• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Video & Critique Thread

PEPESPAIN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PEPESPAIN
3DS FC
1306-8476-2667
And Let's see what can we do with the key!

COLINBG

Smash Journeyman
NNID
COLINBG
3DS FC
3067-5729-5039
And Let's see what can we do with the key!
You showcase well the different possibilities Z-Dropping offers, and it's definitely something a Pac Main should be able to do consistantly.

I have a question on the video itself though; since you wanted to showcase Z-Dropping, you used it a lot, and hardly went for any other options. I understand you can't use A moves because it will just throw the Key, but doesn't it become predictable? The Kirby kept getting hit by a lot of the drops and you were not punished for it; is it just because he wasn't adapting like he should've, or is it really THAT safe to do?

Sorry if the answer seems obvious, but I don't use Z-Dropping nearly as much as I should, so I'm not exactly sure about things like that.

PEPESPAIN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PEPESPAIN
3DS FC
1306-8476-2667
You can use the aerials like you saw in the video. You can ftilt and fsmash too, I think that a good zdrop game will help pacman a lot, I'm just starting to train it. I think that we are in the beginning of something with this...

A lot of people asked me what to do with the key and I did a video to show some tricks.

Funkermonster

The Clown
NNID
Funkermonster
3DS FC
3308-4834-0412
A game I had on stream yesterday against a real good Shulk, probably the best Shulk in my state. Sadly, this was the only game I won and didn't survive in the tournament long enough to have another match recorded. I haven't played the game in two weeks ever since my mom took it, so I think I've been a little rusty this time and I want advice on what I could do better next time. National coming in 2 weeks from now, I'm probably gonna use mostly Greninja but just in case, I could end up using Pac at least once. http://www.twitch.tv/gamingzoneaz/b/645814173 Game is at 3:30:45. I used Greninja (the character I actually main) the previous match, but if yo watch that one anyway, you could probably still criticize me with Non-Pac-Man-specific stuff. This match in particular hyped up the crowd quite a bit while we were playing, I almost died and my opponent had a long lead in terms of damage but I somehow managed to take his second stock and win the game. Custom moves were used: I had On-Fire Hydrant and Meteor Trampoline, my opponent had the Hyper Monado Arts and the Power Counter.

If you wanna see more Pac-Man, there's another match right afterwards with another player named RaveRemix (cool name too) who really mains him and is probably better at Pac-Man than I am if you wanna see someone more skilled. I think he's got a bit to learn though, I've fought him before and found his gameplay to be a little predictable with habits that are kinda easy to catch onto. Maybe you can critique him too so I can tell him that the next time I see him? I like helping people in my scene out a little bit haha.

Last edited:

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
You can use the aerials like you saw in the video. You can ftilt and fsmash too, I think that a good zdrop game will help pacman a lot, I'm just starting to train it. I think that we are in the beginning of something with this...

A lot of people asked me what to do with the key and I did a video to show some tricks.
I really like the control you have over your items, and I do agree with you about Z-drops being the future. However, I don't think they are as good alone as they are when mixed with hydrant and trampoline.
A few examples (I've mentioned some of these before):

- Z-drop strawberry with a trampoline next to you, then regrab with Bair to also hit the opponent when they bounce off of the trampoline.

- Place a hydrant, walk off of it, then DJ and Z-drop. The water will gush the fruit (The angle will depend on whether it was bouncing up off of the ground or falling) while still active and you just gave yourself an assist to amplify your pressure or combo off of. With fruits that bounce up off of shields like the Strawberry, Melon or Apple, you can hit the opponent's shield, watch the fruit follow behind you to make you safe and hit their shield, then jump to regrab and instant drop the fruit for even more shield pressure.

- Z-drop a fruit that does 7% or more then drop a hydrant on it. Stand on the hydrant when you regrab it to force the water blast to shoot up. Z-drop the fruit on the water blast then rush down recklessly and make the hydrant no longer show up on screen. When the fruit comes back down it will launch the hydrant, giving you a delayed reaction trap that the opponent won't be able to see coming (Literally) and can punish whatever unsafe action the opponent thought you performed.

- Z-drop a fruit that does 7% or more then drop a hydrant on it. Instant redrop the fruit to immediately launch the hydrant. The speed that this happens at is only slightly slower than doing it with the key.

- Place a hydrant. Wait a very small amount of time (This will require lab time to find the right timing) then SH in place and Z-drop a fruit. Make sure you are facing away from the direction you are trying to send projectiles.
If you time this right, the fruit will hit the hydrant, then bounce down to get launched by a water blast. While this is happening walk off of the hydrant and Bair. What this does is throw 2 projectiles back to back across the screen which can combo into each other depending on % and which fruit you're using. The fruit will fly out first, and if they try to airdodge to grab it the hydrant will punish them.

The possibilities with this character are endless.

________

A game I had on stream yesterday against a real good Shulk, probably the best Shulk in my state. Sadly, this was the only game I won and didn't survive in the tournament long enough to have another match recorded. I haven't played the game in two weeks ever since my mom took it, so I think I've been a little rusty this time and I want advice on what I could do better next time. National coming in 2 weeks from now, I'm probably gonna use mostly Greninja but just in case, I could end up using Pac at least once. http://www.twitch.tv/gamingzoneaz/b/645814173 Game is at 3:30:45. I used Greninja (the character I actually main) the previous match, but if yo watch that one anyway, you could probably still criticize me with Non-Pac-Man-specific stuff. This match in particular hyped up the crowd quite a bit while we were playing, I almost died and my opponent had a long lead in terms of damage but I somehow managed to take his second stock and win the game. Custom moves were used: I had On-Fire Hydrant and Meteor Trampoline, my opponent had the Hyper Monado Arts and the Power Counter.

If you wanna see more Pac-Man, there's another match right afterwards with another player named RaveRemix (cool name too) who really mains him and is probably better at Pac-Man than I am if you wanna see someone more skilled. I think he's got a bit to learn though, I've fought him before and found his gameplay to be a little predictable with habits that are kinda easy to catch onto. Maybe you can critique him too so I can tell him that the next time I see him? I like helping people in my scene out a little bit haha.

While I watched the Greninja match, I was too busy getting annoyed at all of the custom jankiness to say much about it.

Okay, as for your Pacman match, the things you did very well:

-Great use of Lylat's tilts to regrab fruits.
-Good use of grab.
-I like the way you used Fair.
-Z-drop goodness
-I saw you use UpB OoS. Good man, good man.

The things to work on:

-Approaching with Dash attack got you punished once or twice.
-If you think he's coming at you for a grab (He killed you twice in the set with this), trampoline Out of Shield. You will break the grab if you time it right.
-Apple is a great kill move at higher %s and it goes at a weird, but useful angle. Don't be afraid to use it, especially since fruits don't stale. On Lylat especially, it's bounces can be deceiving.
-Keep in mind you can't regrab a fruit if you throw it a second time. I saw you give up edgeguard options to chase a cherry you couldn't regrab anyway around the 3:33:00 mark.
-Speaking of edgeguard options, bouncing hydrants make for EXCELLENT ledge traps, especially with a trampoline added into the mix.
-Make sure to take advantage of openings. You rolled away when he got rooted by the meteor trampoline once and another time stayed in shield while he was in untechable knockdown next to you.

_________

For Rave's matches, the things he does well:

-He is very good at frustrating his opponents and guessing when they are going to approach and how.
-He is good at baiting with the hydrant then punishing his opponent for attempting to take control of it.
-Very evasive

The things he needs to work on:

-Rolls WAAAAAAY too much. If the Ganon player had started using options that punished rolls, then Rave would have gotten demolished (By the way, tell that Ganon player that if he's going to play a read-based character, he has to take risks and attempt reads. If you see your opponent keeps rolling away from you, down B, choke or DA to cover the roll option. If he rolls towards you a lot, then choke behind you or pivot Ftilt.)

-Seems to only have one playstyle from what I saw, and it is not a hard one to counter as he seems to have no defensive options except to roll, and no offensive options other than throwing fruit or smashes. He needs to use his other tools. That said, he may have just been doing that because it was working on that opponent. I couldn't find any other match of his, so if that is why he was playing like that, then ignore this.

-Very predictable with hydrant placements. Every single time he placed it he would double jump forward, then drop it, to the point where it might as well have been a SP game boss pattern. He got punished several times for this yet kept doing it. You control where and when the hydrant goes down; don't squander that advantage by throwing it in a patterned way.

-Be careful with that grab. While at first he was doing good at grabbing an opponent out of dash up shield, the opponent adapted and Rave didn't, getting him punished several times game 2.

Last edited:

PEPESPAIN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PEPESPAIN
3DS FC
1306-8476-2667
If you keep posting this great stuff I just might need to make a section of this thread just for your videos. Great stuff.
Costlow ---> You forgot to add Uturn Pellet, bonus fruit glitch , sideB tricks and instasuicide glitch on the first post!!!!

I have like 4 more videos almost finished.

Last edited:

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
It's mislabeled, but here's the set I played this Wednesday against the Pika/ZSS player that until now always beats me.

https://youtu.be/Ni8ppA6nJHU

Feedback is more than welcome, especially against ZSS. While I can see some of the things I did right/wrong, there are others that I'm sure you guys can point out for me.

Thanks in advance!
You played phenomenally against that pika, man. Awesome traps.

Unfortunately I can't give many tips on ZSS because that character is my personal counter.
@Kool Aid saw my struggle

Nairo's ZSS always forces me on the defensive...then it's checkmate from there. I can't even get creative with my tools if he's on top of me :(

Do you guys have any tips for the ZSS matchup?

Last edited:

CostLow

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2509-2293-9367
Costlow ---> You forgot to add Uturn Pellet, bonus fruit glitch , sideB tricks and instasuicide glitch on the first post!!!!

I have like 4 more videos almost finished.

Just let me know when they're done. Also, I did go ahead and create a category just for your videos. Will you let me know if I missed any? I'll add the links later when I get a little more time.

Firedemon0

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firedemon0
3DS FC
1134-8459-4639
Hey I played a few friendlies with him today. He is definitely good and beat me up a bit. I did get the replays and I was again trying to show our options in the matchup. I will post them later this week. I did lose more then I won, but that is more because of my own limits and less of the character. I spooked him a bit after halberd and he changed up his strat better then I could. I still lean towards 60:40.

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
A few tings to pre empt this. Despite that I lost my only two matces on stream I actually did wel this tournament. I went 5 - 2 and I got 5th overall.

I'd like some pointers for what I can do better, but I do understand that Diddy is a poorly designed character and Pacman may just not have an answer for him, and also that a new balance patch is coing out soon which is likely enough to nerf Diddy so much that he is not a major problem anymore. Anyways with that let me know what you guys think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-WBpxnLUnzM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNlze_cbm0c

This was my first tournament trying out Pacman customs btw.

Last edited:

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ
C'mon guys help me out
Wayyyyyy too many rolls and air dodges. Sometimes you would just float in the air and not react after getting hit back. Try to regain for footing and throw out fairs to prevent an easy follow up for the opponent.
I also request SH instead of rolls for movement and repositioning.

The diddy players just seemed to overwhelm you as well. Pac-man has plenty of tools to deal with Diddy such as on stage trampoline to mess up his approach (don't atand right next to the trampoline though because he can F-Air you), his grab, and hydrant to stop his up air.

I also didn't see you utilizing each fruit to their maximum potential. The melon is awesome for helping you approach, and the strawberry/cherry can stop diddy's approach. You don't want to use the bell unless you can get a follow up afterwards and if they are in the air after getting hit by the bell, you can footstool them into fsmash.

I suggest that you stay mobile with your fruit and refrain from being stagnant while throwing them. This is why keitaro kept catching them, because he saw it coming and just powershielded them.

Just work on your fundamentals a bit more, and learn some more techniques for Pac-Man to expand your options.

Here is a good video to watch for Pac-Man traps and techniques:
http://youtu.be/kLCNpw4Jo0Y

Last edited:

PEPESPAIN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PEPESPAIN
3DS FC
1306-8476-2667
Wayyyyyy too many rolls and air dodges. Sometimes you would just float in the air and not react after getting hit back. Try to regain for footing and throw out fairs to prevent an easy follow up for the opponent.
I also request SH instead of rolls for movement and repositioning.

The diddy players just seemed to overwhelm you as well. Pac-man has plenty of tools to deal with Diddy such as on stage trampoline to mess up his approach (don't atand right next to the trampoline though because he can F-Air you)and grab, and hydrant to stop his up air.

I also didn't see you utilizing each fruit to their maximum potential. The melon is awesome for helping you approach, and the strawberry/cherry can stop diddy's approach. You don't want to use the bell unless you can get a follow up afterwards and if they are in the air after getting hit by the bell, you can footstool them into fsmash.

I suggest that you stay mobile with your fruit and refrain from being stagnant while throwing them. This is why keitaro kept catching them, because he saw it coming and just powershielded them.

