• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

(VIC) Meet-by-Meet Tournament Season 'GET GOOD' | BRACKET IS UP!!

Splice

Smash Hero

Credit goes to Suno for the Image. Check him out on Tumblr
Larger HD version of the Image: http://i.imgur.com/cj2O08s.jpg

Due to the current lack of a stable venue (and certainly no frequent tournaments) I have started running some tournament brackets for the VIC Melee regulars to grind some results. These brackets run over the course of several months, with people finishing their bracket matches when the opportunity comes. The first tournament took slightly longer than reasonable, so a couple of rules are in place to try to attempt a faster bracket.

RULES:
1. Make sure you can come to one meet within 3 weeks. A 3 week absence from meets will result in a forfeit of your current set. If both players that must face off are continually absent, a small extension of time will be granted and the outcome will be decided by a coin toss and the winner will forfeit their next match (both will end up in losers).
2. If no meets occur in 3 weeks, the tournament will obviously be delayed but it is still advised that people find a way to play in the mean time.
3. Dolphin Netplay is an acceptable means of playing out the tournament set if both players agree. Test your connection beforehand and make sure you are ready to play. Don't start the set and then spike and say it's no good; that's dog.
4. Entrants cap at 16 and tournament begins immediately when all spots fill (after I make the bracket)

If you are frequently busy and don't think you can make one meet a month, and Netplay is not a reliable alternative for you, then don't sign up for the tournament.

More rules will probably be added in the future but this seems like it'll sort out most of the problems.

Stagelist: Starters = YI, BF, FD, FoD, DreamLand. Counterpicks = PS. No bans in a best of 5. Dave's stupid rule applies to all sets.
Hopefully these results can be taken (with a grain of salt) on board for seeding at bigger events and also keep the hype going between some of our more dedicated players. There will be some prizes for the top spots on the leaderboard as an incentive for some higher calibre players who are available to play. Probably just money out of my own pocket.

Put your hand up in this thread to be added to the upcoming bracket.

CURRENT BRACKET START PLAYING YOUR GAMES

In case of early forfeits/no shows; 17. Vaughn will act as a replacement

PREVIOUS RESULTS:
Get Good 001 - Feb 17th to April 26th

LEADERBOARD
Position: --[__1__] [__2__] [__3__] [__4__] [__5__] [__6__]
Gametag: -[Dekar][ Tom ][Splice] [ Tak ] [ Miles ] [ Seb ]

7. Tim - 2
8. Cody - 2
9. Jamwa - 1
10. DD - 1
11. Jei - 1
12. Bus - 1

Minor note (no-one cares): Some might notice the way Winners move into Losers side of the bracket is a bit different from normal. This is still pretty functional for results and works just as good assuming the seeding is completely accurate, but also can look a lot more wonky and dodgy when upsets occur (seeding goes wrong). However the bracket is concocted like this so that if the right people show up at the tournament, the most matches can be played to move through the bracket faster.

Last edited:

Milun

Smash Ace
Suggestion: What say we have the same bracket, but for multiple games? So instead of just playing a round of Melee, you play PM and Smash 64 while you're at it? Just seems more effective.

Also sign me in.

Last edited:

Splice

Smash Hero
Suggestion: What say we have the same bracket, but for multiple games? So instead of just playing a round of Melee, you play PM and Smash 64 while you're at it? Just seems more effective.

Also sign me in.
This is a Melee only tournament, we're not playing P:M or 64. Playing them is in no way more effective because I am only interested in Melee results, as are a lot of others.
At this point there is no incentive to run a P:M tournament alongside this, not everyone that wants to play Melee wants to play P:M. And no-one wants to play 64 it's trash (no offence Tom. For everyone else, offence intended)

Splice

Smash Hero
Is this more of a top player entry type thing, or are amateurs welcome too?
I don't know why so many people think you have to be a certain skill level to enter smash events.
Are you able to make the commitment to attend a couple of meets and get your matches played? Can you travel into Inner-Melbourne for these meets? Do the RULES sound like you can follow them?
If you can answer YES to those questions then you are 100% eligible to enter this. Would you like to?

Dekar289

Smash Hero
the tournament season is called 'get good'
so the only players who should hesitate to enter are those who believe they already 'good' (ponting?)

Jei Jei

Smash Champion
NNID
Jei_Soul
3DS FC
1564-4103-8935
Yeah one meet every three weeks sounds feasible for me. Kindly enter my name into this competition.

Nicks

Smash Journeyman
Sign me up! I am 90% sure I should be able to make at least 1 meet a month. If I am wrong, then I apologize in advance billy

Splice

Smash Hero
Yo, signups are finished, the bracket is up so you can start getting some done on Netplay or organising meetups or just training in your room and studying your opponent while you wait for a meet to occur. You could also just listen to some electronic music and play DotA, or purchase Dark Souls II for your PC.

BRAKET

Last edited:

Juci

Smash Apprentice
if anyone drops out im in, seeing as you put alot of effort into this i am inclined to participate haha.

PrettyCoolGuy

Smash Ace
Yo, signups are finished, the bracket is up so you can start getting some done on Netplay or organising meetups or just training in your room and studying your opponent while you wait for a meet to occur. You could also just listen to some electronic music and play DotA, or purchase Dark Souls II for your PC.

BRAKET
Far kew! I'm not 12th seed :'(

Splice

Smash Hero
Far kew! I'm not 12th seed :'(
It's true, you're not actually 12th seed. Those numbers are entered when challonge makes the bracket (coz by default that's the most balanced)
Then alterations are made by me based on grey areas in seeding, so that the results of this tournament can be used to get a better idea of that.

For the record, you're 10th in my books Alex. Bu$ is 12th seed.
I made an image justifying all the positioning and elaborating how great the bracket really is, but I decided I won't be posting it since it would pretty much give you spoilers on the exact results of the whole tournaments (with about 8 standout sets which could go either way to give a better indicator of who is higher seed between lower players, and the usual 6 different sets between the top 4 of this tournament giving a really clear indicator of who is better between them).

Last edited:

milestaf

Smash Cadet
The guy who moved into the living room at HoC did. Pretty sure his name is smith. **** smith.

Dekar289

Smash Hero
ktmfinx i love that name
it's like mattdotzeb
something about it, i hope he gets good so i can chant that lol
'KTM! KTM!'
'ZXV! ZXV!'

Last edited:

Splice

Smash Hero
Thanks to the people who already got some matches played. We're 3 sets in to the bracket!
The image in the OP is updated with this info.

We're still waiting on a lot of first round matches to complete.
In the meantime...

Newly recruited HoC | FinXx vs. Jamwa
Keen to see it

Last edited:
Top Bottom