn plate!) You have a different flavor of pac man, and I'm trying to combine all different playstyles into my pacman gameplay. The character is just so damn versatile, and I think that's the key to mastering him.

Yeah, I gladly take back what I said lol. Btw, how do you feel about the diddy matchup for us? I think it's either even or in our favor.

@ Zage Zage
No hate man lol
I just didn't like his performance on that wifi tourney, but all is understood now.

Last edited:

dragontamer

Smash Ace
NNID
dragontamer5788
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aH1-4cIea_E
うみうし(:4yoshi:)VS てぃー(:4pacman:)Final
Match highlight:

http://youtu.be/aH1-4cIea_E?t=7m54s

The moment I first did a gimp KO like that was the moment I chose PacMan as my main. PacMan threatens those gimps so hardcore. If PacMan ever gets you in that position, it is a hopeless lockdown.

Just keep the opponent back, use them oranges and they can never recover. (Unless they're named Lucario or Rosalina)

I got back from work today and noticed that Shi-G uploaded some tournament matches. Two of them being Pac-Man games, so I thought I'd share them since they showcase a really good Pac-Man player.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ipHJdzsvX4
マイトガイ(:4dedede:)VS てぃー(:4pacman:)Semi-Final
http://youtu.be/-ipHJdzsvX4?t=2m14s

I haven't seen this Hydrant setup before. I've seen Hydrant push the Bell before, but here, PacMan hits the Hydrant with the Bell, and times it so that the Water pushes the Bell into Dedede. After Dedede gets stunned, PacMan launches the Hydrant and solidifies the KO.

Last edited:

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ
Glorious. I always knew that yoshi wasn't a bad matchup for us (both in theory and in practice)
His egg pressure isn't enough, and we can pressure him very hard on and off the stage with our fruit and aerials.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496

I haven't seen this Hydrant setup before. I've seen Hydrant push the Bell before, but here, PacMan hits the Hydrant with the Bell, and times it so that the Water pushes the Bell into Dedede. After Dedede gets stunned, PacMan launches the Hydrant and solidifies the KO.
Damn, just looked at this thread and this was actually one of the setups I was trying to record tonight.

That said, depending on how you time it, you can actually have the bell jump a second time when it hits the water with the hydrant right behind it. Timing is stricter, but it covers a LOT of space.

The two look virtually identical too meaning it can be really hard to know which setup is coming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLUCqjpk7_M

i still want that mm, you going to apex?
Oh god, my pants tightened a little at 2:29.

For serious though, your Pacman is sexy.

Lord Cruxis

Smash Cadet
Match highlight:

http://youtu.be/aH1-4cIea_E?t=7m54s

The moment I first did a gimp KO like that was the moment I chose PacMan as my main. PacMan threatens those gimps so hardcore. If PacMan ever gets you in that position, it is a hopeless lockdown.

Just keep the opponent back, use them oranges and they can never recover. (Unless they're named Lucario or Rosalina)

He didn't just time it, he has to believe its already going to hit when he did that. And thats crazy shenanigans right there.

CostLow

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2509-2293-9367
I added the power pac jump and procyon videos + some other videos I found on Procyon's channel.

Lord Cruxis

Smash Cadet
Well i actually have new video to post soon. I was stuck in a sort of pacman writers block shenanigas. I didn't know what I could do different or change anything that would be significant at all. BUT I finally made head way. I finally understood what @ D dragontamer was talking about with the mix up of short hot fair into going behind or doing another fair or whatever(thanks buddy). It just finally clicked and now I been beating people I couldn't beat before. I will have the video up soon.

Last edited:

Lord Cruxis

Smash Cadet
Well, since you brought it up... I might as well post it here too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fNJlLfmhbM

I ramble for about 8 minutes on how I view PacMan's Fair as a basis of footsie options against tall characters like Rob.
This is exactly what I just started doing and its been amazing....where in the world have I been....where as dashing A I feel is terrible. After the first chomp, an experience player grabs me right out of it after all this talk about it being safe. Its totally not safe.

dragontamer

Smash Ace
NNID
dragontamer5788
Just be sure you know to mix up your approaches. SH Fair is a relatively complicated one, since you need to space carefully and keep track of your hurtbox on landing. So it was a natural option for me to make a video for. It is very easy to make an unsafe Fair approach.

I'm trying to master PacMan's fox-trot options, although it seems like Fox-Trot / Stutter-step FSmash is the only attack that comes out with any real speed (which is a shame, FSmash is pretty slow for us). Fox-trot Dash Dance seems like a useful option.

