• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[VIC] Melbourne CouchWarriors 2011 - AGM News

Would you like to see a cash prize pool? (Public vote)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Atticus

Smash Journeyman
Hey, let's talk about stages. OP says 'standard Rocky ruleset', which offers this...
(from http://www.couchwarriors.org/bam/melee.php)

Random Stage List:
Dream Land: Fountain of Dreams
Kanto: Pokemon Stadium
Mushroom Kingdom: Rainbow Cruise
Past Stages: Dream Land
Past Stages: Kongo Jungle
Special Stages: Final Destination
Special Stages: Battlefield
Yoshi's Island: Yoshi's Story

Counter Stage List:
Dream Land: Green Greens
DK Island: Jungle Japes
F-Zero Grand Prix: Mute City
Kanto Skies: Poke Floats
Lylat System: Corneria
Mushroom Kingdom: Princess Peach's Castle
Mushroom Kingdom II
Planet Zebes: Brinstar
Termina: Great Bay (teams only)

Is this still the intended stagelist? Some of these stages being legal is surprising, especially MK2 and Peach's castle, and I'm pretty sure we didn't have Rainbow Cruise on random at the last CW.

TakFR

Smash Lord
NNID
TakAE86
Random Stage List:
Mushroom Kingdom: Rainbow Cruise Move to CP imo
Past Stages: Kongo Jungle Uh.... what. I have never seen this on random at any monthly apart from teams

Counter Stage List:
DK Island: Jungle Japes Favors some characters a lot aka Falco
Mushroom Kingdom: Princess Peach's Castle lololol massive button lag into tipper
Mushroom Kingdom II Ban k thanks

Green Greens i'm not to sure about, the only two things i can see that are wrong are the falling blocks which spike and the bombs which can explode randomly. However apart from that it's an ok stage

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
Random Stage List:
Mushroom Kingdom: Rainbow Cruise Move to CP imo
Past Stages: Kongo Jungle Uh.... what. I have never seen this on random at any monthly apart from teams

Counter Stage List:
DK Island: Jungle Japes Favors some characters a lot aka Falco
Mushroom Kingdom: Princess Peach's Castle lololol massive button lag into tipper
Mushroom Kingdom II Ban k thanks

Green Greens i'm not to sure about, the only two things i can see that are wrong are the falling blocks which spike and the bombs which can explode randomly. However apart from that it's an ok stage
stages are fine, if you provided sound reason as to why actually not have any, i would be keen to open up discussion about it, and cao probably will too

but the reasoning as for why certain cps should be banned is actually terrible, jungle japes doesnt favor falco as much as say mute city favors peach or corneria favors fox, if stages favoring certain characters was a reason to ban them, then the stage list would look very different than the current list

are you going to suggest that something such as a button being laggy is as bad as say the lava in brinstar? like the stages arent exactly perfect, but your reasoning is pretty terrible

if anything, i would actually prefer this list for the neutral/cp list, since the stage listing if anything looks good, monthlies arent majors, sure theres money on the line, but these stages are the variety i personally enjoy

TakFR

Smash Lord
NNID
TakAE86
I'm just bias against Jungle Japes due to the klap-trap and the abilty to illusion straight to an edge =P, I guess it's fine to keep, i'll just have to use a strike against it

You really think that a walk-off edge stage such as MK II is legit for a tournament just because you enjoy playing on it?

In Brinstar the lava is easily recognisable and gives a fair amount of warning that it is coming up or going down, it also gives you the ability to DI it when you get hit by it. Buttons just appear at completely random times in an instant and give no DI what so ever as far as I know (feel free to correct me on this)

With Congo Jungle I was just stating that i've never seen it on random in singles before =P

kupo

Smash Lord
Something to cp you on Deks. ;D

People are stuck in the mindset of still having 6 neutral stages rather than the 8. Like Tak, I didnt see Kongo set on neutral. Either that or random liked the 6 usual stages :p.

Quite suprised to see MKII as a counter pick...Dekar and I were just poking fun at how its fun to tech and do crazy stuff. Besides that, I think it's a really clustered level to play teams on. Singles...well...side kills would be a bit too easy hey (in theory)? You may as well open up Yoshi's Island as a cp too (yay for ceiling kills).

I'm neutral towards Rainbow Ride since it's not really classed as a "normal stage". But I like the variation in the starter stage picks. Out of the list of stages, I'm a bit confused as to why Green Greens is considered a legit cp along with Peach's Castle (singles). Also ROFL @ Great Bay as a team cp. I just find it funny thats all.

I've never played the above two (excluding GB) levels against top players. Any insight would be appreciated :). I'd love to see Onett as a CP. It was a cp at @m! LOL!

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
Quite suprised to see MKII as a counter pick...Dekar and I were just poking fun at how its fun to tech and do crazy stuff. Besides that, I think it's a really clustered level to play teams on. Singles...well...side kills would be a bit too easy hey (in theory)? You may as well open up Yoshi's Island as a cp too (yay for ceiling kills).
thats in theory, every match i play and watch on these levels, there is almost 0 killing off the side easy, because people dont fall for that. people know to stay around the middle of the stage, its really not that broke overall, theres no instant death random events, not area for people to infinite

just dont play near the edge if you dont like it, simple as that

its not broke in any way, and if it is, no on in australia utilizes it anyway or even knows how to

pp castle is not like the bullet o bill will kill you, nor will a button
the button may be instant, but its not like you touch it and youll be 0-death from it or die instantly
they only get about 1/2 a second extra, heck it could also break combos if people are too slow to react to it

if anything i thought people would complain about wall shine infinite, but hey if youre scared of the button then you should probably look at it from all angles

Splice

Smash Hero
just dont play near the edge if you dont like it, simple as that
Don't mean to seem like I know much bout Melee but...

If a stage requires a drastic change in play style (not going near the edge in this case) so that you don't get killed with a single thow/strong attack all of a sudden, possibly in the middle of a situation that is your advantage, then I think that should be criteria for a ban...

I mean ok, Jungle Japes is awesome for Falco, that's a good CP then. But people can still run around and combo and whatever freely, just uh, don't stay on the ledge too long :p

But if MKII restricts gameplay that much, than I think that makes it considerable for a ban.

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
Don't mean to seem like I know much bout Melee but...

If a stage requires a drastic change in play style (not going near the edge in this case) so that you don't get killed with a single thow/strong attack all of a sudden, possibly in the middle of a situation that is your advantage, then I think that should be criteria for a ban...

I mean ok, Jungle Japes is awesome for Falco, that's a good CP then. But people can still run around and combo and whatever freely, just uh, don't stay on the ledge too long :p

But if MKII restricts gameplay that much, than I think that makes it considerable for a ban.
you realize the whole keep away game is exactly how ANY spacie/falcon has to play with jpuff already on 90% of stages? somewhat the same with peach/marth? people are perfectly fine and capable of doing it, but then you have a cry about mk2? one btrow, bair or fsmash over the edge at almost any % = dead unless puff stuffs up

marth is just as good at gimping and such on the neutrals too

if anything i would say gimping is harder on those stages as compared to some of the neutrals, due to the way the stage is laid out

also if youre getting thrown/hit off, the situation was never in your advantage or you stuffed up, both of those mean you deserve to be killed in the first place

stuff up a shffl on puff near an edge on a neutral = dead

That's like saying if you don't like the acid on brinstar, stay away from it
you realise that the whole game on neutral stages is already like that?

dont like getting bthrown against puff? stay away from it

also whats wrong with saying stay away from the lava in brinstar? rather than give me some stupid analogy that doesnt actually make sense, maybe give me legitimate reasoning as to why mk2 is bad rather than just say "lol mk2"

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
That's like saying if you don't like the acid on brinstar, stay away from it
rainbow cruise really really really shouldnt be there imo, disadvs chaingrab char (ics, anyone vs fox) too much

also at the tournys we usually just have fd, battle, dl64, yi, fod, and stadium on, i have never seen these on in singles
id say brinstar is worse for ics tbh, even the top ics players ban brinstar over rainbow ride

Splice

Smash Hero
you realize the whole keep away game is exactly how ANY spacie/falcon has to play with jpuff already on 90% of stages? somewhat the same with peach/marth? people are perfectly fine and capable of doing it, but then you have a cry about mk2? one btrow, bair or fsmash over the edge at almost any % = dead unless puff stuffs up

marth is just as good at gimping and such on the neutrals too

if anything i would say gimping is harder on those stages as compared to some of the neutrals, due to the way the stage is laid out

also if youre getting thrown/hit off, the situation was never in your advantage or you stuffed up, both of those mean you deserve to be killed in the first place

stuff up a shffl on puff near an edge on a neutral = dead
Keep away game? That's not what I was talking about. I mean you can go and defend the edge of the stage against Puff on say peaches castle or whatever you like, but on MKII there isn't a real "edge" to do that on. Why is Jiggs so prominent in your argument? Are you saying that MKII is bad for jiggs because the normal easy kills she has over the ledge aren't as good for her (coz they are on higher ground/less room to set up) and that all chars can do it on this stage?

Because my point was that ALL chars can get an easy NO SKILL REQUIRED kill on the edge, and that can change the match. It has nothing to do with MU's : It's just something different from normal game that occurs on this stage.

Ok, so stay away from it? Then you are restricting gameplay onto the tiny bit in the middle. That's not keep away, that's PLAYING IN A TINY AREA. Like, playing on the back of the Corneria ship in brawl, it's just stupid.

id say brinstar is worse for ics tbh, even the top ics players ban brinstar over rainbow ride
Brinstar isn't a neutral though. Just because there is a stage that is worse as a neutral than Rainbow Ride for the char in question (IC's) doesn't justify anything. In case that's what you were saying ;)

kupo

Smash Lord
IC's a risky in teams since you're open to attacks from all directions. If you lose Nana...well...you're on your own. You have the option to:

a.) Wing it with IC's and hope for a win
b.) Play a secondary first round, then IC's for second
c.) Strike the stage
d.) Hope the opposing team strikes it.

Ball's in your court.

Either way, your posts sound like they should "only" benefit your grabs. There are sections where you have the opportunity to do so. Like previously stated, Brinstar is even more of a danger.

Ok, so stay away from it? Then you are restricting gameplay onto the tiny bit in the middle. That's not keep away, that's PLAYING IN A TINY AREA. Like, playing on the back of the Corneria ship in brawl, it's just stupid.
Like I previously stated, it's really clustered for a small level. Really player dependant on whether you want to jump in and take risks or not. See above comment. In regards to your comment like the corneria ship in brawl, it's your choice to fight in that area. The only reason you'd want to be there is if you'd want to wall tech survive at high %'s or character/strategy to lure/kill the opposing player. It's hectic in doubles, but at the end of the day, it depends on how you play and where you feel comfortable with.

I'd rather much MKII to be banned but be a cp for singles (maybe).

Atticus

Smash Journeyman
To elaborate on my own thoughts...

MK2 is an amusing stage for goofing around on, but tournament legal? Seriously? Stages with floors that extend off the sides have been almost universally banned all over the world for a long time for good reason. Instead of the usual edgeguarding, players can enjoy ******** gimp attempt gameplay in which your character often isn't even on screen. Even if it wasn't abusable in a broken manner, it's still just stupid. The rest of the stage isn't exactly full of redeeming features either.

PPC: Not AS bad, but...
- Huge tower in the middle practically begs the winning player to camp on the other side
- Bullet Bill and random buttons and blocks and **** add an exciting competitive element to the gameplay (vomit)
- Wall infinites available all day
- Why is this terrible stage legal

I'd also like to see Green Greens banned myself, it's pretty silly with its falling blocks and bombs and apples, but it's not really as bad as the above two.

I don't have any complaints about the surprising neutrals personally, just wanted to make sure everyone was aware of them for next time. I'm not really advocating that RC should be a neutral stage but Timic, your reasoning for wanting it knocked off is terrible. Chaingrab characters get to have their best legal stages on neutral, why shouldn't there be bad stages for them on neutral as well?

Also maybe worth considering is moving from the random select with one stage strike system to the stage elimination system where they take turns removing neutrals until one stage is left and then play that? Takes more effort but removes the element of luck and guarantees the most neutral stage possible for the first round.

Surgi

Smash Journeyman
Shadow Temple, trying to find the mirror shield
For one, why is RC a neutral? Neutrals are stages with no stage hazards, but there are plenty in RC. Dissapearing platforms, moving cameras, falling blocks, that gay bit at the end where the camera drops real fast and can kill you out the top if your hit up and cant get below the platform. Therefore RC should be a CP. Secondly I personally like MK2 and think it should be a legal cp. It favours certain characters over others, just like brinstar and dreamland favour jiggs, just like Pokemon stadium and corneria favours fox the list goes on. There are stupider stages in the cp than mk2 thats for sure. PPC is a ridiculous stage wtf is it even being considered for, reffer to attcius post^ for evidence i cbf retyping them all again. Replace PPC with MK2, make RC a cp.

Splice

Smash Hero
Also maybe worth considering is moving from the random select with one stage strike system to the stage elimination system where they take turns removing neutrals until one stage is left and then play that? Takes more effort but removes the element of luck and guarantees the most neutral stage possible for the first round.

You'll need an odd number of stages to do this properly. currently there is 8 stages.

Redact

Professional Nice Guy
lets not have dekar lose before winners finals this time imo, im tired of playing him in losers semis or some ****

kupo

Smash Lord
lets not have dekar lose before winners finals this time imo, im tired of playing him in losers semis or some ****
It's most likely you'll be playing for 3rd. Which means, you win money!

It seems unlikely that I'd make it at this stage...despite voting the 3rd. I may or may not come (due to bf).

Least battling for third will be interesting ey? Rather than the usual!

p.s Sorry Earl =(

Surgi

Smash Journeyman
Shadow Temple, trying to find the mirror shield
haha

EM you have to come... it isn't an option to not come nuff said.

Dekar don't be mean XD

Red you can win if you believe in yourself and get hammered before the tourney ;D (to all little kiddies out there drinking is bad D:<)

lol im happy not to face mikul aswell

****it timic cant you not come too?

Dekar289

Smash Hero
just watched falcomist vs dashizwiz grand finals
this is why peach and puff should be banned
also seeee marth ***** falco whatup

who's up for smash this weekend
i am

CAOTIC

Woxy
BRoomer
MELBOURNE MELEE TOURNAMENTS (CouchWarriors - Stage 33)

Start Time: Saturday, April 3, 2010 at 1:00pm
End Time: Saturday, April 3, 2010 at 10:00pm
Street: 1 St. Heliers Street
City/Town: Abbotsford, Australia

Location Map:
<iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=q&amp;source=s_q&amp;hl=en&amp;geocode=&amp;q=abbotsford+convent&amp;sll=-33.874217,151.207704&amp;sspn=0.009228,0.01929&amp;gl=au&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;hq=abbotsford+convent&amp;hnear=&amp;radius=15000&amp;ll=-37.793168,145.00803&amp;spn=0.005866,0.009634&amp;z=14&amp;iwloc=A&amp;cid=15814101279004658503&amp;output=embed"></iframe><br /><small><a href="http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=q&amp;source=embed&amp;hl=en&amp;geocode=&amp;q=abbotsford+convent&amp;sll=-33.874217,151.207704&amp;sspn=0.009228,0.01929&amp;gl=au&amp;ie=UTF8&amp;hq=abbotsford+convent&amp;hnear=&amp;radius=15000&amp;ll=-37.793168,145.00803&amp;spn=0.005866,0.009634&amp;z=14&amp;iwloc=A&amp;cid=15814101279004658503" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>

CouchWarriors is into its 4th year, and the 2010 Season is now underway.

2010 SEASON (Dates are subject to change)

Stage XXXII - March 6
Stage XXXIII - April 3
Stage XXXIV - May 1
Stage XXXV - June 5
Stage XXXVI - July 3
Stage XXXVII - August 7
Stage XXXVIII - September 4
Stage XXXIX - October 2
Stage XL - November 6

Remember, your attendance to CouchWarriors events throughout will enhance the delivery of this year's national Robocop tournament. So please show your support!

New to the scene?
If you're new to the tournament scene here is a couple of frequent Q&A's:
"Is this for pros only?" - The tournaments are open for everybody. The skill range is diverse, so don't be discouraged from attending. Not everyone that comes to the tournaments are competitive. Most are friendly and welcoming of new people. A lot of us are also a fair lot more outgoing than your average gamer. We are a community-based legion of Smash Brothers.
"What is the average age of a Smasher?" - Smashers are your typical gamer age. Those that come to the tournaments are between 14 and 25 years old. Bring a friend. Or two.
"Who can I call if I need help?" - CAO! On 0466352145.

Schedule:
1pm - 4pm: Melee Teams
4pm - 9pm: Melee Singles

Rules:
Refer to the Standard Rocky Ruleset for both games.

Entry fees: $5 CouchWarriors Entry Fee
$5 Singles Fee (Melee), 100% of this collection goes back into the pot
All teams events incur no cost.

Pot Distribution = 60/30/10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom