• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Video Critique Thread

Kushamo

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2165-5525-1625
Hey everyone! I'm a newbie about to go to my first tournament soon. Right now I want to be concerned with starting good habits/killing bad ones and just get a better feel of everything, so any criticism is much appreciated!

https://youtu.be/vTECaV04LZQ and https://youtu.be/QMSIuO0TbUI (sorry about the quality)
These are just netplay matches with random people who may not be the best at punishing bad habits, so go nuts

In addition, I have a few general questions -
-First, I understand from threads on this board and high-level videos that wavedashing should be one of my major tools, but I'm not exactly sure how to incorporate it into play. Is it situational, or just something I should do as much as I can? Is it just something you get a feel for as you progress?
-I know Samus's weakness is approaching from below, but I don't really know what to do against an enemy on the main stage when I'm on the top platform. Is this just part of Samus, and is it generally better to run to the side platforms vs just falling through?
-What do you do against a good Marth? Specifically, what's the safest way to get back onstage from the ledge? If I try to drop down > jump and aerial, I eat his sword, and get up/rolls get me grabbed.

dietsnapple89

Smash Apprentice
Hey everyone! I'm a newbie about to go to my first tournament soon. Right now I want to be concerned with starting good habits/killing bad ones and just get a better feel of everything, so any criticism is much appreciated!

https://youtu.be/vTECaV04LZQ and https://youtu.be/QMSIuO0TbUI (sorry about the quality)
These are just netplay matches with random people who may not be the best at punishing bad habits, so go nuts

In addition, I have a few general questions -
-First, I understand from threads on this board and high-level videos that wavedashing should be one of my major tools, but I'm not exactly sure how to incorporate it into play. Is it situational, or just something I should do as much as I can? Is it just something you get a feel for as you progress?
-I know Samus's weakness is approaching from below, but I don't really know what to do against an enemy on the main stage when I'm on the top platform. Is this just part of Samus, and is it generally better to run to the side platforms vs just falling through?
-What do you do against a good Marth? Specifically, what's the safest way to get back onstage from the ledge? If I try to drop down > jump and aerial, I eat his sword, and get up/rolls get me grabbed.
One thing I noticed is that you don't shield enough. It looks like you were just in attack mode the whole time, but you were getting hit with attacks that could have been shielded. I understand it sucks to shield against marth and sheik since they are grab heavy characters. However, if you are shielding and they come in for grab, you could spot dodge or wavedash back out of shield.

Another thing I noticed is that you use Down Smash alot. I love down smash and I know I spammed it a lot back in the day, but against better competition, players are going to shield it and punish you since its kind of a slow move, but it worked for you against noob players, so I'd keep using it haha. I'm just warning you that it won't work as well at higher level. I also noticed you used Dash Attack alot. What will happen against better players is that they will shield the dash attack and just grab you.

Getting up off the ledge against marth is difficult. If you can't ledge hop to fair, then I personally think the next best option is ledge roll. Most Marths will space themselves at a distance from the ledge where if you use get up, or ledge attack then they can just tipper fsmash. Ledge Roll will atleast get you behind them. This might result in you getting grabbed again and back thrown into the air above the ledge, but I think then you can do a little bomb jumping to throw off their timing if they are fishing for an fsmash.

Samus in general is better when she is on the ground and her opponents are above her. Samus gets ****ed by pretty much Marth, Falcon, Sheik, Jigglypuff, Fox, and Young Link if you end up above them on a platform. You can use platforms for movement, but don't stay on them too long because other characters can rack up a lot of damage on Samus that way.

Wavedashing is an important tool, but don't spam it like the noobs I see at every tournament. They just wavedash into attacks because they think wavedashing is the best tech in the world. One good way to use wavedashing is running at your opponent and then wavedashing backwards when you are close to bait out an attack or shield from the opponent. Obviously, it helps with grabbing ledge quickly.

Lastly, I think you should use more tilts like F-tilt and U-tilt.

Hope any of this helps.