Just work on your fundamentals a bit more, and learn some more techniques for Pac-Man to expand your options.

Here is a good video to watch for Pac-Man traps and techniques:
http://youtu.be/kLCNpw4Jo0Y

I'm 100% agree

PEPESPAIN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PEPESPAIN
3DS FC
1306-8476-2667
I'll see this tonight....

This is my gift to PACMAN Boards: Hydrant glitch EXPOSED!

I want to know if someone tried this and he could perform this tech. Leave your comments here!!!

Is it well explained? Will you change anything in the video?

Last edited:

Firedemon0

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Firedemon0
3DS FC
1134-8459-4639
I want to know if someone tried this and he could perform this tech. Leave your comments here!!!

Is it well explained? Will you change anything in the video?
I was able to do it previously, but you nailed it honestly. I would say my only critique is the name of the tech itself, I thought on it a bit, and Hydrant Platform sounds like standing on the hydrant.

I also thought about why it only works with aerials, and I think it has to do with the buffering that occurs after you do the fast fall, and how you are not quite yet in a fully neutral state after the aerial. Also, how they coded the stages, silly Mash potato samurai.

PEPESPAIN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PEPESPAIN
3DS FC
1306-8476-2667
You can do it from neutral state but it is really really hard. A guy said that he did but it is easier to do after an aerial. I have never done it from neutral state.

Thanks for your comments!

BSP

Smash Legend
http://www.twitch.tv/lsusmash/b/648715998

I have matches at 9:48 vs Marth and ROB
around 1:00:20 vs Villager
around 1:18:19 vs Yoshi
and around 1:50:00ish vs Mario

Jonathan (Villager) was the only one who has fought my Pac-Man before, so low MU experience all around, but that's nothing new. People will learn to learn this character soon.

All advice is appreciated as usual, especially any for how to KO earlier. I need to work on my bell game a lot, because I wasn't sure what to do with it at all times. Kool Aid seems to plant a hydrant and gush the bell from a downwards toss while grounded. I went to training mode and saw that with a bell in hand, hydrant -> run off and throw bell up will set up a gushed bell behind Pac-Man to cover whatever he wants to do. If they get hit by the bell and you aren't occupied, you can set up a side B to hit them from the bell's knockback for a KO, or smash them.

Then again, I could just hold onto the bell and keep it as a deadly OOS option that confirms into Smashes. Even when we're holding it, we can still beat shields with Trampoline.

Against people who see this coming, the most likely response will be shield. This should give us a grab, and while it may not KO, we can throw them offstage and either charge another bell to do it again or set a ledge trap. If you get the grab fast enough, you can Bthrow them into the Bell and still get the stun. Then you can possibly get a smash or a partially extended Side B on them.

Vs Mario: I was respecting Mario's fireballs a bit too much, and my side B'ing could be better. Pac-Man has virtually no lag after the pellet has been struck, so I need to get better at it. When Mario is facing you, he can't do much because Fair is slow and nothing else has much forward range, at least nothing comparable to our fair or bair. With the way he was shooting FBs, I should've forgone charging fruit and RAR bairs or something because Mario has a pretty good amount of cooldown from fireballs. I also get hit by falling dair, which should not happen. Fully shield it and the grounded hit before Nairing OOS or Trampolining.

I remember missing a B reverse Apple on Boxing Ring that may have been the game, then I AD'd into my hydrant for my own stock >.> Don't do that. If our own hydrant is coming at us, Nair, Bair, and Uair can cancel it out.

With planted hydrants, most Mario players will cape it even if it's stationary on the ground. When I played with Zage, I found that if I did this and he hit the hydrant after I caped it, Mario would still get hit, so we've got that on our side.

Using hydrant as bait for Apple is really effective.

Something I haven't considered as a possible edgeguard is using Dair to trade for people's double jumps. @ fromundaman fromundaman mentioned this for forcing people into red trampolines, so I don't see why it couldn't work for people that want to recover low. Since only the final hit has knockback, this is an awful trade for the recovering opponent.

Vs Villager: Twitch lags for me so I can't watch the match right now, but I don't remember anything too crazy happening. He showed me that if Lloid Rocket is moving and a Key hits it, Key will get cancelled out. However, if Villager sets a Lloid Rocket and you hit it with a Key before it starts moving, it'll blowup in Villager's face and your Key will hit. Also, if you ever grab villager with a Lloid Rocket on top of you, Dthrow.

