• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[VIC] Melbourne CouchWarriors 2011 - AGM News

Would you like to see a cash prize pool? (Public vote)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cronos_Rainbow

Smash Champion
I get what you're saying Strider....realistically though the FFAs are basically for naught. We are in the end a competitive community, albeit a relaxed and friendly one. Those who wish to play free-for-alls are welcome to do so at home as much as they like. If it's a heavily popular idea to play so many FFAs at monthlies not just because more people can play but because they are actually wanted, we'll handle this with a dedicated TV for it if need be. 3 new people can play per round, which will easily take care of even a group of 10 hopeful FFA players able to play in every third match.
I'll just tack on that I don't think it entirely sporting of us as a group that I can look around and see people never actually play except in their tourney matches, while others are practically glued contently to a particular seat. I think we're better than that.

Zant3tsuken

Smash Journeyman
And why don't we ever get to use the big projector thing... and why don't we use the room next to the one we usually use?
There honestly isn't a very good reason, just a bunch of little ones combined explaining why Smash doesn't get used on the projector. The main one though is truly just habit. The Smash comps take a very long time to run, so in one of the very early Stages when it was up there, it was there all day and people got tired of it. Since then they've just been used for the other 2 or 3 fighters being run on the day, plus whatever else we've thrown on for ****s and giggles. Also, Loki has just had the recorder hooked up for the thing for months now... so yeah... habit. It really sucks all round that we can't get the thing to record gamecube/wii games. If anyone has a modded American wii, it would be well worth trying. If any of you guys are wanting to sort out some time on the big screen, for some casual play earlier or some finals time then we can surely work something out, on forums or on the day Loki and I don't bite. :p

For casuals, the other room doesn't get used as much simply because somebody has to supervise it. I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving my stuff in there personally. As for competitions, initially we tried running stuff in there but it became a little hectic running 3 comps at once. Chasing people up became a pain. I remember a VF5 comp a few months ago but unfortunately 1 console to play it on meant that there wasn't much in it for the people showing up for it.

One member set up their PS2 and multitap and played the Bleach game in there last weekend.

On an unrelated note, does anyone own a Gamecube broadband adapter? I'd love to try the 8 player Double Dash next Stage, if it doesn't suck we could run a proper comp for Boss Stage.

Lastly, t-shirt concept for Couch Warriors.
http://www.couchwarriors.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7415#7415

If theres enough interest, we'll get these ready to go by Boss Stage. Feedback or other suggestions would be great.

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
im starting to bring my tv to help, some people seem to not try to help with the TV concept, yeah i know that some people arent allowed to take tv's or dont feel comfortable, but still if you dont want your tv touched just say not to touch it, you can run your own friendlies or such on it.

if you bring a TV we wont commandeer it and use it how we want, its up to who brings it. though when a tv does get placed in our hands, we make good use of it, also just because someone is already playing, doesnt mean you cant say "hey guys, we need this for the tourney, end the match please" it may be a bit rude, but things get nowhere if people dont take an initiative.

also if you want the tourney to run smooth, make it run smooth instead of complaining. help with peoples matches or help get tvs. this whole thing works as a COMMUNITY we need to each put in to make it work.

Atticus

Smash Journeyman
Just a thought, I think a lot of people are really inexperienced with teams (myself included) due to rarely ever playing team games outside the teams tournaments. For those TVs that do have four players, if we simply spent the time we currently spend on FFAs on team games instead, the standards of doubles competition could raise substantially.

Zan - I have a Gamecube broadband adapter I can bring.

Snakebite

Smash Journeyman
I would bring a television but I have no way of transporting it. Well it’s partly my fault for not having my driver’s license. But I would be happy to bring my television if someone could give me a hand getting it there lol.

I dont even own a cube or a wii at present, cant even practice. People are getting too good, need to get back into form. I'll be absent this comming saturday. I'm going to a 21st, so cant do anything.

freddo

Smash Journeyman
Any thoughts on how to get more TVs? Numbers (of players) have been getting bigger for these events and staying consistently large, which is awesome. I wish we could hire TVs but I don't think we have the resources yet to do that.

Since players are outnumbering TVs, we just need to be patient and polite with each other. I remember when Strider and I were looking for a TV to play on and Moogz+Assault+others kindly gave up their spot for us. We would have done the same for anyone else.

I have some thoughts/ideas. Can we push to get this thing started earlier? 11am? People will obviously miss teams entry but that's their fault until they learn to get there on time. I know some people are far away, but the monthly is only monthly. If we can start by 11, we can set up an official lunch break as well. e.g 1-2pm or 1-2:30pm. After lunch we can finish teams and already start with singles.

10am-11am - Setup + Friendlies
11am-1pm - Teams
1pm-2.30pm - Lunch Break (Sam and I and other drivers organise beforehand who will pick up lunch every month)
2.30pm-Late - Finish teams + start singles and finish monthly.

Another issue/idea. Just to the regular guys I get from the station - Oni. Mikul, 4blaze (rarely), Mark. I usually make at least three trips to and from the station. I've spoken to Mikul about this, while I love driving you guys I can't help but feel 3 trips is a waste of money/time. Maybe you guys can start a Melbourne transport thread for you far away guys to organise to meet up with each other so I can get you all in one hit? Requires some pre-organisation and commitment from you guys.

Let me know what you think.

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
well if someone else organizes the brackets, or sam stops being lazy and gets there early (LOL) we can setup the brackets early since he usually provides the laptop, we can use the board too if we want maybe? then you guys can start team or wtv without sam being late :p

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
"10am-11am - Setup + Friendlies
11am-1pm - Teams
1pm-2.30pm - Lunch Break (Sam and I and other drivers organise beforehand who will pick up lunch every week)
2.30pm-Late - Finish teams + start singles and finish monthly."

I like that. It's not all that different from the previous schedules. Thus, starting early would require a radical attempt to make Sam wake up earlier - we're doomed to failure, LOL! I don't think you guys understand the complexity of the situation. Let me illustrate.

*Rings Sam at 9.30am*
Cao - "GOOD MORNING SAM!!!!"
Sam - "moan"
Cao - "this is your wake up call. monthly's on today! can you get ready in an hour cus i'll be over by that time so we can just hit the road"
Sam - "OK"

*1 hour later Cao arrives at Sam's house"

Cao "sammmmmmmmm"
Sam - zzzzzzzzz....
Cao - "wake up sammmmmm..." *prod*
Sam - "moan"
Sam - "OK, i'm up, i'll hit the shower"

*half an hour later*

Cao - "Sam are you done in the shower yet? We're late again"
Sam - zzzzzzzzz
Cao - "get out of the shower!"
Sam - "moan"

*ok, now we're in the car*

Cao - "since you're an independent driver now, i wont help you navigate and see how you go - let's pick up redact"
Sam *misses 15 turns, 7 roundabouts and ends up in 3 suburbs he shouldn't have, even more late*

An idea about the TV situation - continue the smash fund after we have surpassed the budget required for Rambo. We can use the money to buy old-model/2nd hand TV's that are of 60HZ and decent size. The tv/s would be the property of the Smash community and whoever would want to adopt it in between monthlies and whatnot has the responsibility of bringing it to the tournaments.

freddo

Smash Journeyman
Oh man, that's a good idea with the tvs. Buy some old 60 htz stuff. I could keep 2/3 in my house alone and transport 5 tvs just in my car alone.

So we've pinpointed the issue in making these monthlies run much more smoothly - SAM.

Zant3tsuken

Smash Journeyman
The 52cm TV that I bring every month I bought from Aldi for $150. :)
I haven't had any problems with it so far, and it even has the PC connection thingy in the back as well.

If anyone has problems with concerns for a TVs safety, then it's probably best not to bring it... at least in regard to things like flat screens or anything delicate and fragile. If you're bringing your average 68cm or below fish bulb TV screens then really shouldn't have much to worry about when it comes to others using your screen, they are a lot less delicate than consoles/controllers etc.

Perhaps those that meet at train stations on their way could instead do the carpool thing and simply pick them up at their house, allowing them to bring any spare TVs they may have. With that and what Freddo said in mind though, please show your appreciation for the drivers. Throw in a couple of bucks, buy them lunch or make it worth their while somehow it it's within your reach. Without cars there would be no TVs. ~.~

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
i might have a meet at my joint this weekend, if theres enough people ill ask for tvs n such to come too, i dunno if my bro will be ok with it but if he isnt ill attempt to say just for my bday lol (even though it was yesterday) either way it already seems like redx/4tei are up for it, its most likley ill have it over sat/sun depending on what happens, ill have it all organized by 2moro

chicho619

Smash Rookie
Cao i'm afraid i will hav to go on sam's side here, sleep is pretty fun and i do enjoy it alot. That was pretty funny lmao...

With the tv's, sorry i cant contribute because there is barely enough room in my car for me and the crew and it is very hard to get a tv out of the house with out my parents knowing coz they are f***** strict...Sorry guys...

cya.. <God!>

Dekar289

Smash Hero
i might have a meet at my joint this weekend, if theres enough people ill ask for tvs n such to come too, i dunno if my bro will be ok with it but if he isnt ill attempt to say just for my bday lol (even though it was yesterday) either way it already seems like redx/4tei are up for it, its most likley ill have it over sat/sun depending on what happens, ill have it all organized by 2moro
happy birthday :chuckle: ;)

I'm up for it!!

Just a thought, I think a lot of people are really inexperienced with teams (myself included) due to rarely ever playing team games outside the teams tournaments. For those TVs that do have four players, if we simply spent the time we currently spend on FFAs on team games instead, the standards of doubles competition could raise substantially.
I completely agree, but thwn what happens to the winner stays on idea? Would the team stay on, and only 2 are replaced each time, or does the person with the most kills stay on?
I would say team stays on, we shouldn't need to get through 3 people at a time >_>
Teams practice, booyah! Plus, teams = increase in friendliness and stuff.