Last edited:

dietsnapple89

Smash Apprentice
Hey all! can i get a critique on these samus vs sheik matches? I mm'ed this sheik then did a run back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wbyIiU8LBU money match 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dfvoAT1GrE money match 2

I did loads better the second round and was hoping someone could help me figure out why. Also, could I get some advice on my recovery vs this sheik?
For recovery you could have used your double jump/saved your double jump. Against Sheik, you will inevitably get sniped with needles on recovery. Having the double jump is helpful. I think the best way to recover against sheik if they are needling is, assuming you start high, bomb recovering right up until the level of the needles, then fast falling below that level and then double jumping/upB to ledge.

Good Sheik players will see that coming most of the time and respond by running off fair/nair/bair, but if you know that is coming then you can catch them with a quick upB and grab ledge or get back on stage.

If you are recovering below the ledge, still save your double jump because you will probably get sniped by the downward needles. When the bombs get spiked, you can double jump to closer to the stage and try grappling when you are in that space between the range of the needles and the stage.

Last edited:

Kushamo

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2165-5525-1625
Hey, me again! The tourney was yesterday and I did better than I could have expected! That is to say, I didn't get four-stocked anywhere. My best set just so happened to be the only one that was streamed, and I took two stocks off SS | Nicaboy, who went on to win the event.
http://www.twitch.tv/typohousegames/b/651276781?t=129m14s
This was just in pools (I didn't even advance to the bracket), so I was fortunate to get put in the same pool as him.

BillNyeTheSamusGuy

Smash Journeyman
Wavedashing is a defensive read. When you know your opponent is going to attack a specific position (generally if you read they're going to attack you where you are standing) wd back and punish. Hugs does this incessantly. Also wave dash forward ftilt is a burst option that covers like half of fd. I like to punish foxes with it if they commit too hard to laser camping.
Coming down is a mixup for samus, you have a lot of options that are all punishable in different ways so yo have to be a little random. Ways to get down: fast fall, bomb, fast fall nair, double jump->fast fall. I generally go to a side platform but the more important thing is to go for the area where their zoning is the weakest.

Your options depend on the marths spacing

If the marth is really close to the ledge you can: ledgehop fair->lcancel->upb/dtilt (upb is completely safe whereas dtilt can be punished depending on the situation) or wd onto stage. Maybe air dodge through the marth, just know that you will be punished but at least you'd be back on stage.

If the marth is farther back you can: do the hugs jump (no impact landing from ledgehop) then shield or dsmash (dsmash is frame 6 and has hecka range so it can beat a lot of options as an unreactable decision), do a plain ledge jump to the platform, or ledgehop->missile.

Also returning to stage is something that you should heavily mix up. You may find that you get punished for it everytime right now but if you use more options in general you'll find that roll/neutral get up/ledge attack become stronger options as well.

Also also also, this is only level one edge game type stuff. When your opponent starts getting past stuff like this you'll need to step it up by not only mixing up what action you take but also mixing up your timing on those actions. Do this by empty ledgehopping away from the stage and retaking ledge and/or hax dashing until you feel like attempting to get on stage.

I know you asked this a while ago but I just now read your old post and thought you had good questions!

Last edited:

Kushamo

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2165-5525-1625
Wavedashing is a defensive read.
I've s

Coming down is a mixup for samus, you have a lot of options that are all punishable in different ways so yo have to be a little random. Ways to get down: fast fall, bomb, fast fall nair, double jump->fast fall. I generally go to a side platform but the more important thing is to go for the area where their zoning is the weakest.
Heh, this actually seems kinda obvious, in hindsight. No option is strictly good enough that it isn't worth it to mix up.

Thanks for your answers!

dietsnapple89

Smash Apprentice
Hey, me again! The tourney was yesterday and I did better than I could have expected! That is to say, I didn't get four-stocked anywhere. My best set just so happened to be the only one that was streamed, and I took two stocks off SS | Nicaboy, who went on to win the event.
http://www.twitch.tv/typohousegames/b/651276781?t=129m14s
This was just in pools (I didn't even advance to the bracket), so I was fortunate to get put in the same pool as him.
Again, you were throwing out attacks but were not shielding enough. Wavedashing into and out of shield are good options against Fox. He is too fast for Samus, so you need to be ready to shield. Fox's grabs against Samus don't lead into much unless you somehow fall for his up throw into up air, so getting grabbed and thrown are better options than letting Fox hit you with a bunch of nairs, shines, bairs and uSmash. Eventually when you get good at anticipating when Fox is coming in for an attack you can start mixing in spot dodges to throw off your opponent so they can't automatically go for the grab. You should definitely use wavedashing backwards to bait out attacks from fox and then hit him with dSmash, ftilts, Utilts, etc.

Last edited:

Kushamo

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
2165-5525-1625
Again, you were throwing out attacks but were not shielding enough
Yeah, this is definitely where I've made the least progress so far, especially the mentality of being grabbed over eating attacks. Part of it is also that I'm not sure when I should shield.

You should definitely use wavedashing backwards
I was just going to say I've started doing this to help my spacing, and one of my friends even commented on it. I just need to practice doing it more and more until I get it consistently, because right now I flub it a lot.

dietsnapple89

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, this is definitely where I've made the least progress so far, especially the mentality of being grabbed over eating attacks. Part of it is also that I'm not sure when I should shield.

I was just going to say I've started doing this to help my spacing, and one of my friends even commented on it. I just need to practice doing it more and more until I get it consistently, because right now I flub it a lot.
Most of the time fox players opt for nairs, up smash, shines when they approach you. They will grab less often than attack because shine is so fast its like a bail out for them, so they aren't afraid to put on shield pressure with attacks against Samus. Also, Fox doesn't really get any great follow ups on Samus after grabbing her, so thats another reason they don't go for grabs. They'll only really go for more grabs when they realize you are going to shield every time. Thats why you gotta mix it up and use spot dodges too, so that you become less predictable.

Once you master knowing when to shield you can start doing UpB out of shield to punish Foxes that get too close with their shield pressure. And then Wavedashing out of shield to get out of some shield pressure.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

dietsnapple89

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys. I just recently got back into the smash competitive scene, and I happen to have a few videos recorded from some local tournaments I've attended. If at all possible, I'd like to get some players to critique my matches. Here's the links:

1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lg4DUCUu3yc
2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jnSwH_fxqQ&feature=youtu.be
3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-IMMXtGdGjg

Any kind of feedback is very much welcome. Let me know what is crucial to my samus game!
you're definitely good and with a few more months of practice and fixing some of your strategy you will be great. I think you mostly need more matchup knowledge.

I'll comment on your Fox matchup. Full jumping with aerials and being on top of platforms against fox is a bad idea. Sometimes reading when Fox will jump and trying to hit him with an aerial can work, but most of the time you miss and then get punished for it. Also, if Fox is on a platform, on battlefield, YS, PS, or FoD, I would opt for Up tilt from underneath first instead of an aerial like Uair, Nair or Fair. Because what I see from most fox players is that when they are on a platform above samus they see those attacks coming and they jump up very quickly to avoid them. If you go for the aerial and miss they are falling back down quickly with Bairs, and since they fall faster than samus, they will L cancel, jump and bair again or shine you off the stage and put you in bad position.

Staying grounded against Fox is definitely important because Fox's aerials are quick and he can get multiple aerials on Samus, similar to how Captain Falcon fights samus. Also, trying to stay center stage is important because if you are by the edge and get shined, a good Fox is going to followup with shine spikes off stage, so you don't want to end up battling near the edge.

D

Deleted member

you're definitely good and with a few more months of practice and fixing some of your strategy you will be great. I think you mostly need more matchup knowledge.

I'll comment on your Fox matchup. Full jumping with aerials and being on top of platforms against fox is a bad idea. Sometimes reading when Fox will jump and trying to hit him with an aerial can work, but most of the time you miss and then get punished for it. Also, if Fox is on a platform, on battlefield, YS, PS, or FoD, I would opt for Up tilt from underneath first instead of an aerial like Uair, Nair or Fair. Because what I see from most fox players is that when they are on a platform above samus they see those attacks coming and they jump up very quickly to avoid them. If you go for the aerial and miss they are falling back down quickly with Bairs, and since they fall faster than samus, they will L cancel, jump and bair again or shine you off the stage and put you in bad position.

Staying grounded against Fox is definitely important because Fox's aerials are quick and he can get multiple aerials on Samus, similar to how Captain Falcon fights samus. Also, trying to stay center stage is important because if you are by the edge and get shined, a good Fox is going to followup with shine spikes off stage, so you don't want to end up battling near the edge.
Thank you for your input. I appreciate the critique.

So, more or less you think I should use less arials to punish Fox when he gets on the top platform? Do you think the utilt should come into play when I'm reading him and believe he's coming down from the top platform? Or just when he gets on the other two platforms that aren't as high? How should I handle Fox when he is on the top platform already? I always seem to get punished by a fast fall->bair when Fox is on that top platform, so I would definitely benefit from fixing up my strategy there.

Thanks again.

dietsnapple89

Smash Apprentice
Thank you for your input. I appreciate the critique.

So, more or less you think I should use less arials to punish Fox when he gets on the top platform? Do you think the utilt should come into play when I'm reading him and believe he's coming down from the top platform? Or just when he gets on the other two platforms that aren't as high? How should I handle Fox when he is on the top platform already? I always seem to get punished by a fast fall->bair when Fox is on that top platform, so I would definitely benefit from fixing up my strategy there.

Thanks again.
I use Up tilt when Fox is on the two mid level platforms and I am underneath because it pokes, except on Dreamland. Also, even if Fox angles his shield down to block it and then shield drops through the platform, you can probably hit him with an UpB since it comes out fast and you can rack up a little percentage and the match will be reset to neutral game again. Another reason I won't do an aerial when fox is on the platforms is also because sometimes they shield and Nair,Uair, Fair won't poke them, allowing Fox to shield grab Samus when the animation is over (happened to you here: https://youtu.be/5jnSwH_fxqQ?t=5m3s). You could position your aerial in a way to land behind Fox to avoid being shield grabbed in that situation, but Fox can still shield drop through the platform and jump bair again or they could wavedash into attack/shine out of shield while Samus is in landing lag. None of those options sound good to me, so I think its best to avoid all them by not committing to an aerial attack in the first place.

Where it is good to use aerials is when Fox is coming back with Firefox or Fox Illusion. Obviously, they are stuck in those animations and they have predictable trajectories, so anticipating where they will be at after those moves and hitting them with an aerial while they are vulnerable and falling back to stage is a good move. You did a good job of this in the match you posted, so you know this already, but I just wanted to write it for anyone else.

Up Throw to Fair, Nair, Bair is a good time to do aerials as well. Another good combo to use against Fox on YS or FoD is Up throw so they tech on top platform, jump above Fox then read his tech roll or tech in place and then Down air to pop him up again. From there you can Nair, Up tilt, or FSmash while Fox is in hit stun.

When Fox goes to the very top platform, I let him stay there until he comes down. Chasing him up there will just lead to him quickly falling below you, which isn't a position Samus wants to be in against Fox for reasons mentioned earlier. You can try and read when he is falling from top platform and hit him with an Up tilt. It should be safe, because if you miss then you probably have enough time to put up your shield or spot dodge if Fox tries to punish, and then if he gets to close you can get him with an UpB. So I don't think its risky to try that read.

Last edited:

Narfanator

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
NARF#806
I've been too shy for this, but I'm getting over it.

I'm posting vids of me from back in the day and vids from now against the same match up.

Compare, contrast, critique. Spare no feelings, please. I don't like feelings....but not really.

Set vs. KFC[Fox] (from 2007)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLQGoaVo3dY (Round 1) Can you tell me what I did to survive at 1:47 too?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=od9QRzU2Nf4 (Round 2)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZKrSFoZaXM (Round 3)

Set vs. Snap[Fox] (from 2015)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rtaUMEWnsk

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Set vs. MacD[Peach] (from 2007)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pAelD3kRBIg (Round 1)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cM37__cbc04 (Round 2)

Set vs. Negative:C[Peach] (from 2015)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQ4av2eRI5k

Narfanator

Smash Apprentice
Slippi.gg
NARF#806
Here is a Match vs Excel_Zero, critique pls :)
https://youtu.be/csvGQ6vo-YQ
Hola, buen uso del las bombas en el primer juego. You can mix it up with two bombs then an airdodge back to the floor because the late airdodge at 3:24 makes me feel there is enough time for that. Your up+b needs to be FFed right after it's apex so you can get back to the floor as fast as possible. Also, you never caught any of the turnips. That's free food!

En el segundo juego te confiastes mucho. The first couple of movements I was thinking "Whoa, who is this guy?" and at 4:20, I thought "Oh, he's confident." You tried to scare him with your close presence but nothing happened and you got hit in gut with her hands. El resto es historia. I like that old school mentality but I feel it doesn't work unless you both are having a lot of fun.

The third and fourth...well a lot of enforced errors and all I could think it was his momentum from the last games carrying onto the second because he put a lot of pressure on you from the start. The catching of turnips (free food!) would have helped so much here. If Peach is floating about, don't approach from the air unless you have that northeast angle. I also saw you use more fairs in the previous round than these two. I know you weren't in position to do it more, but it's something to think about so if you decide to put yourself in the position to get good fairs going.

Overall, I would use the bair a little more even to the point of approaching backwards to use it. I would use less bairs from the platforms, though, because it became a bit predictable, and although it's good, they'll stop being in that area to avoid being hit. Your bomb use was magnificent and you can learn how to catch turnips during the bomb animations, then progress to bomb jump from them. If you ever feel the pressure of your opponent, it's ok to stall with platform missile cancel until you feel like "Alright, vamolos!". Peach is kinda slow, so she has to be extra careful on that approach.

Hope it helps!

Blazing

Smash Apprentice
Hola, buen uso del las bombas en el primer juego. You can mix it up with two bombs then an airdodge back to the floor because the late airdodge at 3:24 makes me feel there is enough time for that. Your up+b needs to be FFed right after it's apex so you can get back to the floor as fast as possible. Also, you never caught any of the turnips. That's free food!

En el segundo juego te confiastes mucho. The first couple of movements I was thinking "Whoa, who is this guy?" and at 4:20, I thought "Oh, he's confident." You tried to scare him with your close presence but nothing happened and you got hit in gut with her hands. El resto es historia. I like that old school mentality but I feel it doesn't work unless you both are having a lot of fun.

The third and fourth...well a lot of enforced errors and all I could think it was his momentum from the last games carrying onto the second because he put a lot of pressure on you from the start. The catching of turnips (free food!) would have helped so much here. If Peach is floating about, don't approach from the air unless you have that northeast angle. I also saw you use more fairs in the previous round than these two. I know you weren't in position to do it more, but it's something to think about so if you decide to put yourself in the position to get good fairs going.

Overall, I would use the bair a little more even to the point of approaching backwards to use it. I would use less bairs from the platforms, though, because it became a bit predictable, and although it's good, they'll stop being in that area to avoid being hit. Your bomb use was magnificent and you can learn how to catch turnips during the bomb animations, then progress to bomb jump from them. If you ever feel the pressure of your opponent, it's ok to stall with platform missile cancel until you feel like "Alright, vamolos!". Peach is kinda slow, so she has to be extra careful on that approach.

Hope it helps!
Ayudo mucho, thanks for the help :)
will work on some of this

BillNyeTheSamusGuy

Smash Journeyman
@ 343 343 Could you help me figure out what went wrong between these two matches, because I feel like I had a lot of control in the first one and not a lot of control in the second.

I've been working on my micro game with jabs and tilts like @ Litt Litt suggested. I also feel like my opponent here is just so far away most the time.

www.twitch.tv/gamersabbey/b/663178735?t=2h28m51s
first match...

first up+b was a little early, always make sure to wait until they hit you (unless you up+b before they dair of course)

no need for your first bomb, the defense there wasn't necessary since falcon wasn't moving around fast enough or was close enough to get you, an offensive stance would have been better there

bomb after that was good

nice jabs for shield pressure

no no, drop down below falcon to recover against him (at that height/distance), you'll either guarantee a tech against him or he won't be able to block your recovery. no ledgehop missile after charge shot off ledge?

ALWAYS jump after when up-throwing falcon onto a platform, you can at least pressure him

after your first death you were idling dropping off some platforms, always at least nair when falcon gets that close to you, worst case is that you both get hit instead of one of you

charge shot edgeguard (it missed) is unnecessary, up-tilt will kill falcon at that height+percent (which could have still been done after)

nice right side recovery after falcon gets back on his 3rd life, i think you got a little lucky though, nice shield grab after. on the recovery right before this i would have airdodge-ledgegrabbed immediately instead of waiting since falcon could have gone off and easily gotten you at that height/distance

after your uthrow (31:04 here) and falcon falls to the right, the bomb was unnecessary again as falcon was in a fall state and could not have gotten you anyway

nice grab punish after he nairs your bomb

bomb off ledge was unsafe and got you hit for it, would have been better to fall to ground or stay up high, because of spacing

ok, your recovery after that could have been way better. falcon let you recover pretty easy and as soon as he falls to ledgehog like that, that was your chance to ff+jump+ff (which you did)+dair onto the ledge, because either he's going to fall for your ff and let go himself (which you just immediately jump to respond to), or he'll stay on the edge and wait (which will let you recover), OR he'll get up and shield, and that's your cue to l-cancel your dair into a dsmash and pop him off the ledge as your dair will reduce his shield just enough for a dsmash to connect.

when you DI-ed off the ledge to reverse missile right after that, wait a tad loneger before missiling to gain more distance, otherwise he'll hit you like he did, if you had waited your missile should have hit him.

nice utilt/bait going on there

at 31:48 when falcon jumps on the ledge, that's your key there to back off because he has the stage advantage, you would either have to safely dash left dj+waveland left off platform with a bair behind you to prevent him from coming at you or just wd back to the right and stay in shield for a moment (or keep running and reset to neutral)

if you grapple onto the edge and falcon drops to up+b you while you're falling, falcon should whiff his up+b if you wait until you drop the full distance. i think.

when approaching, you've used a lot of fairs and on a couple of them you got hit, i'd say if it's not for-sure going to connect then nairs are generally a better option against falcon

falcon did a dair onto your shield you could have jump+naired out of. nairs to missiles are falcon's death, in general.

at 32:33ish you get thrown up where you jump, bomb, then fall right - an airdodge with a grapple-cancel back into your bomb with as it falls will cause falcon to miss you, since he will either be going for where you're falling (and he'll miss) or he'll be forced to wait to see where you fall, thus losing his punish opportunity.

ooh, if falcon went forward more he would have connected his knee with your early up+ on the recovery, just a reminder there i'm sure you're aware of

as you grab the ledge, when falcon utilts like that and he's gonna whiff, a quick ledgehop+fair will always hit him and at that percent i think you want to auto-cancel+dash or waveland past him (hold the fair above the stage onto his shield, you just don't want to fair into the ground too early)

also right before that make sure you don't reach stage-height when recovering, wait a second to jump, you never want to be fully-level with the stage when recovering against falcon, either way high or always just under, all he needs is a stage-level knee to kill and recover

solid end.

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Baldwin, NY, USA or Alexandria, VA, USA (Pick one)
Somebody help me please! I went to a fairly large, decently stacked tourney last Thursday and placed 4th. This is the only match that has been uploaded so far (it's Losers Semis):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IKM--8xcBM
I feel like I was doing well up until I lost the second game, and then the Fox's playstyle changed and I couldn't deal with it. :urg: Anyone think they could analyze this set for me?

Jokima

Smash Rookie
Last edited:

BillNyeTheSamusGuy

Smash Journeyman
This is me vs a falco-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTdT5YaCWzc

So I'm trying to deal with two situations in this match right now.

1) He ends up doing it less overtime, but I was having difficulty dealing with a laser-grab/laser-dair mix up. He easily gets into the situation cuz im trying to wd into shield to handle lasers and a potential dair. Grab covers me holding shield and dair hits me if I wavedash :(

2) Controlling options with missiles- I was trying to get some punishable reactions with missiles some of the time. I wasn't able to capitalize too often though. Ideas? I tried to use missiles at two ranges A) horizontal with falco and jumping over the laser to fire or B) missiling on a platform or missiling while moving off the platform.

I feel like I was doing well up until I lost the second game, and then the Fox's playstyle changed and I couldn't deal with it. :urg: Anyone think they could analyze this set for me?
So, forgive me for my noob-ishness, but I looked at the last match to get an idea of what was going on. Here's what I observed.

The fox was being fairly non-commital and reactionary with his attacks. He hung back and laser'd, waited for you to attempt a punish on his lasers then smacked you out of your attack with nair.

However he was commiting hard to a different option: shield. You'd attempt to beat him in the neutral and try to get dtilt/dsmash with some nice spacing, but because he was pre-emptively shielding, you ended up hitting his shield with a fair amount of dtilts and dsmashes. This dude literally ran-up->shield stopped in front of you a bunch. You tried combating this with jab pressure but he jumped out of shield a fair amount and you missed the punish on the jump.

It appears that grab would have been possible in this circumstance because of how hard he was committing to shield. Also, maybe bomb pressure? Also also, it didn't appear that he grabbed you too much so you could have potentially committed to shield more often as well. It might have gotten you some upb's on his nairs he was hitting you with.

Last edited:

Smash Journeyman
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeGmYrSX61Q

played weedlord (again). two weeks ago I played him and he demolished me (not on stream though). I felt a little bit less helpless this time, but he still repeatedly caught me acting too slowly / not processing what sequence of moves he was going for.

the spotdodges / rolls (sigh) oos are me trying to wd oos before shieldstun ends. still working on that.

I sometimes have horrendous DI, because I decide too late that I should be combo DIing and get hit with a kill move.

I had a lot of trouble edgeguarding his high upb -> drift.

I flubbed a bunch otherwise because I'm bad at inputs (did a fair instead of a nair game 2, and a nair instead of a chargeshot... amazing), so yet more practice (vs people better than me) is needed. My tech skill in tournament is extremely suspect.

BillNyeTheSamusGuy

Smash Journeyman
https://youtu.be/xeGmYrSX61Q?t=45s

You might have been able to kill him here with upb if you spaced to hit him with only one or two hits. And I know that seems kind of dumb, and its not the most useful situation to note, but I'm pointing it out for posterity.

https://youtu.be/xeGmYrSX61Q?t=8m55s

When you saw him upb I think you had enough time to take the platform. From there you could’ve covered the extreme ranges of his drift with dsmash on either side of the plat. Worst case scenario he fades to ledge which you may not have had time to get to if you took the platform.

https://youtu.be/xeGmYrSX61Q?t=9m55s

This one’s a little harder. I would’ve expected a drop in this situation as well, so I can understand your missiles here. Taking platform here would’ve, again, forced him to ledge or get him punished. Could he have taken stage?

In general, have you tried slowing the pacing of the match? This dude was booking it and you were trying to keep up but I feel that you could have gotten some value out of moving a little slower and being a little more reactive. He does have to come to you to win.

You opted for uair a lot? Was this a flub or is uair better than I realized?

Smash Journeyman
https://youtu.be/xeGmYrSX61Q?t=45s

You might have been able to kill him here with upb if you spaced to hit him with only one or two hits. And I know that seems kind of dumb, and its not the most useful situation to note, but I'm pointing it out for posterity.
I was definitely trying to hit him there, but was scared of getting upb'd myself :/

https://youtu.be/xeGmYrSX61Q?t=8m55s

When you saw him upb I think you had enough time to take the platform. From there you could’ve covered the extreme ranges of his drift with dsmash on either side of the plat. Worst case scenario he fades to ledge which you may not have had time to get to if you took the platform.
Yeah I think it would've been good to position myself slightly right of center of the plat, perhaps? then i could fsmash / dsmash on reaction (and probably even cover drift to ledge)

https://youtu.be/xeGmYrSX61Q?t=9m55s

This one’s a little harder. I would’ve expected a drop in this situation as well, so I can understand your missiles here. Taking platform here would’ve, again, forced him to ledge or get him punished. Could he have taken stage?
well, I'm still not confident that even had I taken side plat, I'd have been able to hit his top-plat recovery (sh bair maybe? not sure.) maybe taking plat is good as soon as I spot the upb though?

In general, have you tried slowing the pacing of the match? This dude was booking it and you were trying to keep up but I feel that you could have gotten some value out of moving a little slower and being a little more reactive. He does have to come to you to win.
last time I played him, I tried to play slower / more reactively, and just got destroyed. I think as of now I have a bit of trouble processing everything that a fast player does, so I try to predict a little too much, and end up running around throwing out a lot of moves. I agree that slowing down the place would probably be good vs a player like him, but I just gotta figure out how :)

You opted for uair a lot? Was this a flub or is uair better than I realized?
I mostly tried to use upair to either pressure him on top plat, or to cover an inward jump from the side plat -> top plat. I've found it pretty good vs falcon especially because they love going to the top platform. The uairs off the ledge were mostly missed AIs :|

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Thanks a bunch for the tips, @ BillNyeTheSamusGuy BillNyeTheSamusGuy ! :)

I came back the next week to beat that same Fox and place 2nd, and the bracket was large and stacked. Also, my regular teammate and I had placed 3rd in doubles the week before, but this time we placed 2nd (and I actually like and care about doubles a lot more than singles :p ), so I'm extremely happy with that, although I wish I could have done better against Kaeon in GFs. The only game I took from him was with Sheik. :ohwell: This time, I got a lot more matches recorded on stream, so here you go. Anyone think they could analyze my matches and give me some critique? Looking to improve a lot this summer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJD9mZbBXd0 (Grand Finals; Samus/Sheik vs Fox/Sheik)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uBc-hs0j7I (Losers Finals; Samus/Peach vs Fox; Runback from the week before ;) )
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkduSsBwL_w (Winners Finals; Samus/Peach vs Fox)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jm22KZY7GtQ (Winners Semis; Samus/Peach vs Falco)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trkR4cJ4GNw (Winners Round 2; Samus/Peach vs Sheik)

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Back to 4th place, although the bracket was larger and there was a bit more competition than there was before. :ohwell:
Only got a couple sets recorded this time around. Does someone think they could give me some constructive criticism, especially in my set with Animal? I'm having a really tough time dealing with his aggressiveness, and I'm not sure what to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4wXCF50EEE (Winners Semis; Samus vs Fox) <<<<< Vs Animal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RDIC8riYC0 (Winners Quarters; Samus/Peach vs Fox/Falco)

dietsnapple89

Smash Apprentice
Back to 4th place, although the bracket was larger and there was a bit more competition than there was before. :ohwell:
Only got a couple sets recorded this time around. Does someone think they could give me some constructive criticism, especially in my set with Animal? I'm having a really tough time dealing with his aggressiveness, and I'm not sure what to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4wXCF50EEE (Winners Semis; Samus vs Fox) <<<<< Vs Animal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RDIC8riYC0 (Winners Quarters; Samus/Peach vs Fox/Falco)
FoD and Yoshi's a better counterpick against Fox than Dreamland

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Animal struck and banned FoD for the whole set; otherwise I would have definitely gone there. Animal is extremely aggressive most of the time, so I don't usually feel worried about bringing him to to a big stage for the extra survivability. If I was up against a more defensive Fox, then I would definitely be more conservative about that pick.

Did you, by any chance, notice anything about the general way I played against him?

I am really happy I was finally able to win doubles. First week, I got 3rd, and then the next week, 2nd, and this time, 1st, and we won two sets over Knut and that Fox who was formerly giving me a lot of trouble to do it. :)

bubbaking

Smash Hero
I got first at this tournament, but only a couple of the streamed matches were actually uploaded. Got a pretty cool GIF onto the front page of r/smashgifs from the first 15 seconds of the one vs Falcon, lolz. :p Could someone possibly give me some critique/advice, preferably from the Winners Finals set?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtaavT72s24 (Winners Finals; Samus vs Fox)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhMeoEOWQHA (Samus/Ganon vs Falcon/Link)

BillNyeTheSamusGuy

Smash Journeyman
I got first at this tournament, but only a couple of the streamed matches were actually uploaded. Got a pretty cool GIF onto the front page of r/smashgifs from the first 15 seconds of the one vs Falcon, lolz. :p Could someone possibly give me some critique/advice, preferably from the Winners Finals set?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtaavT72s24 (Winners Finals; Samus vs Fox)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhMeoEOWQHA (Samus/Ganon vs Falcon/Link)
Why did that falcon not aerial your missiles before his shield broke?

Last edited:

bubbaking

Smash Hero
Lolz, I actually don't know. Maybe he didn't want me to punish him for committing too hard to dealing with them. Hey, at least it allowed me to pull off a semi-stylish 0-to-death Charge Shot combo. :p

So I've got another video. Got 5th in both singles and doubles, but both brackets were the largest they've ever been (53 entrants), so I'm not too upset about that. However, this set is of my most hated MU: Sheik. If someone could give me some help on my play and possibly the MU in general, I'd greatly appreciate it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbP9co8cE9k (Losers Quarters; Samus vs Sheik)

Last edited:
Top Bottom