• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Video & Critique Thread

PEPESPAIN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PEPESPAIN
3DS FC
1306-8476-2667
Youtube versions of the fights I mentioned.

BSP (Pac-Man) vs. Chub (Yoshi) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjVF6b71UWg
BSP (Pac-Man) vs. Matthew Combo (Mario) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxyE-LZCbTE
BSP (Pac-Man) vs. Johnathan (Villager) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDd5nNz9KeE

Nothing with the ROB though :\

I still would like critiques. Since I get hit and lose games, I can still use advice.

I watched your matches and I think that you don't know how to kill with PACMAN, you have a lot of troubles killing. You played really good all the match, but when you have to kill...
Here some killing setups I use (Mario weight):
  • from 80% to 140% --> Bell to... Upsmash (120%), sideB (80%~100%), fsmash (100%)
  • 140% --> Apple, try to catch it to... zdrop or up throw the apple + upb (130%)
  • 150% --> Melon .... zdrop or up throw the Melon + upb or Upthrow the melon and back throw into de melon (130%)
  • 120% --> Key. DA into reversal B or zdrop the key (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vn4-amdC_g)
Look this video :

I don't say anything else because.... you played really well, I only saw problems to perform the kill move. I hope that helps!

Last edited:

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Anyone, anything?
Just throwing this out there, I haven't forgotten about you, but unfortunately I can't watch twitch videos on this computer for some reason, and the cell phone app won't let me watch archived footage, so it will actually need to wait until early June when I get back, assuming your still looking for critique at that time.

Finally finished uploading my tournament sets from last weekend:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLMdwNx6LkCU1Q6K8GzMaIUBBZI5u38rzY

The only tournament sets I played that aren't on there are:

-My second set against H-man. It was played on stream, but they apparently forgot to save that one (Shame as I *started* to figure out the MU in that set).

-Game 2 against JT. I was so disgusted by how hard he sandbagged me that I forgot to save it. I CP Lylat and he switches to Link? Really? Yeah, that went about as well as one would expect.

-Warhound, another guy in my pool. We didn't play on my console. Honestly didn't miss too much; it was a ZSS who didn't have a clue what to do against Pacman.

-My MM with KB was sadly not recorded either. While it was clear he didn't know the MU, neither really did I yet his Fox, which outplaced me in tournament, got bodied. It was a good example of why I don't think that MU is bad for us.

Anyway while I do see a lot of my mistakes, especially against ITT and H-man, I would appreciate any critique you guys throw my way.
Oh and before anyone says it, yeah, I definitely need to work on my pellet blocking. I'm super sloppy with that.

I hate to be tat guy; but could I get a bit of feedback? I have a french tournament this weekend and would love to step up my game before I head in there. I really want to be the overseas guy who comes in and steals all of their money. The fact that there isn't a Pac player in the country should help me, but I want to be as prepared as I can be.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
Just throwing this out there, I haven't forgotten about you, but unfortunately I can't watch twitch videos on this computer for some reason, and the cell phone app won't let me watch archived footage, so it will actually need to wait until early June when I get back, assuming your still looking for critique at that time.

I hate to be tat guy; but could I get a bit of feedback? I have a french tournament this weekend and would love to step up my game before I head in there. I really want to be the overseas guy who comes in and steals all of their money. The fact that there isn't a Pac player in the country should help me, but I want to be as prepared as I can be.
I got you man. As soon as I am able to sit down and critique your matches today, I will.

Just a small tidbit before I critique.
Practice pellet shielding just a bit more. Doing it right before the attack hits you is better than trying to aim the pellet.

Last edited:

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
Does anybody have any good footage of Kool Aid? I feel like some of my Pac-Man skills have gone down the drain, and I think watching him mght help

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
I would appreciate any critiques and feedback you have. My opponent got 2nd place at the tourney and believe me I’m aware that I played poorly the first match.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lk6X2YP1sRk

My own critiques are that I should have forced him to respect my on fire hydrant, I'll start charging up my key and bait out a hydrant knock over and punish for it so that he doesn’t feel like he can just hit it over so recklessly. Ialso need to respect Luigi’s grab more, I was told the correct way DI his throws are away, and then repeatedly DIing down for the down b instead of holding down so I’ll try that. And lastly. since he is so grab happy I might try the Dire Hydrant on Luigi’s for next time instead.

But tell me what you think thanks(We should make a better effort to critique each other’s videos, we all want to see Pacman do well so I don’t see why we’re not making more of an effort to help out)

BSP

Smash Legend
I would appreciate any critiques and feedback you have. My opponent got 2nd place at the tourney and believe me I’m aware that I played poorly the first match.

My own critiques are that I should have forced him to respect my on fire hydrant, I'll start charging up my key and bait out a hydrant knock over and punish for it so that he doesn’t feel like he can just hit it over so recklessly. Ialso need to respect Luigi’s grab more, I was told the correct way DI his throws are away, and then repeatedly DIing down for the down b instead of holding down so I’ll try that. And lastly. since he is so grab happy I might try the Dire Hydrant on Luigi’s for next time instead.

But tell me what you think thanks(We should make a better effort to critique each other’s videos, we all want to see Pacman do well so I don’t see why we’re not making more of an effort to help out)
Is there a reason you're not using trampoline in neutral? It's Luigi's second worst nightmare, right behind Mega Man's lemons. It removes his grab, fireball, and jab game completely. When a trampoline is between the two of you, he's got two options:

Fireball you, which is a free heal with side B. A grounded pellet will also block additional fireballs he throws on the ground. If you're got a Key handy, that's a free punish.

Or

Jump over it with his atrocious air mobility. We have a partially invincible Utilt, disjointed U smash, a quick Fair, good Bair, and a Falconish Uair to challenge him when he jumps over. You can also Fsmash and Ftilt his landings when he jumps over. You can also trampoline his landings if you want with Up B OoS. Or pester him with fruit as he crosses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOjavGWLyp0&list=PLztdJXWbPJJDjIjRZgWQS5Is7wf1DTLdW: this is an old match and I didn't play it optimally, but there are a few points where it comes down to what I described above. What you want to do that I didn't: Keep setting trampolines and forcing Luigi to jump over it. When you knock him offstage, set up traps, not charge fruit. When he is above you, either reset camp with a trampoline or chase him hard with Uair / punish his landings.

You are the one character that can force Luigi to approach from the air. He really does not want that in this game. I think Luigi is a trampoline heavy MU. He's can't catch you very well on whiffs, and it destroys his usual gameplan for most MUs. Abuse it.

Also, I think we all need to learn a balance between edgeguard situations and charging fruit. Charging fruit is good and all, but Luigi lived to 150% or more on most of his stocks. You can KO him faster than that.

When you knock him offstage, I would recommend setting up a jab launched hydrant + trampoline trap on the ledge. Our hydrant is not weak by any means, and lots of characters depend on recovering to the ledge. I think setting edge traps should take priority over charging fruit in edgeguard situations. We can charge fruit whenever in neutral, but we can only set edge traps if we've got them off the ledge.

Or since it's Luigi, jump down there and harass him. Missile is a very punishable recovery. Our hydrant can beat it, our Bair might beat it, and I'm pretty sure you can jump out in front of him and have Power Pellet meatshield the missile for you. Worst case scenario: he knocks you back towards the stage. Fruit probably clanks with it as well.

Last edited:

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
Is there a reason you're not using trampoline in neutral? It's Luigi's second worst nightmare, right behind Mega Man's lemons. It removes his grab, fireball, and jab game completely. When a trampoline is between the two of you, he's got two options:

Fireball you, which is a free heal with side B. A grounded pellet will also block additional fireballs he throws on the ground. If you're got a Key handy, that's a free punish.

Or

Jump over it with his atrocious air mobility. We have a partially invincible Utilt, disjointed U smash, a quick Fair, good Bair, and a Falconish Uair to challenge him when he jumps over. You can also Fsmash and Ftilt his landings when he jumps over. You can also trampoline his landings if you want with Up B OoS. Or pester him with fruit as he crosses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOjavGWLyp0&list=PLztdJXWbPJJDjIjRZgWQS5Is7wf1DTLdW: this is an old match and I didn't play it optimally, but there are a few points where it comes down to what I described above. What you want to do that I didn't: Keep setting trampolines and forcing Luigi to jump over it. When you knock him offstage, set up traps, not charge fruit. When he is above you, either reset camp with a trampoline or chase him hard with Uair / punish his landings.

You are the one character that can force Luigi to approach from the air. He really does not want that in this game. I think Luigi is a trampoline heavy MU. He's can't catch you very well on whiffs, and it destroys his usual gameplan for most MUs. Abuse it.

Also, I think we all need to learn a balance between edgeguard situations and charging fruit. Charging fruit is good and all, but Luigi lived to 150% on most of his stocks. You can KO him faster than that.

