• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Video Critique Thread

Corigames

Smash Hero
Duals: 1/27/09
If you are going to fire a missile, you need to make sure you are not inrange to be hit. Had that error been made around Sheik, ICs, Fox, etc. you would have just been grabbed into a huge auto-combo. Watch that spacing.
Your Dair was wayyy off. I'm not sure if you mistimed it or jsut didn't get your fastfall off, but that was just not pretty.
Are you guys really smashing the sticks that hard? I mean, I know we smashers are pretty rough on the GC controllers, but...
If someone is going to bomb jump that close to the stage, just walk up to them and Fsmash.
Timing on that Utilt.
After watching this match for 30 seconds, I can tell that Orange is a Windmilling kind of guy. Punish that. Shield to tilt. Shield Up B. Nairs. Something.
Wasted plasma.
When you dash in to attack someone, you dont' always have to dash attack. I mean, I know you are dashing and everything, but mix it up.
Bad call with that bobm jump. You shouldn't do that so close to the stage.
You are repeatedly being punished for trying to missile while too close to him. He's captializing on that by slamming you over and over again.
If he approaches you, put up your shield. Neither of you have even attempted a grab this whole fight, you shouldn't even be worried about the idea of that happening.
Mc timing.
Good Bair
Nice Tilt control. Keep that up.
Instead of firing off wasteful plasma shots at nothing, try homing missiles. They do the work for you ;)
Once again, the timing on that Utilt was off. Remember that the move starts at the top and takes a moment to go down. I know that sounds obvious, but you need to learn how to make the move connect in certain places.
He shoots a missile, you jump it, he runs in and dash attacks. This is the mold of your match so far. Did you notice this during the fight?
If you are going to SWD and take the time to try it throughout the match, make sure you actually do something out of it >_>
That last stock was too easy.

Shaeman111(Rhan) 1/31/09
Video 1:
Crew Battle on PS against PEach.. ok. LEt's go.
You are reacting too slow. You are doing moves against Peach as if she were standing still from the point the move started on. You need to hit INTO where she is going to be instead of where she was.
She doesn't seem to know how to float cancel close to the ground. That means you should be able to do some punishing on her by moving from platform to ground when necessary.
The way she originally had those turnips going, you could have hugged the wall, dropped down there with a Nair and sex kicked her off the stage. But you allowed her time to correct herself.
If you aren't going to commit to dropping down there, don't do it. You only get stupid damage from touching turnips. Remember, she's down a stock and is going to play D this whole time.
Nice call with the blast, but she still cOULD have avoided it. But, as long as it hits I guess.
Be careful with those Dsmashes. Getting caught in hers from it may not be a good situation.
Dat ***
Nice, a lucky SD is fine too.
Great stage control. The movement is making it very hard for her to retaliate with anything.
You aren't on a timer in this match, so you don't have to feel compelled to chase her into places that are only going to get you hurt. It may not look cool, but waiting it out will yeild you a much better bounty of stocks.
That's twice now where you've been seriously punished by that dash attack in the same spot. Make sure you don't let that happen again!
Fail grapple is fail
Wasted plasma is wasted

Video 2:
Oh boy... MArth... and this video is short.
No Rhan. So many bad things at the start. You run straight at him, jump into the air and try to hit him, and then get hit. No no no no no.
Stop all this jumping nonsense. Do you really think you'll overpower Marth in the air? Stop it.
Stay grounded. Plant your feet man. Dodge and punish.
Fsmash spam isn't any better though >_>
Then you go right back to the air when the invincibility wears off.
That was... pathetic....

Nyaaa(Tyser) 1/31/09 (I'm just doing one Falco and one Marth)
Video 1 :
I don't know what to tell you. You started out fine moving in with your sheild up, but then you started jumping around and bombing him. Falco will eat through bombs and jumping will only get you shot.
If you catch a break... don't just stand there afterward. You couldn't have really socked him in the face instead of taking that Dsmash.
Wall tech
The firs Up B was fine, but then you are suppose to follow it up with something while he's recovering from the hit, not try to do it again. He was compeltely open from his get-up attack and you just stood there.
Ewww, killed by a Utilt.
Don't just... stand there... when he approaches you. You get hit!
Two very lucky breaks in a row. To you make the best of them though?
Nice attempt with the blast, but your timing was a little bit off.
Grabbing, in my Falco matchup? It might be more likely than I think.
That was a weird hit on his illusion. Nice though.
The Up B out of sheild is suppose to entail that they HIT the sheild first and then you attack. If you assume they are going to hit it, then they can avoid it.
Nice Ftilt at the end.
That match seriosuly lacked Up B's from you though.

Video 4:
I like the movement, but you kept running straight into his blade after avoiding it one time. And one time is all it takes to set him off.
Gotta get on the ground. I hate getting stuck on those platforms.
Great dodging on that second stock, just needs a little better punish.
NO NO NO. Dont' chase MArth off the stage. Especially if you aren't at an angle to actually hit him. He would have died had you merely edgehogged him. Don't get ahead of yourself.
And then there's the Dair. ****.
Nice Bair.
You have to remember that Marth's Nair hits around 3 times before it's over. Otherwise you end up getting hit part way through.
Watch that spacing. I know you just miraculously recovered from a Dair, but you have to make the most of it by staying alive and not just leaping back into his arms.
Close one with that Utilt after the platform MC.
Bad grab is bad.
Good tech from that Dair, but you have to make it count for something.
Stupid built-to-tipper platforms.

-Philip Coast Philip- 02/03/09
Oh the sound is off :/ That sucks.
Good Up B's. Way to cotnrol his Dairs.
IT was sorta risky falling back to the edge while he was holding it. Had he jsut held on you would have died. Be careful.
Wow, I liked that Nair from the edge. Good **** man.
Bad call with that grab. Don't do it unless you KNOW you're going to get it.
Eww, he just went passed you to get back on the stage. You've got to keep him out there.
When he went off the stage (while you were recovering), I would have shot a missile at him. You could use the FoD recovery to make it back if you went too low.
I like all the midngames and options you are throwing out there. It's very nice.
You ran too far from the edge after recovering to stop him from getting back. Don't be too focused and living that you forget to kill.
Missed the sweet spot and caught that Bair.
That Dsmash should have been a Utilt for taking his stock.
He dodged the Fsmash, OH NO. Wait, he diededed.
Can't let him get you on the edge there.
Tming on that adgeguarding.
No Dtilts either >_>
OH ****, he hit you with a Uair off the... oh he died.
Too slow going to that Dsmash will guarding.
Oooh, be careful with those tilts. He'll getchya through them.
That Uair...

I'll look at Aftermath's stuff later or tomorrow.

Thanks for the critique corey :)
And way to plow through all those videos...

-yeah i have dumb trouble sometimes keeping falcon off... but i've been thinking of new things to add that i haven't been using thus far... so yeah.

-interesting idea on the missile - but... i guess i thought if i had missed, or if that hadn't killed him, and i had to use the fod recovery, he would have just ledgehogged me. maybe i'll try it more next time to get a feel for it.

-hm, living vs. going for the kill... i'll work on that more, meaning, i'll get more confident with falcon being on the edge while i'm at high percent...

-utilt vs. dsmash - sometimes i still have difficulty telling which one will hit and which one won't... like if i was too close to the edge, the utilt would have just gone past him? anyway.

and i'll work on the other stuff. i'm seeing some new stuff now that i look back on it... yeah. also, sorry the sound is off - that has to do with my capturing - even capturing uncompressed, and telling my computer to synch the audio to the video by sacrificing on audio quality... yeah. still gets off if the vid is longer than a minute or two. i can fix it, but... well it'd be editing the audio later on.. but yeah. easy to do... anyway. thanks.

