• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Video Critique Thread

Corigames

Smash Hero
I'm going to be doing video evaluations on my stream tomorrow (Thursday) at 6pm MST on my stream.

I'm going to charge $1 per game.
If I don't have a client at the time, I will be watching my own games and taking notes on improvement.

If you're interested, come and watch!

Mervis

Smash Journeyman
Lolz, I actually don't know. Maybe he didn't want me to punish him for committing too hard to dealing with them. Hey, at least it allowed me to pull off a semi-stylish 0-to-death Charge Shot combo. :p

So I've got another video. Got 5th in both singles and doubles, but both brackets were the largest they've ever been (53 entrants), so I'm not too upset about that. However, this set is of my most hated MU: Sheik. If someone could give me some help on my play and possibly the MU in general, I'd greatly appreciate it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbP9co8cE9k (Losers Quarters; Samus vs Sheik)
Everything I'm about to tell you, you probably already know. It looks like you know the MU as well as you should. It seemed like it was more mechanical errors that screwed you over that game which is not ok in vs Sheik. I'm assuming you struck DL and FD. If you were on Yoshi's, you probably would have won game 1. I feel like you couldn't KO Sheik. There were a few edge guards that you didn't react fast enough to and didn't grab edge. I also feel like downsmash is a suboptimal punish which you used a lot. I think the main issue is your reactive game (which is stupid hard to maintain against Sheik anyways).

Anyways, that's my scrubby 2 cents.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
Thanks a lot for the advice! I actually have been bringing Sheiks to Yoshi's lately, but unfortunately, I believe Lefty struck both FoD and Yoshi's for game 1. :ohwell: I will definitely work on getting to that edge a lot faster for edgeguards; that's actually a general problem of mine. I agree that dsmash is a suboptimal punish most of the time. Whenever I CC, my CCC tends to be dsmash because I want to make sure I hit the Sheik and don't whiff, but I need to check if dtilt is as large as dsmash is (in front at least). If it is, then there's no reason I shouldn't just be using dtilt instead.

Edit: Woah...just looked at the moves in the hitbox thread and dtilt is HUGE! I think it's way bigger than dsmash (could somebody confirm this?).

Last edited:

BillNyeTheSamusGuy

Smash Journeyman
When I fight a sheik I literally only go for cc's and upbs until they prove to me that they won't get hit with it, you missed a lot of cc opportunities early on. Cmon dude don't let shiek ftilt you below 60%. Also you could have grabbed most of those dsmashes on shield.

You stopped punishing his ledge options with grab at a couple points. And I get it, you were at a high percent and he might of switched it up. It would have been valuable to still grab. As samus in this match up you have to do unsafe things or else Sheik will just better character all over you until you lose. In the worst case scenario he avoids the grab and kills you. But you know what? Now your opponent knows you're willing to grab every time. Next ledge situation he's either going to jump or roll. Punish it.

I feel like you could have missiled more to. You did it a couple times and got some good reactions and punishes.

Also also, you got in the air a lot, like you straight up jumped in front of sheik multiple times. And you were punished pretty much every time.

EDIT: Dtilt has a little less horizontal range than dsmash, but dtilt is also taller than dsmash.

I like FD against sheik as well. It removes platform movement from sheik. Now if they wanna needle they have to jump and you can get under that to punish.

Last edited:

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
Thanks a lot for your input! Lefty is one of the top players in this region and he has a ton of Samus experience, since he used to practice a lot with Knut. For that reason, I already know that I won't be able to catch him with too many CCCs, and I knew that if I punished too many ledge get-ups with grab, he would definitely catch on and start punishing me. As for the rest of these things, I will definitely try to work on them. Grab bad dsmashes, missile more, and jump a lot less. I can see the value in FD, but I reeaaally like FoD a lot against everyone that isn't Peach. There's just no room to get away from Samus there.

I got 7th out of 48 at the next tournament, and Lefty and I got 2nd in doubles in the largest doubles bracket yet. :) I got a couple matches recorded. I wasn't really happy with how I played against Darktooth, but alas, I'm sure there are some things I could pick up from that set too. If anyone has any advice for me, I'd greatly appreciate it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHT_GWRnOfA (Winners Round 3; Samus vs Falco)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGj0iY1kU6s (Winners Quarters; Samus vs Fox/Falco)

DopeSSBM

Smash Rookie
Hey guys! Im Dope! a Samus main from Ontario, Canada. Not new to the scene but new to smashboards.

Anyways heres the Sheridan college VS. Humber college crew battle, this is done cause my school is currently enrolled in the The Melee games tournament.

Crew battle starts at 50:00 mins, Im the first up in the crew battle. Please lemme know anything I can improve on, i'd love some feedback guys

Thanks!

- Dope

http://www.twitch.tv/sheridansmash/v/16674812

EDIT: heres the YouTube vod: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_QJ53HjmV0&feature=youtu.be

Last edited:

dietsnapple89

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys! Im Dope! a Samus main from Ontario, Canada. Not new to the scene but new to smashboards.

Anyways heres the Sheridan college VS. Humber college crew battle, this is done cause my school is currently enrolled in the The Melee games tournament.

Crew battle starts at 50:00 mins, Im the first up in the crew battle. Please lemme know anything I can improve on, i'd love some feedback guys

Thanks!

- Dope

http://www.twitch.tv/sheridansmash/v/16674812
Honestly, the guys you played against were terrible except for the falcon looked decent. There isn't much to critique against inferior competition. But I'd say against falcon, jumping up to platform and then falling back down through to missile cancel isn't that good, because a lot of good falcons will see that and he can cover a lot of distance quickly and get under you and do Uairs which is a pain for Samus to deal with.

dinho

Smash Rookie
Hey, I'm a fairly inexperienced melee player, main samus. I don't play a ton, and could probably stand to improve on about everything. If anyone cares to give any advice on where I might best spend my time, I'm the only samus in this stream http://secure.twitch.tv/vrsn_3pt_oh/v/17893743 (except the one other guy at 1:17). I get absolutely bodied by a falcon/dorf main at the beginning after he warms up, but I play two sets starting at ~1:37 against people closer to my level. Cheers.

dietsnapple89

Smash Apprentice
Learn to shield more instead of trying to crouch cancel into Dsmash when the opponent is approaching you. Its kind of challenging to determine when to shield and when to crouch cancel at lower percents. In general, if you are at a low percent and opponent is trying to attack from above with an aerial, that's a good time to crouch cancel and then Dsmash. And when you want to approach, use your shield more. If you learn how to wavedash out of shield into Ftilt, this is a good approach, especially if the opponent is dash dancing near ledge. If opponent is across the stage, do a missile cancel and follow the missile so that the opponent shields or attacks the missile. This is another way to approach, but watch out against fox/falco because they can reflect it back at you.

Against falcon, fox, falco, don't chase them in the air so much. If you miss then its easy for them to punish Samus since she falls slowly. Learn to choose the right time to attack them with aerials.

UpB out of shield is another skill you should work on. Its great for getting out of pressure like shine pressure and jab pressure.

Also, against Sheik, its better to wavedash backwards onto ledge and hold it when Sheik is off stage. Make Sheik recover to the stage because the landing lag on her recovery can be punished. Also, when Sheiks grab ledge they can just stall, so you want to avoid that.

Thats some begging stuff I think you should work on. If you just practice one skill every week and then spam that skill at your weekly or whenever you get some practice in with another person, you can get pretty good quickly from learning all the situations that skill is good to be used in and which situations are bad for its use.

Litt

Samus
Ok, so I am starting to feel as though Marth is like my super weakness or something cause I know what I should do, but this dude plays me in a way where he exploits Samus harder than most of Marth's I do beat. I need a break down on his bad habits and mines, please.

https://youtu.be/korfzVXITCA?list=PLvTVQTkJwzuleKx1ZVsYQaTHfAER7VuHl
Just watching the first game, you keep throwing out smashes after you are down a stock and you are just clearly getting out spaced, its something no one wants to hear but really the solution is just play better and stop getting baited as much. Its not a matter of habits here, it is clear he understands what you are trying to do with your character and you are not adapting to it. In neutral if that is where marth wins, samus isnt going to win the set

Last edited:

abcool

Smash Ace
Just watching the first game, you keep throwing out smashes after you are down a stock and you are just clearly getting out spaced, its something no one wants to hear but really the solution is just play better and stop getting baited as much. Its not a matter of habits here, it is clear he understands what you are trying to do with your character and you are not adapting to it. In neutral if that is where marth wins, samus isnt going to win the set

I know that much already, but I need to know what I am doing wrong for him to outspace me. I am having troubles with dtilt and edgeguarding him. I need to know how to deal with those options. In game 2 it was closer, but Dreamland is kinda of a Samus cp.

Last edited:

Litt

Samus
I know that much already, but I need to know what I am doing wrong for him to outspace me. I am having troubles with dtilt and edgeguarding him. I need to know how to deal with those options. In game 2 it was closer, but Dreamland is kinda of a Samus cp.
Its more about what you could be doing more right than less wrong. You were making your choices in neutral he was reading them and properly punishing, you just need to recongize when he is about to punish a choice of yours in neutral especially on yoshis to then choose a different option. Also use dtilt more instead of dsmash, i know you weren't really getting punished for it, but better marths will get so much off that punish

Last edited:

abcool

Smash Ace
Its more about what you could be doing more right than less wrong. You were making your choices in neutral he was reading them and properly punishing, you just need to recongize when he is about to punish a choice of yours in neutral especially on yoshis to then choose a different option. Also use dtilt more instead of dsmash, i know you weren't really getting punished for it, but better marths will get so much off that punish

Agreed, thanks. So, its all just the mental aspect then? Aight.

Last edited:

Litt

Samus
Agreed, thanks. So, its all just the mental aspect then? Aight.
I mean a few more specifics from game 1, you didnt punish his high recovery on platforms and you didnt make effective use of your charge shots.

game 2:
first stock you randomly fair over marth which ends up accumulating 70+ damage from a really bad full jump read in neutral at the start of the match. Then ok you finally get down with a dair and start something up but instead of realzing when your combo ended, slightly back off and bait out the ftilt from marth, you keep rushing in and get knocked off the stage and lose your stock. 2 key poor decisions that made the world of difference.

on your second stock it seems you have no answer against marth dtilting you from ledge, simply answer is just wavedash past him invins and keep running towards open stage, now you have center stage and arent being edgeguarded. Certainly more options but ledge play needs more variety and stronger execution.

third stock, if marth is dtilting your shield and you want to go for the grab you need to sheild DI down and slightly away as to both not get shield poked, and to move away enough to surprise grab after being pushed back enough. Some of the options this marth is choosing are not the safest options and if you would just bait him more you could wavedash past him and dent up his shield with ftilts. He gives you a bunch of room and fsmashes you by the ledge, just need to wd in and shield, or stay on the the ledge a bit, get up normal if you cant do a quick haxdash back and wavedash back on just to see what they do after they give you so much space. Sooo generous mr. marth... but wait fsmash... but but it looked like such safe and free space to take... but it wasnt :(

this marth has gone to ledge and tried to dair spike you mutiple times this set to no success and he continually tried to do it game 2, why wouldnt you think he would want to do it then if that was the pattern he so blatantly showed you over and over. Option to get past this is just grapple below the stage, wall jump into an angled air dodge to stage so you are invins from the dair. I dout that marth would be able to punish that the first time you whip that out of your mix up bag.

Game 3:
First stock the exact same thing i was talking about yoshis, you postion yourself so you can be clearly read and you are wondering why your attacks are not effective. You cannot cc marths tipper fair even at low percents unless its into a grab or very well spaced ftilt, at higher percents over like 20 dont even try to punish a tripper fair, get the **** away from there and reestablish neutral.

BY GAWD WORK ON YOUR LEDGE OPTIONS AND STOP ROLLING ON EVERY SINGLE TIME (exaggerating a little because i did notice variety but there are times when you get stuck in your own pace and just start repeating options because they have been working) As you will see below in my you did well section, you did use grabs effectively, but there were about 3/4 as many times that you should have locked that marth in shield with jab pressure or tried to cross up when you went for grab reads. You get a lot of good ones, but you cant be as liberal as you are currently being with them.

Your entire second stock it appears you got baited the duration of the stock while beleiving you had the upper hand in neutral, not sure if it was becuase you had lower percent and wanted for force crouch cancel moves or what but you just needed to clam down back off and start getting in your pokes because he read your agression like a book.

the end of your third stock and well actually across the set, you had missed a lot of up b sweet spots and just got punished for it, simple as that and it caused a lot of damanage that pushed the set in his favor. and lastly cmon bruh the dair to finish it, he was aching for it... you could even seen it in the player cam the smirk on his face.

I dont want you to read this and say ohhh **** you barbie you are just being negative and **** like everyone always does, so here is a new part I like to call, what you did well:

Your smash attacks throughout the match were VERY well spaced for the most part and would be very difficult to punish even from a higher level marth, you have a very strong grab game and your follow ups were what made the difference on a number of stocks. Speaking of your combo game, that was the number one thing that kept you in this set because of how it got marth off balance and you could steal that second jump with a well placed missile or up tilt.

Cheers,
Barbie

abcool

Smash Ace
I mean a few more specifics from game 1, you didnt punish his high recovery on platforms and you didnt make effective use of your charge shots.

game 2:
first stock you randomly fair over marth which ends up accumulating 70+ damage from a really bad full jump read in neutral at the start of the match. Then ok you finally get down with a dair and start something up but instead of realzing when your combo ended, slightly back off and bait out the ftilt from marth, you keep rushing in and get knocked off the stage and lose your stock. 2 key poor decisions that made the world of difference.

on your second stock it seems you have no answer against marth dtilting you from ledge, simply answer is just wavedash past him invins and keep running towards open stage, now you have center stage and arent being edgeguarded. Certainly more options but ledge play needs more variety and stronger execution.

third stock, if marth is dtilting your shield and you want to go for the grab you need to sheild DI down and slightly away as to both not get shield poked, and to move away enough to surprise grab after being pushed back enough. Some of the options this marth is choosing are not the safest options and if you would just bait him more you could wavedash past him and dent up his shield with ftilts. He gives you a bunch of room and fsmashes you by the ledge, just need to wd in and shield, or stay on the the ledge a bit, get up normal if you cant do a quick haxdash back and wavedash back on just to see what they do after they give you so much space. Sooo generous mr. marth... but wait fsmash... but but it looked like such safe and free space to take... but it wasnt :(

this marth has gone to ledge and tried to dair spike you mutiple times this set to no success and he continually tried to do it game 2, why wouldnt you think he would want to do it then if that was the pattern he so blatantly showed you over and over. Option to get past this is just grapple below the stage, wall jump into an angled air dodge to stage so you are invins from the dair. I dout that marth would be able to punish that the first time you whip that out of your mix up bag.

Game 3:
First stock the exact same thing i was talking about yoshis, you postion yourself so you can be clearly read and you are wondering why your attacks are not effective. You cannot cc marths tipper fair even at low percents unless its into a grab or very well spaced ftilt, at higher percents over like 20 dont even try to punish a tripper fair, get the **** away from there and reestablish neutral.

BY GAWD WORK ON YOUR LEDGE OPTIONS AND STOP ROLLING ON EVERY SINGLE TIME (exaggerating a little because i did notice variety but there are times when you get stuck in your own pace and just start repeating options because they have been working) As you will see below in my you did well section, you did use grabs effectively, but there were about 3/4 as many times that you should have locked that marth in shield with jab pressure or tried to cross up when you went for grab reads. You get a lot of good ones, but you cant be as liberal as you are currently being with them.

Your entire second stock it appears you got baited the duration of the stock while beleiving you had the upper hand in neutral, not sure if it was becuase you had lower percent and wanted for force crouch cancel moves or what but you just needed to clam down back off and start getting in your pokes because he read your agression like a book.

the end of your third stock and well actually across the set, you had missed a lot of up b sweet spots and just got punished for it, simple as that and it caused a lot of damanage that pushed the set in his favor. and lastly cmon bruh the dair to finish it, he was aching for it... you could even seen it in the player cam the smirk on his face.

I dont want you to read this and say ohhh **** you barbie you are just being negative and **** like everyone always does, so here is a new part I like to call, what you did well:

Your smash attacks throughout the match were VERY well spaced for the most part and would be very difficult to punish even from a higher level marth, you have a very strong grab game and your follow ups were what made the difference on a number of stocks. Speaking of your combo game, that was the number one thing that kept you in this set because of how it got marth off balance and you could steal that second jump with a well placed missile or up tilt.

Cheers,
Barbie
This was the reply I was actually waiting on. I know you be a bit harsh in criticism sometimes, but I am happy for the full breakdown. I just need to execute this sense of thinking. Usually, I am a very patient player, but this guy has been my rival for years and just my whole mentality goes out the window when we play, but knowledge beats fear. Thanks again man, this is what these boards used to be about.

Litt

Samus
This was the reply I was actually waiting on. I know you be a bit harsh in criticism sometimes, but I am happy for the full breakdown. I just need to execute this sense of thinking. Usually, I am a very patient player, but this guy has been my rival for years and just my whole mentality goes out the window when we play, but knowledge beats fear. Thanks again man, this is what these boards used to be about.
I think this game just highlights how drastic the difference is between playing a new opponent vs an old one. The next time you play him be a lot more weary in your game of what you use as new/bad player traps because known traps are no longer traps for you, but rather inform the opponent for when they can easily break neutral or bait you into setting up a trap. This marth played for the most part out of your CC game, and knowing that you should approach him differently with that in mind.

Hahha I wouldn't know what the boards used to be like I came on when the boards were originally dead, and was just **** on by violence for trying to contribute. But I could tell you were looking for an in depth criticism after your second reply so took the time to seriously critique it and I'm glad you appreciate the time i took out.

Last edited:

DjiBy

Smash Rookie
Hi guys, I am newly maining Samus since 1 month now and I feel that my neutral is getting better but I suck so bad when getting back on stage. However, I definitly lack experience in order to get up in the rank on netplay (I'm stuck at bronze). Anyway, here is a ranked vs Sheik, one of my worst matchup. If you could watch and see if I miss any fundamental point in my play, please do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVeAZ6b3ihs&feature=youtu.be

Thanks,

abcool

Smash Ace
Hi guys, I am newly maining Samus since 1 month now and I feel that my neutral is getting better but I suck so bad when getting back on stage. However, I definitly lack experience in order to get up in the rank on netplay (I'm stuck at bronze). Anyway, here is a ranked vs Sheik, one of my worst matchup. If you could watch and see if I miss any fundamental point in my play, please do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VVeAZ6b3ihs&feature=youtu.be

Thanks,
Video is private, bro.

Mervis

Smash Journeyman
It's ya boy merv coming in with another stupid video. This time I don't suck TOO bad. I already have a pretty good idea of what happened, what went wrong, and what to improve, but I would still love input from anyone and everyone.

To put things into perspective, Thoraxe is ranked 5th on our local rankings while I'm ranked........50thish?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJAgbav-6YU have at it

Last edited:

Mervis

Smash Journeyman
http://www.twitch.tv/gamersabbey/v/24051046?t=1h32m08s Hey can I get some analysis on this? Any defensive patterns you see in the Sheik? Any particular times I get around the aerial needles? Any thoughts on the end game? He starts getting around my missile pressure and I kind of break down.

Mervis Mervis I'll look at your vid in the near future
So you obviously choked a bit at the end. I could elaborate more but I don't think you really need to hear me say "Hey don't choke". As obnoxious as aerial needles are, I feel like you weren't really losing because of them. You set the pace of the match really well until the end. It seems like raw grabs or poor positioning was the real issue. I guess you could argue needles put you in bad positioning, but I would stress more on the amount of wiffed downsmashes. The missile pressure was definitely on par with his needle pressure, and you were ahead for most of the game. If you played the game more reactive and less proactive, it would have been easily yours. Raw moves trying to cover needles and or grabs put you in Sheik's punish game. Some sub-optimal punishes here and there but that's also not the biggest issue.

BillNyeTheSamusGuy

Smash Journeyman
So you obviously choked a bit at the end. I could elaborate more but I don't think you really need to hear me say "Hey don't choke".
Actually I'm pretty bad at noting shifts in my gameplay under pressure so could mention some bad choke based things I did?

also...

MERVIS v THORAXE ANALYSIS (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJAgbav-6YU)

This is just a list of interactions that I thought it would be useful to note:

0:10 You got hit by this usmash because you cornered yourself.

0:27 It would have been more efficient to use dtilt instead of dsmash here. Dtilt would have immediately led to bair or nair

1:01 That second bomb (and the fact that you reversed your direction) was a little presumptuous and it got you killed. Heading to the platform or fully retreating might have been better. It was a pretty sucky situation though. I won’t mentioned the input flub that got you firefoxd in the first place cuz you know what happened there.

1:10 Good ftilt. always mess foxes up for unsafe lasers.

1:50 That dair was a little presumptuous. When Duck/Plup are in that situation (on the plat with your opponent below you) they either wd back fall through platform aerial or retreat to the top plat.

2:10 Should have bomb jumped to correct your momentum and then upb’d.

2:14 You do that weird fj dair on the side platform again (like at 1:50) and get punished again. If you must try to punish fox from that position use fall through platform fair instead—- it’ll set up dtilt/dsmash and its pretty much unreactable (fair comes out on frame 4 I think). But you should consider getting position instead of counterattacking when you’re cornered like that.

2:20 Fair would have covered more space here

2:25 Falling dair couldn’t hit but if you jumped first he would have firefox’d into the hitbox. Or you could have naired for the stage spike. Or AI to ftilt/fsmash.

3:53 You didn’t really have a good reason to think the usmash would hit. If he was jumping on the platform you might have read his landing or if you attacked his shield with aerials you could have conditioned him to hold shield.

-GAME 2-

5:57 wall jump would have saved you (cuz of the invincibility frames)

6:07 good no impact land dsmash, you should have went for the bair after the dsmash though, since he di’d wonky. He would basically have no choice but to eat the charge after. (and you do that later in the match)

6:41 Don’t be afraid to wait on ledge. You’ve already demonstrated that you’re lethal from the ledge so don’t be afraid to wait until you’re 100% sure you can get back.

6:51 This is gonna sound weird… but I’m pretty sure non-angled fsmash would’ve hit here. Falcon’s hurtbox acts super weird during his upb and I’ve been hitting really safe looking falcon upbs with fsmash for a while now (you can hit him if he’s “below” the fsmash). Its useful because the hitbox lingers longer than ftilt or utilt. Ftilt could be good to since you kind of needed the speed.

-GAME 3-

7:52 Ok this is the 3rd or 4th time you’ve read the high firefox but whiffed a dair. I assure you hard reading a high recovery and covering the option with a missile looks pretty cool to. Not even a homing just jump up and fire a smash missile it will probably kill.

9:10 Not the worst nair, but its kind of been a theme that this guy jumps out of the way when you approach him when he’s on a platform. This is similar to the usmashes earlier. Just wavedashing under him would have pressured him better (he would have jumped away and give up position or he would have dropped thru the platform to attack and you could upb him then)

9:16 This nair is super bad. You cornered yourself with it which is why you got punished and eventually lost your stock. Because of one bad nair. Waiting would have been better. His options from the other side of the tree were to land in front of or above you. You could have easily punished either.

9:22 dair was pretty presumptuous. Nair would have been slightly better but ff aerial to get back to stage is kind of iffy in the first place.

10:26 Cornered yourself and that’s how Thoraxe got the grab. You might have missed an upb as well, but you definitely didn’t have good positioning. Cut your charge shorter if you don’t have enough time so you can move around more during his invincibility.

11:08 Fair might have been better to interrupt (Duck uses Fair as an interrupt all the time) but this looks like it might have been unavoidable

Mervis

Smash Journeyman
Hoooly moly that's thorough (Shouldn't have expected less lol.)

At the end of your set you start approaching a lot. Your fatal mistake was run up slowly and fsmash. I watched the game about 4 times and I can't really recall a lot of hard approaches from you until the last stock. It was all reversal hits off of bad sheik approaches. You were pacing well with shorthop missiles (l2 shffmc scrub :3) but you got punished for messing up the sh or just shooting an unsafe missile. I feel like the theme of my opinion is play more reactive and less proactive (granted we all could honestly).

On a different note, you do some pretty solid things against this sheik. Do you play him often? You seem to do things that he will fail to punish.

Edit: Holy **** I dair too much

Last edited:

BillNyeTheSamusGuy

Smash Journeyman
Edit: Holy **** I dair too much
I think the bigger issue is you gamble too hard with dair. Like you dair in situations that A) remove all of your other options from play and B) where your opponent would have to choose a very specific option to get hit with it.

Gambling is fine as long as you check your risk/reward ratio and you have a good understanding of what they'll do (eg Hugs grabs on Leffen).

On a different note, you do some pretty solid things against this sheik. Do you play him often? You seem to do things that he will fail to punish.
Not gonna lie when I'm sad I play back the dair->nair->bair combo on fd (so goood). I play him at tourney's every week or two. What things did he not punish?

Mervis

Smash Journeyman
There were a few situations where you just fade into him after an UpB.

Also yeah that combo was legit. What did you shout at him lol?

BillNyeTheSamusGuy

Smash Journeyman
Lmao and you expected a full critique from mervis, gl with that
Would you be up for giving me some thoughts on the match then? https://youtu.be/FSFgPlSMRfc?t=6m49s

I'm specifically curious about needle->grab and needle->fair interactions at close/medium range, with the assumption that they outspace upb. Like, how you can win and or not lose once a needle hits your shield?

Last edited:

Litt

Samus
Would you be up for giving me some thoughts on the match then? https://youtu.be/FSFgPlSMRfc?t=6m49s

I'm specifically curious about needle->grab and needle->fair interactions at close/medium range, with the assumption that they outspace upb. Like, how you can win and or not lose once a needle hits your shield?
no time to do a critique anytime soon, maybe in like a week or two

Litt

Samus

I mean there isnt that much you can do against needle set ups aside avoide them by wd back to give up space to force them to give up their needles, short hop fair to clip their feel when they full hop to needle, if they short hop for needle jump forward short hop nair and after nair on your way down fast fall down air into l cancel into run away to reestablish neutral. Other options include spot dodge after needles hit to stop the grab, or up b after they hit to punish the dash attack or grab. I watched what you linked me but honestly not much to say on this match besides he was over extending a lot but made better choices in neutral, you got grabbed a butt ton and made poor decisions in neutral while throwiing out way too many unsafe smash attacks and punishing him for his over agressiveness.

BillNyeTheSamusGuy

Smash Journeyman
Hey can I get some thoughts on this? Particularly medium range neutral interactions. Like, I noticed he likes to dj backwards a lot but I can't think of anything to do about that. Should I move into his space? retreat? should I jump to? https://youtu.be/xHVTMWruzgI?t=12m32s

Also Thanks for the thoughts on my match Litt Litt

if they short hop for needle jump forward short hop nair and after nair on your way down fast fall down air into l cancel into run away to reestablish neutral.
I don't quite understand. The sequence is short hop nair into fastfalled dair? Wouldn't it just be better to neutral land since it'd be quicker?

Other options include spot dodge after needles hit to stop the grab, or up b after they hit to punish the dash attack or grab.
Can you spotdodge needle->grab? I've heard of upb working (5 frames invincibility ftw) but outside of that I thought once the needle hit your shield grab was guaranteed, or is it a spacing thing?

he was over extending a lot but made better choices in neutral
What happens in this mu when the sheik doesn't over extend? Is our goal just to encourage the sheik to overextend by being tricky or do we have other goals in the match?

Last edited:

Litt

Samus
Hey can I get some thoughts on this? Particularly medium range neutral interactions. Like, I noticed he likes to dj backwards a lot but I can't think of anything to do about that. Should I move into his space? retreat? should I jump to? https://youtu.be/xHVTMWruzgI?t=12m32s

Also Thanks for the thoughts on my match Litt Litt

I don't quite understand. The sequence is short hop nair into fastfalled dair? Wouldn't it just be better to neutral land since it'd be quicker?

Can you spotdodge needle->grab? I've heard of upb working (5 frames invincibility ftw) but outside of that I thought once the needle hit your shield grab was guaranteed, or is it a spacing thing?

What happens in this mu when the sheik doesn't over extend? Is our goal just to encourage the sheik to overextend by being tricky or do we have other goals in the match?
Well if they are jumping back and you catch with the nair, its going to be the weak hit and you are going to get faired if you don't ff fair or up air on the way down at low to mid percents. If you commit to an option and don't catch them, you are gonna get ****ed on either way in this MU.

Its a spacing, thing, they need x amount of needles thrown at the the apex of the jump on the way downward, but you always have the option to up b before the needles because sheik is committed to throwing them into a run --> dash attack/ grab. In which case the first time you can buffer roll backwards which most likly will keep you safe from da or grab, if you arent safe it tells you this is a high quality shiek that is willing to wait to see what you do to their approach. Most of the time tho, the position in which shiek throws the needles will either be in the range of a short hop commital fair, or a full jump same or slightly farther distance --> full needles. Remember tho, when sheik doesnt have needles stored up, you dont have to worry about her releasing a **** ton on your sheik into a safe approach. Bait out her throwing the needles so she can't use them to come in as easily or frequently.

Lastly your final question is the same as your first,

1st question: "but I can't think of anything to do about that. Should I move into his space? retreat? should I jump to?" ....

2nd question: "What happens in this mu when the sheik doesn't over extend? Is our goal just to encourage the sheik to overextend by being tricky or do we have other goals in the match?"

Here is the answer: You have 8 minutes to work with, why would you ever want to put yourself in a disadvantageous position? If they are not committing, that means you have less to worry about on a full frontal assault but rather maintaing a safe distance and watching out for when they try to do some unsafe ****. If they never do, then you just have to worry about not getting grabbed, the wall of fairs/bairs and staying grounded. By playing into sheiks that arent committing you are making the one mistake samus players cannot afford,
upload_2015-11-13_6-20-47.png

Don't be a toyota, be a rolls-royce samus :)

Litt

Samus
woops double my bad
No worries bud, ill double post to make you feel better. With regard to the game you linked in that set, https://youtu.be/xHVTMWruzgI?t=12m32s

Here is what I have to say, first refer to Mervis vs Darkrain for what not to do in the MU... #shots. Next your use of bombs is not only above and beyond, but falcon would gladly take bomb hit to take samus out of neutral you need to find better ways to evasion that dont leave you so open. Your combo game in this match is mid to low in terms of reliability and effectiveness to get the job done. Something you need to watch out for is when your opponent drops neutral and is just playing to **** on you. If that is the case, there will be plenty more chances in neutral to punish. There was like one up b the entire game, and it was a preemptive one that got you kneed, then you never used it again. PRACTICE THE WALL JUMP AFTER THE GRAPPLE on battlefield, you will get back on stage or at least have a chance to ledge cancel the up b as to not get Kneed, you can also cancel the grapple with a well timed rising grapple into up air to hit someone holding ledge that doesnt refresh invins.

You have zero answer to punishing side b or stomp on shield, cant let falcon get away with that. You need to properly Di falcons up and f throw. You CANNOT dsmash against falcons with a mid to strong shield, you are just gonna get kneed, period. You werent able to finish your food, your combos didn't tack on enough percent for edgeguarding to be unnecessary, you couldn't pressure his shield enough to poke with other attacks, you couldn't do anything about him pressuring your shield, you got outplayed, and I don't see you beating this falcon for a while. Thats the hard truth of this game, but not to say you didn't do anything well in this set.. you certainly did but keep in mind, this is a critique and not listing of the pros and cons of choices you made. Occasionally I will throw in a THINGS YOU DID WELL section, but you need to understand more of the falcon samus MU for things you could do well to highlight your play in my eyes. Until then it is my opinion that you will be losing to the character over the player for most falcons midish level and higher.

Last edited:

BillNyeTheSamusGuy

Smash Journeyman
You have zero answer to punishing side b or stomp on shield, cant let falcon get away with that.
Do you have any recommendations for a match where this situation comes up a fair amount? I feel like most high level falcons don't do bad sideb's or stomps.

Also, in terms of mid vs high level play, I feel like better falcons stay more horizontal but my opponent was more vertical--- so I'm not sure what I should be analyzing, if you have any suggestions or thoughts on non-high level play analysis.

I just feel like there are a lot of bad things good players don't do that are options I have to deal with at my level of play.

Top Bottom