• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official Viability Ratings v2 | Competitive Impressions

Status
Not open for further replies.

NachoOfCheese

Smash Ace
NNID
NachoOfCheese
Shields aren't that huge a problem so long as heavies have ways of punishing shielding in any form. It doesn't need to be braking shields.
DK is a good character, for quite a few reasons but I'll highlight the relevant one, because not only is he able to force you into shield, but he gets a ton of reward and can kill you off of you shielding when you shouldn't. (Grabs are always a good option for DK.)
Charizard, to some extent, is similar. At low and high percents Charizard has good punishes for shielding. Combo throws and kill throws.

One of the things holding DDD and Bowser (I don't know much about Ganon) back is that their shield punishes are inconsistent.
Bowser gets very little off of punishing shields at low percents. He can grab or command grab you, but until those things can kill you there's not much reason to fear them.
DDD gets reward off of grabs at low percents, and has a (albeit bad) command grab. But once you're at high percents, DDD gets nothing off of punishing shielding. No setups, no kills, there's little reason to be afraid of DDD when you're at high percent and sitting in shield.

Point being there's other, simpler ways to dissuade shielding against heavies than just making shield breaks easier.

Give Bowser combos/more 50-50s.
Give DDD KO setups off of grab. At any percent like below 150.
Just make punishing shield semi-consistently rewarding. You don't need to be able to break shields to do that.
They'd still have flaws but if they had consistent, reliable options, they could actually be decent characters.
I agree. You know what would be nice on Dedede? A kill throw. Nothing crazy, but something along the lines of Mario's bthrow or at least Marth's uthrow. At least with that you can have something to fear of the giant penguin at high percents.

Sir Tundra

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Righteous
3DS FC
2938-7133-5824
It was that or Ganondidn't get in period. Its because of a tech demo of a Zelda game, where Ganondorf physically had pretty much the same build as Falcon. Might not have been using a sword in that tech demo either, I can't remember.

Really, its not that strange for Ganondorf to be fighting like that overall. He does use a lot of dark magic and can be pretty brutal in his fighting style.
It makes sense why ganondorf was basically a captain falcon clone in melee considering the hellish development cycle.

However I just don't understand why he mostly kept the same captain falcon clone moveset in brawl and smash 4.

Especially in smash 4 considering that Bowser and pit got a do over from brawl.

Last time I checked sakurai's goal was to make sure every character have movesets based on there respective games.

I mean Mario while having a shoto like moveset retains alot of moves that he used in alot of his games

Luigi's traction is reminiscent of how he controlled in Super mario bros 2 the lost levels while his moves/animations reflect his cowardish personality.

Some of peach's moves are largely inspired by her incarnation in super mario bros 2 U.S.A like her float and turnips( now the peach bomber I have no idea where that came from).

And diddy is virtually cut straight out of Donkey kong country. Animations and all

The point is almost every character in smash are reminiscent of how they are from there respective games. With a few exceptions.

Ganondorf who is one of the most iconic villains in video game history is a semi falcon clone.

I mean I guess it fits his brutal fighting style but it just doesn't do him justice considering he's the big baddie of the legend of zelda.

While there wasn't much sakurai could do in melee

Sakurai clearly could've done much more to ganondorf in the later games especially smash 4.

I mean I don't hate ganondorf per say infact I'm pretty accepting of Captain ganondorf, but still he could've done so much more.

I'm pretty sure since ganondorf is sakurais favorite character I don't think ganondorf we'll ever get changed any time soon.

edit: also are you referring to this tech demo:

because ganon uses a sword in this one

And that model is virtually identical to the one from melee's

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
On the topic of Mewtwo, I'm inclined to agree. He's a "fixed issue heavy" but he's actually ridiculously light which unfortunately is not the best trade off either. I think this was discussed right as he came out, he was called "Ganondorf with less weight but a better neutral." We had no idea how light he ACTUALLY was, though.
You know, most people tend to rip into the fact that Mewtwo can't KO at ludicrously low percents, saying that he doesn't hit hard enough to justify his weight, but when you consider the versatility present in Mewtwo's kit both in raising percent and landing kills not possessing a move that can potentially kill at 50% isn't a big loss. And barring aura, Shadow Ball is literally the strongest standard projectile in the game, tied with Samus's Charge Shot in damage but with higher knockback. Plus few characters can claim to do more than 10% damage with every aerial. His uthrow is functionally the strongest vertical KOing throw in the game. Dsmash lets him fish for KOs when he needs to while stopping approaches. Usmash and fair can capitalize on the smallest of openings. Lack of KO power is really not an issue.

The real issue is most likely tied in Mewtwo's disadvantage; while still considerably better than most fatties (even if he can't really brute force his way out) with his airspeed, dat airdodge, and his movement options that let him escape slow characters pretty easily, none of them really work as a "get out of disadvantage free" card like Flip Jump or Bouncing Fish. He has to use them carefully and keep the opponent guessing to really land against faster characters, and his large size does make him more susceptible to true combos than most with his fall speed and weight.

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
The likely reason Ganondorf hasn't changed all that much since Melee is that it probably saves a lot of time during development. Sakurai probably thinks that Ganondorf is a complete character already, and put some changes into him in Brawl already (different animations, tweaks to attack properties), and decided the time is better spent developing new characters.

Like, consider the fact that Upperdash Arm and Guardian Orbitars function similarly to Pit's Hayayayayaya and Mirror Shield in Brawl.

Blobface

Smash Lord
NNID
everyone1 (Bob)
3DS FC
3454-0482-6740
heavy stuff
Actually Ganon suffers from basically the same problem. Ganon doesn't really have too much difficulty landing grab/Flame Choke (mostly the former). But against some characters, nothing happens afterward. One of those is Sheik. This is compounded by his throws not really doing much against some characters past D-throw combo %'s. F-throw and B-throw are great for setting up edgeguarding (and do lotsa damage), but if the other character has really really good recovery options (SHEIK) then there's no reason to fear normal grabs from Ganon.

I'd still say Ganon overall has the best time with grab reward compared to D3 and Bowser since his issues are character-specific rather than general, but he still has them.

Side note would it be a bad idea to make Bowser's D-throw do like, 17%+ damage (knockback adjusted accordingly)? It's not really used for anything AFAIK and it would make low % grabs by Bowser a lot more threatening. Who needs grab combos when you can just fall on people?

Before we get too downy frowny about heavies, don't forget that for all their flaws, they can still dunk on you once they get in. They're not good characters, maybe not even viable, but they're not the irredeemable mess heavies were in previous smash games.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
I agree. You know what would be nice on Dedede? A kill throw. Nothing crazy, but something along the lines of Mario's bthrow or at least Marth's uthrow. At least with that you can have something to fear of the giant penguin at high percents.
A kill throw with U-throw from Triple D would be hilarious. Volleyball! Upsy-daisy! High-five! Anyway, doesn't or shouldn't Triple D's B-throw and F-throw kill? He hits you with a hammer... A giant hammer... A giant hammer with a jet engine inside of it... He hits you with a giant hammer with a jet engine... Realistically, that would not just kill you, but send you, well, maybe just a part of you, flying like baseball.

BlitzAceX

Smash Rookie
Unlike all of the other campers, Villager is juggled way too easily. The vast majority of his attacks are all horizontal, and his strongest moves (Timber and bowling ball) are only usable on the ground.

As a Zelda main, I can safely say that her specials are easily her best moves. She can camp with Din's Fire and Phantom Slash. The former has great range, speed, and power, and can be steered into your opponent. The latter, when fully charged, can kill opponents trying to recover. Naryu's Love is useful for reading; it can catch rolls, negate grabs, and get her out of combos by decreasing her fall speed. I don't really use Farore's Wind except to recover, but it automatically homes into opponents, making it difficult to avoid. If you land both hits vertically, it can kill a heavyweight at around 60%, no joke.

Many of Zelda's attacks are also quite strong, like the dash attack and up aerial. Her smash attacks are super safe on shield. Lightning Kick is a game finisher, is great in trades, and isn't that difficult to land. You can pull it out at a random time, the opponent won't know what hit them. The jab is good really good against approach. Finally, neutral aerial can stop opponent's attempts to juggle, and rack up a bit of damage.

One combo I like to do is, if my opponent is on the ground, down aerial to up smash. That's a reliable kill method.

Her flaws? Her weight is the only one I can think of.
I love Zelda too but if weight is the only flaw you can think of I think you need to play better players. What if you are playing a zoning character? Dins Fire is selectively safe and if you are in an exchange, you most likely will get hit and then it will just fly off and it becomes irrelevant 99% of the time unless they roll or run back into it for NO reason. Her up B is a wonderful kill and recovery option...IF it hits. Out of shield that thing is the most punishable laggy crap. I understand the up b trust me. She cant move out of special and really her only truly viable special is her Nayru's love. The Down B requires so much space between you and the other because if they are to close they can jump over you and strike. If they are not off the stage pretty much its never viable. It also is very punishable if you miss or they roll behind you and him. She has problems dude. the range on her lightning kick is laughable when you talk about forward airs like sheiks or side b's like zss or even bowsers fair. Her spike is easy on sweet spot but requires generally 50% and up to spike efficiently. She is pretty good don't get me wrong. But DEFINITELY has some flaws.

Antonykun

Hero of Many Faces
3DS FC
1049-0472-0051
Unlike all of the other campers, Villager is juggled way too easily. The vast majority of his attacks are all horizontal, and his strongest moves (Timber and bowling ball) are only usable on the ground.
How did I miss this?
1.)like Villager gets juggled the least compaed to all campers not name Luma. floaty + owner of the god move (n-air) baby
2.)having mostly horizontal moves isn't a weakness (ZSS has them to IIRC, its late here so i can be wrong) unless you pair them with Villager's low Fullhop
3.) yes because villager is totally going to kill with such telegraphed moves consistently in the air anyways
villager gets her kills from powerful edgeguarding and forcing the opponent into checkmate scenarios with very limiting projectiles

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
The likely reason Ganondorf hasn't changed all that much since Melee is that it probably saves a lot of time during development. Sakurai probably thinks that Ganondorf is a complete character already, and put some changes into him in Brawl already (different animations, tweaks to attack properties), and decided the time is better spent developing new characters.

Like, consider the fact that Upperdash Arm and Guardian Orbitars function similarly to Pit's Hayayayayaya and Mirror Shield in Brawl.
Guardian Orbitars being similar to the Mirror Shield I'll take, but Upperdash isn't a thing like the Hiyiyiya. Upperdash doesn't even reflect most projectiles...

Guy underwent the most changes of any character between games, honestly. Like two thirds of his moveset was revamped. Heck, his core playstyle isn't remotely similar. He went from a campy little... Thing with daggers to a slightly defensive all-arounder with range almost exactly like Marth's.

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
Guardian Orbitars being similar to the Mirror Shield I'll take, but Upperdash isn't a thing like the Hiyiyiya. Upperdash doesn't even reflect most projectiles...

Guy underwent the most changes of any character between games, honestly. Like two thirds of his moveset was revamped. Heck, his core playstyle isn't remotely similar. He went from a campy little... Thing with daggers to a slightly defensive all-arounder with range almost exactly like Marth's.
I mostly meant that he's purposely designed to have two different anti-projectile moves.

I attribute the major changes in Pit to realizing that Wings of Pegasus is a ridiculous recovery move (literally a fully controllable, almost perfect recovery), and in general realizing that gliding is a terrible idea.

It's sort of like how in Mega Man they realized that Rush Jet in Mega Man 3 made most of the game pointless, so from then on it never was just "fly wherever you want."

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I mostly meant that he's purposely designed to have two different anti-projectile moves.

I attribute the major changes in Pit to realizing that Wings of Pegasus is a ridiculous recovery move (literally a fully controllable, almost perfect recovery), and in general realizing that gliding is a terrible idea.

It's sort of like how in Mega Man they realized that Rush Jet in Mega Man 3 made most of the game pointless, so from then on it never was just "fly wherever you want."
...Uh, probably the best way to deal with Upperdash is to throw out a quick projectile it doesn't reflect at it.

Some projectiles are knocked up and away, others get reflected back the opposite direction. Mario's fireballs are reflected, and then Doc's pills or Luigi's fire are deflected IIRC. Doesn't even change owners when deflected, and there's almost no rime or reason to it. Pretty sure there's at least one custom version of a projectile that reacts differently from the original...

And then the Links' bombs and Pikmin are flung but Pit doesn't punch them, for some reason. Throwing bombs at a Pit who's winding up a punch is a bad idea, hehehe.

L9999

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3780-9480-2428

I seriously can´t comprehend why Sakurai changed Pit's entire special set when it was fine as it was. Yes, his ENTIRE set, his arrows were extremely good in Brawl but in Smash 4 they are average at best. His HIYAYAYA was amazing and it did a lot of things without breaking a sweat, and it's replaced by a ****ty version of Falcon's Raptor Boost. His Up B was amazing except for the reason why Bowser Jr's Up B sucks, and they replaced it with a linear, abusable crappy version of Rosalina's Up B. His Shield was cool and had some uses, and they replace it with a crappy shield that is extremely laggy, situational, and that can be broken. Really, mention a single thing were guarding orbitars are useful BESIDES gimping Ness.

Last edited:

ARGHETH

Smash Lord
His HIYAYAYA was amazing and it did a lot of things without breaking a sweat, and it's replaced by a ****ty version of Falcon's Raptor Boost. His Up B was amazing except for the reason why Bowser Jr's Up B sucks, and they replaced it with a linear, abusable crappy version of Rosalina's Up B. His Shield was cool and had some uses, and they replace it with a crappy shield that is extremely laggy, situational, and that can be broken.
Probably because of Uprising, since the Three Sacred Treasures (aka Down B, Neutral B, and Up B) broke in that game. Also, this way Sakurai can have Pit show off Uprising weapons.