Yeah, I gotta work on my approaches. Most of my stuff revolves around Short-hops, which gets kinda predictable over time.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Well, since you brought it up... I might as well post it here too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fNJlLfmhbM

I ramble for about 8 minutes on how I view PacMan's Fair as a basis of footsie options against tall characters like Rob.
I both agree and disagree with this.
While this is not 100% safe against most of the cast, it becomes a guessing game.
Fair>Nair/Fair/Bair/Hydrant: Punishes shield drop required to punish Fair>retreat
Fair>nothing allows us to punish if they keep shield up.
Fair>Apple is 100% safe.
Fair>Hydrant I *think* is safe, but need to test it.

To punish any of this though, they need to guess right on what the follow up will be, and we are not exactly lacking in options here.

Last edited:

dragontamer

Smash Ace
NNID
dragontamer5788
Fair>nothing allows us to punish if they keep shield up.
Misconception. You are going to enter Fair landing lag whether or not you do Fair->Nothing or Fair->Fair. So you might as well strike them a 2nd time. Fair->Nair is the "safest" against shield (in that it has the fewest punishability frames. Nair has less landing lag than Fair), but you will likely get thrown.

If you're going in, you might as well Fair->Nair. But I'd recommend against "going all in" very often.

Don't underestimate Fair's poor hurtbox on landing lag. Its quite awful. And the auto-cancel from Fair is something completely ridiculous, much slower than almost the entire cast's autocancels. Sure, Fair has relatively fast landing-lag, but auto-cancel is more important at higher-levels of play.

Fair>DJ back>Apple is 100% safe.
You definitely don't want to use double-jumps unless you have to. The double-jump is an option you must reserve to prevent "landing checkmates". (ie: Charizard side-B into our landing). Up-B, Hydrant, and Side-B can in some ways make our landing safer, but I'd rather not use options unless I'm forced to. Double-jumps are a precious resource, an "eject button" that you must save for true emergencies.

Last edited:

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Misconception. You are going to enter Fair landing lag whether or not you do Fair->Nothing or Fair->Fair. So you might as well strike them a 2nd time. Fair->Nair is the "safest" against shield (in that it has the fewest punishability frames. Nair has less landing lag than Fair), but you will likely get thrown.
That is only the case if you Fast Fall or did your Fair on the way back down. If you Fair on the way up, you can actually shield as soon as you land (Unless you fast fall it).

You definitely don't want to use double-jumps unless you have to. The double-jump is an option you must reserve to prevent "landing checkmates". (ie: Charizard side-B into our landing). Up-B, Hydrant, and Side-B can in some ways make our landing safer, but I'd rather not use options unless I'm forced to. Double-jumps are a precious resource, an "eject button" that you must save for true emergencies.
Oh wow, I don't know why I wrote DJ. I took it into training mode really fast and I was definitely thinking of just Fair>apple. DJ is a terrible idea and I feel bad for even writing that.

dragontamer

Smash Ace
NNID
dragontamer5788
That is only the case if you Fast Fall or did your Fair on the way back down. If you Fair on the way up, you can actually shield as soon as you land (Unless you fast fall it).
I've confirmed what my mistake was. You really have to hit that Fair immediately with that short-hop. Basically, buffer it out.

A buffered short-hop Nair also seems to auto-cancel by the time PacMan lands.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
I've confirmed what my mistake was. You really have to hit that Fair immediately with that short-hop. Basically, buffer it out.

A buffered short-hop Nair also seems to auto-cancel by the time PacMan lands.
Didn't know Nair also did that. Good to know.

I need to start doing that OoS more TBH. I tend to always tramp OoS no matter what and it's a habit I need to break.

Lord Cruxis

Smash Cadet
Some fun match I just found with Abadango and this Robin player named RekRP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmBJ66_yx0M

Not sure if his Opponent was that good though, didn't see Dthrow to Uair, Nosferatsu, Elwind Spikes, or any use of Thoron.
It didn't matter because that man got rek....lol Seriously though holy cow so much tech! I had not begin to realized you make some one stop blocking with UpB! Ahhh thats amazing and the apple throw into up B is genius! Great match

Last edited:

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
It didn't matter because that man got rek....lol Seriously though holy cow so much tech! I had not begin to realized you make some one stop blocking with UpB! Ahhh thats amazing and the apple throw into up B is genius! Great match
Ikr?

Top Bottom