• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Video Critique Thread

Litt

Samus
Welp! Was gonna watch your set today to critique, Litt (been busy with stuff lately), but I saw that someone else already gave you a pretty sizable write-up.
after having watched him play vs played you myself I would be interested in your different perspective if you wouldn't mind

Hahah sorry I couldn't resist calling out the johns or using your DK Line against you, but really your movement is nice but ledge options need variety and executional work because it seems that is where you are least comfortable, and just work on a good balance between reactionary and predictive play especially when you are the slower character with better zoning tools
Haha no problem.

It's similar to fighting a new PM character - I'm not even on the DK chart, that's how much of a baby level I'm at right now.

Don't be disappointed from what you see here, I can show you much better.

(Also, take my Falcon advice - ignore the upsmash and roll comment but the rest is factual.)

Litt Litt https://youtu.be/ttpuF3nIxMY

the falcon is slowly dying from hand pain (and we end up quitting out from the match) but this might give you a stylistic idea of how I play against falcon. (this is from a few years ago when my choices were still odd and a bit clunky but you'll understand the gist of it - I would play differently now but this was against a friend so we understood our tendencies/choices.)

Last edited:

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
WF Litt (Samus) vs Slox (Falcon)
https://youtu.be/XeTb9ZYuR-Y
I was only able to look at the first game, unfortunately. This is what I noticed. I handled this analysis a little bit differently from how I usually do it in that I wrote both my specific and general observations in real-time as the match progressed (usually I only write my specific observations in real-time and I summarize the general ones at the beginning or end). Take from it what you will.

I really liked your fair aggression when Falcon was on a plat. However, I think you preemptively fsmashed a bit too much, hoping that he would run into them. I tried to ignore things that looked like technical errors, or mistakes in precision.

0:25 - I don't think it's good to fsmash here.

0:28 - Again here.

0:29 - You drop your shield, but you really can't afford to here. You kind of have to WD OoS after Falcon to regain stage control and keep up pressure on him. Simply dropping your shield allowed him to come back with another nair that comboed into knee.

0:34 - Not sure why you baired here. Only thing that could catch was Falcon full jumping over you for some reason. Pretty much just wasted your remaining invincibility while putting yourself in a bad position.

0:51 - I don't think fair > nair works very well on FFers; it just puts you in a bad position. The fair, in general, I don't think was a very good punish. You could have dropped through with dair or nair, or you could have slid off the plat with a tipper bair to send him far off. If you were set on fairing, I think fair > dsmash/dtilt prob would have worked better.

1:06 - Why'd you jump into that?

1:09 - I can't fully explain it, but I know in this situation, I wouldn't have double jumped. It's probably 'cause I'm assuming that good Falcons don't go for dthrow knee often. This is really just more of a mix-up, though, but the theme throughout your match was kind of that you would DJ a little bit too early every time you were sent off-stage

1:21-1:33 - I think you are trying too hard to 'muscle' your way back onto the stage. During this time-span, you were sent offstage three times. You came back with DJ fair, DJ fair, and DJ dair, and all of these attempts were soundly rebuffed. It's probably better to grab the ledge and come up with a way to get onto the stage smoothly and safely.

One big thing that I noticed was that whenever you ended up close to Slox, you backed off or chose a laggy commitment and gave him room/time to run away and reset his neutral positioning. The Falcon:Samus MU is hell and the only way to keep it manageable is to stay on top of him because his OoS options are butt. Many times, you would jab > WD back or through > ftilt. The problem here is that ftilt is a sure out for him. Against Falcon, it's probably better to stay close and constantly jab pressure him. Eventually, he will crack and attempt to get out of shield, which you can punish, or his shield will be small enough to poke with dtilt or dsmash, which actually happens pretty soon tbh. Even jab > grab, I feel, is a better pressure option than always going for jab > ftilt.

1:57 - I think utilt actually would have covered this upB. At worst, he would have landed on the plat directly above you, and utilt would have still connected, popping him up. A quick waveland on the plat would allow you to combo that into a nair or bair to send him back offstage.

2:01 - What was that? I'm not sure if reacting to the Falcon Kick was feasible, but that nair was a pretty large commitment that could easily have left you in a terrible position. If the Falcon Kick was shielded, it would have been extremely punishable.

2:03 - Even worse, though. Why don't you get down?

2:06 - Shoulda tethered the ledge to steal it from that greedy *******.

It's hard to ignore that you made a very large number of technical errors. Also, I think you try to stuff Falcon with rising nair way too much. It didn't work very often for you, and every time you do it, you're incredibly vulnerable.

2:32 - Like this, this is extremely unsafe. If you're inside of him, bomb is an infinitely better option.

2:38 - I saw that fsmash attempt. :p

2:42 - Why? There are two bad things here:
  1. A Falcon just whiffed in front of you, and he's forced to shield. This is your chance to finally pressure that character who's twice as fast as you. You can jab, you can grab, you can bomb, you can drop-through fair/uair and/or rising fair/uair, so many options, but instead you ran through him and then just left the platform.

2. You jumped right in front of him and tried to hit him with a bair that could only connect years after his bad positioning. Basically, you made a huge commitment that had a very low chance of working and put yourself in a bad position.

2:55 - You could have CC dsmashed/dtilted him here. CC dsmash/dtilt is also another thing you can do to try to catch him hitting you with unsafe nairs. That and actually pressuring him up-close is what makes the MU doable on-stage.

3:01 - You almost got hard-read and punished for your tendency to always DJ back onto the stage, often in a failed attempt to hit your opponent. When you were offstage, you literally never went for the ledge. Even here, the ledge was yours, and taking it would have made that Falcon Punch disrespect a breeze to punish. If you're not confident in your ability to quickly sweetspot it with DJ, then cheat and use the tether. ;)

3:03 - I don't agree with it, but I get why you fsmashed here. I think it would have been better to dangle ftilt to catch the early DJ back, maybe even an immediate utilt. The fsmash had too much lag and left you in a pretty bad position, which ultimately got you naired off.

3:05 - See? You try too often to force your way back onstage with DJ dair or fair, and that just won't fly against Falcon.

Hopefully, this didn't seem too harsh and it helped out a little. Again, good stuff on your placement.

Last edited:

GoomySmash

Smash Apprentice

WheatleyLaboratories

Smash Rookie
Welp! Was gonna watch your set today to critique, Litt (been busy with stuff lately), but I saw that someone else already gave you a pretty sizable write-up.
Exactly in what situations do I wd oos? I'm trying to work on them with other players but I keep getting caught. Or should I send you a video?

Last edited:

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FIxFN5FuKYs (vs Peach)

Analyze the Peach match if anything, I want to beat him next time I play him. But any and all criticisms from any of the videos are appreciated.
I looked at the first game. This was what I noticed:

0:36 - That was a really bad ftilt. Peach could have n/baired you OoS for that easily regardless of where on the stage you were, and because you pushed her off the side she was facing, she could do those or uair without having to worry about doing them OoS. In this case, she got a free nair. If you're not spaced for ftilt, then you really shouldn't be doing it. Drop-down fair or bomb pressure would have been much more adequate.

0:49 - This wasn't necessarily a bad option, but it only got you 9% and reset you both at neutral, or rather Peach's advantage 'cause she was able to land right next to you while you were in lag (in some cases, she can get a direct punish). Instead, you could have gone for utilt or fair, both of which would have punished that panic spot-dodge for more damage and combo opportunities.

1:11 - Why'd you wait so long? If you'd reeled in immediately, you could have gone for the wall-jump to get invincibility. At the very least, you'd have been given a chance to tech the stage.

1:52-2:00 - Charged Shot, DA, fsmash...you're fishing now. I get that Peach is at high %'s on her first stock, but flailing only increases the deficit.

2:04 - THIS time, you could have waited a little bit longer and/or moved a bit outward with the air-dodge to avoid the turnip. Also, you might wanna look into sweetspot upBing more, since that just knocks away the turnip.

2:18-2:20 - You're FLAILING.

2:25 - Not gonna say this was a bad decision, but after all those times you were fishing for fsmash, you're pretty lucky he didn't just dsmash after the FC nair, since that would have definitely hit and possibly killed you.

2:31 - Gotta get better at that. Even without invincibility, you can sweetspot the ledge out of your DJ without being hit by dsmash. Also, tbh, you kinda timed your ledgedrop > DJ badly, assuming the Peach was set on consecutively doing FF FC fair > dsmash as fast as she could. You could have timed it so that you would let go right before he landed, not FF, and then DJ back so that you get back to ledge when dsmash is over.

2:44 - You tried that before at low %'s. It didn't work. Probably should have opted for something more reliable, like DA here. That little 4% isn't worth the fact that he could have just naired you out of it.

3:33 - You have got to stop going solely for tether as your first recovery option. Right here, you could have easily stalled out the turnip with some bomb jumps, fallen down, and then sweetspotted the ledge. Alternatively, you could have just gunned for the Peach by bomb-jumping under her and then upBing into her. Right now, it looks like you are way too impatient to get back to the ledge which can be just as deadly for you as it would be if you kept DJing immediatly back onto the stage when you got sent off.

4:08 - But.....why? :urg: You could have just descended to the ledge or the stage for free, but...you FFed into the turnip... :facepalm:

4:12 - Learn how to sweetspot the edge.

4:25 - ...uuuuhhhhhh, huh? You made the longest, slowest jump at Peach, straight into the corner. Not sure why you did that... :ohwell:

4:29 - Stop trying to read his jump. You've been going for reads this whole game and they haven't really worked out for you that much. At this %, if you poke at him, he will eventually die to ftilt. Just play with better fundamentals.

4:30 - The retreating landing fair was safe and a pretty nice move, since it would have comboed into nair...if it HIT. You have plenty of time to hit-confirm the fair before going for nair, so there was no excuse for that shielded nair you threw out. Can't just jump into the air for no reason.

4:51 - Lolz, of course. Was really hoping you would switch it up this time around, but you're really stuck on that tether.

4:55 - Sweetspot the edge.

I really liked your off-the-ledge options, but you need to work on your recovery TO the ledge. Also, play safer and don't fish as hard.

Exactly in what situations do I wd oos? I'm trying to work on them with other players but I keep getting caught. Or should I send you a video?
It would indeed help if you sent a video, but in general, you can WD OoS when someone hits your shield with an unsafe move, such as a rising aerial or an extremely laggy grounded move. You will have to play for a bit to naturally recognize these situations. If the move is extremely unsafe (e.g. Marth's fsmash or rising SH nair from most of the cast), then you can WD forwards (or to wherever the opponent is) and hit him, preferrably with dtilt/smash (your fastest hard-hitting moves). If it's only slightly unsafe (e.g. fade-away/cross-up early bair or spaced ftilt from most of the cast), then it's sometimes better to just WD backwards (or away from the opponent in general) in order to reset the situation back to neutral.

Last edited:

garotis

Smash Cadet
Can someone please elaborate on what Plup could have done to not get destroyed in this match vs. Westballz?

Last edited:
Top Bottom