RonNewcomb

Smash Journeyman
I seriously can´t comprehend why Sakurai changed Pit's entire special set when it was fine as it was. Yes, his ENTIRE set, his arrows were extremely good in Brawl but in Smash 4 they are average at best. His HIYAYAYA was amazing and it did a lot of things without breaking a sweat, and it's replaced by a ****ty version of Falcon's Raptor Boost. His Up B was amazing except for the reason why Bowser Jr's Up B sucks, and they replaced it with a linear, abusable crappy version of Rosalina's Up B. His Shield was cool and had some uses, and they replace it with a crappy shield that is extremely laggy, situational, and that can be broken. Really, mention a single thing were guarding orbitars are useful BESIDES gimping Ness.
And this is why I no longer main Pit.

I'm in another character crisis, and just like I tried out Brawl Pit and started winning, I'm trying out ZSS and am now winning more with her Day 1 than I did with my chosen main Link.

Sad.

Y2Kay

BLACK MAMBA FOREVER
NNID
Why2Kay
What do you mean It doesn't make since? He had brand new game and brand new weapons, it makes a lot since why Sakurai changed them. Pit's arrows are fine in smash 4, and I don't remember them being that much different in brawl (I could be wrong tho). Hiyayaya was nice but it sounded super annoying, and Upperdash arm is a nice kill move for those reads and hard reads. Nothing better than super armoring thru flare blade. Brawl Pit's Up B needed to be nerfed and you know it. It least now it has a predictability factor to it. The way you describe Pit's new specials make him sound like a bottom mid tier lol.

Last edited:

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Shields aren't that huge a problem so long as heavies have ways of punishing shielding in any form. It doesn't need to be braking shields.
DK is a good character, for quite a few reasons but I'll highlight the relevant one, because not only is he able to force you into shield, but he gets a ton of reward and can kill you off of you shielding when you shouldn't. (Grabs are always a good option for DK.)
Charizard, to some extent, is similar. At low and high percents Charizard has good punishes for shielding. Combo throws and kill throws.

One of the things holding DDD and Bowser (I don't know much about Ganon) back is that their shield punishes are inconsistent.
Bowser gets very little off of punishing shields at low percents. He can grab or command grab you, but until those things can kill you there's not much reason to fear them.
DDD gets reward off of grabs at low percents, and has a (albeit bad) command grab. But once you're at high percents, DDD gets nothing off of punishing shielding. No setups, no kills, there's little reason to be afraid of DDD when you're at high percent and sitting in shield.

Point being there's other, simpler ways to dissuade shielding against heavies than just making shield breaks easier.

Give Bowser combos/more 50-50s.
Give DDD KO setups off of grab. At any percent like below 150.
Just make punishing shield semi-consistently rewarding. You don't need to be able to break shields to do that.
They'd still have flaws but if they had consistent, reliable options, they could actually be decent characters.
Bowser gets reward off grabs in the sense that 4 or so grabs will put them in kill range assuming he did nothing else to them. His grab ranges are ridiculous so getting those grabs is not hard, especially if people follow your logic and shield a lot because his reward is apparently so low.

Once you're at about 80-90 he can uthrow you seeing as he can punish landings with kill moves, or just kill you in the air with uair or bair. Don't forget sideb starts killing at some point after 100. Could be around 120 for most characters but I can't remember, depends on whether you land on a platform too. But you normally kill them way earlier than 120 anyway.

shrooby

Let me know when I'm supposed to laugh, okay?
BRoomer
NNID
shrooby
3DS FC
2320-6364-8294
Bowser gets reward off grabs in the sense that 4 or so grabs will put them in kill range assuming he did nothing else to them. His grab ranges are ridiculous so getting those grabs is not hard, especially if people follow your logic and shield a lot because his reward is apparently so low.

Once you're at about 80-90 he can uthrow you seeing as he can punish landings with kill moves, or just kill you in the air with uair or bair. Don't forget sideb starts killing at some point after 100. Could be around 120 for most characters but I can't remember, depends on whether you land on a platform too. But you normally kill them way earlier than 120 anyway.
Most characters side-B kills around 120-140 stage dependent. Can KO pretty reliably at 120-130 when you land on platforms yeah.
It's not like I think Bowser's like bottom 10 or anything like that.
But he could be much better if he got more reward off of grabs at low percents.
Frankly, getting grabbed by Bowser at low percents isn't threatening. Getting grabbed by DK, Charizard or DDD is though 'cause they have more damage output off grabs.

Being put in "kill range" doesn't matter that much when you have no semi-consistent setups which lead into moves that would kill in that range.
It's scary, but Bowser has to get a read or you have to mess up. He can't lead into kills unless you don't know how he can lead into grounded Bowser Bombs from jab and what not.
The faster Bowser is able to get people to reliable KO percents (where they'll die from side-Bs, bthrows, fairs, or other good tools), the better. If Bowser could put you in kill range faster, which would mean you're in kill range for more time and thus more likely to die before Bowser does, then that would be awesome

Landing against Bowser isn't really that much of an issue. I say that as someone who has experience against the best Bowsers in SoCal and mains a character who struggles at landing.
Just go for the ledge and regain your positioning the long way.
Bowser on the ledge is scary, sure, but doable.

You say "just kill with upair or bair" like it's this really simple thing like how DK "just" kills you from cargo upthrow. It's not that easy. It requires reads/punishes.

TurboLink

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4725-8278-5467
So what are the thoughts on Doc? Personally I find him to be really underrated.
As said by someone from /r/Smashbros.

He's not. Everything that makes Mario so good was taken out of Doc.

Mario has some of the most consistent combos in the game. Doc doesn't have that.

Mario has fantastic mobility to make up for his lack of range. Doc doesn't have that.

Mario has a multitude of things to do after a grab. Doc doesn't have that.

Mario's fantastic mobility can translate to a potent off-stage game. Doc can't do that.

He's not slightly worse than Mario. He's Mario completely neutered of all things viable.

Last edited:

ILOVESMASH

Smash Ace
NNID
Marioman123450
3DS FC
3368-1022-7382
I think Doc is somewhere in mid tier. His OOS options are among the best is the game thanks to his frame 3 Up B and Frame 6 grab + very fast aerials. He has a pretty decent edge-guarding game as well due to his down B having a lingering Hitbox and being able to KO around 90-100% off stage + his cape being able to screw over some of the more linear recoveries's in the game. His amazing frame data and damage per hit gives him strong tools in the neutral (particularly his Bair), the ability to perform high damaging strings, and 2 decent combo breakers (one of which kills). Unfortunately, Doc's issues (bad Speed, bad Range, bad recovery) really harm him in most MUs. I think that he struggles greatly with the top tier due to the aforementioned issues, but has decent MUs against the mid and low tier characters due to his strengths.

Last edited:

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609

Actually Sakurai said months ago that Ganondorf is the same in honor of his dad, slow but scary at the same time he said describes him.
You make Pit sound like he sucks, yet he's a high tier character.

Upperdash isn't a shoddy(I think that's the word) version of Raptor Boost while being much more useful than his last side b, Power of Flight is alot better then his last recovery, and pretty much all the changes Sakurai gave Pit made him a way better character than how you describe him.

Besides, he's the only all around balanced type character in the game(replacing Mario pretty much), probably the new beginner character, and it helps continue off of Uprising.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Most characters side-B kills around 120-140 stage dependent. Can KO pretty reliably at 120-130 when you land on platforms yeah.
It's not like I think Bowser's like bottom 10 or anything like that.
But he could be much better if he got more reward off of grabs at low percents.
Frankly, getting grabbed by Bowser at low percents isn't threatening. Getting grabbed by DK, Charizard or DDD is though 'cause they have more damage output off grabs.

Being put in "kill range" doesn't matter that much when you have no semi-consistent setups which lead into moves that would kill in that range.
It's scary, but Bowser has to get a read or you have to mess up. He can't lead into kills unless you don't know how he can lead into grounded Bowser Bombs from jab and what not.
The faster Bowser is able to get people to reliable KO percents (where they'll die from side-Bs, bthrows, fairs, or other good tools), the better. If Bowser could put you in kill range faster, which would mean you're in kill range for more time and thus more likely to die before Bowser does, then that would be awesome

Landing against Bowser isn't really that much of an issue. I say that as someone who has experience against the best Bowsers in SoCal and mains a character who struggles at landing.
Just go for the ledge and regain your positioning the long way.
Bowser on the ledge is scary, sure, but doable.

You say "just kill with upair or bair" like it's this really simple thing like how DK "just" kills you from cargo upthrow. It's not that easy. It requires reads/punishes.
Literally every character in the game has to get reads for kills. Even if you have kill confirms out of grabs you still need a read to get the grab. The point is that Bowser, like these characters with kill confirms, only needs soft reads to kill before 100 because the frame data on his pre-100 kill moves is equivalent to many tilts and slower jabs.

Fair is two frames slower than bair

I don't think you understand how legit downb is even without the jab set-up. It's frame 11, so you're talking about a tilt-speed move that kills at 80, and can be done out of a jab, a dash, the air and can be pivoted. It's basically DK's frame 11 dsmash on roids seeing as dsmash doesn't kill until over 100 most of the time, and can't be used in as many situations.

Down is way easier to land than sideb seeing as sideb has atrocious range on the ground and is frame 17 in the air. It has no grab armour so it can't beat out attacks like downb can. Downb is also easier to set up than a bthrow at the ledge, especially considering they normally need to be over 100 for bthrow to work.

Frame 11 is only a few frames slower than the kill-confirm grabs that you consider reliable. You might as well say pre-patch Luigi's ability to kill was bad because he needed 'reads' to get the grab.

Last edited:

NairWizard

Somewhere
Frame 11 is only a few frames slower than the kill-confirm grabs that you consider reliable. You might as well say pre-patch Luigi's ability to kill was bad because he needed 'reads' to get the grab.
The difference is that Luigi missing a dashgrab results in no punishment most of the time whereas Bowser missing down-b results in hey free 50% damage string thank you (or killing smash).

Routa

Smash Lord
I think Doc is underrated, but at the same time overrated. He has best OoS game and... And... Erm... He can kill? But seriously only thing he has going for himself is awsome frame data. He lacks speed for combos, his recovery is very ****ty and even tho he can kill kinda early... well he has to fish for it. I like to compare him to a super computer that runs on a Windows Vista. He isn't solo viable nor counterpick viable in my eyes, do to his meh at best MUs. I can see him viable in doubles tho, but that is pretty much it.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
The difference is that Luigi missing a dashgrab results in no punishment most of the time whereas Bowser missing down-b results in hey free 50% damage string thank you (or killing smash).
That's true but a lot of the time you either do it out of jab, or it's a reactive punish to a whiff or blocking something. A lot of the time you do it in CQC and do the reason you don't land it is because they hit you before frame 11 with a fast move. Only times when you'll complete the animation and get punished hard is if you go for a hard read when you're in advantage, which isn't that necessary a lot of the time.

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
I think Doc is underrated, but at the same time overrated. He has best OoS game and... And... Erm... He can kill? But seriously only thing he has going for himself is awsome frame data. He lacks speed for combos, his recovery is very ****ty and even tho he can kill kinda early... well he has to fish for it. I like to compare him to a super computer that runs on a Windows Vista. He isn't solo viable nor counterpick viable in my eyes, do to his meh at best MUs. I can see him viable in doubles tho, but that is pretty much it.
Except no, we're actually decent, with frame data and fast pokes that grants us a decent neutral.
I think people keep forgetting that we have 50/50s, where you don't air dodge, we get Bair, or Uair, and if you do, we get Up-b, and every aerial move we have in our arsenal. Low %s, we get Dthrow-Usmash, which is around 20% which isn't too bad.
You have to remember that we are not a character of extreme absolutes, that we have a balanced moveset to handle any problem, so that gives us even-ish MUs across the board.

Jamurai

Victory is my destiny
NNID
Jamurai92
I don't think Doc is underrated. He has higher kill power than Mario and has godlike OoS (although this was nerfed in the latest patch). But at what cost? His mobility is awful. I try out Doc occasionally cause he's a cool dude and I like his surgeon outfit. But after the first 30 seconds, I remember that his being a snail is what puts me off him every time. That and his limited recovery. He has a combo game but Mario's is far superior because can make use of his wicked frame data thanks to his mobility... whereas Doc just can't follow up because his jumps and general speed are kinda pathetic.

His saving grace is he has similarly great frame data like Mario, and he has a few amazing moves eg. Bair. He also has cape to avoid being completely camped out by projectile fiends. Overall he's ok but that isn't enough to make him mid tier or anything imo. I don't think he's viable by himself but he could be an ok secondary. What are his best matchups?

( TTTTTsd TTTTTsd )

TriTails

Smash Lord
I don't think Doc is underrated. He has higher kill power than Mario and has godlike OoS (although this was nerfed in the latest patch). But at what cost? His mobility is awful. I try out Doc occasionally cause he's a cool dude and I like his surgeon outfit. But after the first 30 seconds, I remember that his being a snail is what puts me off him every time. That and his limited recovery. He has a combo game but Mario's is far superior because can make use of his wicked frame data thanks to his mobility... whereas Doc just can't follow up because his jumps and general speed are kinda pathetic.

His saving grace is he has similarly great frame data like Mario, and he has a few amazing moves eg. Bair. He also has cape to avoid being completely camped out by projectile fiends. Overall he's ok but that isn't enough to make him mid tier or anything imo. I don't think he's viable by himself but he could be an ok secondary. What are his best matchups?

( TTTTTsd TTTTTsd )
Doc doesn't really need to combo much when he has his godlike 16% U-smash or 14% B-air. Some of his moves need damage buffs (N-air, jab, D-smash) tho.

At least Doc has better Luigi MU than Mario, whereas we completely outdamage Mario up-close, Doc can actually try to match our damage output thanks to SHAC B-air and 16% U-smash. Seriously though, DAT UP SMASH.

IIRC, D-throw + U-air + SJP is actually a kill combo at kill percents, but it seems to be rage + DI + character dependent.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
The Space World 2000 demo featured Ganondorf and Link, both bearing their Ocarina of Time designs, in a swordfight. Sakurai realised that Ganondorf was a popular character, since he placed highly on the pre-Melee character poll, but he didn't have enough time to make a brand new character in the timeframe the dev team had. Sakurai said he had the option of creating one new character (which he suggested would be Wario) or a few clones based on existing characters, so he decided to create the clones instead. He decided to use the model of Ganondorf from the Space World demo and paste it over Captain Falcon's skeleton, since the two had fundamentally similar body types and Ganondorf was depicted as a strong warrior type in the demo. The sword isn't used in his moveset, but it can still be found in his "challenger approaching" pose and one of his victory animations. He was the final character added to Melee and Sakurai has stated that the reason he doesn't change Ganondorf more significantly is because he doesn't want to alienate fans of the character that have become used to his moveset.

Now tying that somewhat tangibly into the discussion of Pit's changes...~

It's true that Pit was changed quite substantially between Brawl and Smash 4. I never played Brawl competitively and I didn't care for Pit back then, but what I can say is that the changes, while weakening his moveset in theory, ensure that Pit's a more balanced character.

The removal of gliding is a big deal in this game. I remember Meta Knight's reveal on the official Smash website, and my brother's disdain at the prospect of the character returning. Even as non-competitive players, the masked devil's reputation preceded him, and neither of us were particularly excited by the idea that we'd have to put up with his shenanigans again. What caught my eye was the comment explicitly made by Sakurai regarding the character's up-b: Shuttle Loop, Sakurai explained, now only spins once and doesn't confirm into glide. It was a subtle yet significant detail, which suggested to me that balancing the most controversial issues in Brawl was a high priority in this game. Even for a casual player base, Meta Knight was a frustrating experience and very easy to abuse in friendly play. The fact that Sakurai was willing to remove an entire gameplay rmechanic for the sake of balance made me realise what I had known in theory for some time: balance is a very detailed and radical process.

Bear in mind that Sakurai and the dev team consider every facet of play when determining what needs to be balanced: casual play has just as much of an impact on balance as competitive play/ (if not more so, much to chagrin of this thread). As a casual player, I remember thinking how abusable Pit's specials were: arrow camping, two decent reflect options with good frame data and an incredible recovery in addition to gliding made Pit a very frustrating character in casual play. If your opponent wanted to just stand at the other side of the stage and zone you out, you had to either respect their options or try to get into Pit's space and beat his face in. Thing is, he didn't have especially great options in close-range combat, so even from a casual perspective, his moveset felt imbalanced. He was incredibly frustrating from a certain perspective and totally underwhelming in others. The fact that Pit had the option to just camp out under the stage with his up-b speaks for itself.

Pit in Smash 4 seems to be designed with "moderation" as the founding philosophy. His specials were changed significantly to mitigate their ease of use in casual play:

- Arrows can't be controlled to the same extent, thereby weakening his camping game

- Side-b is now a kill move that increases Pit's kill power at the cost of ease of use, which fits well into the idea that Pit is a more methodical and precise character in this game

- Up-b isn't absolutely stupid and is definitely the most radical change to Pit's moveset, it's still useful as a recovery and is easy for new player to get comfortable with how recoveries function in Smash

- Down-b is slower and therefore doesn't have the same practicality as a reflector, but it now shields both sides, has a wider area of coverage and projects a windbox to make it useful as an edgeguarding option; it absorbs damage, but the fact that it can be broken means it isn't an infallible defense option, so it can't be propped up indefinitely in casual play

What we need to consider here is that the "nerf" (if you want to be so blithe about it) to his specials have been designed within the context of a greater revamp to his moveset. If his specials have been weakened, it's to balance out the changes to his normals. Pit doesn't rely on any one option over the other, he can't just stay back and camp out the opponent. Since he can't do that, he has to be able to fight close-range, which he now can thanks to improvements to his disjoints and a better combo game. If Pit in Brawl is a zoney camper with two reflect options and a great recovery, Pit in Smash 4 is a more balanced creature, a swordfighter with a projectile and a variety of options to keep him consistent in every facet, rather than specialising in one thing at the cost of everything else.

The results speak for themselves. Pit in Brawl is a nuisance in casual play and very easy to play the camping game with, but in competitive play, he doesn't really factor into the relevant itinerary of the meta. Pit in Smash 4 is relatively weak in casual play, since he doesn't have exceptional options to power his way through his opponents (Sakurai even said he thinks Pit is "below average" in this game), but his great fundamentals and ability to reflect the player's practical consistency means he's widely agreed to be a high-tier character. I'd rather a consistent fighter with decent options, but nothing absolutely overt, than a character that relies on one or two options to the detriment of everything else.

Jack of all trades, master of none; often much better than simply the one.

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss

( TTTTTsd TTTTTsd )
His mobility is over exaggerated, it's not that bad. He's not Mario in running, but he has fast air speed. And you're forgetting that he has a good amount of pokes and a workable projectile to have a existing neutral.
His recovery can be worked with if you know how to wave bounce and b reverse down b, which turns your back towards your opponent to give you b-air to use. His recovery can be stretched, but it's sup-par at best. Btw, we mostly have 50/50s, not true combo setups.
With his versatile moveset, he has no counters. Nobody out footsies him to the point of always staying in disadvantage and his disadvantage is good enough (Nair and Up-b) to where he doesn't get blown up. His recovery is very sup-par, but people with terrible recoveries in other smash games have always been able to work around it. Like brawl Olimar, brawl/melee Falco, all smash games fox, majority smash games capt. Falcon, and ice climbers.
Lastly, there's not a match where we have to use a secondary since we have a versatile moveset it allows us to combat any situation. It's a given if you're a clone of mario.

Browny

Smash Hater
Literally every character in the game has to get reads for kills. Even if you have kill confirms out of grabs you still need a read to get the grab.
Shielding + grabbing does not count as a read lol.

His recovery is very sup-par, but people with terrible recoveries in other smash games have always been able to work around it. Like brawl Olimar, brawl/melee Falco, all smash games fox, majority smash games capt. Falcon, and ice climbers.
Suggesting that melee falco/brawl olimar were able to work around their poor recovery is a joke rofl. If they didnt DI up while going offstage or lost their second jump, they were dead and that's all there was to it.

Last edited:

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss

Suggesting that melee falco/brawl olimar were able to work around their poor recovery is a joke rofl. If they didnt DI up while going offstage or lost their second jump, they were dead and that's all there was to it.
That's actually not what I meant. I meant that their recovery didn't stop them from bring top tier threats and dominant beings.

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789

Then Bowser doesn't need reads to kill at 80% considering downb is a viable punish on a block, particularly powershield.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
My (inexpert) opinion on Doc:

He does not have the consistency or reliability to take him anywhere beyond mid-tier.

Put it this way: you have Mario, a character who's reasonably fast (in terms of movement speed and frame data), has great combo potential, a versatile set of specials and a decent semi-invincible recovery. His biggest problem is that, even with his ability to rack up damage easily, he has difficulty getting the kill.

Then you have Doc, a character that has the exact same frame data and comparable specials, with his damage output and kill power jazzed up to eleven. His combo game and recovery are noticeably weaker, in addition to the fact that he's heavier and his movement speed is slower.

Doc is, in a sense, the polar opposite of Mario: he has no problem killing, but he has difficulty getting into a position where he can confirm into a kill. His movement speed means he can't catch up with faster characters, which means whatever opportunities he gets to connect his moves have to count. He reminds me of Ganondorf in that sense: great reward, but he really needs to go out of his way to ensure his moves connect.

If you happen to drop your guard and end up in his space, you're going to get punished and it's going to hurt. He gets good grab reward, he has a respectable edgeguarding game, his OOS options are nothing short of incredible and his frame data ensures he has some kind of combo game. He does have strengths, I don't think you can be a terrible character when you're based in some way on Mario. I just don't think his strengths make up for his weaknesses, especially in a meta dominated by fast, safe, combo-intense characters that don't fall for Doc's punish game.

TriTails

Smash Lord
Then you have Doc, a character that has the exact same frame data and comparable specials, with his damage output and kill power jazzed up to eleven. His combo game and recovery are noticeably weaker, in addition to the fact that he's heavier and his movement speed is slower.

Doc is, in a sense, the polar opposite of Mario: he has no problem killing, but he has difficulty getting into a position where he can confirm into a kill. His movement speed means he can't catch up with faster characters, which means whatever opportunities he gets to connect his moves have to count. He reminds me of Ganondorf in that sense: great reward, but he really needs to go out of his way to ensure his moves connect.
Doc's frame data is NOT the exact same as Mario. U-smash and D-air are different.

Doc also weights exactly the same as Mario.

'He has no problem killing, but he has difficulty getting into a position where he can confirm into a kill.'. I think this actually describes Mario. U-smash and F-smash are powerful, but he can't land them very easily (Sometimes results in opponents living to absurd percents).

He does have strengths, I don't think you can be a terrible character when you're based in some way on Mario.
64 Luigi tho :awesome:.

Wintropy

NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Doc's frame data is NOT the exact same as Mario. U-smash and D-air are different.
Well I think d-air is exempt since it's a totally different move, but you're right about u-smash. Apologies, I should have said that 90% of his frame data is the same.

Doc also weights exactly the same as Mario.
'Kay.

'He has no problem killing, but he has difficulty getting into a position where he can confirm into a kill.'. I think this actually describes Mario. U-smash and F-smash are powerful, but he can't land them very easily (Sometimes results in opponents living to absurd percents).
Yes, but it's more extreme in Doc's case. That was my point.

64 Luigi tho :awesome:.
I meant in this game, but yeah, that's a fair point~ ;3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom