• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Video Critique Thread

LumpyCPU...

Smash Hero
Slippi.gg
half#198
i'm tricky like that. lol

and i also tend to spam up threads on accident when i'm on the boards... so i'm gonna leave this thread till i have something legit to say. LOL

rhan

Smash Hero
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mg1qky4NhSw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkUvWCKiF0M

FINALLY! We got the gamebridge to work. These are a couple vids from a crew battles back in November. Please critque and point out my mistakes please. I look through them and I see a few mistakes but I can't see them all due to the fact I tell myself I'm always right. I just need other people to tell me. Please and thank you much Samus players. :)

Corigames

Smash Hero
Video 1:
Ok, that's some good pressure on Falco at the start, and I see you understand how every Falco match should go... up B. So, good start.
If you are going to do the hugs-going-behind-the-back-into-a-jab move, then make sure you aren't going to be punished for the time it takes to travel to their backside. I know it's not a lot, but they are probably reacting to if you had done something to their front which means they might hit you before you do it. I guess it's just a luck thing anyway, but keep it in mind.
Nice call with the tech.
No grabbing >_> Ever. Never ever. Unless it works, then it's fine, but no grabbing otherwise! (I guess what I'm saying is you should have up B'ed. I think if you are EVER getting shield pressure from Falco, at least at that range, an up will help you far more than a grab could.)
Arg, Up smash. Hate that move. I hope that was suppose to be a Utilt.
He kicked your kick for kicks. lol
I see you keep using the fsmash. It's a good move, but maybe you should use the Dsmash some more too. It's got a good range and will knock Falco up and away so that you can control him more. Leaving a fast faller near the ground is just begging for them to bounce back from it.
lol, nice pushing him. trying to just shovel him off the edge? XD
I like your use of the platforms to avoid his spam. I don't know how this game would have played out if on FD.
That Dsmash was weird.
I think that edgehog would have been better dealt with using my favorite guard, the Utilt.

Video 2:
Ok ok, you seem to be controlling that Marth pretty good, but I think you are letting him tease you. He seems to be sitting on a platform so that, just as you come in, he can drop down and hit you from below.
Ewww, rolling.
This is a long first stock my friend.
There seems to be a lot of missed calls in this match. He seems to be just missing you and visa versa. Make sure to make moves connect. I know that sounds obvious, but when you try to stay five steps ahead of someone, you forget to do step one first.
Nice run by to fsmash. Called that grab good.
I think you confused him with the grapple, but you may have been much better off using the third jump to try to go over him instead of going for the ledge since he had that area, basically, on lock down.
Tilts are faster than smashes. You need to punish him, not let him punish you. You have to match his speed. You are Samus, not DK :p
As soon as he came back from the dead, you went and got on a platform. What can be a worse position than above Marth than above an invincible Marth? You should probably avoid that so that people don't get free 36% on you like he did. It's just too hard to not get hit by Marth when he has you above him.

Looked like fun matches though. How did your crew do though?

I wish I had people to play ;_;

rhan

Smash Hero
Video 1:
Ok, that's some good pressure on Falco at the start, and I see you understand how every Falco match should go... up B. So, good start.
If you are going to do the hugs-going-behind-the-back-into-a-jab move, then make sure you aren't going to be punished for the time it takes to travel to their backside. I know it's not a lot, but they are probably reacting to if you had done something to their front which means they might hit you before you do it. I guess it's just a luck thing anyway, but keep it in mind.
Nice call with the tech.
No grabbing >_> Ever. Never ever. Unless it works, then it's fine, but no grabbing otherwise! (I guess what I'm saying is you should have up B'ed. I think if you are EVER getting shield pressure from Falco, at least at that range, an up will help you far more than a grab could.)
Arg, Up smash. Hate that move. I hope that was suppose to be a Utilt.
He kicked your kick for kicks. lol
I see you keep using the fsmash. It's a good move, but maybe you should use the Dsmash some more too. It's got a good range and will knock Falco up and away so that you can control him more. Leaving a fast faller near the ground is just begging for them to bounce back from it.
lol, nice pushing him. trying to just shovel him off the edge? XD
I like your use of the platforms to avoid his spam. I don't know how this game would have played out if on FD.
That Dsmash was weird.
I think that edgehog would have been better dealt with using my favorite guard, the Utilt
Upsmash was on total accident. :(

With the pushing him part. I tried to do the get-by-fsmash thing again. I saw that he fell for it a couple times so I thought hey one more time won't hurt? Then he rolled the other way and my slow reaction time told me to Fsmash the other way he rolled. -.-

On FD He probably would have probably beat me or got me down to 1 stock. I crack under lazer camp. Only thing I have against that is edge refreshing->edge hop->fair->Up B-> retreat back to the edge.

Video 2:
Ok ok, you seem to be controlling that Marth pretty good, but I think you are letting him tease you. He seems to be sitting on a platform so that, just as you come in, he can drop down and hit you from below.
Ewww, rolling.
This is a long first stock my friend.
There seems to be a lot of missed calls in this match. He seems to be just missing you and visa versa. Make sure to make moves connect. I know that sounds obvious, but when you try to stay five steps ahead of someone, you forget to do step one first.
Nice run by to fsmash. Called that grab good.
I think you confused him with the grapple, but you may have been much better off using the third jump to try to go over him instead of going for the ledge since he had that area, basically, on lock down.
Tilts are faster than smashes. You need to punish him, not let him punish you. You have to match his speed. You are Samus, not DK :p
As soon as he came back from the dead, you went and got on a platform. What can be a worse position than above Marth than above an invincible Marth? You should probably avoid that so that people don't get free 36% on you like he did. It's just too hard to not get hit by Marth when he has you above him.
Yeah....Marth is my most hated character. I wish I could have switched to Sheik. At least I was on a confortable Samus stage when I fought him. The whole match I tried playing it safe. Keeping some distance and looking for whatever ways I could break past his offenses. Until my last stock. Then I just wehn with what ever I could do. Marth is so difficult to play against with Samus. That was probably my best Marth match I ever did...

Looked like fun matches though. How did your crew do though?

I wish I had people to play ;_;
It was a small crew battle. 3v3. And we just put in 2 dollars each. We won in the end thanks to our Link. We resently did another crew battle last weekend. 5v5 and 5 dollars per person. My Samus played like craaaaaaaaaaaap that day. I was off my game the entire night. Those matches will probably be up the weekend after next.

Also COREY!!!!! You're in West VA! You should at least try to come to SoVA sometime and play some Melee with us. There are plenty of people here that still play Melee. And perfer it over Brawl. Thanks much on the critques bro! :)

Corigames

Smash Hero
Do you have an AIM account or a link to a weeklies or tournament you can shoot me? If I'm really going to go to Genesis, I'm going to have to get some real training in around some real people.

rhan

Smash Hero
In that crew battle, is that Oro as in the Samus player Oro except he used Marth?
I think you have the wrong person. This Oro just plays Marth.

I would expect that "Oro" would be a popular name though. Sorry if it wasn't who you thought it was.

Corigames

Smash Hero
Video 1:
LOL, I forgot this was a crew battle for a second and I was like, "O_O Holy ****, he just stared him to death! Such mindgames!" then I was like, " >_> oh" ^_^
When you were moving around in the air, you weren't doing anything, you were just getting hit and doing nothing back. You could have Nair'ed and stopped his short combo on you or something to that extent.
When you were trying to follow up your hit onto the top platform, you should have, probably, come from below. He had ample time to put up his shield or dodge. It was just risky for getting grabbed, up throw, Uair. The top of this level is just a bad place against Fox since he can take you off the top pretty easy.
Don't waste dem plasmas.
While I love the platform missile cancel and it IS possible on this stage, I find it highly ineffective for anything short of edgeguarding. The stage is too short against most characters due to their speed or range to use it without getting punished.
So far, both times you've used the Fair during your recovery you've been punished. You may want to make sure you are mixing up your get-ups or this will happen a lot.
The grapple... didn't... wat? Can you explain that?
The Dsmash is a good move, but doing it 'till it lands isn't going to keep it that way. If you miss after doing something twice, you should probably stop trying.
You were a little slow on the Nair when he got up on that platform, gotta be a little faster to get that. The window is small but the Nair is out foreeeeeever.
Bad luck on that powershield...
Nice call with the Utilt! I like that, missile to Utilt for ****-your-edge-and-options
lol, just lightshielding so that he has to grab you. Funny. It's amplified by that he didn't grab you.
Ooh that was a risky blast. If he had shined... O_O
Very nice with the backthrow to missile. Even Randal was like, "I'll watch this"
Nice run from that Usmash of his. I think a lot of people underestimate just simple running in this game compared to WDing everywhere.
now that you are palying on your last stock at over 100% you are playing very defensively. Normally I would say that, just because you are ahead shouldn't mean you change your tactics because that could end you. However, you seem to be staying in control so, I guess it works out fine.
I guess until you try to... missile... I think... and catch that upsmash finally.
And good showing on that last Utilt.

Video 2:
Why did you immediately go above Falcon at the start of the match? That's just asking for trouble!
You should really stay on the ground more in this fight and use the platforms as a cieling above you for shelter. If he comes in too high, you can easily punish him from below. If you Up B him, you can drop back beneath the platform and get safe again.
While the Dair may have been a show stopper there, I think that you should have consulted a "safer" move. I think the Nair is a great recovery/guard move bacause of it's reach and time it's out. If you had done that it would have come out faster and, possible, stage spiked him. But, in the heat of battle, I could feel going for that all so good Dair.
Wow, that was pretty cool. I liked that lightshield. It knocked you off so that you could jump back up and punish him. That's a neat idea.
He was wayyy too close for you to be missiling when getting up from the edge!
If Falcon is above you, I don't think the Fair is the right move to use. The only thing a Falcon will do to you from above is Dair or Bair, which both will breack through the the fire.
You sure like that Fair.
Nice Nair Hogging him ^_^
Not much to say about that whole stock other than nice control and good call with the charge shot.
Aww, you had him off the edge on his last stock and missed the Nair! That would have ended it right there! Gotta make those.
Oh, he got cocky with that taunt thinking it was over...
Up smash >_>
UP SMASH >_<
UP SMASH
I hate that move.

How did the rest of the crew match go? Or was that the final fight?

Oh, and I don't know if anyone has caught on yet, but I make notes as I watch the video. If you read my notes as you replay the video, you will be reading them in order as they are shown. So... if you were wondering... yeah.

Aftermath

Smash Champion
I'll make detailed notes and stuff when I get home, but some stuff that stood out immediately was:

I want to learn your way of moving on Yoshi's Story, it was really unpredictable for me.

Lol @ jumping backwards at the start of the BF match and forgetting that the backwards jump lands you on the platform. I've gotten my share of uairs from that too :/

At like 0:28, when you are recovering, a really frequent thing happens. Falcon goes to edgeguard, but goes below you and has to upB back to the stage while you are above/rather near him. You did a dair, but I think you should try switching to bair for the following paragraph of reasons. It's much safer, and arguably more effective, even at low %s, to just use a bair to hit him out of his upB, since it's faster and has about the same disjointedness. With the dair, if he meteor cancels, he'll not only get back on the stage, but you won't be landing much earlier than him, and the fact that he may have been able to fake you out with how far onto the stage he tried to go. With the bair, even if you get a hit at lower %s, you land on the stage, they have no jump, and are at least a moderate distance away. It's much easier to predict where falcon will go, and you should even have more time to get into position or whatever.

0:33 made me sad. You landed a sex kick, which could've led into a fair if you had fallen through, but then didn't go for it. I'm not sure if that was just because of the falcon, since you may have been unsure if he could have gotten you with a falling uair as you went for your thing, but sex kick -> fall through -> fair usually doesn't work out badly against falcons in that situation.

Use more falling uairs. I'll have to watch and point out examples of places, but it lets you pop the fastfaller up, which leads straight into a dsmash. You make good use of dairs (one which I'll have to point out here), but the fact that you can do the uair just before landing lets you apply a bit more shield pressure, and since it's right before landing you might hit them as they try to drop or jump out of their shield to do something. It's not something to spam or that works all the time, but again, I'll try to point out places where it might have been a good option.

Watty

Smash Lord
thanks aftermath, the grapple didnt work cause of the cloud it happens every once in a while when uhave to grapple through the cloud. just bad luck there

Geist

Smash Master
You should have wrote a complaint blog the annoying 08'ers and 09'ers, like most people do.
Or maybe you just planed something, and ended up not doing it, just like me.

duals

Smash Journeyman
Two Posts left until I hit 5k...

What should I do for my 4,999 post and my 5k post? Hmmm...
i would have suggested a joke...then a punch line...but I notice that you all ready have your 5K post...what did you do?

and i wanted to film today of me playing..... so i have something out there...

Geist

Smash Master
and i wanted to film today of me playing..... so i have something out there...
lol I don't have anything of myself either, so people just go around assuming I'm some sort of nub. ;[
The only video I was ever in was in the credits of my friend WiGi's combo video, and all I was did was dtilt with Zelda from 0-death... and that got owned by Warner Bros. lolololololol

duals

Smash Journeyman
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNhll3tIZQU

*BEFORE WATCHING!*

This is a match between my 10 year old brother (im 18)... he knows how to wave dash and some other stuff (although he doesn't in this vid for some reason) so all im saying is that this is a given match.... I have no one else to play with.... I don't expect a whole lot to be said about the video (looking at you corey) but some advice would help....

my brother also wants some advice as well...lol

Im purple btw ^-^....

Aftermath

Smash Champion
K, so some initial impressions are that you need to work on shorthopping, L-canceling, and reaction times. I'd say to fastfall more, but that's just my bias to move faster.

You two should work on your aerial game, most of the time you would wait for the other to fall to the ground and try to hit them there. You got a lot of utilts that way, but in a lot of cases, jumping up with a uair or sex kick would've been a better choice for either of you. Check 2:26 to see how awesome aerials can be.

At :36ish you would've hit if you had fastfallen. Also it looks like you aren't csticking your dair, it might be something to try out, since it's easier not to fastfall by just using that.

For reaction, there were a lot of times where either of you would just sort of walk into something that was obviously coming. It's sort of hard to get out of doing it, but with experience you get an idea of where stuff will be and can react better, and really comes from playing people better than yourself, so you see how they predict and react to you.

• When you're recovering at 1:16ish, you get hit by a missile out of your bomb. If you had went forward in the bomb animation you'd have avoided it.
  • At 1:25, your brother is coming down with a sex kick on you, which I expected you to utilt again, but you walked into it instead :/ As you play more, you'll start to "know" that if he starts a sex kick at that point in the air, he won't be able to move past a certain line, but can ff or hold away from you to try and avoid your punishment. So then you react firstly to his sex kick, and get in position, then secondarily to what he does as he is falling.
  • At 1:30, your brother jumps in the air, and you jump towards him and try to dair. A better choice would have been to try a sex kick, which you could assume he's going to do (or fair which you'd hit through), or wait for him to try something, then intercept it with uair, since uair goes through anything of Samus' from below.
  • Same thing as what happened at 1:25 again at 2:07.
  • 2:56 was good.

Your choice of approach with run across the stage -> dash attack reminds me of me a long time ago. It's not a very effective thing to do though. However, I think that if you work on figuring out how to work in more aerials at times, and largely by working on reaction, which again is a vague term for just "knowing" what'll happen once you or the opponent does something, and from there going through all of your options, and making that process second nature (comes from experience and playing people better than you that can punish things), then you'll find that your game will change dramatically.

Also tell your brother that he can use L or R to cancel charging the beam, there's a couple spots where that would've been a good idea.

duals

Smash Journeyman
Haha thanks aftermath...

this was also a what ever match..... I have some friends that are really good but they out of my city and i never see them =[

When i play my brother, I expect a whole lot more than just a sex kick from him since im use to playing good players... (noobing i think its called =/)

I also have a problem playing against charcters i play as...like a samus vs samus game...it happens to me every fighting game...tekkan, dead or alive, naruto (lawl)

thanks for the advice though... I'll try using more aerials... and for the C-stick... I only use it on the ground... its too awkward for me to use it in the air... but ill try.... any thing for my lord.. ^-^

hey guys i have some vids from a crew battle, there isnt alot of recent stuff up of me so i thought id post this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1zvTAoi-X8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ik2F1Ubc_xE
sorry i haven't posted here in awhile but i felt like commenting on something of watty's at least :)

also i'm ignoring corey's and aftermath's posts, sorry, heh

this might sound weird too but

i thought you were doing great watty, and all i can say overall is to slow down a tad, and by that i mean make things slightly more efficient (i.e. against falcon)

also, there were some times you could have stayed a bit closer to fox

i needn't tell you minor details.

...yep.

Geist

Smash Master
YO SAMUS PLAYERS!!!!

It's Rhan. I'm on my friend's account and I didn't feel like logging out...Well here we got the second crew battle up and I went Samus again. I want more critiques. Please. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fBXJNvj7i0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPjuIK4m3Rc

Thanks for watching and I'll be waiting for the critques. :)
Video 1: I liked how you managed platforms and how you maneuvered on Stadium, but it got a tad predictable, and I'm surprised the peach player didn't take advantage of it.
I liked your style, but that might as well be biased because it resembles mine a little. :3
I didn't spot any crucial mistakes other than the SD lol

Video 2: I think you were being a little too aggressive with Marth. I've seen Oro play before and I know he has a good Marth. But you rushed a lot more and your spacing suffered for it. I also noticed you tried to dair him alot when you were over him, which usually results in being hit more. DI away from him and try to get grounded. When you're in midair he can do alot of things to take advantage of you.

I feel embarrassed posting these vids since I played like complete shit, but here you go. Lay it on me thick.

Falco/FD
Falco/FD
Falco/BF
Marth/Pokemon
Video 1: I'm surprised you won that lol.
The first thing I'd reccommend is banning FD.
Nice use of the screw attack and decent spacing during the later parts, but try to find a better way to get by lasers besides eating them.
@2:00 was awesome.

Video 2: You took out his first stock entirely by screw attacks. Congrats.
the SD at the end was a bit painful though. Good pressure up close, but you kept getting hit back. Try to keep posession of the area close to Falco. He can't do near as much without his lasers. Then you can screw attack him again.
I also noticed that out of all the times you grabbed, he almost always saw it coming. Personally I hate grab, so I have to say if you're going to use it, try to use it during your jab pressure or when he's recovering for minimum risk.

Video 3: Using your grapple beam is really risky on Battlefield, not to mention it got you killed. Try mixing it up by deploying it and retracting it at different times. All the times you used it you tried to be as fast as possible, and a few times you jsut ended up eating falco bair.
Also, just a small bit of advice, try ledge cancelling your upb's. I saw you get punished for them a few times and it could have been avoided. I saw Hugs do it once and I've been doing it ever since. It may not look like much, but it helps alot.

Video 4: Id say that spacing was the general issue. Of couse, it's not easy with an aggressive marth...
Nair more, and try to keep as far away from Marth as possible while still hitting him. Fair generally will get shieldgrabbed from the lack of range.
Also, don't screw around over the edge as much with marth lol

I don't know if any of this is useful advice, but I thought I'd take a crack at it anways ^_^

Aftermath

Smash Champion
I'm assuming you know, but you should uthrow falcon and other fastfallers. The dthrow at high % was a good choice in hindsight, but most people would know to DI away from Samus, meaning that you wouldn't have been able to do anything, while even with DI, the uthrow usually allows for a sex kick or bair. I imagine you did dthrow to avoid platform trouble, as it's not easy to take advantage of someone that lands on the top platform.

Work on sweetspotting with the upB, it was the reason for your death at 1:47 and probably for getting spiked a bit later.

Learn to angle the fsmash downwards. There was one point where you were edgeguarding, but failed with a regular fsmash where and angled one would have hit.

Are you going to be at tourneyplay? We should do some Samus dittos and Wes too if he still plays Samus. Money matches would be fine too ^_^

Edit:

So now I can't hide behind anonymity trying to sound good. I recorded some stuff this weekend and got around to uploading it. Upon watching them, I'm a lot worse than I had previously thought.

Basically, they're 3 friendly sets that I tried to treat as real matches, so I won't john that they're "just friendlies." They're against 3 of the characters I have the most trouble against now, so critiquing would be very valuable.

What I'm working on -

Reacting: I've forgotten a lot of the stuff that used to be instinct, so there are some times where I don't follow up where I should, or sort of jump into random things. The reason I stressed this so much to the other person is mainly because I realized that I am bad at it and want to work on it.

Bombing - You'll notice that even if I use a bomb in a good way, I dont really follow up. I never used them much in the past and they're pretty weird to use all of a sudden. One thing I need to use more often is just wding down after bombing on someone. Most of the time that I hit beneficially with a bomb is after dairing a fastfaller at low %s, they bomb makes them stand up and usually I dair them again. However, if I wd down after the bomb, I can do something potentially better like a fsmash or dsmash.

Utilt - I think there are a couple points where I just spam it, or use it in awkward places. It's another thing that I never really used or learned to use, so I've been experimenting >_> Try not to think I'm too big of an idiot lol

Hitting down correctly - I don't think there's many of them in the videos, but lately when I try to dthrow, I dont go straight down, but to the right slightly (it has to do with how I learned the shffmc), so I get a lot of throws to the right, or cant fall down through platforms, so it's an oddity I know of and need to fix.

Edgeguarding - I'm much less aggressive on this front than before, and when people are hanging on the edge you'll see that I stand pretty far back. I seem to worry too much about getting hit by edgehopped things. Any tips on improving this aspect would be appreciated.

Not dairing when I'm falling - I've always had this habit and it's a terrible one. It mainly pops up when I'm not focusing as much as I should be in the match, which leads to...

Concentration - It's really tough for me to continually think about the match at hand, I always sort of go into an "autopilot" mode where I play based off of instinct and tech skill. The result is that I'm faster than any other Samus, but the tradeoff is I'm super susceptible to mindgames, and lack them myself. I have an unconscious hierarchy of "what to do here" that just takes over, and so if something doesn't work once, but there's nothing else on the list of things to do, I will repeatedly fall for the same things or make the same mistakes.

If nothing else, try watching one video per set, and just give some general ideas of how my game changes, because the first one I was fairly focused, and thought about what was going on in the match. In the second set, I'd say after losing the first match, I got as focused as I would be that night,
and hopefully it shows in my gameplay.
Set 3 was pretty late, and I made some rudimentary mistakes and had a bad habit re-emerge. If I mess up on a tech, I will just spam it until I get it. Not a good idea when trying to play seriously. All of those random sh bombs where supposed to be shffmcs, which I'll be practicing up again this week.

Set 1 - Sheik - I used to have all these tricks for recovering against Sheik, but now I can't remember them, or when to use them, so you'll see that my recovery needs a lot of help. I've also gotten bad at edgeguarding, and way too cautious near the edge when Sheik is hanging.

Match 1 | DL64 - Pretty enjoyable match.

Match 2 | Final Destination - You can see the trouble I have recovering.

Match 3 | Pokemon Stadium - The SD came from me trying to double jump and just barely grab the edge, but then I was a bit careless and continued to hold forward, so then by the time I noticed that I didn't grab, I had gone under the lip and couldnt upB. Noob mistake.

Set 2 - Peach - A few necessities I need for Peach. Need to not jump up through platforms at peach. More upB out of shield. Relearn the ranges of aerials/dsmash and especially timing of aerials + how fast peach moves horizontally. Other than that I can't remember how I did well against her (I think) before.

Match 1 | Battefield - Windows Movie Maker butchered the sound on this one. Other than that, I thought it was funny that as I was watching, I was thinking "Hmm, this seems like a match that's a good representative for how I usually play." Then I lost. >_>

Match 2 | Yoshi's Story - <3 Yoshi's.

Match 3 | Rainbow Cruise - At 1:38 I was waiting for the Peach to dsmash on the platform, assuming he'd think I'd jump up with an attack. Here's where my bad reaction times and concentration come into play, as even before I stand still to wait, he's dropping through with an attack. The first part was concentration, as I was thinking about mindgaming him by waiting, which I generally never do, but in doing so, I sort of got hung up on him doing that, and so was too late to react to his fair, which even is pretty slow.

I hate Rainbow Cruise (1:55).

Match 4 | Pokemon Stadium - This is a somewhat flashy match, if you just want something sort of fast paced this'd probably be it. I do have some technical problems, but hopefully that's just from being rusty (this is my second weekend playing after about a year of not playing).

Set 3 -Marth - I get hit by a lot of non-combos. I've completely forgotten how to play against Marth so advice on how to get out of his basic stuff would be appreciated. I even got Ken combo'd at one point. I probably look pretty sloppy in these matches too. Another note is that this isn't the Marth I was whining about earlier, in the non-set matches I didn't upload I won by larger margins. I don't know whether it was him doing better, or me doing worse when switching from 'auto' to trying to think about how I played, which does make me doing worse it seems late at night.

Match 1 | Yoshi's Story - I hate when I fail the rising grapple (first death). This also reminds me that I need to work on remembering to lightshield when I'm above someone on a platform. And I'm probably overusing dash attack. wtf @ me for 2:43 -> 2:48

Match 2 | Yoshi's Story - I really like this match. Although I probably should stop doing the edgehop -> wd so much. I generally overuse it on this stage and get punished by better people.

Match 3 | Pokemon Stadium - **** 2:00 -> 2:20, nicely finished off by my death.

Match 4 | Battlefield - I SD twice or something in this match. This really doesn't ever happen normally. Twice it slipped my mind about how the way that I edgehop gets you stuck under the edge, so that's what caused the first two, and then just poor use of upB. I do need to get better at walljumping more consistently after a grapple though.

Match 5 | Yoshi's Story - All of these Yoshi's matches are way too close. Comebacks ftw.

I'm assuming you know, but you should uthrow falcon and other fastfallers. The dthrow at high % was a good choice in hindsight, but most people would know to DI away from Samus, meaning that you wouldn't have been able to do anything, while even with DI, the uthrow usually allows for a sex kick or bair. I imagine you did dthrow to avoid platform trouble, as it's not easy to take advantage of someone that lands on the top platform.

Work on sweetspotting with the upB, it was the reason for your death at 1:47 and probably for getting spiked a bit later.

Learn to angle the fsmash downwards. There was one point where you were edgeguarding, but failed with a regular fsmash where and angled one would have hit.

Are you going to be at tourneyplay? We should do some Samus dittos and Wes too if he still plays Samus. Money matches would be fine too ^_^
Yeah I know you should uthrow, but when I dthrow I have my reasons. Sometimes it's platform trouble, sometimes it's because I think they're going to miss their tech, sometimes it's some mindgame or something... and I'm pretty sure with the dthrow at high percent, even if he had DI'd away I still would have been able to hit him with an fsmash or DA or something, but since he didn't DI when I threw him, I got off a sex kick.

The missed sweetspot with up+b was a hasty and costly mistake of mine - I didn't take my time to get back to the stage. Also I suck at meteor canceling because I haven't had enough practice with it but yeah.

For the angled fsmash, that might have been what I was trying to do but just didn't input it correctly. I know it can hit him though, yeah.

Wes can still play samus, but currently he's been (i.e. when we play, on occasion) working on other characters though. Is tourneyplay the name of something, or you just mean at any tourneys in the future? Either way, answer=probably not. Though... shoot, it's already been a year since The DAN 2 hasn't it...? Dang.

Anyway, I'll take a look at some of your vids later...

Oh, here's another video for kicks: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=De-xnMVqoSE

It's still processing for these next few minutes or so, but yeah.

Geist

Smash Master
That was probably the most entertaining Samus ditto I've seen. I wish mine were that intresting.
lol at 3 SDs in a row.

I wish I had some vids to contribute too, but that doesn't look like it's going to happen anytime soon...

Top Bottom