• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Video & Critique Thread

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Hopefully I can get some WiiU matches later today,been using Pac-Man alot recently and got advice from this thread only 1 time total so I figured I'd come back. Considering how I've used him even more than Greninja (who I consider my actual main) , I've at least a little by now. Very painful to record my t.v. from an iPad though, my arms get tired fast.

Firedemon0

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firedemon0
3DS FC
1134-8459-4639
Hey guys, I have uploaded a heap of videos of my Pac vs. various characters. If you could all take the time and give me some tips, that would be appreciated. I do realise that in a lot of the videos, I use a lot of side-b. I have started to break this habit as you can tell because I barely use it in the Mega Man and Rosa videos, which are the most recent.

So, here they are, listed by character

Vs. :rosalina:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4NSiT5G0xM
Vs. :4sonic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8yc_n5fc18
Vs. :4pacman:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qg0VFLxWPOQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e608wrgbJng
Vs.:4bowser:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9S3N8_R1Ck
Vs. :4megaman:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dt2BtP0RJT8 (probably the best match I have ever played in terms of how well I played
Vs. :4mario:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fTo7SuX0fsM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMdvepy1UIQ
Vs.:4falcon:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CPVEEqlnoHQ

PS sorry about the quality.
Quality is no biggie.

For the first fight with Rosalina, I noticed you were throwing out Forward smashes almost randomly. There was a ton of smashes that whiffed. There was a bit too much rolling going on, you rolled a few times expecting the rosalina player to follow you leading to a forward smash or downsmash, but you were caught charging and was punished. This player was waiting for you to make the move, so Tilts and jab would be good options, as well as short hop fairs. Towards the end, they actually were sitting waiting for your key to be thrown, you could of used this to your advantage and got some easy bait damage out of them. You did whiff on a grab, that was unfortunate. Overall, the biggest takeaways from the fight, avoid spamming smashes, they lag and you will get punished. Do not roll to try to bait, this is also punishable. The major point, use more caution when attacking, with lower lag attacks.

For Sonic, again, I noticed a large amount of smash spam to try to get a read. This Sonic player was a bit odd? They did some weird things. You had a few moments where you were both spamming smash moves to catch each other, I'll be honest I did find it a tad funny. You had some good Side-B use in this fight, but also bad too. It felt a bit forced and if the Sonic was a bit more experienced, you might of had a rough day, however you did say this originally so I was expecting it. This is more of the same, use more caution with your smash attacks.

For the Pac-man fights, I feel like a broken record, but too many smash attacks, rolls and side-B. Another note I see a lack of short hops, I could recommend practicing them with Fair and Nair. Pac-man's safer attacks are his aerial moves because of his better mobility and less lag on them. It definitely feels like this is where you can grow the biggest is your move choice. I do see that you have good reaction time, but using the wrong attacks when the opening presents itself limits what your reactions can do.

Bowser, too many smash attacks rolls and side b. Need more aerials. I noticed your first death was causing by catching you getting up from ledge. Try to avoid getting up as soon as you can, you can better react to what they are trying to catch you with. Also keep your recovery options in mind, it was getup attack almost everytime, very easily punished. One thing of note, I can recommend following up the high angle side B with a hydrant. This can lead to some breathing room if it whiffs and they want to chase you.

For Megaman, I will be very particular as this is your ideal game. I noticed this Mega man rolled a ton, He was caught by your Smash attacks often because of this, I think this is the root cause of your smash attack Spam, you are trying to catch random rolling rather then reading any patterns they make with it. I can go over this if you would like. As the same time, you rolled too much again, also seemed to be spamming filts as opposed to smashes this match, which is better, but doing it 2-4 times in a row is not good. You did better with using Side b less, but you hit the stage when you did. He did a poor job recovering, but you did get good gimps with fruit because of this. I also saw a large lack of aerials. I noticed you stay planted on the ground, Pac-man is definitely stronger in the air. The only aerial attacks I saw were chasing after megaman with up-airs when he was on a platform.

For Mario, way way way too much rolling. He opened up the first match with a dash attack, rather then punishing with throw, jab or a tilt, you rolled across the stage. There were several opportunities to punish that you were unable to take advantage of because you could of shielded and attacked, rather then rolling anyway and rushing back in. There was a lack of aerials again. You also were trying to bait attacks to the ledge to use a getup attack, Mario was faster and got you several times, this is not a good option to recover from ledge.

Captain Falcon was more of the same, too much rolling. Too much Side B. Good footstool kill. Odd up-B usage. Odd choice of punish attacks, it was baiting getup attacks and ledge attacks. These are immediately punished with run up Shield.

Here are my biggest recommendations. Please do not take this harshly, I am honestly trying to help.

Do not throw out attacks on the chance they will connect.
Do not be afraid to use your aerial attacks.
Rolling is not a movement option to get around stage.
Side-B is a mix up attack/edge guard tool, not a common attack (you are getting better at it)
Practice your aiming of Side B, you hit the floor too many times, this is easily punishable.
Practice your recovery/off stage game, there was not enough besides fruit.
Practice using your shield more and rolling less.
Practice using Short hops
Practice punishing with Jabs and Tilts

Good things you are doing

You are reacting well to incoming attacks.
You have a good grasp on on Pac-man's ground attacks
You have normally good use of fruit to block recoveries

If you want to practice, while I am playing Wii U now. I have no issues helping you with these things.

Firedemon0

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firedemon0
3DS FC
1134-8459-4639
Got some new vids after fighting on the ladder

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QrbMKPqejyM
:4pacman:Vs :4sheik:
N2IT (me) vs dink

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=d6IFOeRZyeo
:4pacman: Vs :4sheik:
N2IT vs dink

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FWKUNoVmfpo
:4pacman:Vs:4yoshi:
N2IT vs dink

What is a yoshi? :p

Critiques, comments?
The first Sheik match, my only real critique is maybe being more aware of where Sheik was when charging fruit off stage. Several times Sheik got you hard when trying to charge on the down. It was nice when you got the Back-air to trampoline to Hydrant impact though.

The second, they killed themselves too fast to really make any noticeable critiques.

The Yoshi match, You had them dead to rights. Besides the first edge guard where they killed themselves in the process, you had the game under your control, they were running into everything you were dishing out. A minor nitpick would be easy on the rolling by the ledge. You did roll a few times expecting a dash attack that never came.

Decent sets in my opinion but i have one true critique

Please record with a better camera, the lost of focus hurt my eyes!

Paper Maribro

Smash Ace
Quality is no biggie.

For the first fight with Rosalina, I noticed you were throwing out Forward smashes almost randomly. There was a ton of smashes that whiffed. There was a bit too much rolling going on, you rolled a few times expecting the rosalina player to follow you leading to a forward smash or downsmash, but you were caught charging and was punished. This player was waiting for you to make the move, so Tilts and jab would be good options, as well as short hop fairs. Towards the end, they actually were sitting waiting for your key to be thrown, you could of used this to your advantage and got some easy bait damage out of them. You did whiff on a grab, that was unfortunate. Overall, the biggest takeaways from the fight, avoid spamming smashes, they lag and you will get punished. Do not roll to try to bait, this is also punishable. The major point, use more caution when attacking, with lower lag attacks.

For Sonic, again, I noticed a large amount of smash spam to try to get a read. This Sonic player was a bit odd? They did some weird things. You had a few moments where you were both spamming smash moves to catch each other, I'll be honest I did find it a tad funny. You had some good Side-B use in this fight, but also bad too. It felt a bit forced and if the Sonic was a bit more experienced, you might of had a rough day, however you did say this originally so I was expecting it. This is more of the same, use more caution with your smash attacks.

For the Pac-man fights, I feel like a broken record, but too many smash attacks, rolls and side-B. Another note I see a lack of short hops, I could recommend practicing them with Fair and Nair. Pac-man's safer attacks are his aerial moves because of his better mobility and less lag on them. It definitely feels like this is where you can grow the biggest is your move choice. I do see that you have good reaction time, but using the wrong attacks when the opening presents itself limits what your reactions can do.

Bowser, too many smash attacks rolls and side b. Need more aerials. I noticed your first death was causing by catching you getting up from ledge. Try to avoid getting up as soon as you can, you can better react to what they are trying to catch you with. Also keep your recovery options in mind, it was getup attack almost everytime, very easily punished. One thing of note, I can recommend following up the high angle side B with a hydrant. This can lead to some breathing room if it whiffs and they want to chase you.

For Megaman, I will be very particular as this is your ideal game. I noticed this Mega man rolled a ton, He was caught by your Smash attacks often because of this, I think this is the root cause of your smash attack Spam, you are trying to catch random rolling rather then reading any patterns they make with it. I can go over this if you would like. As the same time, you rolled too much again, also seemed to be spamming filts as opposed to smashes this match, which is better, but doing it 2-4 times in a row is not good. You did better with using Side b less, but you hit the stage when you did. He did a poor job recovering, but you did get good gimps with fruit because of this. I also saw a large lack of aerials. I noticed you stay planted on the ground, Pac-man is definitely stronger in the air. The only aerial attacks I saw were chasing after megaman with up-airs when he was on a platform.

For Mario, way way way too much rolling. He opened up the first match with a dash attack, rather then punishing with throw, jab or a tilt, you rolled across the stage. There were several opportunities to punish that you were unable to take advantage of because you could of shielded and attacked, rather then rolling anyway and rushing back in. There was a lack of aerials again. You also were trying to bait attacks to the ledge to use a getup attack, Mario was faster and got you several times, this is not a good option to recover from ledge.

Captain Falcon was more of the same, too much rolling. Too much Side B. Good footstool kill. Odd up-B usage. Odd choice of punish attacks, it was baiting getup attacks and ledge attacks. These are immediately punished with run up Shield.

Here are my biggest recommendations. Please do not take this harshly, I am honestly trying to help.

Do not throw out attacks on the chance they will connect.
Do not be afraid to use your aerial attacks.
Rolling is not a movement option to get around stage.
Side-B is a mix up attack/edge guard tool, not a common attack (you are getting better at it)
Practice your aiming of Side B, you hit the floor too many times, this is easily punishable.
Practice your recovery/off stage game, there was not enough besides fruit.
Practice using your shield more and rolling less.
Practice using Short hops
Practice punishing with Jabs and Tilts

Good things you are doing

You are reacting well to incoming attacks.
You have a good grasp on on Pac-man's ground attacks
You have normally good use of fruit to block recoveries

If you want to practice, while I am playing Wii U now. I have no issues helping you with these things.
Thanks heaps dude, appreciate all the advice. I will work on this a lot as I am keen to improve my game.

I dont own the Wii U version because it isnt out in my country yet, I will let you know when I have a copy because I would love to improve my game.

BSP

Smash Legend
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dt2BtP0RJT8 (probably the best match I have ever played in terms of how well I played
:22 - not a bad idea to attack him, but consider risk : reward of everything you do. You went for the full hop Uair, which wasn't a bad idea, but I think a SH Uair would've been sufficient to pressure MM on the platform, and then you wouldn't end up above him as you did a few seconds later.

:29 - Don't be afraid to jump out there a pester people who are under the ledge. MM's up B has no hitbox, so it's pretty easy to hit him out of it. That could've been some free damage and possibly even a gimp. At the least, charge some fruit while he's recovering. Time is valuable.

:30 - again, risk : reward. The only option Fsmash would cover in that situation is if MM ledge rolled into you. You got punished for it, albeit lightly because he went for crash bomber instead of metal blade.

:38 - in general, I try to avoid throwing hydrants after I double jump because if it gets knocked back at me, or read, I've got nowhere to go. Something to keep in mind.

:40 - don't go for raw Fsmashes unless you're in your opponents head or it's going to KO. You didn't get punished, luckily, but Fsmash has too much cooldown to be throwing out all the time.

:47 - again, consider all of your options and risk: reward of the situation before committing to an Fsmash. Once you start charging a smash, no smart person is going to come at you unless they've got no other options. Just for thought, I think charging a fruit in that instance would've been smart, because you could cover a lot of options out of it.

Don't roll towards the ledge and give up stage control if you have your opponent at the ledge. You limit your own options if you do. MM was free to run away if he wanted to.

:53 - try to confrim Bair off of hydrant hits. It's pretty easy.

:55 - you were more concerned about your hydrant than MM. Launching it with Ftilt right there wouldn't get much done imo. I would've ran back towards center stage and prepared to deal with whatever MM did.

1:07 - risk : reward; side B like that into the ground is extremely punishable. I'd avoid it in the future.

1:15 - your Fsmash worked here, but it was mostly due to MM mistiming his Fair. Consider using options with less commitment like Nair, Ftilt, Jab, and Fair. Also, if you use your smashes frequently, you will make them stale, making them much less likely to KO later in the stock when you need them to.

Good orange gimp right after that.

1:28 - I would've put a trampoline in front of me or something. MM would have to jump and waste invincibility frames to get over it, and once he jumped, shield would be a completely safe option.

1:29 - you can guess what I'm about to say.

1:42 - ^^^; that was a great moment for your Key.

Speaking of which, this might be personal preference, but I think you could be throwing a lot more fruit in general. BF is very versatile and does a good amount of damage. Abuse it.

Don't roll into the opponent frequently. Good ones will pick up on it and just turn around to grab you out of it. Consider throwing something instead or poking with short hop Fair.

2:06 - >.>

2:17 - <.<

Summary:

Lay off the smashes and use your jabs and tilts more
incorporate short hop aerials into your game
throw more fruit.
Possible be more aggressive with physical attacks when you've got someone recovering mid to high.

Oh, also, from another one of your matches I saw:

Don't use Up B to recover unless:

1. You can make it to the ledge/stage with the second jump; you don't NEED the third jump
2. It's your last hope and only remaining option

Smart opponents will steal your third jump from you if they know the MU.

Last edited:

Paper Maribro

Smash Ace
Cheers for all that dude, much the same as what FireDemon0 said. I will essentially reset my gameplan and rebuild it from the ground up. Pretty much the only way I am gonna get rid of these bad habits I have formed. The only thing I can really say is this is my first proper main (G&W was my main, all the others are secondaries) that has had a decent projectile. So I will work on employing it more.

I just have one question
:53 - try to confrim Bair off of hydrant hits. It's pretty easy.
I am not sure what a confirm is, I have seen the word floating around before but I have never really understood it.

But yeah, cheers once again.

CostLow

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2509-2293-9367
I just updated profiles for Paper Maribro and Pacman0. I also have all posted videos in the OT. Keep up the work folks!

BSP

Smash Legend
Last edited:

Firedemon0

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firedemon0
3DS FC
1134-8459-4639
Finally got some new vids.. on Wii U!

Vs. :4robinm:https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=74WniUZ31q0

Vs. :4sheik:https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lKimo0P167E

Vs. :4mario:https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pMfxQy6FblQ

Vs. :4falco:https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fdf67np_6lo

Any feedback or advice is appreciated as always, need it bad.
So with the Robin Match, you have made huge strides on your rolling, it had a purpose and worked wonderfully. Some errors on recovery, better to go low against Robin. You are better about double jumping, and your edge guarding has improved.

For the Sheik match, bad Side B recovery cost you the first stock. I know you were focused on attempting recovery, but I did see they threw a grenade, might of been able to get hit by that to maybe recover. It was a minor thing, not something I would consider advice. I did notice you had some issues breaking the hydrant. Bair > Jab/Ftilt is the fastest combo I have found to break it. Great job on fake out Side B at the end to seal the match. Definitely an improvement.

For Mario, seemed Hydrant breaking was an issue again. Your edge guarding showed improvement. A bad roll cost you a stock, but it was not an excessive one. You were punished for dash grabbing maybe a bit too often, adjust your approaches to sometimes come up and shield, and feel out their normal responses. Was a decent game, and your punishing ability is very effective. I do feel you need to use more Up-smash, while the lag was increased, it would of been a decent finisher toward the end of Mario's second stock.

