• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Viability Ratings v2 | Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trifroze

all is cheese, all is jank
NNID
Trifroze
This is the argument I disagree with the most. Let's go through the Arts' strengths and weaknesses.
This is what you disagreed with however:

Most monado arts create as much as or more weaknesses than strengths
It's out of context though, you cut out a central part of it and this is the full claim:

Most monado arts create as much as or more weaknesses than strengths mostly because it's harder for Shulk to take advantage of them than it is for his opponents due to most characters having better overall tools
Jump, Smash and Shield are seriously tampered by this fact, and I did note that jump is good for recovering, but it's not intrinsically good for anything else because you take more damage and knockback while it's activated, and this way it can be risky offstage as well unless you get to recover very high. Smash is so dangerous because it makes Shulk die equally fast and it makes his attacks less safe so shielding pretty much defeats it despite Shulk getting a moderately strong dthrow. In addition most characters have better and safer kill options to abuse Smash art, although it may have uses for something like edgeguarding. I still disagree with you about the usefulness of shield except versus very slow characters. Most can literally just double jump over him when cornered and Shulk simply can't catch them on the way over, plus it's still not hard to just beat him in neutral in that situation. Speed you said is good versus characters with better neutral, and I did mention that speed is probably good in some matchups. Buster for everything else, it's a good art.

I still think any good placements that you may have gotten in France with Shulk can be attributed to player skill rather than the character. Finland used to have a Shulk getting top 5s as well, but we also have a Lucario winning almost every tournament, and hell, one player who doesn't play often has won 4/4 tournaments he's entered with Palutena/Falco. Meanwhile myself and like 5 others are right behind, quietly gazing upon them with our top/high tier characters.

Regardless, Shulk does have a really poor neutral game if you know how to abuse his startups and endlag / landing lag, otherwise he can keep people out quite well but that's irrelevant. His disadvantage isn't good either due to the same reason, and his advantage mostly consists of single hits and if he misses a read he can't frametrap you because his attacks take a long time to finish. His up b as a recovery doesn't autosnap very well so it can be straight up meteored or otherwise screwed over by many characters, and if he drops deep enough that the up b does autosnap, you know exactly the timing for his up b and will be able to intercept it regardless. Jump art is an essentially free recovery but it's not infallible and not always available.

FlynnCL

Smash Journeyman
Glossing aside how much I hate playing Puff in neutral, I also hate being punished on hit (at low percents) for anything that isn't perfectly spaced while retreating. Her attacks are strange in that they have minuscule base knockback but significant scaling. Her combo ability should be here considering her great aerial mobility (and it has been demonstrated to work in Melee and 64), but it is clear that she was intentionally designed to not reliably combo the moment Rest becomes a viable KO threat. Her moves were given unfavourable knockback.

All these problems makes her design just feel fractured, which I guess is understandable if they're scared of designing a Jigglypuff with easy Rest combos, but it doesn't excuse others parts of her kit which seem badly designed. An example being her back-air sweetspot (which KO's like 30% earlier) but the hitbox is positioned closer to her body rather than her foot. This doesn't sound like a huge issue but the hitbox does not take priority over the foot sourspot and they appear to overlap slightly, this makes hitting sweetspot back-air near impossible (especially since it already takes 13 frames to come out and it has 2 active frames). I don't really get what they were going for there.

She can be very fun but I get so salty thinking of her design. I feel that way towards Doc too but hitting people with up-air up-b combos and jab reset f-airs makes you feel good about yourself so I can't help but love him.

Last edited:

Browny

Smash Hater
I think the idea behind changing bair was to make it a quick, strong attack that doesn't overshadow the other aerials, because that's pretty much what happened in Melee.
Except bair is painfully slow.

I can never really adapt to how slow it is now. From what I can gather, it was frame 9 in melee, 8 in brawl and 13 in smash 4.

Her nair is now her best aerial by a significant amount IMO.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
The thing with Zelda / Puff / every other perceived "bottom-tier" is, somebody has to be on the bottom. It doesn't matter how good, bad or indifferent they are, unless you balance the game to be absolutely equal in every possible context, there will have to be somebody that's perceived as weaker than everybody else. Even PM, a game with relatively strong 1v1 balance, has its bottom-tiers. They might be damn good bottom-tiers relative to every other Smash's roster, and probably more than capable of holding their own with most of the roster in, say, Brawl, but they're still the weakest character(s) in the game and therefore must be the worst.

People need to stop treating bottom-tier as some kind of inescapable prison of absolute non-viability or a terrible curse that brings only shame and ignominy. It's inevitable, somebody has to be down there, even if it's just because they're not as objectively good as everybody else. If that character happens to be your main, then that's just the fall of the dice. Trying to demonstrate why your main is better than perceived is fine, but trying to convince others that "this character is mid-tier, you just don't get their true potential" does nothing. It's a platitude. It does not yield productive discussion. If your character is the worst, it doesn't make them objectively bad or fundamentally unserviceable, it just means they're not of the same distinction as other, higher-tier characters.

If you really want to prove your character is good, don't vent your frustrations typing this in-depth theoretical treatise on an internet forum, go out and do something with them. If you really believe in what you say and you're willing to defend your beliefs in front of the whole world, then pick up that controller, get to training and make something of the character. Hungrybox made people take Jigglypuff seriously in Melee. Nairo demonstrated that Doc, in the hands of a skilled player, has viable opportunities. You probably won't be either of these players, at least not immediately, but you might make waves in your immediate scene or beyond. It's a damn sight more productive than citing theory and results that don't mean anything to anyone, trust me.

FlynnCL

Smash Journeyman
Except bair is painfully slow.

I can never really adapt to how slow it is now. From what I can gather, it was frame 9 in melee, 8 in brawl and 13 in smash 4.

Her nair is now her best aerial by a significant amount IMO.
Yes! I feel the same way about her back-air now. I think her back-air in Brawl was a significantly better move and was absolutely necessary to her.

This is her back-air hitbox in Brawl. It was active on frame 8-12 (now it's 12-13). The image shows the first frame of the hitbox and Jigglypuff has yet to even extend her foot, this meant that her back air was significantly disjointed for its first frame. The hitbox matches her animation a lot more in Smash 4 and it's why it's much less effective at spacing.

Smash 4's back air also removed the closest hitbox, increased its landing lag from 15 to 18 frames, shoved up the auto-cancel from 23 to 28 frames and worst of all bumped up its interruptibility from 33 to 40 frames so she's now unable to perform two in a short hop.

If they wanted to give her an alternate kill move they shouldn't have taken it out on her best spacing tool, and they definitely shouldn't have weakened her smash attacks either...

Last edited:

Rizen

Smash Legend
Ironically Jiggz was the 3rd worst character in Brawl and she somehow had a better Bair. Similarly I miss Brawl Zelda's lightning kicks and Usmash.
Do you guys see Jiggz as bottom 5 or more like bottom 10? It's hard to precisely order within tiers but she definitely feels underwhelming.

adom4

Smash Lord
NNID
adom15510
3DS FC
3179-6434-6692
Ironically Jiggz was the 3rd worst character in Brawl and she somehow had a better Bair. Similarly I miss Brawl Zelda's lightning kicks and Usmash.
Do you guys see Jiggz as bottom 5 or more like bottom 10? It's hard to precisely order within tiers but she definitely feels underwhelming.
I think she's the worst character in the game, she really doesn't have a lot going for her.

Scarhi

Smash Cadet
NNID
Eriaaasu
This is what you disagreed with however:

It's out of context though, you cut out a central part of it and this is the full claim:

Jump, Smash and Shield are seriously tampered by this fact, and I did note that jump is good for recovering, but it's not intrinsically good for anything else because you take more damage and knockback while it's activated, and this way it can be risky offstage as well unless you get to recover very high. Smash is so dangerous because it makes Shulk die equally fast and it makes his attacks less safe so shielding pretty much defeats it despite Shulk getting a moderately strong dthrow. In addition most characters have better and safer kill options to abuse Smash art, although it may have uses for something like edgeguarding. I still disagree with you about the usefulness of shield except versus very slow characters. Most can literally just double jump over him when cornered and Shulk simply can't catch them on the way over, plus it's still not hard to just beat him in neutral in that situation. Speed you said is good versus characters with better neutral, and I did mention that speed is probably good in some matchups. Buster for everything else, it's a good art.

I still think any good placements that you may have gotten in France with Shulk can be attributed to player skill rather than the character. Finland used to have a Shulk getting top 5s as well, but we also have a Lucario winning almost every tournament, and hell, one player who doesn't play often has won 4/4 tournaments he's entered with Palutena/Falco. Meanwhile myself and like 5 others are right behind, quietly gazing upon them with our top/high tier characters.

Regardless, Shulk does have a really poor neutral game if you know how to abuse his startups and endlag / landing lag, otherwise he can keep people out quite well but that's irrelevant. His disadvantage isn't good either due to the same reason, and his advantage mostly consists of single hits and if he misses a read he can't frametrap you because his attacks take a long time to finish. His up b as a recovery doesn't autosnap very well so it can be straight up meteored or otherwise screwed over by many characters, and if he drops deep enough that the up b does autosnap, you know exactly the timing for his up b and will be able to intercept it regardless. Jump art is an essentially free recovery but it's not infallible and not always available.
Yeah, sorry for taking your claim out of context. I still disagree with it though, so let me try to elaborate. It's gonna look like I'm repeating myself but the Arts' weaknesses are minimal if used correctly because Shulk players are going to use them when it's relevant to, and when the weaknesses don't matter as much.
Jump only takes more knockback through the extra damage Shulk takes, there is in fact no knockback multiplier applied and it's a common misconception to think that there is. (so he actually only dies 4-5% earlier) And you get a lot more than a safer recovery: the improved edgeguarding does matter, you have enough aerial movement to always stay in front of your opponent when edgeguarding and to recover before they do so it's not as risky as you say, and you get bigger rewards for landing a hit (combos I already mentionned)
And as I said, if the extra damage taken is a problem, you can deactivate the Art during hitstun.
Smash is mostly used when in advantaged state (including edgeguarding, yes) when you do have more options and opportunities to kill than your opponent does, provided you don't overcommit. You just deactivate it when you're back to neutral where your opponent can kill you or shield.
Waste your double jump against a Shulk in Shield and you'll most likely eat a Dash Attack or a Bair on landing, depending on the presence of platforms or not. (for the record, Shield Shulk's Dash Attack covers as much distance as Vanilla Shulk's)
Shield is probably easier to time out on Smashville though, because of how the platform moves.