When you knock him offstage, I would recommend setting up a jab launched hydrant + trampoline trap on the ledge. Our hydrant is not weak by any means, and lots of characters depend on recovering to the ledge. I think setting edge traps should take priority over charging fruit in edgeguard situations. We can charge fruit whenever in neutral, but we can only set edge traps if we've got them off the ledge.

Or since it's Luigi, jump down there and harass him. Missile is a very punishable recovery. Our hydrant can beat it, our Bair might beat it, and I'm pretty sure you can jump out in front of him and have Power Pellet meatshield the missile for you. Worst case scenario: he knocks you back towards the stage. Fruit probably clanks with it as well.
Oh man this input seems invaluable.

The trampolene in neutral is something I have not implimented in my game yet. Everytime I've tried it out I've had good results, it just simply not something I've been very congizant of, but I'm understanding now that unless I do it more my playstyle is going to become stale so it'll be one of my main focuses moving forward

And you know I compltely missed that I wasn't endge guarding. This tourney had 3 set ups for 24 people so I couldn't get a single friendly game in after the tourney starte, which sucks because I depend on those to remind me of the things I should be doing. Your definately right that at higher percents I should be edge guading insted of charging my fruit when I've knocked my opponent of stage, its another thing I need to be conginzant of because i've been having trouble killing stronger opponents, in part because I forget to edge guard which sucks because agains most characters I'm pretty confident about my edge guarding skills.

Thanks man, I got a tournament on Saturday I think I cna do well at. I'll keep all this in mind.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496

I happen to have time to do this and you didn't post a twitch link so I can actually watch it, yay!

I want to preface this by saying I definitely see improvement since the last matches you posted! Keep it up! I also don't know this particular MU as well as BSP seems to so I'll leave the MU specific stuff to him (and steal some of that advice for myself).

General good:

-You seem to have pretty good spacing and reads
-You do a good job at landing grabs. Your opponent never seems to expect them.

General bad:

-You still sometime seem to do things without knowing why.
-You sometimes waste time you could be spending setting up, forcing you to avoid the enemy afterwards to achieve the same results.
-You have to learn to SDI Luigi's Down B. It's not easy or consistent, but you can SDI out fairly often if you immediately hold down with the directional stick while mashing down on the C stick.
-Follow up Fair hits! That **** combos into a Nair at almost all %s.

General critique:

-Always FF your Nairs and try to do them closer to the ground. The longer you spend in the air after the Nair hitbox comes out, the more punishable you are.

-Always mash Nair to get out of combos (unless you know the gap is less than 3 frames, in which case UpB works). It does good damage, can kill, and gets you out of a lot. The exception to this is if you know the opponent is trying to bait these options out to punish them.

-You seem to roll and airdodge a lot, especially game 1, but I don't know if you're doing it out of habit or just because he wasn't punishing it. If the former, be aware of that pattern of yours and be ready to mix it up if they catch on. If it's the latter, good ****!

Specifics:

2:36 - UpB after the DA would have caught him.

2:40 - Fair broke the combo, which means Nair could have broken it while doing more damage and sending Luigi far enough to not be able to follow up again.

2:52 - Be VERY careful doing trampoline that high up, especially kind of for no reason with a fire hydrant on stage. If he had been less occupied with hitting the hydrant, he could have run over to punish you and maybe even knock you back into the fire for swag combos.

3:04 - Trampoline OoS gets you out of a lot of pressure situations like this one. It leaves a trampoline behind too which is a plus.

3:07 - There is no reason to air dodge into the ground after you see Luigi get hit. Not only are you wasting time by doing that (could be charging a fruit, pressuring or leaving a trampoline) but you are also showing the Luigi player your "panic habits".

3:46 - You followed your galaga, which was good, but as soon as you got close and could have kept pressure, you seemed to change your mind and go into that skidding animation. All this did was give him your fruit for free; if you are going to throw galaga, make sure you have some sort of plan for it as it is a really easy fruit to regrab if you don't follow behind it.

4:12 - Good read! It's a shame he beat out the melon, but that was a really good idea.

4:44 - I feel like deep down inside we all know SideB is a ****ty offensive move and yet we all seem to try to make it work. We need to, as a community, accept it is really bad as an attack and make some sort of pact to stop using it as such.

6:22 - You gave him Strawberry for free there again. I'm not honestly sure if you could punish him for grabbing it or not, but then maybe you should have held onto it a bit instead.

6:50 - PUNISH THAT ****!!! I think you did this in your last video too; if they hit red trampoline, punish them. I don't care if it's only with a jab combo, that's free damage.

7:08 - Anytime they hit the ground and don't tech Fair at high % or Nair at low %s you can combo into a Fsmash if you buffer it fast enough. Admittedly, this can be hard to spot mid match, but it's good to know that you can.

8:26 - Special cancel into trampoline or grab! He was just standing on you in shield waiting for you to do something he could punish.

8:40 - You kind of gave that galaga away for free and didn't set anything up while he grabbed it either.

9:03 - If you'd done a Nair instead of a Fair you would have hit first, and for more damage. f it will hit, Nair is always better for trades since it's faster, does more damage and has more knockback.

9:52 - You're going into that skid animation a lot; are you trying to do a running shield? If so, then don't let go of the direction you're running in when you press shield. If you hold the direction down the whole time you will never get that skid.

BSP

Smash Legend
Last edited:

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txrfFwrgkZE - game 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JpMWXOx8Xo - game 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHrPUZ1PMhI - game 3

My theory vs. Rosalina put into practice against a non-random player.

This is a top 15 player on Anther's Ladder. As I tried to tell them over at competitive impressions, we don't have to approach Rosalina ever. If she's silly enough to let you get keys, have fun. Dair Luma, abuse Trampoline, don't grab.
You are my hero, man :chuckle:

Firedemon0

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firedemon0
3DS FC
1134-8459-4639
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txrfFwrgkZE - game 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JpMWXOx8Xo - game 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHrPUZ1PMhI - game 3

My theory vs. Rosalina put into practice against a non-random player.

This is a top 15 player on Anther's Ladder. As I tried to tell them over at competitive impressions, we don't have to approach Rosalina ever. If she's silly enough to let you get keys, have fun. Dair Luma, abuse Trampoline, don't grab.
I wanted to add a suggestion, when you use Dair, it puts luma into free fall that rosa cannot cancel and you can actually use nair or Fair at that point. I found that it is safer when Rosalina trying to attack you attacking luma.

BSP

Smash Legend
I wanted to add a suggestion, when you use Dair, it puts luma into free fall that rosa cannot cancel and you can actually use nair or Fair at that point. I found that it is safer when Rosalina trying to attack you attacking luma.
I'm not sure if Nair will keep Luma in tumble after you hit it with Dair. I'm near positive Fair won't, and hitting it with something that doesn't keep it in tumble will save it.

In game 3 you used grab four times. :) Risky.
I know, and I could've lost for it. It's tempting, but don't.

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
My first time on For Glory with Pac-Man:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QD7mW8TQJ_E
I had a lot of errors. For some reason I thought my aerials would hit first, that my fruit would get through the tree, and I also had a lot of misinputs.
Anyone mind critiquing?
Here's my 2 cents:
1. Optimize your punishes (1:00, 2:50, 4:16, 4:22)
2. Plan ahead constantly and work on your setups (1:19 lack of follow up, 2:55 seemingly purposeless hydrant?) and avoid telegraphed hydrants from way up high. You're essentially setting it up for their use.
3. Delay / mix up recoveries to avoid aggressive edguards (2:00, you can actually drop even lower, do a sharp right angle side-B, and still recover)

Poetry in motion

Last edited:

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ
http://www.twitch.tv/mnsmash/b/663757680, match starts at 7:20. It's with live commentary too.

The match was pretty hype, unfortunately there was some stream lag so sorry about that. But it's a solid (albeit early) showcase of lazy fruit, apple especially. Youtube link should hopefully be forthcoming soon.
I can't view the match yet, but why do you like/use lazy fruit?
I enjoy them myself because of the crazy setup potential they have, but why do they meet your preference?

revengeska

Smash Apprentice
I can't view the match yet, but why do you like/use lazy fruit?
I enjoy them myself because of the crazy setup potential they have, but why do they meet your preference?
I like the persistent hotboxes that stay out. It gives you an immediate mobility advantage because now you can move though an area that's not so easy for an opponent to follow. It allows you the option to easily regrab the fruit and either z-drop it or place it again, and that's useful as it cuts down on fruit charging time. The apple has an ideal trajectory to cover aerial approaches, bounces a long time at a good height, and retains kill power, so it's a really fantastic lazy fruit. The apple alone(with hydrant and trampoline) provides a huge number of trapping possibilities, a few of which are on display on the video. Keep in mind I mostly just used the apple with a couple of galaxians thrown in, I feel like I've only scratched the surface.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ
I like the persistent hotboxes that stay out. It gives you an immediate mobility advantage because now you can move though an area that's not so easy for an opponent to follow. It allows you the option to easily regrab the fruit and either z-drop it or place it again, and that's useful as it cuts down on fruit charging time. The apple has an ideal trajectory to cover aerial approaches, bounces a long time at a good height, and retains kill power, so it's a really fantastic lazy fruit. The apple alone(with hydrant and trampoline) provides a huge number of trapping possibilities, a few of which are on display on the video. Keep in mind I mostly just used the apple with a couple of galaxians thrown in, I feel like I've only scratched the surface.
Interesting! Do you think the stage control that they give is good against rush down characters? Or would you use another fruit for them.

revengeska

Smash Apprentice
Interesting! Do you think the stage control that they give is good against rush down characters? Or would you use another fruit for them.
Generally yes, though I'm not sure how well it helps against someone like Sonic. Against Captain Falcon however, with 3111 or perhaps 3112 I think the matchup is probably around 65-35 Pac-man's favor. Set a trampoline for separation and the apple has the perfect trajectory to cover CF's jumps over it. Getting in on Pac here really is an exercise in frustration. It's a case where Pac's traps and setups are especially effective. As long as you have the time to set up, these persistent hotboxes are a real problem vs most rush down characters in general as they rely on great mobility to capitalize on your weaknesses in close quarters, and the fruit flat out take away some options.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ
Generally yes, though I'm not sure how well it helps against someone like Sonic. Against Captain Falcon however, with 3111 or perhaps 3112 I think the matchup is probably around 65-35 Pac-man's favor. Set a trampoline for separation and the apple has the perfect trajectory to cover CF's jumps over it. Getting in on Pac here really is an exercise in frustration. It's a case where Pac's traps and setups are especially effective. As long as you have the time to set up, these persistent hotboxes are a real problem vs most rush down characters in general as they rely on great mobility to capitalize on your weaknesses in close quarters, and the fruit flat out take away some options.
Nice. It's a shame that abadango doesn't like them

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
Those were fun matches to watch. I didn't even realize lazy fruit was so useful, to be honest. I've barely experimented with pac custom moves.

Also, I also wouldn't make so bold as a conjecture that Abadango doesn't like them (unless he actually claimed so) over a more likely reason that they just don't commonly have customs-on tournaments. Even the most recent youtube tourney replays of him just 2 weeks old have no one using customs.

Last edited:

revengeska

Smash Apprentice
Those were fun matches to watch. I didn't even realize lazy fruit was so useful, to be honest. I've barely experimented with pac custom moves.

Also, I also wouldn't make so bold as a conjecture that Abadango doesn't like them (unless he actually claimed so) over a more likely reason that they just don't commonly have customs-on tournaments. Even the most recent youtube tourney replays of him just 2 weeks old have no one using customs.
I talked to him on his stream this morning, he said very directly that he didn't like lazy fruit. I don't think he really liked any of Pac-man's customs except for On Fire hydrant. He seems to really like that custom, and mentioned it specifically when asked which ones he liked.

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
I talked to him on his stream this morning, he said very directly that he didn't like lazy fruit. I don't think he really liked any of Pac-man's customs except for On Fire hydrant. He seems to really like that custom, and mentioned it specifically when asked which ones he liked.
Wow, insight from the master himself. But he didn't say why? I guess we can only speculate, but he does like to use the bell a lot. Does the bell trajectory also change with lazy fruit?

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
I didn't like any of Pacman's fruit customs until I really practiced them and tried them out in tourney. We spend so much time learning the optimal way to use each fruit in the default version that relearning another 8 fruits (none of which have a fruit as good as the default key) just seems sily. I am going to give the Freaky fruit another try, and I've only just been able to impliment the Lazy fruit in my game sucessfully.

I am a big propnent though that we should not look to top players to dictate which customs are worthwhile, the meta game will stagnate that way and we need to remember that these people are just human. They are better in putting things into practice than we are, doesn't mean that they're vision or creativity is any better than ours.

Haven't watched your vid yet, will do so when I get home.

Last edited:

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
Are customs-on tournaments going to be commonplace now?
Yup with Evo being the standard, ufnortunately that isn't necessrily good for Pacman since his customs sets are such a mess right now :rolleyes: and some tournaments will not allow you to upload your own

Last edited:

BSP

Smash Legend
Not necessarily. Evo is doing customs, but I know CEO isn't. I would still expect a mix of both, leaning slightly towards non customs due to ease of access.

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
Not necessarily. Evo is doing customs, but I know CEO isn't. I would still expect a mix of both, leaning slightly towards non customs due to ease of access.
There are very few non-custom weekly in my area at least. I think in the more rural areas(that's where you're from right) you might see more non-custom tournaments due to ease of access like you said.

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
Yup with Evo being the standard, ufnortunately that isn't necessrily good for Pacman since his customs sets are such a mess right now :rolleyes: and some tournaments will not allow you to upload your own
I see. And what exactly do you mean some tourneys will not allow you to upload your own? It's not like any non-gear customs are different from the default on the machine. Or is it more a precautionary measure to ensure your character really isn't equipped with stat items?

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
I see. And what exactly do you mean some tourneys will not allow you to upload your own? It's not like any non-gear customs are different from the default on the machine. Or is it more a precautionary measure to ensure your character really isn't equipped with stat items?
I'm not sure what you mean.

The way it works is that Customs are preset in the tourney, meaning that there are list of cusotms that eah custom tournament already has uploaded t their machine. What I am saying is the Custom sets that are preset for Pacman hollistically suck(people involved in the designing of these sets have now admitted their error) and the way we make up for this is by uploading our own. Some tourneys won't allow us to do that.

I was at a tourney yesterday where the TO didn't know if we were allowed to upload our own customs or not, I suspect I only got a way with it on a technicality and because the top player their argued for it.

I'm travelling to a tourney tomorrow and I don't know if they'll allow me to upload my customs are not. I'm afraid to ask because I don't want a definitive no, instead of cleverly trying to skate away with it like I did yesterday.

BSP

Smash Legend
Do you know about the Custom Moveset Project? http://smashboards.com/threads/offi...ct-summer-2015-edition-evo-sets.395721/unread

The idea is to make running customs logistically possible at larger tournaments. If every entrant could make custom sets before tournaments and change them mid set, the tournament would never finish. The remedy is having 10 preset loadouts agreed upon by the character boards. These 10 are loaded before the tournament and are the only ones competitors can use.

I was at a tourney yesterday where the TO didn't know if we were allowed to upload our own customs or not, I suspect I only got a way with it on a technicality and because the top player their argued for it.

I'm travelling to a tourney tomorrow and I don't know if they'll allow me to upload my customs are not. I'm afraid to ask because I don't want a definitive no, instead of cleverly trying to skate away with it like I did yesterday.
How big is it? Time constraints should be the only reason for being super picky about customs IMO, so if it's a local they should let you. Regional and up, I can see a definitive 'no' being smart.

Last edited:

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
Do you know about the Custom Moveset Project? http://smashboards.com/threads/offi...ct-summer-2015-edition-evo-sets.395721/unread

The idea is to make running customs logistically possible at larger tournaments. If every entrant could make custom sets before tournaments and change them mid set, the tournament would never finish. The remedy is having 10 preset loadouts agreed upon by the character boards. These 10 are loaded before the tournament and are the only ones competitors can use..
I think the idea is much less about saving time(really doesn’t take so long) as it avoiding each TO to have to unlock all the custom sets themselves. Which does take forever.

How big is it? Time constraints should be the only reason for being super picky about customs IMO, so if it's a local they should let you. Regional and up, I can see a definitive 'no' being smart.
Again the issue here is not about saving the tournament time. Some tournaments run the Evo ruleset and the Evo rule set states that only the presets are to be used and no customs are allowed to be uploaded to the system. Some tournaments will adhere to that rule for the purpose of proper practice.

You are correct though that smaller tournaments are more likely to be more flexible about this rule since they have less people who are thinking of attending Evo(on the flip side though you’ll find more people who hate customs and will try to hinder your custom any chance they get.

And its probably the biggest weekly in New Jersey at the moment.

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
My misunderstanding stemmed from not being aware of the custom moveset project at all. Thanks for clearing that up. I'm sure arguments from both sides have been beaten to death by this point, but I don't see the glaring issue with being able to upload your own if you have them ready.

Last edited:

BSP

Smash Legend
I think the idea is much less about saving time(really doesn’t take so long) as it avoiding each TO to have to unlock all the custom sets themselves. Which does take forever.
Oh yeah, I forgot about this. It is excruciating.

I hope they let you upload.

Top Bottom