For Falco, I saw you using your double jump on recovery a bit too much to be comfortable. You jumped when side-B or Trampoline would get you back faster. You did a good job edge guarding for the most part, maybe a bit too much apple, more hydrant use wouldn't be a bad mix up. This Falco made a habit of trying to recover behind you. You could of used that for more damage. Biggest suggestion is to learn to read patterns a bit more, practice recovery too.

Overall you have made large improvements since your last set of videos. The next set of things I can recommend working on is consistently breaking hydrant when you want to, streamline your recovery a bit more, and change up your edge guard and dash options, and work on reading your opponent a bit more.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Finally got some new vids.. on Wii U!

Vs. :4robinm:https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=74WniUZ31q0

Vs. :4sheik:https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lKimo0P167E

Vs. :4mario:https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=pMfxQy6FblQ

Vs. :4falco:https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fdf67np_6lo

Any feedback or advice is appreciated as always, need it bad.
In your first match, you should have been more aggressively gimping Robin when he was off-stage with Bair, I feel. I also think charging up your Bonus Fruit to Key would have also been useful. Forward and downward tilt I felt would have been more effective at the times you tried to use Bonus Fruits at close range. Not sure why you were randomly crouching at one point.

In your second match, you should have aimed your side B at a higher angle so that you didn't bounce off and die. I liked the down-throw to dash attack you did on Sheik.

At 3:27 of the third video, how come you didn't do a F-throw? Also, later, when you threw the Hydrant down, I feel a short-hop Bair would have been suitable to finish Mario off.

Also, I think, considering how slow they are, that you are using grabs and smash attacks somewhat a bit too much.

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
So with the Robin Match, you have made huge strides on your rolling, it had a purpose and worked wonderfully. Some errors on recovery, better to go low against Robin. You are better about double jumping, and your edge guarding has improved.

For the Sheik match, bad Side B recovery cost you the first stock. I know you were focused on attempting recovery, but I did see they threw a grenade, might of been able to get hit by that to maybe recover. It was a minor thing, not something I would consider advice. I did notice you had some issues breaking the hydrant. Bair > Jab/Ftilt is the fastest combo I have found to break it. Great job on fake out Side B at the end to seal the match. Definitely an improvement.

For Mario, seemed Hydrant breaking was an issue again. Your edge guarding showed improvement. A bad roll cost you a stock, but it was not an excessive one. You were punished for dash grabbing maybe a bit too often, adjust your approaches to sometimes come up and shield, and feel out their normal responses. Was a decent game, and your punishing ability is very effective. I do feel you need to use more Up-smash, while the lag was increased, it would of been a decent finisher toward the end of Mario's second stock.

For Falco, I saw you using your double jump on recovery a bit too much to be comfortable. You jumped when side-B or Trampoline would get you back faster. You did a good job edge guarding for the most part, maybe a bit too much apple, more hydrant use wouldn't be a bad mix up. This Falco made a habit of trying to recover behind you. You could of used that for more damage. Biggest suggestion is to learn to read patterns a bit more, practice recovery too.

Overall you have made large improvements since your last set of videos. The next set of things I can recommend working on is consistently breaking hydrant when you want to, streamline your recovery a bit more, and change up your edge guard and dash options, and work on reading your opponent a bit more.
I agree with all of that but the hydrant thing in the Sheik match. It wasn't that I had difficulty breaking it, I actually wasn't trying to at all! What I was really doing was tricking my opponent into breaking it for me so I could punish them for doing so, and I did a Bair to soften the hydrant so she'd break it faster than she might expect to. It didn't work out the way I wanted it to, but seeing as how it fooled you, the viewer (gotcha dude! ), hints to me that it could actually work next time if I can execute it better. If anything, I think I actually try to smash the hydrant too much and was toying with that Sheik to experiment with my idea, did it with the Mario guy too. Just trying to mix it up a little more, which is why I didn't use it on Falco.

Everything else you guys said is definitely true though, thanks !

Firedemon0

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firedemon0
3DS FC
1134-8459-4639
I agree with all of that but the hydrant thing in the Sheik match. It wasn't that I had difficulty breaking it, I actually wasn't trying to at all! What I was really doing was tricking my opponent into breaking it for me so I could punish them for doing so, and I did a Bair to soften the hydrant so she'd break it faster than she might expect to. It didn't work out the way I wanted it to, but seeing as how it fooled you, the viewer (gotcha dude! ), hints to me that it could actually work next time if I can execute it better. If anything, I think I actually try to smash the hydrant too much and was toying with that Sheik to experiment with my idea, did it with the Mario guy too. Just trying to mix it up a little more, which is why I didn't use it on Falco.

Everything else you guys said is definitely true though, thanks !
Ehh I would say that it is a questionable tactic. If you are expecting them to break it, I would not use an attack that would force me into the path of the hydrant or make it easier for them to launch it in my face. I would bait the attack and hit the hydrant myself launching it into the foe. I would not consider it a safe option when fast fall neutral air would be a much faster option.

Rashid

Smash Journeyman
Sharjah - the United Arab Emirates. (UAE)
NNID
MegaSnack
3DS FC
0903-2770-3378
I participated in Dubai's IGN Convention (which had a release date tournament). The videos were only saved/archived like two days ago. I used a variety of characters, but for the GF (I came from losers) I used Pac-Man exclusively in the first set (then switched after resetting)

http://www.twitch.tv/falcon_arena/b/591579029 Starts sometime around 10:45, vs :4mario:
I know I didn't do a lot of advanced stuff with fruit/hydrants, so I just need to work on that. Plus I'd been playing 2 sets in a row before this, so I wasn't really at my best. @_@
I feel like I have issues in neutral. Any tips?
And that bit at 30:52 was totally accidental, but it might be something to keep in mind...

Last edited:

CostLow

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2509-2293-9367
I participated in Dubai's IGN Convention (which had a release date tournament). The videos were only saved/archived like two days ago. I used a variety of characters, but for the GF (I came from losers) I used Pac-Man exclusively in the first set (then switched after resetting)

http://www.twitch.tv/falcon_arena/b/591579029 Starts sometime around 10:45, vs :4mario:
I know I didn't do a lot of advanced stuff with fruit/hydrants, so I just need to work on that. Plus I'd been playing 2 sets in a row before this, so I wasn't really at my best. @_@
And that bit at 30:52 was totally accidental, but it might be something to keep in mind...
I'll add this soon enough. For now, I just want to point out that Pac-Man man actually starts at exactly 12:00 in that video. :)

Firedemon0

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firedemon0
3DS FC
1134-8459-4639

The biggest thing I noticed is that you died very often jumping back from ledge to fair and got a forward smash to your face. He also liked to spam air dodge on any attempt to go after him. I would of baited that and frame trapped him. I can understand the fatigue, but you did miss off stage fruit grab attempts, its really easy to get galaxian and bell for z dropping on stage if off stage grabs are not working, which I feel you were going for with the melon and key toss.

I also saw that you tried to force yourself from above a few times, he chain smashed/tilted you. You had some good mixup's just work on those a bit more and bait low air dodges. I also would recommend more ftilts, you were caught smashing were a tilt would of been safer. It was still a good set, kinda bummed I did not see the end of your GFs though. Good job all around.

Rashid

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MegaSnack
3DS FC
0903-2770-3378
You can view the last two matches of grand finals here http://www.twitch.tv/falcon_arena/b/591586827 I went Mega Man twice (vs his Mario then Greninja), then I switched back to Charizard (with him going back to Mario).

And thanks for the advice. I haven't practice regrabbing fruit much, and I still have issues with defensive play. Plus I've been using custom moves a lot, lately, and they weren't allowed here.
Thankfully I got his number and we can have rematches.

Last edited:

CostLow

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2509-2293-9367
Hey guys! I'll be going on vacation starting December 10 and won't be back until the beginning of the new year sometime, so I won't be on much at that time. Then, a few months later my wife should be having our first child, and I think all of my precious free-time will be going toward the baby. So, if anyone wants to look into taking over the video library in the future, I'd be happy to help you figure out how to manage the job. It's pretty easy really, but just requires a little attention to detail. :)

EDIT: Oh, and this is the 100th post too. Woohoo! Do work guys!

Last edited:

CostLow

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2509-2293-9367
I know I shouldn't double-post but I want to clarify that I should still be able to keep up with this thread once the baby is born. It's just that I won't have much time to make any big changes to formatting if the needs arises, so please go ahead and keep posting your videos here and I'll make sure that I get to adding your videos in a timely manner just like I always have. :)

Goggalor

Smash Cadet
Hey everybody! I've kind of just been lurking on the site since Smash came out on the 3ds, and on the Pac-Man section ever since I decided to main the yellow bane of ghosts. Lately I've been trying to better myself as a Pac-Man player more and more so I figured I'd post some videos to try to get some constructive criticism from some fellow mains as well as just better myself at the game in general (Since this is the first Smash game I've actually played competitively).

Goggalor (Pac-Man) vs Pakohareth (Zero Suit Samus) - 12/8/14 - For Glory (1v1):4pacman:vs:4zss:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Goggalor (Pac-Man) vs ??? (Ike) - 12/8/14 - For Glory (1v1):4pacman:vs:4myfriends:
Goggalor (Pac-Man) vs ??? (Rosalina & Luma) - 12/8/14 - For Glory (1v1) :4pacman:vs:rosalina:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Goggalor (Pac-Man) vs Fede (Greninja) - 12/8/14 - For Glory (1v1):4pacman:vs:4greninja:

I know the games were bad, but I mainly just put them up to show off how I play Pac-Man for others to critique it and let me know what I'm doing well, what I can improve on, and what I probably shouldn't be doing.

Last edited:

Rashid

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MegaSnack
3DS FC
0903-2770-3378
I wanted to critique @ Goggalor Goggalor (is that a Psychonauts reference?) but first: HOLY **** DON'T LOOK AT GAME 3'S LOADING SCREEN IF YOU HAVEN'T PLAYED XENOBLADE. It's bad enough there's a trophy of it, but putting it in a loading screen? What the hell, Sakurai. (Maybe you can use something on YouTube to block the tip?)

Anyway, here's what I think:
  • Try mixing up your hydrant launchers. Ftilt is nice, but maybe try throwing an apple at it, or even just a jab.
  • You roll a bit too much.
  • After you throw a fruit, it hits someone and bounces, you can still grab it before it disappears. Keep this in mind.
  • Try not to be so liberal with grabs. Think of Pac-Man's grab as a hard read.
Also, TIL the patch didn't remove SS's hitstun cancelling. >:C
Anyway, you should join the Skype group! People often have matches or share ATs or other general strategies.

Goggalor

Smash Cadet
Damn skippy it's a Psychonauts reference (favorite game of all time btw)

After playing a bit longer I started liking Bair -> Jab on the hydrant more and more. I've been slowly learning that what we thought was a nerf to the hydrant is turning out to add more flexibility to it, which is nice.

And I usually don't grab that much at all with Pac-Man. I've just been trying to grab a lot recently to try and get a feel on its range and funky grab-box so I know when to grab when I need to.

Paper Maribro

Smash Ace
Hey everybody! I've kind of just been lurking on the site since Smash came out on the 3ds, and on the Pac-Man section ever since I decided to main the yellow bane of ghosts. Lately I've been trying to better myself as a Pac-Man player more and more so I figured I'd post some videos to try to get some constructive criticism from some fellow mains as well as just better myself at the game in general (Since this is the first Smash game I've actually played competitively).

:4pacman:vs:4zss:
:4pacman:vs:4myfriends:
:4pacman:vs:rosalina:
:4pacman:vs:4greninja:

I know the games were bad, but I mainly just put them up to show off how I play Pac-Man for others to critique it and let me know what I'm doing well, what I can improve on, and what I probably shouldn't be doing.
Welcome to Smashboards man! Great to see another Pac Main around.

I think the main things you need to work on are 1) Your offstage game, its more nonexistent than mine and 2) Your hydrant dropping is risky.

To fix 1)
  • Bair is great offstage and is handy off the ledge
  • You only orange gimped once, there were many times in the ZSS game when she was off stage and you just stood there waiting, chase her or orange her.
  • Apple is handy for knocking up opponents trying to recover low
To fix 2)
  • Dont drop hydrants when the opponent is on the stage with you, unless you do not plan on attacking the hydrant
  • You do not always have to use the hydrant as a projectile, it is handy in other ways too
Other nitpicks;
  • You also just charged BF in the RosaLuma game when Luma was right there. I probably would have got him out the way to make my life easier when Rosa comes down.
  • In a couple of the games you used Side-b when it probably was not a great idea
Things you did well:
  • Your overall game is very balanced and good
  • You get up off the ledge very well and it looks quite hard to punish
  • You chose to main Pac-Man
Once again, welcome to Smashboards and I hope you enjoy your stay here!

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412

:4pacman:vs:4zss:
:4pacman:vs:4myfriends:
:4pacman:vs:rosalina:
:4pacman:vs:4greninja:

Vs. :4zss:
  • Shouldn't have thrown that fruit while while did the DownB, shield instead at the beginning of the game. You did get a good bait from making her break the hydrant and kicking it at her afterwards.
  • You left yourself open a ton of times when charging up the Bonus fruit, and you ended up taking a lot of dash attacks to the face.
  • When you charge to the key, you seem to throw it just a few seconds after getting it. You destroyed her with it twice (which is fine since she just landed back on the ground), but I'd personally wait a little longer for when they least suspect it.
  • You did too much rolling
  • I don't even play ZSS but it looks like your opponent wasn't very good. Used Dash attacks way too much, made pretty poor use of the Dair, didn't use many (if any) grabs, used Fsmash a little too much, and got too comfortable with her UpB when trying to hit you in midair. I dunno why she attempted to break the hydrant in one point of the match either.
Vs. :4myfriends:
  • Vs.You don't have to launch a hydrant almost everytime you're n the air, cause I think you were dropping it too much. Against a character like Ike, he has pretty massive power and he could probably break your own hydrant more easily and use it against you, and I would try to use that less often (at least as a projectile) against powerhouse characters like him or Charizard. You were also kind of obvious when attempting to break it.
  • Again you were rolling a lot. He didn't punish you for it, but a better player wouldn't let you get away with it.
  • Good gimp kill on his first stock with the orange and hydrant combined.
  • Good sideb recovery attempt, though I think your double jumps were unnecessary
  • No offense, but I think you took his 2nd stock and won on behalf of your opponent's clumsiness rather than your own skill. When you threw that orange at him he could've double jumped earlier, but he didn't and used it too late, killing himself. It also seemed like he had the upper hand in the fight until you gimped him with an orange, I mean he did more damage to you than you did to him.
  • Don't approach dash attacks or dash grabs so much, use shorthop Fairs and Nairs instead. If that Ike player was better at punishing, he could've easily shieldgrabbed you or tilt punished your whiffed dash grab though. To be fair though, I'm trying to break my own habit of dash grabbing.
  • In some instances where you grabbed him and used Bthrow, you coudl've used Dthrow instead to combo into a dash attack or sideb.
Vs. :4greninja:
I main Greninja and I have to say something: That guy was bad, garbage even. Not sure if you played him again or if he improved afterwards, but from this match its pretty clear that he doesn't know how to play his own character and I wouldn't be surprised if he's totally new to the game. Of your 4 opponents, I personally find this guy to be the worst one:
  • Used Shadow Sneak waaaaaay too friggin' much. On Greninja's side that's only good for surprise attacks, offensive recovery mixups, or occasional OoS option and not a common attack.
  • Poor recovery execution, using SideB offstage when he should've used a wall cling and hydro pump. Greninja has one of the best recoveries in the game, if your opponent was any good you probably wouldn't have killed him.
  • Using Dair too much, even when you weren't below him.
  • Using Usmash while you were hanging on the ledge and completely out of range for to hit. Maybe he was expecting you to roll, but it seemed more like he did it just for the sake of doing it.
  • Not sure why he went for all those counters in mid-air.. Greninja's counter sucks.
  • He ran off the ledge, did SideB and killed himself... that was kinda pathetic tbh.
  • Didn't use the Water Shuriken much, which is important because its one of his best moves and one of the best projectles in the game. If he did use it, you probably would've had a harder time fighting him.

Given how that battle was over rather fast and he didn't get a lot of damage or kill you at all, I question why you chose this replay for criticism. When he was using his attacks, it felt like he used them just for the sake of it, with no good reason behind it. He just wasn't using his moves intelligently, and its like he was fighting you without thinking. On your side of criticism, the only new thing I can say is that you missed a lot of punish attempts from his spammed Dairs and Shadow Sneaks, all your other mistakes are the same ones from the other two. Your opponent was simply too bad and the fight was too short to give any proper new critique, and I personally don't think this battle was worth saving a replay at all. He wasn't actually challenging you and it didn't look like you were having a hard time fighting him.

Vs. :rosalina:
  • Not the best Rosalina player, I can tell. She could've used her her DownB to absorb your kicked hydrants and fruit, but didn't use it even once. If she did use the DownB, you probably would've had to change your gameplay a ton. She was also kinda reckless with her luma shots, dash attacks, and rolling.
  • You actually did a little better in this match, since you chased her in the air with Nair and got her wth Up Smash. The apple kill was pretty cool too. Same mistakes as before otherwise: Rolling, Overuse of Hydrant, and Bad Approach attempts with dash attacks.

Next time though if you want my advice, try getting better battles with matches that you lose instead of just win. In all honesty, it looks like all 4 of your opponents were below average (especially that Greninja player) and those battles didn't give full showcases of your weaknesses, and you 2-stocked like all of them except for the ZSS player.. That :4zss: player was a little better than the other 3 and was able to kill you at least once, but still not good overall. I'm not sure if you battled them more than once or if they did better afterwards, but if they did improve I think you should have uploaded those videos rather than these ones.

Its just that watching you 2 stock those other guys who were clearly the worse players (or at least with their respective characters) says very little about your ability to adapt to competent players by making you pay the price for your poor choices and mistakes, and it forces you to think on your feet. The loses are more helpful for criticism than wins, where your gameplay flaws and bad habits and are more easily shown in the spotlight so its easier to know why you're struggling. Given how none of your opponents were that great, you 2-stocked 3/4 of them, and your sets were over rather fast; you were hardly actually challenged in any way. This might sound very harsh, but it looked more like you won because your opponents' low skill rather than because of your good skill, although some of your habits were pretty easy to notice nonetheless.

Last edited:

CostLow

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2509-2293-9367
Well, I guess I'll be adding this stuff later on. I gotta get to work right now though. So, you can expect to see it on the OT in about 10-12 hours from now. I'll also put these critiques into a progression profile for you so that if you stick around, you can find your critiques nice and easy like. :)

EDIT: Also, in the future, could you follow the suggested format? It makes my life a lot easier when you do.

Last edited:

Goggalor

Smash Cadet
Cool beans.
And sorry about the format thing, I fixed it the best I could. When I tried to just post the links by themselves when I first posted it said I needed 10 posts to include links (hence the embed videos).

@ Funkermonster Funkermonster
Harsher critiques are the best ones imo, so I don't mind them. I understand what you're saying about the other players though, I'll try to hop on later today to get some games and hopefully find some better players to record against.
These videos were more so to try and get a general "You're doing this too much" or "Try working on this" with how I play, which everyone has been super helpful with. So thanks bunches :]

CostLow

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2509-2293-9367
I only just found this page, but I'll make sure I do something with it here, soon. This is Pac-man's section of the smashboards "Media" collection. I haven't even watched the videos yet to see if we already have them or if they're any good, but hopefully I just stumbled upon a gem.

http://smashboards.com/media/medias?filter=pac-man

Edit: Just so I don't double-post I'll edit this post...

Just a heads up. I'm going on vacation starting today. I'll check in once in a while but this is not a priority for me while I'm gone so please keep that in mind if you need anything from me. (It just might have to wait a week or 3)

See you guys in a little while. :)

Last edited:

Goggalor

Smash Cadet
Got some new and better games this time around. Got a win and loss in both videos, both against far better players than last time.

Goggalor (Pac-Man) vs Big (ROB) - 12/15/14 - For Glory (1v1)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Goggalor (Pac-Man) vs Nar (Wii Fit Trainer) - 12/15/14 - For Glory (1v1)

I feel like I've cut back on the whole "rolling too much" issue, but still think I'm doing it in unnecessary times every now and again. There was some latency issues all throughout the games I had with the ROB player and I've noticed plenty of mistakes were made in the second game against ROB after re-watching it, most were on my part though. So not trying to scapegoat that game.

Wii Fit Trainer games were fun though. I haven't really had much of a chance to play too many WFT players outside of personal friends, so it was a nice experience.

BSP

Smash Legend
Ok, good chunk of stuff. These videos have documentation on their pages.

Vs. Luigi
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8YWOxUcqLY&list=PLcSFa7RNfOGX1ClwPNjghJj_VkXbLQFoJ#t=734

Vs. Mario
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-L6Q3cfOWk&list=PLcSFa7RNfOGX1ClwPNjghJj_VkXbLQFoJ&index=11

Got some more, will link them in a bit. These are from SALT, 12/21/14, grand finals V vs BSP. I do not remember which set each match is from though.

Vs. Kirby
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ciV_Z-btxs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5zeltaS6-E

Vs. Zelda
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LkidHjvq3A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jfAyEHI2uI

Vs. Diddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SBT_2Pnjsc

I think I'm getting better overall. I believe I only got hit by my own fire hydrant once today, and I did a lot of work with using up B as an unblockable. However, I still grab too much, and it gets me punished frequently. I also still have to fix mechanical errors, because failing to B reverse fruits means a lot of wasted charge time.

I wasn't doing it, but something we can do against Mario fireball pressure is aim Side B into the fireballs, cancelling the move, and giving us a 2% heal each time. It'll definitely discourage long and mid range fireballs, which is when they are at their best.

The last five matches are on a -somehow- unpatched wii U. You'll see my bair launch hydrant in one hit. They are from grand finals of a local. My opponent, V, took set one 3-2 and then I took set two 3-1. Unfortunately, majority of the vids are of me winning, but V was definitely no slouch. We couldn't save all of the matches due to the time limit I believe.

On 12/22, had a set on TKbreezy's stream. My matches start at 3:13:09.

http://www.twitch.tv/tkbreezy/b/602231957

Johns - third game, when I was running after his landing and did a Dash attack, that should've been an U smash for the game lol.

EDIT: Had a set with MrConCon on his stream. Starts at around 5:20:15. I get bopped game 1, but it's not over till it's over.

http://www.twitch.tv/smashstudios/b/602509518

Last edited:

Goggalor

Smash Cadet
When you're hanging on an edge and trying to get back up, try backing off of it then immediately jump into a Forward-Air as you're trying to get back on stage. A friend showed me how to do it since I've had trouble recovering from edge guards, and it has been absolutely wonderful. Pac-Mans Neutral-Air is also great for this since it's got a bit of knock back.

Also you seem a bit hesitant to chase your opponent and head off-stage (which was one thing I was critiqued for and have greatly improved on it imo.) One of my favorite off-stage follow-ups is to just run off and hit them with your Neutral-Air or Orange. The knock back has usually been enough to send them off screen at least, if not kill. Plus, with Pac-Mans god tier recovery, it's not like you have much to worry about when getting back to the stage yourself. Especially since both forms can damage them even further, one of which is a solid kill move.

BSP

Smash Legend
Noted, but I've also realized how funny Trampoline + bouncing hydrant on the ledge is, and it's really fun to set up. I'm hesitant to jump offstage because I'm too used to Mario, who, if you make a mistake while edgeguarding, can be easily gimped himself. Not the case with Pac-Man though.

Added a set with TKbreezy to my above post.

Last edited:

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
VODs from the official r/smashbros reddit tournament I hosted.

Ness v PacMan set:
ROB v PacMan set:

AGES

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Snicks
I don't have a ton of tips to give right now but something that stood out to me for a lot of those vids is how you get a little too excited with your smash attacks, Pac-Mans smashes are generally pretty slow and have a lot of recovery time which opens you up for punishes a lot, so you should mostly be only using them as punishes at high percents or as a good read and not throwing them out a lot like you did in some of those videos. You were a bit better with it vs ZSS however.

Finally got a capture card that doesn't outright suck, here are some replays I saved earlier this month on FG against a solid Meta Knight player: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=av86SVIiKWA (keep in mind the video ends around 17 mins in, vegas apparently didn't cut the music short oh well)
Played around with grabbing the key quite a bit, I think I was a little greedy with it on occasion lol. As usual any feedback is appreciated.

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
I don't have a ton of tips to give right now but something that stood out to me for a lot of those vids is how you get a little too excited with your smash attacks, Pac-Mans smashes are generally pretty slow and have a lot of recovery time which opens you up for punishes a lot, so you should mostly be only using them as punishes at high percents or as a good read and not throwing them out a lot like you did in some of those videos. You were a bit better with it vs ZSS however.

Finally got a capture card that doesn't outright suck, here are some replays I saved earlier this month on FG against a solid Meta Knight player: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=av86SVIiKWA (keep in mind the video ends around 17 mins in, vegas apparently didn't cut the music short oh well)
Played around with grabbing the key quite a bit, I think I was a little greedy with it on occasion lol. As usual any feedback is appreciated.
Watching these again, damn... how did I miss that? I had no idea I was over-smashing, thanks for pointing that out.

As for your videos, I don't really have a lot of tips to give you either and I only watched the first 5 sets, but I think I notied 3 things in particular:

1. Maybe you're trying to force hydrant break a little too much and making it predictable?
2. A few overhead sideb uses, you didn't get punished for them but you could have been. Would've been a little safer using it when recovering low or when you're on the ground, doing it that high in the air leaves you vulnerable when coming down.
3. A couple of times you were charging up Bonus fruit when it probably wasn't a great idea and you got punished a few times for it, and I think I remember seeing you die once offstage while charging it too long. Oddly enough from my own critiques on my own videos, I just noticed I have a tendency to use bonus fruits in close range when I could be using Dtilt or Ftilt instead right after watching yours (especially in my Jigglypuff match)

Goggalor

Smash Cadet
Since I haven't seen them posted here yet, I figure I would do so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBMj4JMFtX8
Abadango (Pac-Man) vs Brood (Duck Hunt) - UMEBURA11

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHf2t6m6KxQ
Abadango (Pac-Man) vs Nietono (Fox/Olimar) - UMEBURA11

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RizBpmM0-hY
ch (Pac-Man) vs D2 (ZSS) - Pre KVO

I guess a good chunk of the stream data from the UMEBURA11 event was lost, so we won't be able to see the rest of Abadangos Pac-Man matches.

Top Bottom