Stage 09 isn't being moved, so if you're going to eGames you'll have to go Sunday only, or not go to CW. I don't mind, game1 > eGames =/

Dekar289

Smash Hero
less people at game1... less lines... same stuff...
more chicks all-round, both in auto-salon and at all the gaming stations/areas.
there were no strippers and dancers and rappers chucking out copies of saints row at egames

xD

"say free stuff!" "FREE STUFF"

hero_link

Smash Cadet
i wake up at 6am every school day, school starts at 8:35 and i live 5 minutes away! SLEEP IS FOR THE WEAK like my sister for example who sleeps in until 1pm. (seriously i dont care about sleeping in, everyone does it!)

If i did go to the tourtament (which im already reconsidering, life without melee.......werid) then i could smuggle my Gamecube, a tv, memory card and game plus my 2 controllers past my dad but that's impossible since he owns a security company and searches my bag every time i go :(

Darkwing SykeDuk

Smash Dankist
I have the worst sleeping pattern, Go to kas's after getting up at 10am, go to sleep at 3am, get up at 8am, get home at 3:30pm, sleep for 3 hours, stay up until 9am yesterday, got to sleep and got up at 1am this morning.... FUUUAAARRRK!!

Mr. Phantasmo

Smash Journeyman
Lol I own all of you at funny sleep patterns. Deal.
As for TVs I'm more than happy to lend mine out under Cao's or Shaz's supervision. I think I have this Thursday off so I can call around to Shaz's and drop it off there if he is willing. The second hand TV idea is very good, there are so many places that sell good 60 hz TV for next to nothing.

chicho619

Smash Rookie
Yer sleep is awsome...on the weekend wen i got nuthin 2 do i go 2 sleep at bout 1am and wake up at 3.... wich is soo0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o ko0l lmao.....but hell wateva.....

by the way the next monthly is on my bday so u al beta go easy on me....nah im kiddin kik the crap out of me lmao...

cya

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
ok the meet at mine is going through, from 10 till 5 on sunday, one or two tvs needed, and cubes too
my address is 14 laburnum street, blackburn
my mob is 0421711720
if your coming, post here/tell me on msn/call me
need to confirm who is coming or not

Dekar289

Smash Hero
I'll be there redact.... with cube, melee, etc, tell me on MSN if you need THAT tv.

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
www.melbournesmash.wetpaint.com

ROOM CHANGE - The Davidson room is the new room (where Comrades 2 was held)

This is on the same day as the first day of eGames, but theres nothing we can do about it. eGames is on for 2 days so those who decide to come to the Monthlies can still attend eGames on Sunday.

This is the last chance for Ranbat points before Boss Stage. I will be devising a system which will fully utilize the points to give highest ranked players a large advantage in the Boss Stage. At the moment I am considering allowing only the top 10 Ranbat players to participate in the finals:

THE TOP 8
1. CAOTIC – 52 pts
2-3. CATS – 44 pts
2-3. Freddo - 44 pts
4-5. MikulOnIce - 34 pts
4-5. Markarse - 34 pts
6. Cronos Rainbow - 30 pts
7-8. Dekar – 26 pts
7-8. Red X - 26 pts
9. WILDCARD (will explain later)
10. WILDCARD (will explain later)

The BOSS STAGE Finals between the top 8 RANBAT smashers will be conducted in special bracket. The seeds will be based on RANBAT positions - not the VPR (Victorian Power Ranking). All other participants are still welcome to enter in a singles and teams tournament, but no points will be accrued from those events at the BOSS Stage. Simplified rules (such as RANBAT-ranked single elim) may be imposed on the open singles event to fastrack progress.

Important Note: We'll be sourcing medals and prizes soon for Boss Stage, so if you know anyone who might sponsor us, or just wish to make a donation, no matter how small to help us buy these things, please let us know.

Current Suggested Timetable:
12:00-1:30. Novelty comp if numbers? (Arcana Heart?)
12:00-2:00. Super Smash Bros. Melee (Teams)
2:00-3:30... Street Fighter 3: Singles
3:00-6.00... Super Smash Bros. Melee (Singles)
4:00-5:30... Guilty Gear Singles
6:00-7:30... KOFXI Singles
.................... DINNER BREAK ..................
8:30-10:00. Casuals / Novelty Comp

IF FOR SOME REASON BRAWL IS PLAYABLE IN EGAMES I AS WELL AS MANY OTHER SMASHERS WILL NOT BE ATTENDING

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
oh just to add, whenever we do eat for lunch/wtv, we are gonna catch the train to box hill or make someone fetch food from there lol, i may be able to host but i cant provide that much food lol

MikulOnIce85

Smash Ace
I won't be able to make it tomorrow, i've been asked to work tomorrow, and i'm not saying no to it, i've just had a week and a half off thanks to my bosses busy schedule.

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
aww i wanted sum mikul q_q

guys can people who are coming try to bring a cube and or tv? the count is to like 10 people

atticus
dekar
_x_
devil
icek
4tei
twug (good friend named alex)
dd (another guy named daniel)
another friend named graeme
and there might be freddo if lucky

but either way, i need more tv + more controller (as i think the unranked arent bringing controllers) dekar, bring yours anywho, 50hz wont kill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom