• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Vertical Knockback inversion (aka God DI) and other epic DIs

Veril

Frame Savant
I'm not going to say I discovered GDI. But I'm definitely the only person who's really looked into it. I would say I found it but some a****** from the tactical boards would probably flame me.

Regardless, people have been asking me about it... in ever growing numbers, so in an attempt to clear things up...

God DI ( it'll make your opponent s*** their pants)
-Its awesome.

What is God DI?
-God DI is the term I have used for an advanced form of directional influence that results in total knockback inversion. In other words, instead of going up, you go down. You can in some cases tech the hit, and in others you cannot but it doesn't matter. I'll go into this more later.

GDI can save your a**. If and when you miss a rest or it doesn't KO (and I had a pikachu survive rest at over 100% on Corneria) GDI is a godsend.

GDI vs. Lucas's Up-smash: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3_MGqugkuE&feature=channel_page
GDI vs. Zelda's F-smash: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8GC9x0J2Mw&feature=channel

Are you going to talk about physics now? How does GDI work?

-Yes. GDI utilizes multiple double stick DIs in a specific pattern very quickly and precisely. Or just double stick DIing downish (varies by move) like a madman. The exact mechanics of it are a little confusing but... you basically have to get the final knockback hit with a doublestick downwards DI. Position definitely matters as well, though I don't know exactly why it seems to only work if you moving under the hitbox... eh.

When you GDI if you hit the ground during hitstun, as is seen in the Lucas vid, in which case you can't tech, but the opponent has no followup option. Otherwise you can tech as normal, as seen in the Zelda vid.

Moves that can be (consciously) GDI'd must:

1. Either have multiple hits, cinematic hitstun, or both.
2. They must have some degree of vertical knockback.
3. Either you must be at a certain % or they first hits must have set knockback.
4. If their is a pull effect it must be possible to escape it. This makes some GDI spacing dependent (Zelda's up-smash probably fits this category).
5. You can't remain grounded. This is an absolute requirement.
6. More will be added as I think of stuff

It is unknown whether this could work on any type of throw.

List of moves compatible:

Confirmed, Confirmed but method underdeveloped, theoretically possible, maybe "shrug". Moves that can be escaped in a better way won't be listed. I'll add more I promise :)

Bowser: F-smash

Captain Falcon: Up smash, Pawnch

Diddy Kong: better options vs. all of these. That said, F-smash, Up-smash

DK: ?...

Lucas: Up-smash, d-smash, PKT2

Zelda: Jab, F-smash, Up-smash, n-air, f-air, b-air.

Other Epic DIs

1. DI to the side and tech into the stage to survive a spike.
2. DI and SDI down after a hit with horizontal knockback if you are getting hit down a slight slope and tech. Snazzy.
3. SDI into rest. uh, I say a lot about that elsewhere.
4. Horizontal knockback inversion. Good vs. diddy's f-smash and Snake's f-tilt. Hard to do on purpose but very useful for surviving powerful hits if you are near the ledge on one end of the stage.

I had a long day... so I'll write up the specific methods for each move when I'm less burnt out.

Veril

Frame Savant
Nice stuff. Good luck with all this stuff. I like the greens and the yellow for Zelda.
I'm working on making the yellow a green. I know its possible since I've pulled it off. I'm just not sure of the method and can't do it consistently like I can with the F-smash.

Airgemini

Chansey
Safari Zone. Shiny, and holding a Lucky Egg.
3DS FC
2406-5625-4787
So basically this is SDI but to the extreme?

Hm interesting, so if you're facing Zelda and you get hit by Fsmash, would GDI be best used downwards for a tech or upwards to avoid the final hit and possibly land a Rest?

Veril

Frame Savant
So basically this is SDI but to the extreme?

Hm interesting, so if you're facing Zelda and you get hit by Fsmash, would GDI be best used downwards for a tech or upwards to avoid the final hit and possibly land a Rest?
downwards. F-smash resting is really dicey.

EWING

Smash Apprentice
School: Nashville, TN Home: Long Island, NY
so do you need to be near the ground to do this, or does it work when you're completely in the air? what are the mechanics like if you're like... hit with falcons knee way offstage?

also cinematic hitstun = mad poetic

DJ Kat

Smash Apprentice
Jeez, with so much activity on these boards, it makes you wonder what Veril does in his/her free time (Well, other than the obvious - not to mention when busy). >_>

Also, do you mind posting the percents that this doesn't work at? 'Cause I had a hard time stopping Lucas' USmash at moderate percents~

Veril

Frame Savant
Jeez, with so much activity on these boards, it makes you wonder what Veril does in his/her free time (Well, other than the obvious - not to mention when busy). >_>

Also, do you mind posting the percents that this doesn't work at? 'Cause I had a hard time stopping Lucas' USmash at moderate percents~
I'm a nursing student. I commute to a school about an hour away. I do homework, chores, various non-smash related social stuff... and yeah, I've got a lot of down time waiting for class and universal wifi access on my campus.

Thus, I'm here a lot. Sometimes I eat and/or sleep. I also play brawl. A lot.

I'll get around to the GDI % viable.

prOAPC

Smash Lord
(typical question from a Lucas boarder)
does it work with b-stick?
and while you are at it, do smash di and tap di work with b-stick?
lucas board miss you :( you are like the only one who can find and instant pkt2

Uffe

Smash Hero
I'm just wondering, does this work for every character or just Jigglypuff? If you said the whole roster can do this, I missed that part and I apologize for having to ask.

deepseadiva

Bodybuilding Magical Girl
3DS FC
1779-0766-2622
I thought this worked by jumping right before being hit and DIing the move behind them?

Maybe that's something else.

Veril

Frame Savant
(typical question from a Lucas boarder)
does it work with b-stick?
and while you are at it, do smash di and tap di work with b-stick?
lucas board miss you :( you are like the only one who can find and instant pkt2
I don't think they do... That's why I'm trying to learn to pseudo b-stick. I miss you guys to :ohwell: I'm just way more useful here. I'm making a vid about how I miss Lucas actually lol.

I'm just wondering, does this work for every character or just Jigglypuff? If you said the whole roster can do this, I missed that part and I apologize for having to ask.
Some of it will work for some characters. I'll test for Lucas, because he's awesome.

Zeldas Utilt has a (very) little bit of horizontal knockback and **** lots of vertically. Is it GDIble?
Not from the ground. I don't know if there's enough hitlag to pull it off in the air.

I thought this worked by jumping right before being hit and DIing the move behind them?

Maybe that's something else.
That is something else.

I'm using this thread now to discuss GDI btw. Its more current.
http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=220396

Top Bottom