I can't add much about player skill vs. character choice justifying results except that it's pretty nice to have a game well-balanced enough to be able to say that x) (In my experience though, I don't think I've been overcoming that kind of character disadvantage through player skill to get these results so I'm really not convinced Shulk is that bad)
Besides, there are also other occurrences of Shulk players placing well, most notably in Canada (shoutouts to @Jerm and @Artryuu ). I'm not sure these multiple occurrences (including Finland, Canada, England and France) of Shulks placing well can only be attributed to "players' skill overcoming the flaws of a bad character and thus outplacing 4/5ths of their scene"

Shulk's neutral game is his main weakness indeed but let's keep in mind that he does have some safety on shield now. (+ MALLC exists, his grounded options such as Dtilt aren't slow enough to see them coming, Speed grabs are good in neutral, etc.)

His advantage isn't that bad because what matters isn't the number of hits but the actual reward in terms of percentage/stock/positionning and how much he can make out of it (I'm stating the obvious but eh ^^). Shulk has a lot of 2-hit combos (combo thread on the Shulk boards here) at low/mid% in Speed, Jump and Buster, and Buster single hits deal between 14 and 25% so his rewards aren't bad at all. He can take stocks from a Nair in Jump or Speed at various percentages (even in Buster through Nair > buffered art deactivation > Fsmash). All of his aerials and smashes can kill, Ftilt and Utilt can kill, Smash Dthrow and Bthrow can kill. And positional advantage is huge for Shulk thanks to Jump/Smash/Speed edgeguarding and to his ability to cover so many options on the ledge. Nair does frame trap into jab/Ftilt/grab and so does Utilt most of the time (it is no Falcon Uair though xD). MALLC creates landing frame traps as well (any aerial gives a guaranteed Fsmash if airdodged for example).

His disadvantage is only bad because he doesn't have a fast gtfo aerial (he does have a counter though, so it mitigates that to a certain extent). Fair+Jump+Speed stop most edgeguarding attempts and Jump/Shield can help escaping juggles (though he does struggle against juggles). Any attempt to edgeguard his upB can be reacted to by delaying/spacing more or less the upB.
UpB can only be meteored if you're above him beforehand in which case he drops deeper. If you wanna intercept him on the way up, he only needs to B-reverse upB while sliding against the stage. upB's horizontal range is long enough that he can use it and hit the opponent with it before being within the range in which it'd trade with the edgeguarder's hit.

⑨ball

Smash Ace
Jiggs B-air was just insane though.
The secret sword character lol.

Trying to demonstrate why your main is better than perceived is fine, but trying to convince others that "this character is mid-tier, you just don't get their true potential" does nothing. It's a platitude. It does not yield productive discussion. If your character is the worst, it doesn't make them objectively bad or fundamentally unserviceable, it just means they're not of the same distinction as other, higher-tier characters.
(my emphasis)

It doesn't yield productive discussion because we don't have any agreed upon concepts that makes the distinctions possible. It's the same reason why Luigi was considered top 5 and top 15 simultaneously prepatch. "this character is x-tier, you guise just don't--" happens at all levels of viability discussion, so I'm not sure why it's suddenly an issue when discussing the lower end of characters.

If we want to be accurate in our development we should probably strive for some definitions of the tiers and what makes or breaks one's placement in them rather than discouraging giving one's impressions at all.

Last edited:

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
(my emphasis)

It doesn't yield productive discussion because we don't have any agreed upon concepts that makes the distinctions possible. It's the same reason why Luigi was considered top 5 and top 15 simultaneously prepatch. "this character is x-tier, you guise just don't--" happens at all levels of viability discussion, so I'm not sure why it's suddenly an issue when discussing the lower end of characters.

If we want to be accurate in our development we should probably strive for some definitions of the tiers and what makes or breaks one's placement in them rather than discouraging giving one's impressions at all.
You're right. Apologies, I should have worded that better.

My concern isn't with people trying to maintain their character is better than often perceived, because that is basically the central thesis of the thread ("viability" being the keyword in the title), nor am I discouraging sharing impressions (again, the word "impressions" is of central importance in the title).

My concern is with people who don't focus on competitive development, but who just want to avoid the stigma of being perceived as a weak character. Too often the rallying cry of "my character isn't that bad" is used to justify why "X character can't possibly be bottom-tier, that spot is much better reserved for Y character". Basically it becomes a hair-pulling contest between weaker characters; rather than trying to justify why the character is good on their own merits, people instead want to demonstrate that their character isn't that bad because they're still better than somebody else. "Well, my character may be bad, but at least they aren't that character. Everybody point and laugh at that character!"

I don't remember who said it, but it was posted recently in this thread and I think it's a brilliant explanation of what I mean: "Discussion shouldn't become a case of "my low-tier dad can beat up your low-tier dad"." That's exactly what I mean. People don't want to engage in practical discussion on the merits of their character, they just don't want to be compared to other bottom-tier characters. Nobody wants their main to be the butt of everybody's jokes. But, for better or worse, that is the nature of the game; somebody has to be on the bottom. My thesis isn't that we shouldn't share our opinions on why the character is better than often perceived, it's that we shouldn't take low-tier or bottom-tier to be a grave insult, but rather a necessary placement of a character in the relative context of the competitive meta.

This goes for every potential tier placement, not just low or bottom. The weaker characters just happen to be more prone to this kind of reactionary vindication, since their viability is naturally called into question more often and mains of the character therefore feel more poised to respond in that way.

Disclaimer: this is not a calling-out of anybody in this thread. It is just a trend I have noticed and wanted to respond to.

TheJolteon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
x5000luigi
I have noticed one thing with Jigglypuff is that she can edgeguard characters that have no attacking recoveries pretty. It could be a saving grace but I am sure someone will prove me wrong.

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
I have noticed one thing with Jigglypuff is that she can edgeguard characters that have no attacking recoveries pretty. It could be a saving grace but I am sure someone will prove me wrong.
It's always pretty when I edgeguard somebody as Jigglypuff.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
It depends on the nature of the opponent's airs, too. For example, R.O.B.'s recovery doesn't project a hitbox, but he has lingering disjoints in n-air and b-air and a quick anti-air in u-air, so Jiggly has to contend with that if she wants to edgeguard him.

It's not a saving grace so much as it is a tasty cherry on top of an otherwise dissatisfactory sundae.

Trifroze

NNID
Trifroze
Yeah, sorry for taking your claim out of context. I still disagree with it though, so let me try to elaborate. It's gonna look like I'm repeating myself but the Arts' weaknesses are minimal if used correctly because Shulk players are going to use them when it's relevant to, and when the weaknesses don't matter as much.
Jump only takes more knockback through the extra damage Shulk takes, there is in fact no knockback multiplier applied and it's a common misconception to think that there is. (so he actually only dies 4-5% earlier) And you get a lot more than a safer recovery: the improved edgeguarding does matter, you have enough aerial movement to always stay in front of your opponent when edgeguarding and to recover before they do so it's not as risky as you say, and you get bigger rewards for landing a hit (combos I already mentionned)
And as I said, if the extra damage taken is a problem, you can deactivate the Art during hitstun.
Smash is mostly used when in advantaged state (including edgeguarding, yes) when you do have more options and opportunities to kill than your opponent does, provided you don't overcommit. You just deactivate it when you're back to neutral where your opponent can kill you or shield.
Waste your double jump against a Shulk in Shield and you'll most likely eat a Dash Attack or a Bair on landing, depending on the presence of platforms or not. (for the record, Shield Shulk's Dash Attack covers as much distance as Vanilla Shulk's)
Shield is probably easier to time out on Smashville though, because of how the platform moves.
I mostly agree with what you say, just it doesn't ultimately result me in seeing Shulk as a mid tier (or viable) character like it does for you, although I don't think he's necessarily bottom tier either. At least he has adaptability due to monado arts, and I quoted this part of your post to bring up one more point, which is that all what you said still doesn't mean monado arts are super useful, instead there are some situations where to use them and other situations where using them is too risky. They can be beneficial if used right, but I was never arguing they weren't, I just argued they're not a big enough deal to "save" the character. He may be better than what I previously thought (bottom 5), but not by much. Every character does have something going for them, some will just end up having less (although arguably Mac Zelda and Puff are just asfbahdb).

Mario766

Smash Lord
NNID
They did to Jigglypuff what they did to Ike, but without any compensation anywhere else. *I'm talking release Ike here*

Ike had a lot of his best options neutered from Brawl, but they gave him slightly better run and much better air speed.

Jigglypuff kept her 6 frame jumpsquat, which makes no sense as a character who's main design is to be in the air at all times. Her main tool, back air, got neutered but her main options from Melee which made her character strong, which were ability to combo into Rest and wall out characters with exceptionally big disjointed aerials were both removed entirely. Her main tool is to weave in and out of character hitboxes but now she has to do it even more precisely due to not having the range to attack with anymore. Recoveries also got much better in Brawl and Smash 4, which makes her job as an edgeguarder much harder to the point where it's almost impossible for her to get solid edgeguards.

She got no compensation for the nerfs she got going from Melee -> Brawl and the even harder nerfs in Smash 4 now that edgehogging was removed so she can't get those kind of edgeguards.

Jigglypuff will need to be able to edgeguard people, be able to combo into rest and have rest kill earlier on the cast to become a threat in tournaments.

Tri Knight

Smash Ace
This is exactly what i thought would happen when the game first came out. Shulk's Monado Arts are ultimately what holds him back in the competitive scene. He over complicated himself and his normal form can't even compensate for it.

His design is definitely ambitious but im not a fan. Why go through the trouble of having to switch to Jump just to recover properly when I could just use almost any other character and recover more reliably

Last edited:

Scarhi

Smash Cadet
NNID
Eriaaasu
I mostly agree with what you say, just it doesn't ultimately result me in seeing Shulk as a mid tier (or viable) character like it does for you, although I don't think he's necessarily bottom tier either.
Alright :) Thanks for taking the time to read through my posts, I understand that we're just drawing different conclusions from the same information ^_^ I think the Arts can save the character, you think they're not enough, that's fair x).

which is that all what you said still doesn't mean monado arts are super useful, instead there are some situations where to use them and other situations where using them is too risky.
Just nitpicking but I didn't mean that that you shouldn't use Arts in some situations but rather that for any given situation, there will always be at least one Art that will give you an advantage and little to no weaknesses. (in short: a better Art to be in than Vanilla Shulk ^^) Not using Arts is nearly never a good idea.

Last edited:

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
I have recently defined Viability as amount of effort necessary to get results.

a few examples:
I can unironically call Zelda the worst character in Smash 4 simply because not only is she one of the most difficult characters in smash due to the pin point precision necessary to make her work and even then her power once mastered is not the same effectiveness as say Sheik or ZSS. A case of too much effort for too little result

Pre nerf Luigi was considered "viable" despite rarely getting into national top whatever because he required relatively less effort to still be a tournament threat

Sheik requires a lot of effort to master her stuff but she is (or at least was) blatantly the best character in smash 4 so it was well worth the effort

so on and so on

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I have recently defined Viability as amount of effort necessary to get results.

a few examples:
I can unironically call Zelda the worst character in Smash 4 simply because not only is she one of the most difficult characters in smash due to the pin point precision necessary to make her work and even then her power once mastered is not the same effectiveness as say Sheik or ZSS. A case of too much effort for too little result

Pre nerf Luigi was considered "viable" despite rarely getting into national top whatever because he required relatively less effort to still be a tournament threat

Sheik requires a lot of effort to master her stuff but she is (or at least was) blatantly the best character in smash 4 so it was well worth the effort

so on and so on
This describes low-tier characters very well. If you have to put exponentially more effort in than your opponent to get the same kind of results (or still get weaker results), your character probably isn't sustainable in the meta.

The super-heavies are a good example. The kind of effort it takes to match up to a speedier, safer character just so you don't get beaten by their speed and safety - that's a big crutch when the latter kind of character dominates.

Last edited:

TurboLink

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4725-8278-5467
People need to stop treating bottom-tier as some kind of inescapable prison of absolute non-viability or a terrible curse that brings only shame and ignominy. It's inevitable, somebody has to be down there, even if it's just because they're not as objectively good as everybody else. If that character happens to be your main, then that's just the fall of the dice.
That's mighty easy to say when you don't main a character who has consistently been low-tier or can barely even make it to mid-tier each game. Try saying that after your favorite character ends up low-tier three games straight. People like you might be content with your character(s) being crap-tier every game without ever being above-average or anything special, but I'm not. And I'm sure there are others who would agree with me. However few they may be.

Last edited:

Mario766

Smash Lord
NNID
That's what happens when you have a character who is doomed by the way Smash plays.

Let's take the LoZ characters.

Ganon is a powerhouse, but is very heavy and slow. VERY slow. This means his neutral isn't going to be strong. His attacks are slow and he has very little mobility. His heavy weight and fast falling speed because of this makes him very easy to combo and juggle. His landing options are limited so he has to hope he can get back to the ground against a character that is fast and can juggle well.

Zelda's a character who is designed to play at range with projectiles. Let's talk about projectile users in Smash 4. Give me the name of a zoning character who primarily uses projectiles to rack up damage. Now name me ones who do really well in Smash.

Falco *sans Smash 4*
Villager

Why do these work so well?

Their projectiles either auto cancel on short hop, or have so little landing lag they get frame advantage when they use them.

This is why characters with a good projectile can do a hit and run strat as well, because their projectiles + mobility make them safe to use.

Sheik *Smash 4*
Fox *Melee*

Zelda...does neither. Her moves are very laggy and unsafe at certain ranges, she also can't play up close very well.

Guess who ALSO goes here?

Link. He's a low mobility zoning character who relies on his projectiles to succeed. The problem? He has slow normals, and his projectiles take a lot of time to come out. He can't make a wall with them because his projectiles have to either come back to him or take forever to come out. The only Zelda character who does really well outside of very certain Ganon users is Toon Link. Toon Link has Link's frame data on his attacks, higher landing lag on aerials...why is he better?

One word

Mobility. Mobility matters in Smash because you aren't confined to a very small box like Street Fighter. The only time mobility DOESN'T matter is when you can effectively wall out basically the entire cast using your projectiles. Who is the only character in fighting games who can realistically do this on a consistent basis?

Morrigan.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
That's mighty easy to say when you don't main a character who has consistently been low-tier or can barely even make it to mid-tier each game. Try saying that after your favorite character ends up low-tier three games straight. People like you might be content with your character(s) being crap-tier every game without ever being above-average or anything special, but I'm not. And I'm sure there are others who would agree with me. However few they may be.
I don't think it helps discuss the character's viability when emotion becomes invested into the conversation. Irrespective of whether people think it's "fair" that their character is good, bad or indifferent, discussion should be based on the character's objective efficacy, rather than subjective reaction.

Don't take it as a personal affront if your character is bad or perceived to be bad. It has nothing to do with discussion of viability.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I find it hard to complain about the 1v1 balance when it's ultimately taking a backseat to FFAs... We're lucky to have the game be as balanced as it is. I'm just happy Sheik isn't the new MK.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
This describes low-tier characters very well. If you have to put exponentially more effort in than your opponent to get the same kind of results (or still get weaker results), your character probably isn't sustainable in the meta.

The super-heavies are a good example. The kind of effort it takes to match up to a speedier, safer character just so you don't get beaten by their speed and safety - that's a big crutch when the latter kind of character dominates.
Heavies are actually much simpler characters to play than the top tiers in terms of optimisation. Their strength is more in their stats (their range and their reward on hit) as opposed to having a multitude of options at any given time. The former is easier to optimise because you have less choices to make.

Most of the heavies only have 4-5 viable options in neutral that they have to chose between, and it's just a matter of choosing the right one. You also require less reads to win and have a larger margin for error against most of the cast if you know how to DI properly.

Top tiers only become more effective at a higher level of play, or if you've invested in them significantly more than the heavy. A one-month Bowser or DK is probably going to be threatening than a one-month Pikachu or Diddy.

Last edited:

TurboLink

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4725-8278-5467
User was warned for this post
I find it hard to complain about the 1v1 balance when it's ultimately taking a backseat to FFAs... We're lucky to have the game be as balanced as it is. I'm just happy Sheik isn't the new MK.
Then I'm sure you wouldn't mind your main being the worst character in the game if it ever came down to that.

Green L

Smash Apprentice
Not really. At all. In Melee she has super high air speed and all the characters don't compare to it. Her rest kills below 15% and you can combo it out of an u-tilt, u-air, or even u-throw on fastfallers. In Melee she had good setups into a tech situation, where her jab causes a jab reset so she can get a free kill.

Also, in Melee recoveries are a lot worse, meaning Puff gets higher reward off of going offstage. Her wall of pain is better in Melee too. In Melee, Puff has the proper tools to play defensive in an aggressive game, when Puff being defensive in smash 4 doesn't mean anything.

So in Melee, she has rest confirms at low percents, airspeed which can't be compared to other characters, gets a higher reward off of being defensive, and a higher reward off of edge-guarding. She has none of that in this game.
You're right about jigglypuff not having any rest setups but you're wrong about everything else. Jigglypuff still has one of the highest airspeed in the game, Jigglypuff can still easily gimp the majority of the cast. I mentioned this many pages ago but unlike melee, you can't just knock people off the edge and just grab the ledge before them. You need to put in more effort to edgeguard than in melee. Jigglypuff has multiple jumps so she can afford to do offstage play and get back to the ledge just fine. An easybake combo into rest would be unbalanced so I'm glad that's not in sm4sh.
I think the idea behind changing bair was to make it a quick, strong attack that doesn't overshadow the other aerials, because that's pretty much what happened in Melee.
I agree. Back air over centralized Jiggs in melee. Anyone could pick of jigglypuff, spam back air, and be a tourney threat. In sm4sh, the Jiggs meta is still "bair the character" but you have to use other aerials to succeed.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Heavies are actually much simpler characters to play than the top tiers in terms of optimisation. Their strength is more in their stats (their range and their reward on hit) as opposed to having a multitude of options at any given time. The former is easier to optimise because you have less choices to make.

Most of the heavies only have 4-5 viable options in neutral that they have to chose between, and it's just a matter of choosing the right one. You also require less reads to win and have a larger margin for error against most of the cast if you know how to DI properly.

Top tiers only become more effective at a higher level of play, or if you've invested in them significantly more than the heavy. A one-month Bowser of DK is probably going to be threatening than a one-month Pikachu or Diddy.
Yes, but we're discussing higher levels of play, which is where optimal Pikachus and Diddies reside. An optimal character with more options is naturally going to be better than an optimal character with fewer options.

I don't disagree that heavies are simpler to play, but that's not what I'm talking about. I'm talking about how much more effort it is for, say, a high-level Ganondorf to keep up with and beat a high-level Sheik of equal skill. The Sheik has more options, and safer ones too, than the Ganondorf. You may require less reads because you have a higher reward, but at the highest level of play, it becomes increasingly difficult to get those reads because your opponents doesn't make as many mistakes or put themselves in as vulnerable a position.

Trifroze Trifroze said it very well when describing Ganondorf's viability. He can say it better than I can.

Then I'm sure you wouldn't mind your main being the worst character in the game if it ever came down to that.
Please stop. You're derailing the thread with unnecessary emotive reactions.

I will report your posts if this persists.

Last edited:

Green L

Smash Apprentice
Jigglypuff kept her 6 frame jumpsquat, which makes no sense as a character who's main design is to be in the air at all times. Her main tool, back air, got neutered but her main options from Melee which made her character strong, which were ability to combo into Rest and wall out characters with exceptionally big disjointed aerials were both removed entirely. Her main tool is to weave in and out of character hitboxes but now she has to do it even more precisely due to not having the range to attack with anymore. Recoveries also got much better in Brawl and Smash 4, which makes her job as an edgeguarder much harder to the point where it's almost impossible for her to get solid edgeguards.
You are exaggerating. The jigglypuff meta is still back air spam. If you can play jigglypuff in melee, you can play her in smash 4. It's not impossible for jigglypuff to edgeguard anyone not named little mac

Mario766

Smash Lord
NNID
You are exaggerating. The jigglypuff meta is still back air spam. If you can play jigglypuff in melee, you can play her in smash 4. It's not impossible for jigglypuff to edgeguard anyone not named little mac
It's a LOT harder. Jigglypuff in Melee gets very easy combos into rest, which kill at absurd percents like 20. Recoveries are VERY weaker in Melee. Jigglypuff goes deep and hits them once with a back air? Stock gone.

In Smash 4? You hit them with a back air? They take 13 percent and recover just fine unless they are someone like Doc, or Little Mac. Most characters, esp those that are prevalent in the competitive scene boast exceptional recoveries. This makes her job much, much harder. Her main way to take stocks early, Rest, also got neutered heavily in that she has zero set-ups into it, and it doesn't kill till later.

Last edited:

Green L

Smash Apprentice
In Smash 4? You hit them with a back air? They take 13 percent and recovery just fine unless they are someone like Doc, or Little Mac. Most characters, esp those that are prevalent in the competitive scene boast exceptional recoveries. This makes her job much, much harder. Her main way to take stocks early, Rest, also got neutered heavily in that she has zero set-ups into it, and it doesn't kill till later.
EFFORT is the keyword here. You put in low effort you get a low reward. In this case, a low effort back air only gets you 13%. There's a simple solution: Put in more EFFORT to edgeguarding. If an opponent doesn't die from one back air then use multiple back airs then. Only a few recoveries are very good like any teleport recovery like mewtwo or Zelda. Most characters' recovery in this game are either short or super predictable. Mario, falcon, ganon, ness, lucas etc. Jigglypuff can easily gimp these characters.

Last edited:

Mario766

Smash Lord
NNID
EFFORT is the keyword here. You put in low effort you get a low reward. In this case, a low effort back air only gets you 13%. There's a simple solution: Put in more EFFORT to edgeguarding. If an opponent doesn't die from one back air then use multiple back airs then. Only a few recoveries are very good like any teleport recovery like mewtwo or Zelda. Most characters' recovery in this game are either short or super predictable. Mario, falcon, ganon, ness, lucas etc. Jigglypuff can easily gimp these characters.
The effort makes the character less appealing to play.

WHY PLAY JIGGLYPUFF

WHEN YOU CAN PLAY X WHO DOES THINGS BETTER WITH LESS EFFORT???????

DblCrest

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DblCrest
3DS FC
0018-2708-3882
Maybe they like Jigglypuff because it's Jigglypuff and that's why they play them.

Last edited:

Trifroze

NNID
Trifroze
Mentioned this elsewhere but G&W has a lot more safety now, yet I haven't heard much mention of him since the patch. All his smashes are now a 100% safe on shield, fsmash and dsmash are realistically not reactable at 17 and 15 frames and even usmash, which is a bit too slow at 24, can be extra charged to mess up your opponent's timing if they try to powershield, although it's probably the least applicable of his smashes now due to its lack of range. I always say smashes are unreliable kill options but rarely do you see smashes this strong and safe without having like 20-25 frames of startup, and even those are super rare.

Seriously, his dsmash kills Mario at 100% from the center of FD, is medium fast and can't be punished. The sweetspot is also very large and will hit unless your opponent is right next to you, and both sides hit equally hard. Fair must be safe now as well, probably rising fair as well because of G&W's aerial mobility.

Glass cannon is (semi) real again ?

Horseketchup

Smash Cadet
You're right about jigglypuff not having any rest setups but you're wrong about everything else. Jigglypuff still has one of the highest airspeed in the game, Jigglypuff can still easily gimp the majority of the cast. I mentioned this many pages ago but unlike melee, you can't just knock people off the edge and just grab the ledge before them. You need to put in more effort to edgeguard than in melee. Jigglypuff has multiple jumps so she can afford to do offstage play and get back to the ledge just fine. An easybake combo into rest would be unbalanced so I'm glad that's not in sm4sh.

I agree. Back air over centralized Jiggs in melee. Anyone could pick of jigglypuff, spam back air, and be a tourney threat. In sm4sh, the Jiggs meta is still "bair the character" but you have to use other aerials to succeed.
He's right about air speed though, not to say it's not still amazing but its no longer in the same league of its own. In Melee her air speed was 1.35 but it was nerfed to 1.269 in Brawl/Smash 4.

For context, in Melee the next highest air speed was .15 lower than her, aka 11.1% slower than her (which is the equivalent of the difference between Ganon and Ness's air speed).

But in Smash 4 the next highest air speed is .059 lower than her, which is only 4.6% slower. For context, the difference between Melee Jiggs/Yoshi is the equivalent of the difference between Jiggs and Ryu/G&W in Smash 4....characters ranked 12/13th in air speed. And now Yoshi has a higher air speed than her too.

It's probably not a huge deal cause her air speed is still really good, but it's just one more thing that contributes to her inferiority compared to the rest of the cast. If they're not gonna center her around a few extremely good tools, then in toning down her ridiculous strengths they should've improved her weak points to make her a more all-around character. But they didn't buff her in other areas to make up for the powerful tools she lost, so instead of being centered around a few strong options she has to make due with a larger amount of bad to mediocre options.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Maybe they like Jigglypuff because it's Jigglypuff and that's why they play them.
That goes without saying, but this is a competitive thread, and the basic premise here is that Jigglypuff is outshined by other characters even in the areas where she excels. She doesn't have good options, and even her best moves don't work as well as they used to. Therefore, she isn't viable.

Mazdamaxsti

Smash Lord
NNID
Mazdamaxsti

Jigglypuff does not even have the HIGHEST airspeed anymore. In Melee, she had the highest by far, making no characters able to match her airspeed. In Melee, due to weaker recoveries, you will 100% get more edge-guards, due to the nature of the mechanics and recoveries there. Jigglypuff also doesn't have the best edge-guarding in the game in Smash 4. She has almost none of the things that she had in Melee that made her good, and if she still has them, they are useless with the new mechanics.

DblCrest

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DblCrest
3DS FC
0018-2708-3882
That goes without saying, but this is a competitive thread, and the basic premise here is that Jigglypuff is outshined by other characters even in the areas where she excels. She doesn't have good options, and even her best moves don't work as well as they used to. Therefore, she isn't viable.
Now I can only picture you speaking like Dark Pit.

Still...
Despite that people still play said characters whether others think of them of unviable or not. Maybe they want to develop them or be the best with that character. Why doesn't everyone just use Sheik if she's regarded as the best character in a competitive level? (as of now)

There's the patches as well but I'm guessing some people like putting in the extra work at times.

Last edited:

Megamang

Smash Lord
While we're talking about mechanical changes which harm puff, im surprised no one has mentioned this but... if you airdodged in the air in melee, you died, so she could make you trade easier. And again, her lightness became a crippling weakness as the cast got better at surviving.

Itd be cool if her double jab sent you either back like pound or straight up.

Maybe give her a m2 level uthrow? Idk, but i wouldnt be afraid to start throwing buffs at her, her frailty hurts her in all modes. (Give her shield art).

The best would be a really nice air to ground move,maybe make a downward pound lagless? I wish nintendo did patch servers to try out stuff with the community.

Also, does anyone else feel the shieldstun patch helped balance tremendously?

Edit: the why no shiek argument. Id say there is the factor of everyone knowing their shiek MU, as well as other characters being faster through bracket (shiek will have some rage induced nail biters that ryu wont, for example). Or people believing their character is actually better.... or a playstyle preference

Last edited:

Tri Knight

Smash Ace
That's what happens when you have a character who is doomed by the way Smash plays.

Let's take the LoZ characters.

Ganon is a powerhouse, but is very heavy and slow. VERY slow. This means his neutral isn't going to be strong. His attacks are slow and he has very little mobility. His heavy weight and fast falling speed because of this makes him very easy to combo and juggle. His landing options are limited so he has to hope he can get back to the ground against a character that is fast and can juggle well.

Zelda's a character who is designed to play at range with projectiles. Let's talk about projectile users in Smash 4. Give me the name of a zoning character who primarily uses projectiles to rack up damage. Now name me ones who do really well in Smash.

Falco *sans Smash 4*
Villager

Why do these work so well?

Their projectiles either auto cancel on short hop, or have so little landing lag they get frame advantage when they use them.

This is why characters with a good projectile can do a hit and run strat as well, because their projectiles + mobility make them safe to use.

Sheik *Smash 4*
Fox *Melee*

Zelda...does neither. Her moves are very laggy and unsafe at certain ranges, she also can't play up close very well.

Guess who ALSO goes here?

Link. He's a low mobility zoning character who relies on his projectiles to succeed. The problem? He has slow normals, and his projectiles take a lot of time to come out. He can't make a wall with them because his projectiles have to either come back to him or take forever to come out. The only Zelda character who does really well outside of very certain Ganon users is Toon Link. Toon Link has Link's frame data on his attacks, higher landing lag on aerials...why is he better?

One word

Mobility. Mobility matters in Smash because you aren't confined to a very small box like Street Fighter. The only time mobility DOESN'T matter is when you can effectively wall out basically the entire cast using your projectiles. Who is the only character in fighting games who can realistically do this on a consistent basis?

Morrigan.
Technically Toon Link's aerials don't suffer the way Link's does though due to cancels. TL can SH F-air and still DJ before he has to even deal with that. Couple that with the new shield stun and all of his aerials are relatively safe. You can SH N-air poke a shield and get out pretty easily. His floatiness helps him that regard.

TL can actually be pretty potent in CQC. Not that he should be spending a lot of time there but hes got the necessary abilities to weave in and out when its appropriate cuz like you said, mobility helps with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom