• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

VGBootCamp: Regarding Project M

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
So much ignorance on both sides of the issue here...

But alas, I only really play the official games, so this isn't really relevant to me. Sucks for the PM fans though, and for that you guys have my condolences. Losing a stream really sucks.

[OCK]LLama

Smash Cadet
http:// en.wikipedia .org/wiki/Lewis_Galoob_Toys,_Inc._v._Nintendo_of_America,_Inc.

lmao

;]

GangsterPuff

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Gpuff
3DS FC
1289-9497-1235
Man, Nintendo this, Nintendo that, I rather lose the sponsor from Nintendo than letting PM go, it's not like they are contributing anything big to the community other than money.

Iron_argon

Smash Rookie
I honestly think it's disgusting seeing how the PM community acts toward this decision. The PM community often acts as if they're much bigger than they actually are, and as if they have a say in how their game can be publicly shown and/or streamed.

But the whole "**** Nintendo" attitude that seems to come with a lot of the PM community (not all of it) is certainly not helping their case. Attitudes like the ones they present are what drives Nintendo ever closer to wanting to shut it down all together. The amount of disrespect toward Nintendo and Sakurai in the PM community is why I honestly don't want to be affiliated with them.

I know it sucks losing a stream, but at this point, the potention legal consequences that GimR may face for continuing to stream PM would be far worse than the drop in subs he may experience from discontinuing PM streaming.

BoomToast

Smash Cadet
NNID
Mikeydakid
3DS FC
1161-0269-8180
Must be rough for PM fans, but it is not like this was never a possibility. Did people not see this coming? :ohwell:

MegaMissingno

Smash Ace
NNID
missingno
I have every reason to be upset about this, don't tell me I'm not allowed to be angry.

MeteorD

Smash Rookie
lel, literally selling out to get on Nintendo's good side pre-emptively, and Sm4sh players are defending it because they don't play PM

D

Deleted member

Hmm.... Project M is the only smash brothers game I can play at my full capacity, and I'm scared that it could possibly die out... if that were to happen I would have not games.... :crying: Please keep living strong, PM.

[OCK]LLama

Smash Cadet
I honestly think it's disgusting seeing how the PM community acts toward this decision. The PM community often acts as if they're much bigger than they actually are, and as if they have a say in how their game can be publicly shown and/or streamed.

But the whole "**** Nintendo" attitude that seems to come with a lot of the PM community (not all of it) is certainly not helping their case. Attitudes like the ones they present are what drives Nintendo ever closer to wanting to shut it down all together. The amount of disrespect toward Nintendo and Sakurai in the PM community is why I honestly don't want to be affiliated with them.

I know it sucks losing a stream, but at this point, the potention legal consequences that GimR may face for continuing to stream PM would be far worse than the drop in subs he may experience from discontinuing PM streaming.
You're acting like Nintendo has taken any legal action in the past against PM.

You're also implying Nintendo has taken legal action before against mods and won in court.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lewis_Galoob_Toys,_Inc._v._Nintendo_of_America,_Inc.

Read up, If PM is ever threatened by Nintendo, this is how it will go down.

I don't like the **** Nintendo thing any more than you guys, but don't act like these ******* threatening GimR represent us. I want PM to be in the spotlight more than anybody, but I know when we've gone too far. I personally think if GimR doesn't feel safe, I'm sorry, and we should go to another streamer

But I also think anybody thinking Nintendo will C&D PM is just ignorant. Not stupid, ignorant

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
lel, literally selling out to get on Nintendo's good side pre-emptively, and Sm4sh players are defending it because they don't play PM
So this is why the community has been seen as ****, I see now
I know not everyone is bad but people like you are giving them a bad name

Last edited:

JSG

Smash Apprentice
NNID
JustinJSG
Thanks for the explanation, GIMR. I will still continue to support VGBC, even if a game I liked watching isn't there. I knew something like this was going to happen eventually, and if anything, I still love the Smash 4 and Melee content you provide us!

While the situation seems really bad for us PM lovers and players alike, I can at least respect your decision. I definitely see the business strategy in this, and hey, businesses need to get off their feet eventually if they want to make it big and stay big in an immensely growing scene. Better to save the stream entirely than to lose it by streaming a "legal gray area." As much as I love PM, I'd rather keep VGBC and watch PM in other places, than [potentially losing VGBC and potentially PM...

By the way, PM isn't dead because one big stream isn't streaming it. Go and sub other PM streams and support other places and make them the new VGBC of PM. I feel like that's the best bet if you are super upset about GIMR's decisions. Waiting for VGBC to go back to PM or throwing pitchforks at GIMR won't really do too much. We gotta move forward.

If anything, thanks for the amazing PM content you've given us over the years. It's sad to see a fan favorite game go, but we're looking forward to all the new shows you have in store for us! <3

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I still think people saying we don't need Nintendo really doesn't get what that gets is for the future.

Full grassroots is not the answer.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
I still think people saying we don't need Nintendo really doesn't get what that gets is for the future.

atomicblast360

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AtomicBlast360
I will also continue to support VGBC as the best Smash channel out there. And yes, having Nintendo support us in an AMAZING thing, grassroots I have to agree with Red Ryu, is not the answer right now.

Last edited:

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
Come on guys, you really want GimR to potentially get sued for content that's not really legal to begin with? If he gains too much popularity with PM on the forefront, Nintendo may have a strong enough case to get into a lawsuit with the creators right behind him. So it's either keep PM existing by letting someone less popular and younger lead that front or stick with it and have the mod completely nullified its future.

Harley Pawluk

Smash Rookie
Ok. So things I've learned today.

To all the people giving a full, thought out and educated discussion arguing for or against it. I love you and you guys keep the smash community alive.

The rest of you are awful

[OCK]LLama

Smash Cadet

We've NEVER needed nintendo until now. And we've done fine, literally we've gotten here because everyone EXCEPT nintendo has helped us.

I welcome nintendo to this community with open arms, but I also know that just letting our selves die out to money(Not talking about GimR, talking about the future) is not the answer to this new relationship.

also just posting this for the last time:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lewis_Galoob_Toys,_Inc._v._Nintendo_of_America,_Inc.

lolimplyingnnintendocantrytothreatenPM

MeteorD

Smash Rookie
Never really played it anyway, I feel it's a slap in the face for Sakurai. However, it is sad to see the creators also get a slap in the face. Never liked the game, but I feel bad for the creators of PM.
"Never played it"
"Never liked it"
Haha, ****ing hilarious

pokemario

Smash Cadet
NNID
pokemario24
3DS FC
3067-5423-1066
"Never played it"
"Never liked it"
Haha, ****ing hilarious
By never really played it, I mean I played it about 3 times. I don't wanna deal with more backlash, so this will be my last post.

Last edited:

LeafB

Smash Rookie
The competitive scene may be strong, but it's not exactly entitled to dictating the developers.
We also have to consider how little of the entire Smash consumer base we actually make up. We've gotten larger, but we're still only a tiny fraction. Nintendo has been very gracious to this (comparatively) small community. They don't have to support us.

Kink-Link5

Smash Hero
The competitive community was healthy and growing before Nintendo started to recognize us. The invitational tournament was an amazing gesture, but this is a very disheartening situation. I'm not sure what PM is to do now. It'll be a miracle if it starts growing again.

This entire article seems very dodgy to me. What happens if Sm4sh goes the way of Brawl? A Nintendo partnership may prevent Sm4sh from dying, but is that really healthy for the community? I love and respect Melee, but are we going to keep playing it for another 14 years?

"We are working on securing partnerships that will allow us to grow the community faster than ever before."

This quote in particular very much scares me.
Of course the quote is scary. It's worded as the kind of stuff that gets stock investors and business partners happy, and is pretty in line with the other unusual behavior GimR has been exhibiting lately.

From an Apex video uploaded before it was present on the VGBC page:

VGBootCamp
commented on a video on YouTube.Shared publicly - Feb 3, 2015

Please take down our videos from your channel. I'd rather you not get 3 strikes and have your channel deleted

The video has since been taken down, again before VGBC had it up in the first place to make good on threats.

It's all very strange and worded with a business-like aloofness and semi-passive threatening manner. It's uncharacteristic of GimR and it's extremely uncharacteristic of the Smash scene, and this is just another move that seems poisoned by Nintendo's involvement with the scene and the "one unit" propaganda.

But it doesn't matter, because Smash is bigger than any of this and if Nintendo and GimR want to cut ties to such a large part of the community, we'll be fine without them, just like we were fine before them.

MeteorD

Smash Rookie
So I cant not be a fan of something but still feel sympathy for it?

Well then, maybe it isn't worth feeling sympathy for if your act like a spoiled brat like this
The guy stated that he didn't like it when he hasn't even played it. There's a difference between indifference and not liking something, if pointing out something so obvious is actually necessary then I can't really say that I'd want any sympathy. It's not going to change jack point **** anyway.

EpixAura

Smash Journeyman
People need to realize that the community is upset not just because of this, but because of all that has happened in the last few months. PM hasn't been on the national stage in a long time, and it's because of Nintendo and Smash 4, and frankly, I think the community took the APEX and CEO news rather well. However, this is a lot happening at once. It's similar to the "Melee" chants at Apex. Yes, a lot of people really wanted to see Melee start, but for most of the people, it was a way to vent frustrations about having to switch venues, things running hours behind schedule, having to go to work after staying up till who whenever they got home, and having to drive home in the snow at 3 AM.

The community is going through a lot right now, and plenty of people aren't even realizing what the problem with this situation on it's own is. I can guarantee if most of these people were in this situation, they would react the same way. There's a lot I could say to elaborate, but I hope everyone can understand what I'm trying to get at.

[OCK]LLama

Smash Cadet
So I cant not be a fan of something but still feel sympathy for it?

Well then, maybe it isn't worth feeling sympathy for if your act like a spoiled brat like this
They're referring to the fact that it said never played and never liked. Which is kinda odd since disliking something without trying it is irrational to most people.

Don't call people ad hominems and expect to automatically win the argument. It only makes your argument looks more dis likable. This goes for both sides.

It's called arguing, not a flame war, if you want one of those, please stick to /v/ on 4chan

NintyTheRagekid

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NintyTheRageKid
3DS FC
5455-9431-1608
Switch FC
SW-2209-3322-3333
Oh, I can picture the chat now.

(╭ರ_•́)\ Dear Mr. Calvin "GimR" Lofton, we politely ask for the software 'Project M' to be played in this live broadcast for alas we will stir up a ruckus. Thank you. -The Twitch Chat (╭ರ_•́)\
Oh wait, that will be me.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Its better than losing the BEST smash game. Id rather lose Nintendo's support over Pm anyday since Nintendo isnt even gonna support us correctly anyway.
"BEST" is highly subjective. Just saying.

Raccoon Chuck

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3437-3568-6776
Well, looks like we've gone back to having one game in which most of the matchups have devolved into a "Attack on Fox" mentality to take seriously, while the other is nothing more than timeouts and Diddy-hate. Meanwhile, Nintendo is throwing their promotion into a game containing the bare minimum in competitive depth and creativity, and taking subtle satisfaction in the fact that spineless figureheads are killing off a great deal of their community in favor of waiting for patches, prizes, and buffs that wont ever appear, for a game Nintendo will ditch whenever something new is on the horizon.

hororscope

Smash Rookie
YEAH WERE ALL SMASH BROTHERS WE ALL SUPPORT AND RESPECT EACH OTHER #ONEUNIT*

*disclaimer: does not apply to project m.

Phyvo

Smash Journeyman
Well, where do i watch PM now? :(
There are PM tournaments going on virtually every night of the week on twitch.tv. All you have to do is search for the "Project M" game category and they're there. None of them have the numbers of old VGBC but that's due to people overlooking them, not because the tournaments lack good players or have terrible stream quality.

Raccoon Chuck

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3437-3568-6776
YEAH WERE ALL SMASH BROTHERS WE ALL SUPPORT AND RESPECT EACH OTHER #ONEUNIT*

*disclaimer: does not apply to project m.
*further disclaimer: does not apply to Brawl, 64, and eventually Melee either, since all we want is to kill off every little thing we consider out of date and useless to our Diddy-Sakurai overlords...*

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
*further disclaimer: does not apply to Brawl, 64, and eventually Melee either, since all we want is to kill off every little thing we consider out of date and useless to our Diddy-Sakurai overlords...*
Drop the attitude. It's entirely unnecessary and makes you look like a jerk, to use a nicer term.

Top Bottom