• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Video & Critique Thread

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
My misunderstanding stemmed from not being aware of the custom moveset project at all. Thanks for clearing that up. I'm sure arguments from both sides have been beaten to death by this point, but I don't see the glaring issue with being able to upload your own if you have them ready.
Well I think the reason Evo made that rule is because of their ignorance. Remember they are not a part of the smash community and I suspect they thought it was possible to get a virus or bug on the WiiU if you allow uploading of customs much like a USB upload onto a computer, also I don't think their aware that the 10th and 9th preset are the worst ones which are there to be overridden if you have a different custom you would like to use.

And tournaments adopt Evo's rule so that players can practice for Evo using the exact same rule set.
Oh yeah, I forgot about this. It is excruciating.

I hope they let you upload.
I've decided that I'm going ask them about it ahead of time. No way I'm travelling that far without knowing the rules. It'll just screw my mindset and gameplay up if they tell me I can't upload it anyways.

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
Well I think the reason Evo made that rule is because of their ignorance. Remember they are not a part of the smash community and I suspect they thought it was possible to get a virus or bug on the WiiU if you allow uploading of customs much like a USB upload onto a computer, also I don't think their aware that the 10th and 9th preset are the worst ones which are there to be overridden if you have a different custom you would like to use.

And tournaments adopt Evo's rule so that players can practice for Evo using the exact same rule set.

I've decided that I'm going ask them about it ahead of time. No way I'm travelling that far without knowing the rules. It'll just screw my mindset and gameplay up if they tell me I can't upload it anyways.
That might be best. If you are practicing for EVO may as well do it the approved, albeit painful, way. :/

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
That might be best. If you are practicing for EVO may as well do it the approved, albeit painful, way. :/
Well it woudn't be so awful if the presets for Pacman were so damned misguided :glare:. I have grown to like the guy but you can thank Pacman9 and his friends for that.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
Well it woudn't be so awful if the presets for Pacman were so damned misguided :glare:. I have grown to like the guy but you can thank Pacman9 and his friends for that.
I still have a strong love for power pac jump :p.
But yeah, they weren't the best. That's what happens when only 4 people are deciding the movesets.

My idealist nature got the better of me. I just needed to come back to reality and see the downsides of all the customs.
I wanted to believe in meteor trampoline & Power pac jump. Didn't notice the small, yet important details between meteor trampoline and default (damage and height)

My theory didn't go so well in reality for once :teeth:

But enough of pointing fingers, we need to move forward.

Last edited:

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
But yeah, they weren't the best. That's what happens when only 4 people are deciding the movesets.

My idealist nature got the better of me. I just needed to come back to reality and see the downsides of all the customs.
I wanted to believe in meteor trampoline & Power pac jump. Didn't notice the small, yet important details between meteor trampoline and default (damage and height)

Was it really only 4 people, yeah can't really blame you guys then.

Well yeah we seem to have a better understanding of what works and what doesn't now. So lets just try to make this next custom set batch the best batch ever!

Last edited:

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100

whoops double post

Last edited:

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
EVO's coming up soon; may want to wait to see if customs are going to survive post EVO before looking for new sets.

A lot of high level players are getting turned off of customs, and I think top 16 of EVO is going to quickly show us why...

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
EVO's coming up soon; may want to wait to see if customs are going to survive post EVO before looking for new sets.

A lot of high level players are getting turned off of customs, and I think top 16 of EVO is going to quickly show us why...
I disagree, why not plan for it from now instead of paying so much attention to the off chance that customs die,

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
I disagree, why not plan for it from now instead of paying so much attention to the off chance that customs die,
Well, you have two options:

1) EVO rules are here to stay. If this is what happens, then the custom sets have already been decided, practice them and adapt.

OR

2) The rules change as a result of something happening at EVO. The most likely scenario is certain customs getting banned, though customs in general being banned could happen too.
Now admittedly, we don't have anything that has been shown to be bannable yet, but until EVO happens, we won't know for sure.

Basically what I am saying is that right now you are trying to practice with movesets that are not legal even in the current custom standard rules in the hope that if/when the rules do change you *might* be able to use your moveset after all.
You would be better off spending time training with something you know you'll be able to use in one ruleset or the other rather than banking on the best case scenario that your set becomes legal, which itself requires some sort of backlash resulting from a potential problem with the EVO ruleset.

Last edited:

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
Well, you have two options:

1) EVO rules are here to stay. If this is what happens, then the custom sets have already been decided, practice them and adapt.

OR

2) The rules change as a result of something happening at EVO. The most likely scenario is certain customs getting banned, though customs in general being banned could happen too.
Now admittedly, we don't have anything that has been shown to be bannable yet, but until EVO happens, we won't know for sure.

Basically what I am saying is that right now you are trying to practice with movesets that are not legal even in the current custom standard rules in the hope that if/when the rules do change you *might* be able to use your moveset after all.
You would be better off spending time training with something you know you'll be able to use in one ruleset or the other rather than banking on the best case scenario that your set becomes legal, which itself requires some sort of backlash resulting from a potential problem with the EVO ruleset.
I really don't know what the heck you're talking about.

In my region and a lot of the region of others here customs are legal and are the law of the land. It already here to stay, you are talking about customs being banned based on some hunch you have about what's going to happen at Evo, its really silly actually. And the point of practicing with custom sets that aren't in the current presets is to see if they are worthwhile or not, that is the entire point of the process. You are not making any sense.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Clearly we are not quite understanding each other, so we'll just end it at that.

That said, I don't actually think customs will be completely banned (Although I won't lie and say I wouldn't like that), though I would not at all be surprised if changes are made to the current ruleset to ban certain customs after EVO.

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
Clearly we are not quite understanding each other, so we'll just end it at that.

That said, I don't actually think customs will be completely banned (Although I won't lie and say I wouldn't like that), though I would not at all be surprised if changes are made to the current ruleset to ban certain customs after EVO.
I would mind it a lot. I'd be much less interested in this game if customs were banned. And if some customs are broken then ban them, none of my characters have broken customs so I wouldn't mind that at all.

I really do think you should keep your doom and gloom customs fear mongering away from the boards though.

Last edited:

Tornado

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AnEF5Tornado
Vex (Ganondorf) vs. Tornado (Pacman)
http://www.twitch.tv/mvg_league/v/5760427
best of 3, 21:00 into the stream recording.

I can just right away there's a side+B I do at 28:20 that I didn't mean to do but got away with and worked out quite well there as you'll see. I thought I mixed my game up rather well but obviously still plenty to improve upon. When watching back, I know I did quite a few wakka wakka forward A's but I was trying to time them well and they got him often enough. I usually try to not do it that much due to how it can be punished by most characters. Any and all critiques welcome.

Last edited:

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662

I can just right away there's a side+B I do at 28:20 that I didn't mean to do but got away with and worked out quite well there as you'll see. I thought I mixed my game up rather well but obviously still plenty to improve upon. When watching back, I know I did quite a few wakka wakka forward B's but I was trying to time them well and they got him often enough. I usually try to not do it that much due to how it can be punished by most characters. Any and all critiques welcome.
I watched both matches. You did really well. It looked to me like you just straight up outclassed that ganon. In such a case you just have to nitpick at the little things, like charging fruit in close range neutral situations. Most of the time, this can be pretty unsafe, but granted, it's ganon. He cannot rush so easily, but he HAS to rush or he doesn't have a chance.

Other things you may want to try are mixing up the trajectories of your hydrant. Imagine if this guy was methodically power shielding your fruits and hydrants, and even trying to catch them. Against more patient opponents who aren't so willing to bumrush you, mixing up the patterns of your projectiles can grant you the openings to break their rhythm.

Dude had mad lag johns though lol

PEPESPAIN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PEPESPAIN
3DS FC
1306-8476-2667
What do you think about the hard punish video? Useful? Nothing important? I want to know what you think!

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
What do you think about the hard punish video? Useful? Nothing important? I want to know what you think!
Excellent. I really appreciate all your contributions. After I picked up Pacman I discovered your videos and the rest was history :)

BSP

Smash Legend
No jab lock into the 48% Galaxian combo?

Otherwise, nice.

@ fromundaman fromundaman
@ Froggy Froggy

Another thing to consider is that DLC characters don't have customs atm. If Nintendo doesn't say anything about them getting them some time, I don't see them lasting very long.

Viewers will also probably rage about Timber Counter + EBT ledge camping (not broken IMO, but possibly degenerate), airbender Kong, and...IDK what else people complain about a lot in customs. I can go either way on them myself, but they're just so annoying to get.

Anyway, my matches vs Dabuz

game 1 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ml7pbFeiCv0
game 2 got lost >.>
game 3 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hd7RROJ3LM0
4 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TRbbfU9UW8
5 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiUnMr-A3IU

Outside of being maybe a bit too cautious with my key throws and failing to get them in my hand, I could've tried using galaxian in hand more. I may have been respecting Rosalina's buttons a bit too much as well. I also failed to try a Utilt hydrant launch trap when he was camping the platform.

For the luma jab at ledge + Rosalina jab at ledge roll distance, let go and charge a piercing fruit to stop it.

Last edited:

Froggy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3110-7430-0100
No jab lock into the 48% Galaxian combo?

Otherwise, nice.

@ fromundaman fromundaman
@ Froggy Froggy

Another thing to consider is that DLC characters don't have customs atm. If Nintendo doesn't say anything about them getting them some time, I don't see them lasting very long.

Viewers will also probably rage about Timber Counter + EBT ledge camping (not broken IMO, but possibly degenerate), airbender Kong, and...IDK what else people complain about a lot in customs. I can go either way on them myself, but they're just so annoying to get.

Anyway, my matches vs Dabuz

game 1 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ml7pbFeiCv0
game 2 got lost >.>
game 3 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hd7RROJ3LM0
4 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7TRbbfU9UW8
5 is still loading.

Outside of being maybe a bit too cautious with my key throws and failing to get them in my hand, I could've tried using galaxian in hand more. I may have been respecting Rosalina's buttons a bit too much as well.
I really don't think the DLCs factor in this whatsoever, you're talking about a handful of characters vs ther st of the cast. If you want to use customs then don't use a DLC it's that simple.

I think less and less people are complaining about those customs, once the Vilager thing will be banned as a stalling tactic and Air Bender king is just annoying, no one asking for it to be banned is being taken seriously.

I only got to see game 1 for now. Will watch the rest when I get off of work.

BSP

Smash Legend

Overall good play and great job not giving Ganon roll punishes. You held your ground and didn't do obvious defensive options.

After you take a stock on battlefield, setting up a trampoline underneath one of the platforms and waiting on the other side royally screws over most approaches since the trampoline bounces people above the platform. Something to keep in mind. I would spam trampoline a lot vs. Ganon, there's not much he can do about it.

I wouldn't expect the stage spikes to work often offline :(

I hate to be tat guy; but could I get a bit of feedback? I have a french tournament this weekend and would love to step up my game before I head in there. I really want to be the overseas guy who comes in and steals all of their money. The fact that there isn't a Pac player in the country should help me, but I want to be as prepared as I can be.
Doing this now. Sorry I didn't get to it before the tournament.

Vs Villager
:05 - hm, never thought of that method to stop Lloid.
It doesn't damage the hydrant as we see though, which ca
be good and bad.

:16- 26 -> That's what we need to do when we're close.
We beat Villager in CQC IMO. Having Key ready to launch
Villager's hydrants is good.

:31 - odd...That may have been a good time to let the Key rock. I don't
think Villager's Utilt would've launched it.

:42 - Trampoline OP. Our personl get out of jail free card is nice.
Everyone needs to hardwire "They're on top of me? Trampoline!!" into
their minds because there's basically nothing they can do about it.

In the next little neutral interaction, I would consider placing a trampoline
between the two of you. If you do, Villager can't run behind Lloid as easily, leaving
you an easy heal. If there's no trampoline, be careful because Villager can bait it
and try to punish.

1:02 - little early on the trap. You probably should've jumped the first water spout and then
jabbed, but I know it's hard to guage sometimes. Regardless, it did its job since Villager
avoided the ledge completely.

1:04 - now on this punish, I would suggest you wait on the ground and cover retreating to the ledge. You had a Key ready to punish long
range landing, and the ledge was Villager's only somewhat safe option.

1:08 - I probably would've gotten hit by that too. I like the effort
to cover Villager's get up options.

1:12 - sneaky key while villager was distracted, good.

1:37 - nice setup with the dthrow to the red trampoline. That fair covered everything.

1:56 - needs to get patched. It's INFURIATING. Beautiful play up until that point.

2:14 - you were probably trying to avoid it, but having your hydrant on SV's platform sucks if you're not with it

2:17 - and that's why. Good conversion after you get hit though.

2:32 - nice Fair to Fsmash, it's a pretty safe setup.

You told me this too, but you fair to nair a lot as well. We've got to mix it up.

2:50 - If that was planned, brilliant. Having the hydrant water cover your getup.

3:24 - Try not to shield Lloid if you can avoid it. If it misses, cooldown is longer for villager.
That being said, don't risk some defensive move that villager can read. Your shielding was fine there,
but I wanted to point that out.

Like at 3:00, villager could've grabbed you. You wouldn't have died though, so I respect the shield option. Getting grabbed >
smash attacked off of a read. Jumping up to the platform would've been best IMO.

3:37 - sneaky. Almost worked too. I need to keep that one in mind.

4:06 - trying to pop balloons with Dair's weak hits? never thought of that.

4:20 - Brilliant. This has become my most reliable stock closing method ever since you brought it up.

Yoshi

4:38 - In the case of a hydrant drop like that at 0%, I go for Uair -> Trampoline.
As you experienced, Fair doesn't have that much stun at low %.

4:58 - You get a good Fsmash after this, so good. In most cases, if you're both getting
pushed by hydrant water, trampoline.

5:09 - I love that setup. I would try to start it a little closer to the opponent though.

5:21 - You wanted the trap badly. With how Yoshi was recovering, it would've caught him if he faded back.
Since he didn't, it was pretty risky since you ended up right next to him.

5:43 - :( I know it's tempting, but resist. Landing a grab there wouldn't even KO.

5:51 - Good apple. I thought that was about to turn ugly with Yoshi getting some
dumb rage KO on you.

6:02 - Good.

6:10 - why no second Utilt? Expecting an AD?

6:27 - I'm so glad Yoshi didn't U air you because that was beautiful

Solid play after.

Vs Samus (Hman)

Charge shot scares me, not going to lie. I tend to run at samus at the start and plant a hydrant
so that the water will interfere with her some.

:08 - he probably could've Up B OoS there

:15 - try U air after those hits, it goes straight into trampoline.

:24 - ouch, getting grabbed vs Samus sucks.

:29 - Based trampoline gets it in

:37 - if they sit in shield like that, run off and trampoline. Also, don't mash the jab. Do 1 and 2
and make sure you're hitting before doing 3.

:41 - I can't say for certain if it would've hit, but I would've gone for Dair. It
puts the opponent in an awful spot afterwards. The low stun of fair bites you again.

:46 - IDK about that apple, it was hopeful.
:48 - that's the right idea, but you were a little slow on the action. When you go for pellet shield,
always aim up at the end so at least you don't get smash attacked.

In neutral, I'd recommend more of an air assualt vs Samus. Put hydrants close to her but don't launch
them so that the water will interfere with her game. Throw strawberries and Apples from above. She can't
cover those angles like you can.

1:12 - great mixup.

1:25 - good pellet shield there.

1:31 - like here, aim up at the end just in case. Our 2% is nice,
but charge shot still does 26%. I wouldn't let Samus charge it up.

1:41 - after either of her missiles hit hydrant, Nair should launch.

1:48 - as you saw, the super missles go over the grounded pellet. I would've kept healing instead of charging fruit there,
but that's just me.

1:52 - I may be dreaming, but I would've gone for Dthrow -> Fsmash or something like that lol.
The moving platform is silly.

1:55 - why did you put your hydrant there?

3:30 - X_x

Yeah, try what I said about using the hydrant water to disrupt her ground game and
assualt her with strawberries and apples primarily.

If she keeps shooting missles, heal. If she starts charging, go over there.

Seige is a good pick. Less room for her to run. The statues stop her projectiles
but our piercing ones go on through.

5:02 - in that situation, do what he did. Run off, jump back and bair.

5:36 - trampoline, you know this.

5:47 - that's what I meant about aiming up. You ate Uair, but you didn't eat charge shot.

5:52 - I'm sure you went for the

tech. Get those.

5:56 - ...hm, gotta keep that in mind.

You had the apple in hand and did the double z drop instant launch trick...on the other side of the stage.
Couldn't you have do that on top of samus?

6:23 - good option select with the SH fair.

6:32 - an alternative to pellet if you feel a charge shot coming is fruit. It's safer and all of the fruits will absorb
a shot for you.

6:46 - I usually don't notice stale moves in this game, but I think her shooting the statue
refreshes her moves. Don't let her get fresh charge shot.

6:49 - that would've worked if he didn't decide he was done. I like the attempt.

Nice melon gushing

7:57 - why did you throw the hydrant there? she wasn't close.

8:42 - excellent

Nice bell conversion after.

Overall vs Samus, try what I said. Control the ground more with stationary hydrants and trampoline while attacking
from the air. She has great horizontal projectile game. Vertical? Not so much.

Last edited:

Tornado

Smash Apprentice
NNID
AnEF5Tornado
Overall good play and great job not giving Ganon roll punishes. You held your ground and didn't do obvious defensive options.

After you take a stock on battlefield, setting up a trampoline underneath one of the platforms and waiting on the other side royally screws over most approaches since the trampoline bounces people above the platform. Something to keep in mind. I would spam trampoline a lot vs. Ganon, there's not much he can do about it.

I wouldn't expect the stage spikes to work often offline :(
Yeah I think in those 2 matches combined I got 4 stage spikes, 2 on each side. I obviously don't expect to have that be the case in the future and Vex will definitely be more careful when edgeguarding me in the future. I know he's trying to hit the pellet though to mess up the side+B and force me to use my trampoline but that's why I use my side+B so low, so it makes it more difficult for him to execute.

My neutral game was not too strong though. He was shielding most of my nairs and fairs and coming right back with jabs and grabs of his own. I tried to limit my grabs since they are obviously extremely punishable and I think my only attempt was the one that won me the 2nd game.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
I have to go to work in a minute so can't really study all of that right now, but @ BSP BSP thank you; you're the best!

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
@ fromundaman fromundaman sorry that I never kept my promise to critique your vids man :urg:
I'm just all over the place sometimes lol
No worries; it's tough to find time to do these sometimes.

Speaking of which, things should be a bit less hectic in the near future and I should have time to do more critiques (I hope).

EDIT:

Also I'm not proud of this match, but here's my match this weekend vs False:

https://youtu.be/YhiW73SpXAc

I got super bodied. Rewatching that, I can tell I started to get nervous and started making a lot of input errors.
That said it didn't matter; he was playing on a whole different level from me. I need to level up and never let this happen again.

DOUBLE EDIT:

Thanks BSP. Never thought to do the Uair>Trampoline. Going to work that in. Does Uair>Utilt work by any chance?

Last edited:

Maziyah

Smash Apprentice
No worries; it's tough to find time to do these sometimes.

Speaking of which, things should be a bit less hectic in the near future and I should have time to do more critiques (I hope).

EDIT:

Also I'm not proud of this match, but here's my match this weekend vs False:

https://youtu.be/YhiW73SpXAc

I got super bodied. Rewatching that, I can tell I started to get nervous and started making a lot of input errors.
That said it didn't matter; he was playing on a whole different level from me. I need to level up and never let this happen again.

DOUBLE EDIT:

Thanks BSP. Never thought to do the Uair>Trampoline. Going to work that in. Does Uair>Utilt work by any chance?
I could tell you was nervous lol you still tried, false is great and you made it to top 32

PEPESPAIN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PEPESPAIN
3DS FC
1306-8476-2667
Lost again , same fox last tournament:

I need tips to play against fox. I did all the tips you told me last match....I did a lot better, but not enough, please help!

Something strange happened when I was going to die at 2:00, Did he push me on the trampolin maybe?

Last edited:

PEPESPAIN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PEPESPAIN
3DS FC
1306-8476-2667
A new PAC-MAN video Ccombo - Game Over EDITION!

BSP

Smash Legend
At around 1:19:02, I do some friendlies with Bman1K. One against Sonic, Shulk, and Dark Pit.
http://www.twitch.tv/gzlrgzlr/b/666503505

These were some of my matches with Bman1K from singles bracket:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHx6369z_Uo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WizZGjQ4QLA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKrwn9ZMhm8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoYklglgzMA

My biggest mistakes vs Sonic were 1) not being next to the ledge 100% of the time and 2) not using hydrants to fortify my ledge camping, namely with Bair -> reverse Uair launch.

Last edited:
Top Bottom