Corigames

Smash Hero
Sure thing. You have great movement and attack variety. It makes it fun to watch and less frustrating than other videos I watch because I don't see the same mistake being repeated over and over every few seconds.

Aftermath

Smash Champion
The dsmash doesn't hit below the edge as far as a utilt or angled fsmash. On FoD it works better since you'll probably be on the water, which is lower than the edge, so it hits lower. Utilt has a hitbox below the edge for one frame, dsmash for 2 I think, and the fsmash for 4 frames. Out of them, the fsmash hits farthest below the edge. Until 55% the utilt is stronger than the fsmash though (in terms of knockback).

The utilt hitbox is pretty close to Samus, so you won't miss on Falcon ever most likely, maybe if it's timed unluckily and you are doing the "balancing on the edge" thing. Fsmash will miss if you are too close sometimes, so you should generally stand a little further back (you can be on the water on FoD to hit ridiculously low).

So basically, angling the fsmash is probably better in most situations. If the person techs often, then you might want to utilt, since it has less lag afterwards. However, on Falcons, you can vary how long you charge the fsmash as they recover to throw off their tech timing.

ihavespaceblondes

Smash Master
The dsmash doesn't hit below the edge as far as a utilt or angled fsmash. On FoD it works better since you'll probably be on the water, which is lower than the edge, so it hits lower. Utilt has a hitbox below the edge for one frame, dsmash for 2 I think, and the fsmash for 4 frames. Out of them, the fsmash hits farthest below the edge. Until 55% the utilt is stronger than the fsmash though (in terms of knockback).

The utilt hitbox is pretty close to Samus, so you won't miss on Falcon ever most likely, maybe if it's timed unluckily and you are doing the "balancing on the edge" thing. Fsmash will miss if you are too close sometimes, so you should generally stand a little further back (you can be on the water on FoD to hit ridiculously low).

So basically, angling the fsmash is probably better in most situations. If the person techs often, then you might want to utilt, since it has less lag afterwards. However, on Falcons, you can vary how long you charge the fsmash as they recover to throw off their tech timing.
This is really useful info, thanks Aftermath. I've never been sure which was the best option for edgeguarding and attempted sweetspot, I've usually just mixed it up for the sake of mixing it up.

rhan

Smash Hero
Thanks so much on the advice Corey. I really need to get the Marth vs Samus matchup down... Marth is such a jerk to Samus... -_-''

Corigames

Smash Hero
I'm not sure if what I did in that post was "advice," (It looked like I just yelled at you for doing something that wasn't working over and over and over again) but I think it is very, very hard to do anything to Marth in the air. You should just stick to the ground and try to control that. If you get hit into the air, try to just get back to the ground before anything else.

rhan

Smash Hero
Yelling at someone for doing something that is wrong is a form of advice in my opinion. I'll keep that in mind though. Samus is best in the ground against Marth now that I think about it. As long as you can stay at low percents anyway. Could possibly CC everything until it doesn't work. :confused:

I don't play many Peach's and I did realise I was being VERY repetitive. I guess I was too focused on talking trying to throw off the oppone that I wasn't focused on what I was doing....

If all else fails I still have Young Link and Sheik to back me up aginst Marth. I might just have to use Samus against the fast fallers like Fox/Falco. :(

Geist

Smash Master
I don't know if I said this already, but I'm going to be able to record my matches.
So you guys can tell me how bad I am and knock me off of my happy-cloud of ignorance.

Disclaimer: I have no one to face but my younger brothers, who have all been playing melee competitively for about 5 months, so the odds of me getting better opponents are the exact same as you guys getting a plane ticket to Vegas yourselves.

no johns.

Corigames

Smash Hero
I can play against some computers if you want to see me play... but... you know, that won't prove anything.

Corigames

Smash Hero
I'm just very angry about a lot of things right now. I guess so much that I can't even finish sentences.

I just don't want to have to deal with setting up for a tournament that isn't going to happen or is going to be repeatedly pushed back or forth on dates. I know it's still well over a month away, but getting days off at my job is very difficult, and so I have to get them in that far ahead. Then, to have to tell them that, after we worked something out, that I have to change them... and again... well, ****!

I can't wait for this thing to settle. If he says that it's going to happen on the 18th, ok. But I'm not going to come if it changes from that AT ALL. There are a lot of things going on around me right now, and worrying about a video game tournament in Ohio run by people I have never met before and share no sentimental value with is not very high on the priority list.

And I know that has nothing to do with Samus, but **** it. World owes me or something.

yarrr

i swear i had a dream with coreygames in it last night, like i went over to his place to play samus or something, and maybe rohins was there too... idk. it was one of you (lucky) forum people.

i think an upcoming (this weekend) tournament is subtley on the mind.

Alukard

Smash Hero
yarrr

i swear i had a dream with coreygames in it last night, like i went over to his place to play samus or something, and maybe rohins was there too... idk. it was one of you (lucky) forum people.

i think an upcoming (this weekend) tournament is subtley on the mind.
it was meeeeee

i'm everywhereeeeee

also watty .... come to my tournament ... we can **** with doubles samus in doubles =D

Corigames

Smash Hero
Yeah, sure... I'll make it to the tournament >_>

/sarcasm

2 weeks to plan a trip to NY.... ok... Not that I wouldn't love to come but, that's a long drive, an expensive plane ticket, or something else that's highly inconvenient.

Alukard

Smash Hero
Yeah, sure... I'll make it to the tournament >_>

/sarcasm

2 weeks to plan a trip to NY.... ok... Not that I wouldn't love to come but, that's a long drive, an expensive plane ticket, or something else that's highly inconvenient.
ok =[

well watch the crew battle i posted here =D

Geist

Smash Master
We should make a samus crew for genesis and kill the link crew and defile their bodies.
Who's up for it?

and lol at PCP dreaming about Coreygames.

Watty

Smash Lord
it was meeeeee

i'm everywhereeeeee

also watty .... come to my tournament ... we can **** with doubles samus in doubles =D
i am going to florida for spring break so i cant afford a trip to the NY. I think the MW is going and i was asked to go but i really dont think i can afford it

Alukard

Smash Hero
i am going to florida for spring break so i cant afford a trip to the NY. I think the MW is going and i was asked to go but i really dont think i can afford it
-____________-

but i just wanted to chill wit u and drephen ... =[[[[

u guys are soo chillllllll like if u were from nyc or sum **** lol

Corigames

Smash Hero
Sure, makes sense.

Though now I feel bad that I haven't dreamed of any other player I haven't actually met before. I have had dreams of playing smash... and being in it, but never of people from the interwebs.

AsianFlava_Tyser

Smash Journeyman
Penis Penis Penis Penis Penis Penis Penis Penis Penis Penis Penis Penis Penis Penis Penis Penis Penis Penis Penis Penis Penis Penis Penis Penis Penis Penis Penis Penis Penis Penis Penis Penis Penis Penis Penis Penis Penis Penis Penis Penis Penis Penis Penis Penis Penis Penis Penis Penis Penis Penis Penis Penis Penis Penis Penis Penis Penis Penis Penis Penis Penis Penis Penis Penis Penis Penis Penis Penis Penis Penis Penis Penis Penis Penis Penis Penis Penis Penis Penis Penis Penis Penis Penis Penis Penis Penis Penis Penis Penis Penis Penis Penis Penis Penis Penis

Geist

Smash Master
I had a dream recently that I somehow got into the situation of housing Cactuar, Jman and M2K for a few days before we car pooled to Genesis.
It was pretty accurate too. Cactuar had a huge sandwich and everything

I wonder if it's healthy to be dreaming about melee.

Alukard

Smash Hero
i also had a dream last night ....

but it was about women and liquor and sex!!! yayyyyy

Corigames

Smash Hero
Video 1:
OH bad, bad starting positions are bad. That sucks.
He's very slow on his reaction time. First he Dairs while you are above him, then he lets himself get hit by two shines in a row. The second one could have been easily avoided with a dodge, Up B Uair, or anything.
Up smash >_>
He also had bad timing with hitting you out of the get-up.
He seems to have no concept of what spacing is. He keeps trying to missile while you are very close and tilting while you are too far away.
He is constantly putting his shield down just in time to get hit by something
I don't think he's very confident in knowing what moves to use in certain situations. I don't think retreating Fairs against Fox are a good idea.
Nice Bair on Fox though.
Wasted plasma
good edgeguarding
He did the Up B when you approached but then just stood there when you came back from it. It does no good if you just get hit out of it!
I think he relies on jumping to Dair way too much.
Also, he lacks any variety of mindgames.

Video 2:
He's overly dependent on his shield and then dodging. He either need to shield a move or dodge it, not both. It's making him very slow to react out of the shield.
Also, spacing. Gannon Bairs.
Ledge bombs against Ganon? NO! Utilts. Utilt Utilt Utilt!
Once again, shielding and not reacting.
When he's tumbling after a hit, he could use a bomb to break out of it instead of just waiting to hit the ground or wasting a jump.
Punched in the baby hanger >_<
He shouldn't try to out power Ganon. He isn't going to beat out Ganon's fists with his tiny woman legs.
Bad grapple is bad.
That was a good run of hit leading up to the Utilt for the finish.
But shooting missiles while an invincible Ganon is right on you is not a way to live.
Bad grapples will get you killed.
You can't CC the Ganon hump.
Bad move from Ganon.
Bad grapple again.
Seriously. He got hit by the Utilt? >_>
Good utilt.

Video 3:
He is just getting controlled by Y Link due to his lack of spacing and timing.
Any time you are under Y Link, that Dair is coming. You just have to expect it.
There's not much to comment on this video aside from that. He's just letting himself get counter spammed and isn't able to make up for it in hand-to-hand. He then gets hit by obvious moves over and over again and then dies. He gets a hit or two in ever once in a while but...
Then, somewhere around 2 minutes, Y link completely changes his strategy. It's no longer about spamming stuff anymore, and he dies.
Up B spam Rhan?
Then a suicide...

Video 4:
He could have recovered from the bottom there, with a little more persistence.

He's letting himself get controlled by your Y Link. He has no mindgames that I can see and he's not focused on keeping track of where you are and where your spam is.

milkieee

Smash Journeyman
An old friend visited me yesterday and we smashed a bit.
After I destroyed him, my "diciple" (xD) tim wanted to play him ^^
I really thought he's goin' to smash the hell outta him, but
he got owned ^^

so pls. give critique and comment on his .. weak .. samus ^^
he really needs to improove ^^

[1]
[2]
[3]

Corigames

Smash Hero
I'm sorry, but what kind of video quality is this? Was this done with a camera phone sitting behind you? The frame rate is soooo low. :/

I'm sorry, I can't tell you **** about these videos because it's like trying to tell you how to dance while a strobe light blinks in your face. I can't really see what's going on; I can make an assumption, but then again what does that matter?

Kami-V

Smash Journeyman
Hi, I'm kami, though I'm going through a name change phase. Anyway, my friends and local competitors have been saying I'm getting very good, and even I see a lot of improvement in my play, so I'd like some critique from the rest of the world. I feel like I understand very well what good playing is and what things need to be improved on in my playing/others playing, but I'd like some opinions to make sure that my thoughts match others.

Anyway, I'll keep it short and just say that I feel (at least in this video/on this day of playing), I dash attacked too much, grabbed too often, and that I don't punish people enough for mistakes/take enough advantage of opportunities. Also, for whatever reason, I could not short hop for my life in this match.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faFmAVOMI1E

Thanks in advance.

Top Bottom