Vs Yoshi: just the usual Yoshi stuff with his insane DPS. Don't be dumb and eat Dairs like I did. Tech grounded fairs too, or you'll end up getting KO'd like I did. With the way he was Usmashing my hydrants, I should've fallen to the side he was on and thrown apples at him for doing so.

Vs Marth and ROB: I was the better player in the match so not that much to glean. Got a nice hydrant snipe though. I also got an optimal followup from a missed tech on Dthrow. Dthrow -> Fair -> Hydrant -> Bair, which is about 35%. Actually, now that I think about it, we could probably get more with a Galaxian or a Key ready after the hydrant drop.

Last edited:

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Here are the matches I lost on Wednesday:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLMdwNx6LkCU2VZEpnvnTQKvR2nyxTWxxX

As always, while I have seen and taken a lot of my mistakes into training mode, I appreciate any feedback.

Also, if you are reading this go into training mode and practice teching flame choke offline. That knowledge changes the MU completely, and that lack of knowledge was part of what got me wrecked.

PEPESPAIN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PEPESPAIN
3DS FC
1306-8476-2667
Hydrant Platform and Hydrant Platform Exposed are the same video, remove one of them!

PEPESPAIN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PEPESPAIN
3DS FC
1306-8476-2667
Here are the matches I lost on Wednesday:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLMdwNx6LkCU2VZEpnvnTQKvR2nyxTWxxX

As always, while I have seen and taken a lot of my mistakes into training mode, I appreciate any feedback.

Also, if you are reading this go into training mode and practice teching flame choke offline. That knowledge changes the MU completely, and that lack of knowledge was part of what got me wrecked.
I saw the matches and you played really well.

0:25 -> Don't shield at top of the hydrant, it is a really bad idea. (Sometimes I do the same)
0:33 I really liked this
0:35 Why do you do an empty fair?
1:23 Don't attack Bowser from air when he is doing an Usmash, he has invencible frames like G&W, Mario & Wiifit Trainer
1:48 Utilt -> Uair -> Bair Better than Utilt -> Bair, sometimes I do Uair x 2 and then Bair. Or Utilt -> uair -> fast fall -> Utilt -> Uair -> Bair: Look here : https://youtu.be/QE2KcKONrCU?t=3m26s I know it is x2 faster but you can see Utilt -> Uair -> Fair
1:53 another empty fair. Any reason?
1:57 Fair..
2:18 Liked this, a LOT
1:35 Fair -> Fsmash when he bounces on the ground or Usmash but I think it is harder to perform
2:33 Roll and punish!
2:36 Say hello :p
3:08 Fair..
3:10 Landed Fair
3:18 That was a telegraphed grab, I do the same sometimes and It is really a bad idea.
3:40 More than 60% grab is forbidden

I think that's all. You PACMAN is better than mine you played really well, you only need to work out on 2 or 3 things. Try to Fair-> FastFall-> Jump (Before Touching the ground) -> Nair . It works really , really well.

I hope that helps

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Thanks for the feedback! I definitely need to work on some of this.

I only recently started messing with Utilt combos; can I follow it up with Uair if they DI behind me like in that match? I know that if they DI in front Pacman can pretend to be Mario and do Utiltx2>Uairx2 to heavies, and depending on the DI there are other potential follow ups after that.

Not really sure what I have on light weights or mid weights though, nor am I too familiar with how DI changes these combos. I'm stealing the Utilt>Uair>Fair though. Can you throw a Nair (Or if low to the ground, a grab/Ftilt/jab) after the Fair by any chance?

The reasons for the empty Fairs btw are:

A) Spacing purposes. It throws out a safe hitbox and forces the opponent to think about how/when to come in.

B) Baits. A SH Fair can't be punished on whiff if you retreat with it, but many will attempt to, which gives me free punish opportunities.

C) Mindgame potential. If the opponent gets used to seeing whiffed SH Fairs, they won't suspect it when I use one to set up a hydrant through a platform. If I jump towards them, they will also usually expect a Fair since that's what they see all game, and not an empty jump into whatever.

The Fast falled Fairs off of hydrants are a mix of a missed input and the fact that the Bowser player is my roommate and he usually dashes into the hydrant to try and take control of it, so I try to run off Nair to beat that (I use C-stick for the Nair in this case to keep horizontal movement), but I accidentally did Fair.

EDIT:

http://www.twitch.tv/lsusmash/b/648715998

I have matches at 9:48 vs Marth and ROB
around 1:00:20 vs Villager
around 1:18:19 vs Yoshi
and around 1:50:00ish vs Mario

Jonathan (Villager) was the only one who has fought my Pac-Man before, so low MU experience all around, but that's nothing new. People will learn to learn this character soon.

All advice is appreciated as usual, especially any for how to KO earlier. I need to work on my bell game a lot, because I wasn't sure what to do with it at all times. Kool Aid seems to plant a hydrant and gush the bell from a downwards toss while grounded. I went to training mode and saw that with a bell in hand, hydrant -> run off and throw bell up will set up a gushed bell behind Pac-Man to cover whatever he wants to do. If they get hit by the bell and you aren't occupied, you can set up a side B to hit them from the bell's knockback for a KO, or smash them.

Then again, I could just hold onto the bell and keep it as a deadly OOS option that confirms into Smashes. Even when we're holding it, we can still beat shields with Trampoline.

Against people who see this coming, the most likely response will be shield. This should give us a grab, and while it may not KO, we can throw them offstage and either charge another bell to do it again or set a ledge trap. If you get the grab fast enough, you can Bthrow them into the Bell and still get the stun. Then you can possibly get a smash or a partially extended Side B on them.

Vs Mario: I was respecting Mario's fireballs a bit too much, and my side B'ing could be better. Pac-Man has virtually no lag after the pellet has been struck, so I need to get better at it. When Mario is facing you, he can't do much because Fair is slow and nothing else has much forward range, at least nothing comparable to our fair or bair. With the way he was shooting FBs, I should've forgone charging fruit and RAR bairs or something because Mario has a pretty good amount of cooldown from fireballs. I also get hit by falling dair, which should not happen. Fully shield it and the grounded hit before Nairing OOS or Trampolining.

I remember missing a B reverse Apple on Boxing Ring that may have been the game, then I AD'd into my hydrant for my own stock >.> Don't do that. If our own hydrant is coming at us, Nair, Bair, and Uair can cancel it out.

With planted hydrants, most Mario players will cape it even if it's stationary on the ground. When I played with Zage, I found that if I did this and he hit the hydrant after I caped it, Mario would still get hit, so we've got that on our side.

Using hydrant as bait for Apple is really effective.

Something I haven't considered as a possible edgeguard is using Dair to trade for people's double jumps. @ fromundaman fromundaman mentioned this for forcing people into red trampolines, so I don't see why it couldn't work for people that want to recover low. Since only the final hit has knockback, this is an awful trade for the recovering opponent.

Vs Villager: Twitch lags for me so I can't watch the match right now, but I don't remember anything too crazy happening. He showed me that if Lloid Rocket is moving and a Key hits it, Key will get cancelled out. However, if Villager sets a Lloid Rocket and you hit it with a Key before it starts moving, it'll blowup in Villager's face and your Key will hit. Also, if you ever grab villager with a Lloid Rocket on top of you, Dthrow.

Vs Yoshi: just the usual Yoshi stuff with his insane DPS. Don't be dumb and eat Dairs like I did. Tech grounded fairs too, or you'll end up getting KO'd like I did. With the way he was Usmashing my hydrants, I should've fallen to the side he was on and thrown apples at him for doing so.

Vs Marth and ROB: I was the better player in the match so not that much to glean. Got a nice hydrant snipe though. I also got an optimal followup from a missed tech on Dthrow. Dthrow -> Fair -> Hydrant -> Bair, which is about 35%. Actually, now that I think about it, we could probably get more with a Galaxian or a Key ready after the hydrant drop.
I'm starting to watch this now, and will try to get some feedback after work tonight. That said, these commentators are not hype enough about the **** you are doing!

Last edited:

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ
http://youtu.be/w_m0zedBGGU
Abadango vs ??? (It's all in Japanese)

For a high level player, Abadango sure does roll and air dodge a lot. I think it's his worst habit.
His gameplay is also starting to bore me a bit...it's fairly linear

Set up hydrant as wall....charge fruit...throw fruit...wait...
Lather, rinse, repeat.

He's still an excellent player, but I really feel that he needs to mix it up more and play a bit more aggressive. Pac-Man can't only play defensive and expect to win.
It seems like he made this match a lot harder and longer than it needed to be with the amount of passiveness in his gameplay.

CMRaptor

Smash Rookie
NNID
cmeinhardt
http://youtu.be/w_m0zedBGGU
Abadango vs ??? (It's all in Japanese)

For a high level player, Abadango sure does roll and air dodge a lot. I think it's his worst habit.
His gameplay is also starting to bore me a bit...it's fairly linear

Set up hydrant as wall....charge fruit...throw fruit...wait...
Lather, rinse, repeat.

He's still an excellent player, but I really feel that he needs to mix it up more and play a bit more aggressive. Pac-Man can't only play defensive and expect to win.
It seems like he made this match a lot harder and longer than it needed to be with the amount of passiveness in his gameplay.
Its kinda interesting that he counter picked BF, I usually try to avoid that stage lol. But at least I saw when he used dair to stage spike. It would be a harder move to tech since its a multi hit move.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xYlQbRglek

Made a part 2 to my first KO video since the patch is more than likely going to corrupt our replays. I kind of wish I had a capture card so I don't have to do potato quality videos but at the same time I don't record enough nor do I want to drop money on one LOL
I'm stealing that last one. I was using this set up but doing Hydrant after the FS. Problem was then I had to guess which side they launched on to re-hit with the bell, and I didn't get a good finisher. Your version seems to solve both of those issues.

PEPESPAIN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PEPESPAIN
3DS FC
1306-8476-2667
Here the Losers semifinal from the tournament I played this weekend:

Comments appreciated

Last edited:

PEPESPAIN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PEPESPAIN
3DS FC
1306-8476-2667
I will appreciate tips about my pacman style.

I know 2 big mistakes on my pacman gameplay:
I roll too much.
I don't bonus fruit cancel correctly yet.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Here the Losers semifinal from the tournament I played this weekend:

Comments appreciated
Villager match tips:

-He rolled through you nonstop. Be ready to punish with Nair or Dair OoS. I saw you do it a few times, but it looked like you assumed after a few punishes he would stop and weren't ready for the next set of rolls. By the end of game 2, you could have probably punished with Dsmash seeing how predictably he was rolling.

- I know Villager's grab is ass-tastic, but I'm 90% certain it will punish the smash attacks he was throwing at your shield with Fox, and I believe you have a kill throw right?

-Don't get too greedy for kills. This didn't seem to be a big issue with Pacman but with Villager you almost threw away game 1 and did give game 2 because around kill % you abandoned your successful strategy and started whiffing smash attacks everywhere.

For the Pacman matches:

-I really like the Fair>DJ Nair, but be careful. If the Fox had caught on, he could have punished your landing after shielding the Nair with a Usmash.

-10:55 That was sick. I am stealing the **** out of that.

-12:25 Punish that ****! Bair him. He is wide open after hitting your hydrant.

-Great job punishing with Nair.

-12:46 DA hits below the ledge? I'm stealing that too.

-12:50 to 12:53 Everything during these 3 seconds would be punished by UpB OoS.

-13:10 Mmmmhmmm... Now I'm erect.

-13:40 Whew... good thing he didn't go steal your jump. Had you already used your jump and pellet?

-13:50 Nice trampoline!

-14:00 You just did the same thing I do way too much. You got too invested in your setup/gimmick (In this case, regrabbing the fruit over and over) that you gave up a punish. If you had let Galaga go back down, the second hit would have hit fox and comboed into a DA/Grab/Fair/Nair.

Actually watching ahead, you actually land Galaga multiple times and opt to regrab it instead of going for a combo every time. Is there a reason to this? The opponent always eventually catches on to the Z-drops. so I would suggest taking the free damage when it's there.

14:25 I don't even need to say it do I? Bair to punish him hitting your hydrant. Nair is a great punisher, but it has no range, making it mediocre at best for punishing someone launching the hydrant as it risks getting caught in the attack. FF bair is perfect for that situation though.

14:58 Failed B-reverse I take it? B-reverse Key is super weird to time IMO. I take it into the lab at least once a week to not lose the timing.

-The turnaround side B on the Hydrant... It never worked. Not once. It got super hard punished 2-3 times, including once where it cost you a stock.
This gimmick was good in 3DS, but it's too unsafe to survive now. I honestly think that one needs to be dropped.

Good stuff though. What did you end up placing?

Last edited:

PEPESPAIN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PEPESPAIN
3DS FC
1306-8476-2667
Thanks for you comments, I will try to work out some of my mistakes.

I placed 2nd, I was pwned on the final by a fox, 3 - 0

"14:58 Failed B-reverse I take it?" - Yes I failed it a lot of times on the tournament :/

"I honestly think that one needs to be dropped." I think you are right, maybe as a combo extender or smt, but I failed too much

"Is there a reason to this?" I didn't want to throw the galaga yet....

"I would suggest taking the free damage when it's there." 100% agree

BSP

Smash Legend
I will appreciate tips about my pacman style.

I know 2 big mistakes on my pacman gameplay:
I roll too much.
I don't bonus fruit cancel correctly yet.
Vs Fox, when he is below the stage and using Fire Fox, stop whatever you're doing and go down there to harass him. He's super vulnerable during up B and you need to capitalize on that. Charging Fruit and setting up is great, but KO'ing them is even better.

When you whiffed SH bairs, you fast falled to the ground. I'm not 100% sure, but it might be safer to let the animation play out and buffer a double jump for when Pac-Man is done. That way you're still moving and you can airdodge and do something afterwards.

Fromundaman pointed this out too: don't get too caught up with what you're doing to miss % and edgeguards. Make sure your opponent is always priority #1.

Hard wire yourself to up B whenever someone is on top of you. They basically can't do anything to avoid getting hit.

I would lay off of going for Dsmash after Dthrow. The only way that's hitting is if they roll into you, and you're stuck there. I recommended running after them and going for trampoline or a Fair for a possible lock.

I wouldn't use Side B except to heal, trying to catch someone landing without a double jump, or if you're trying to confirm off of a bell hit. It's too risky and telegraphed.

Overall good stuff though. That Z drop key -> Nair was beautiful.

Last edited:

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Speaking of that Z-drop key into Nair, are you using custom controls to pull that off? It seems ridiculously hard to do OoS the way you did.

MachoCheeze

Smash Journeyman
NNID
MachoCheeze
Here are the videos from High Elevation 2 I was talking about! Critique would be awesome!

NOTE: these were recorded during patch 1.0.5.

MachoCheeze :4pacman: vs. Jeist :4zss:/:4robinm:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEe22eSWGM4

MachoCheeze :4pacman: vs. TimKO :4larry:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJ0r5pNb5II

MachoCheeze :4pacman: vs. Beegs :4myfriends:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4oL_dl7uDA

MachoCheeze :4pacman:/:4charizard: vs. Ryan :4charizard:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TY92-q_ESOA

Hope everyone enjoys! :D The Charizard ditto was for fun lol. I knew I was getting out of pools and the crowd wanted it cause they knew Zard was my secondary at one point.

Also the sound desyncs at some points in the videos to be aware of that.

Last edited:

PEPESPAIN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PEPESPAIN
3DS FC
1306-8476-2667
More replays from the tournament:

Grand Final:

Loosers Final:

Winners semifinal:

As always I will appreciate your comments about good things and mistakes of my matches. That would help to improve my game. I know that I'm not good enought but I'm trying to improve.

I play better with Villager than PACMAN but in spain there are a lot of villagers and nobody plays PACMAN . I'm switching to PACMAN as main, and villager will be my second.

Last edited:

PEPESPAIN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PEPESPAIN
3DS FC
1306-8476-2667
Speaking of that Z-drop key into Nair, are you using custom controls to pull that off? It seems ridiculously hard to do OoS the way you did.
Yes. I have custom controls.

Y -> Jump
X -> Grab
Z -> Special now ( Attack on the tournament to attack while holding an item but with the new patch that's useless) I want to use it to OoS UpB
cstick -> Smash
R -> Jump
L -> Shield

To OoS Nair key yo have to :

L (Holding) -> Y X A almost same time. It is like doing a circle

COLINBG

Smash Journeyman
NNID
COLINBG
3DS FC
3067-5729-5039
@ PEPESPAIN PEPESPAIN

I only watched the Grand Final, but I loved it. Great games and great play from both sides.

You used your aerials well (Fair and Nair in particular). Just be careful because you got punished a couple of times for your Nairs.

If you charge a fruit and Fox is running towards you, you seem to throw the fruit out a lot. Sometimes, shielding and keeping the fruit for later might be a better idea. It's good to mix it up, and you don't end up wasting fruits on shield, or worse, him catching/reflecting it because he caught on the habbit.

I would've loved to see a little more on stage trampoline too. It's an amazing wall and I think it would've been helpful againt fox.

I'm saying all this, but overall your Pacman is looking good though.

Last edited:
Top Bottom