• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[VIC] 2011 CouchWarriors - 12th Nov - The Hive, Box Hill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tomiie

Smash Apprentice
Wait so there's going to be a low-tier and normal tourney ?

Edit: woops misread. so its going to be a low-tier but first timers can use any character ?

Tomiie

Smash Apprentice
I'll be a first timer at this tourney, meaning I can use any character ?

Dekar289

Smash Hero
yep! assuming jei approves... which he will
low tier is just a once-off anyway, only like this because it is the last couch warriors monthly of the year

Jei Jei

Smash Champion
NNID
Jei_Soul
3DS FC
1564-4103-8935
Yeah pretty much is going to be a low tier tourney for singles and switch partner for doubles.
Splice already asked if newcomers can choose any character and I said as long as the opponent agrees, I guess it shouldn't be any hassle if I just change that to a solid "Yeah, sure why not? Stop bothering me."

Earl MK legal for doubles.

Tomiie

Smash Apprentice
Hmm.. I'd feel pretty cheap if I were to win using a high tier character. Might as well make it a low tier for everyone.

Just to clarify, by low tier you mean just low, like no middle tier ?

Dekar289

Smash Hero
nah, go on, play whatever you want mate
if you were to win it's be a pleasant surprise for the entire scene

Splice

Smash Hero
Attila, Double MK is not the best team in the game, only if you dont know how to deal with it it's the worst.

Having two characters the same in doubles means that you arent abusing the fact that one character can cover all the situations MK can't scrape off kills - surprise, MK doesn't have the best kill in the game for every situation - and you also lose a stock tank.

From experience, MK dies earlier percents in doubles than singles because he doesn't have the same tools to protect himself. For example, GaW dies later in doubles because he can protect himself better, or at least as good as in doubles, coz of move duration and how this helps the ally aid GaW.

Basically, I'm sure the best team in the game features MK.
It's just not double MK.

And also, just because a team features MK doesn't mean it's better than any team without MK. I'd rather vs MK and Jigglypuff team then any other match of two A tiers lol. Jigglypuff lol rest doesn't even kill.

AND ADDITIONALLY
just use high tiers in low tiers if you're allowed yo
Winning is winning right? don't feel dirty about that :)

Splice

Smash Hero
i dont think we have enough MK mains for a double MK team.

Oh wait, watch out for Daniel and Haikal [forget how to spell :s)
They will double MK nado you

Scared Attila?

Jei Jei

Smash Champion
NNID
Jei_Soul
3DS FC
1564-4103-8935
^What she said.

Low tier is F and below.

Ike
Sheilda
Luigi
Sheik
Ness
Yoshi
Pkmn Trainer
Lucas
Mario
Bowser
Samus
C.Falcon
Link
Jigglypuff
Zelda
Ganondorf

I would say it will be Earl (Ike) Attila (Lucas) Viva (Mario/Luigi) Trex (C. Falcon) Dean (Ganondorf) and myself (Yoshi/Jiggs) competing for the top spot as well as the newcomers using high tiers <3...
Other people could step up and surprise, at least I hope.

Bowser D.X

Brawl Player
I feel like a total noob for asking but what on Earth is this tier stuff everyone is talking about? And how will it effect the tournament?

earla

Smash Lord
you can only play a char from the ones listed above in ei's post. unless its ur first tourney. then play whoeva.

is melee normal singles?

iffy on coming to brawl. dont rely care bout whose the best with bad chars. mayb

Dekar289

Smash Hero
hey earl, word on the street is melb isn't banning mk in 2012...
also melee singles is swiss i think (into 4 or 8 man bracket)

Bowser D.X

Brawl Player
Damn and I had been practicing alot with Marth. Well I guess I will play as Link or Bowser.

Splice

Smash Hero
Damn and I had been practicing alot with Marth. Well I guess I will play as Link or Bowser.
You can use Marth at the tournament. You are still pretty new, this is either your 2nd or 3rd tourney right? Just use Marth and dw bout it mate :)

this is an unhealthy attitude.
Why? Why is it unhealthy? If Earl doesn't want to compete in something he is not interested in... then whats the problem? I don't enter street fighter 4 coz I have no interest in it, is that unhealthy? This isn't a traditional brawl tournament, and if your only desire or the thing that makes the game fun for you is perfecting whichever characters you enjoy competitively with the proper ruleset, then it'd be more unhealthy to enter low tiers than not, because you'd be wasting your time if you just came to lose 2 games with some character you never play because they feel like mud.

ALSO

lol jei thinks his jiggs is better than mine rofl
seed me next to you in bracket jei, enjoy 9th place

Dekar289

Smash Hero
poor assumption that earl only plays to win
low tier just isn't everyone's cup of tea, fair enough

Attila_

The artist formerly known as 'shmot'
BRoomer
'not caring who's the best with bad characters' translates pretty fluidly into 'caring about who's the best with good characters'.

no?

Splice

Smash Hero
Yes it does Attila.

Problem?

That shows a healthy understanding of priority

earla

Smash Lord
ya i wana beat anyone using their best char playing at their best.
i enjoy competition.

low tiers alrite, BIG SURPRISE .. i prefer playing the chars i put practice into.

Jei Jei

Smash Champion
NNID
Jei_Soul
3DS FC
1564-4103-8935
Sorry Splice, I don't think my Jiggs is better than yours, I just forgot completely about it.

And yeah Ringworm, it's fine for you to use Marth if you want to.
Sorry to hear that Earl, after playing your Ike I would say you are capable of rolling over the rest of us.

I passed the message on to Nicks btw.

earla

Smash Lord
thanks

its all good if thats what the community wants. 2 sandbag tourneys as the main events doesnt rely excite me. i'm drawn to the intensity of smash. close sets like atticus n me at acl melb. im sure people respect that.

dean.

NNID
dean7599
3DS FC
1435-4425-6023
Everyone comes to tournaments for different things. I just like playing Smash of any sort at any level.

Jei while I appreciate the vote of confidence I'd be very suprised if I did well, unless these secondaries I have up my sleeve come to the fore...
But in all honesty, the results would just likely mirror those of regular singles, just with like ViVa higher or something.

Is partner swap doubles confirmed? Can someone explain the exact method? Like, does everyone in the same part of the bracket get their names pulled out of a hat to see who they're teaming with/playing against.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom