• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[VIC] Melbourne CouchWarriors 2011 - AGM News

Would you like to see a cash prize pool? (Public vote)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zant3tsuken

Smash Journeyman
Good news guys. We checked out the John Curtin band room looks really good. We can't switch to it just yet because it's being renovated, but we should be able to switch to it for next months Couch Warriors. Should everything go well and we keep going back, it's likely that CW monthlies will become a Sunday affair.

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
For those of you who aren't aware of the John Curtin Bandroom, it's located in Lygon Street Carlton, a 5 minute walk from Melbourne Central Sta.

Suntan Luigi

Smash Lord
Oh that's great to hear. Now I don't have to waste 2 hours just to get to the venue. So it begins on the July monthly eh?

That does mean that the monthlies are going to begin earlier since people will have an easier time getting there?

Great Aether

Smash Cadet
Good news guys. We checked out the John Curtin band room looks really good. We can't switch to it just yet because it's being renovated, but we should be able to switch to it for next months Couch Warriors. Should everything go well and we keep going back, it's likely that CW monthlies will become a Sunday affair.
That sux. I like it better in latrobe, much easier for me and my friends to get there. I just don't wanna go all the way to the city for the tournies. Also Sunday's a bad idea bcuz of school.

Zant3tsuken

Smash Journeyman
I'm sorry to hear that a few from the north will be inconvenienced, myself and Loki are both from suburbs nearby to Latrobe, so we have to travel farther too, and we agree that a great many more people will have a much easier time getting there, not to mention the better parking (at least on Sundays) food and facilities.

More details will be available as we go over the details and confirm a date.

bylim5

Smash Journeyman
all trains go to the city. even if it may take long, the route is more direct. For me, going to latrobe and back is equivalent to 14 tram trips or 20 train trips to and from the city :s
so you'd guess who's happy about the city venue. hehe :)

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
Parking is easy, it's in a quiet part of Carlton, where the Trades Hall and Old Goal is, but is very close to Melbourne Central

Great Aether

Smash Cadet
Yeah but I live in Mill Park and we'd have have to leave early be4 it gets dark. I don't think I can even stay for long during singles.

Though I am turning 16 soon so I can go for my learners and someday I can drive there when I get my P's.

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
im thinking of starting brawl teams at 12, when the other CW things start, to make singles earlier (since the 1pm shift, i notice at least 2-3 people having to pull out halfway with singles) and ive been asked whether its possible or not to have a 12pm start
if people are heavily opposed here, ill start at 1pm but really i would prefer to have friendlies at the end/an extra event again, over the late start
also theres always the issue of late sam for his laptop.... but atticus has a laptop, could get him tio and things work around a normal time rather than sams funny schedules :p

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
Just in case the timetable change is made I'll have to edit the times on the following boards i've advertised this event:
- australiangamer.com
- aussie-nintendo.com.au
- palgn.com.au
- vooks.net

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
It only happens when I try <3

***CHANGE OF VENUE NEWS (tentatively for July onwards)***

Loki said:
Loki and I got to check out the John Curtin the other night, and we're pleased to say that we are happy with how things look, and will be making arrangements for the ranbat after this month, so with any luck the upcoming one will be the last one at Latrobe for a while.

So here is the skinny so far:
The Room Itself
While the bandroom is being renovated, we can tell so far that the room probably has slightly more space than our old Latrobe one. Power points, power usage and sound will not be a problem for obvious reasons. Also the room has an insane sound system that we will have to make the most of, with a stage. Rock Band anyone? The room also has a small bar set to one of the corners that will not be used during our events. Probably my favourite feature though, is the half a dozen couches lying around just to help us grow into our own namesake.
The downside to this of course is that we lack tables and chairs. Committee will be looking into buying cheap foldout tables that can safely support the weight of TVs and consoles, and chairs.

Venue Logstics
http://www.thatsmelbourne.com.au/DiningandNightlife/BarsandPubs/AllPubs/Pages/2092.aspx
27 LYGON STREET
CARLTON 3053 VIC
Basically if you are taking trains in, all you have to do is get off at Melbourne Central, head to Russel St and walk north or there abouts. For drivers, parking will be largely quiet on Sundays, and there will be a window of time (TBA) where the back door of the pub will be opened, that open directly to stairs for moving equipment. Because this won't always be opened, major equipment contributors will benefit greatly and turning up on time (wink Sam ^^). Also to people providing equipment, please don't leave stuff in the car. While it's quiet and Sunday, it's still the city, and your stuff will be much safer inside.

Venue Costs and Concerns
Currently the owner is happy to let us use the room for free, providing that they get our business, which means food and drinks. Counter meals are all reasonable and $8 each, which feature very traditional Aussie meals like parma's, steak and fish and chips. Being a pub, they also sell softdrink, orange juice and various forms of alcohol, which is where they get most of their business from. We raised the concerns with our underaged members, and he was not at all concerned. From a legal perspective, one or a few of us will have to be considered 'guardians' of the group. Considering that I have a 'working with children' permit, I'm happy with responsibility. The first thing that comes to mind is using coloured wrist bands similar to what Minifest used to help bar staff identify people over 18.
As far as drinking and playing goes it's fairly safe to say that anyone that gets hammered and presents a threat whether intentional or incidental to either fellow members or equipment will be asked to leave. Also, there will very likely be a rule in place about keeping food and drinks away from equipment, as we are all much more liable to spill glasses than cans.

Time & Date
As mentioned early, as long as we hold monthlies at the Curtin, the events will be on Sundays, which should hopefully curb your intentions of getting smashed >. Also, currently the time the venue opens is 2pm to 10 or 11pm. The late start time is a pretty big deal to us, and the owner has already stated that he wouldn't mind us coming in earlier around the back to set up. We will be looking at options to start earlier, please keep in mind that this will either be an issue of cost or trust.

This is all based off a prompt tour of the place with the owner and discussion with Loki and Dom afterwards, so everything here is subject to change, and none of this is confirmed until we have a set date. Nonetheless, I'm excited!

Oops, I meant to post about this last night and completely forgot.
Ok, some other information off the top of my head.

To make the venue work for us, we will need to procure foldout tables and chairs.
There are several couches upstairs, but I don't think there's quite enough for everyone, and there are next to no tables, thus this is something that we need to remedy in order to use the otherwise awesome venue.
We'll be looking into buying some tressle tables and cheap foldout chairs for CW equipment, but what I'd like to know, is whether anyone happens to have tressle tables etc... that they are able to bring along, as this would of course help.
Otherwise, please be on the lookout for cheap tressle tables and fold-out chairs and we'll discuss all this in the next committee meeting.

Secondly, all this information is pending discussion by the committee, but we want to get your opinions on it now, voice any concerns you might have, tell us what you think so we have all the facts before we plan everything out fully.

Finally, I'd still like to keep the $5 entry as we will use this money to procure necessary equipment and prizes to make the event better, though we will no longer be able to sell drinks or bring in outside drinks.

But yes, I've probably forgotten something, but we'll do our best to keep everyone in the know, but most importantly right now, we need your feedback.
Tell us what you think, ask us if we've forgotten something.
CAOTIC said:
Sam works at Ikea and can exercise a 15% discount if we exploit him.

They sell cheap furniture

Atticus

Smash Journeyman
i'm not always on time myself, and it will take me longer to get there if we're moving to lygon st ... although i don't think i'll be later than sam. i already have tio.

Mr. Phantasmo

Smash Journeyman
I'm completly 110 % with the new venue and day, this would mean working or not I could come to all monthlies, except if my girlfriend wants to do something (I knew there was a down side to dating).

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
fortes marks went down from over 9000% to just under 9000%
and your following his footsteps, everyone is
except dekar, dekar is just failing on his own <3

edit: i already said dude, this is the Melbourne VCE thread, run by chris and cobalt
ps: we still teaming cobalt ?_?

heartless_pit

Smash Cadet
Hey Sora u got it easy im practically D averaging maths lol...
i have to study twice as hard, they changed it so i HAVE to get C+ average to pass !
And i just dun got the drive, i mean homework or a chance to own sum nubs at something im good at ?? hmmm, hard choice NOT

Also can someone tell me where the next tourny is i really couldn't be stuffed ready cao's giant qoute...

Great Aether

Smash Cadet
Hey Sora u got it easy im practically D averaging maths lol...
i have to study twice as hard, they changed it so i HAVE to get C+ average to pass !
And i just dun got the drive, i mean homework or a chance to own sum nubs at something im good at ?? hmmm, hard choice NOT

Also can someone tell me where the next tourny is i really couldn't be stuffed ready cao's giant qoute...
As expected of Kajix, cbf'd doin maths lol. And also this month, latrobe next month John Curtin bandroom right guys? In Russel St near melb central?

Cao I friend requested u on myspace.

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
It only happens when I try <3

***CHANGE OF VENUE NEWS (tentatively for July onwards)***

IMPORTANT STUFFS

the change of venue is from july onwards, this monthly is still the same, dont get confused people

i haven't received any objections to a 12pm start to its looking extremely likley, so plan things around a start that time now, organization will be made to change first post/advertisements, but i'm just letting people know as early as possible

TL;DR: same venue this month, new time of 12 rather than 1

Jei Jei

Smash Champion
NNID
Jei_Soul
3DS FC
1564-4103-8935
phil you are one sexy biatch ^^
ponies ftw
will miss CAO sorely
meet on saturday?
a complete sentence?

or maybe another ddr meet where nay and i can just play healing vision on heavy over and over again

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
dont forget afronova standard haha
but the amount of times i played like tsugaru, healing d vis, xepher, matsuri japan and the few other songs we play, jesus it just kills me to play it so many times
oh yeah dont forget exotic ethnic <3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom