• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Vegetarians And A Random Discussion..

Dodongo

rly likes smoke
BRoomer
The real problem with most milking operations is the amount of hormones and antibiotics they feed the cows to make them produce more than they naturally would. It also means that there is very often blood and pus in the extracted milk, yum.

slave1

Smash Lord
Okay. So I'm a Vegetarian. And this is just a random question I just thought of.
Could you surivive on leafs? First off, can you even eat regular leafs, or is it bad for you?
Also you could eat other stuff but for your veggies you only ate leafs.
people cannot just survive off leaves. i dont think they are healthy. and our body probably has a hard time breaking them down. so it would be inefficient source of energy.

look at animals that only eat once leaf, or type of plant. koala or panda for example. they are slow moving and they constantly have to eat or they die.

so no. dont try it. infact being a vegi-saurus sounds like a bad idea. i am not sure why you would want to be like that.

POKE40

Smash Lord
If anyone wants to be vegetarian, it is still good to eat fish.

Fish contains healthy amount of protein and omega-3.
Omega-3 lessens the chance of forming blood clots which ultimately reduce the chances of heart attack.

Nuts and whole grain food items are good for you.
They contain good amount of fiber and "healthy" fats (omega-3)
Nuts also have been shown to lower cholesterol.

Fruits are obviously good for you.
-free from bad cholesterol
-contains a lot of water
-fiber
-good for diet
-good for brainz

Vegetables:
A lot of good stuff to them.
I don't want to list them all.

Of course balanced with exercise and moderation on what you eat, you can live a long, healthy life.

Hydra.

Smash Lord
NNID
Aqua.Sword
Uh, that doesn't matter. Unless your cows are free range living on a farm, they are not living in happy conditions. A lot of commercial milking companies don't care about giving their cows much free range. And even if a carton of milk says "free range cows", you still need to be wary, because "free range" is a broad term.

Also, that video isn't a source. I actually would like Goldie to come here because he makes good arguments =)
Vegitarians can't really help where they are kept though.
And by not buying dairy products you shorten the animals life by sending them to the slaughter house early, For the lack of demand of product.

POKE40

Smash Lord
Vegitarians can't really help where they are kept though.
And by not buying dairy products you shorten the animals life by sending them to the slaughter house early, For the lack of demand of product.
You might be thinking vegan.
Vegans are like vegetarians but don't consume anything that is or contains milk, eggs, etc...

Vegetarians do drink milk.
Vegans do not.

/stereotypicalvegatarianandveganperson

Hydra.

Smash Lord
NNID
Aqua.Sword
You might be thinking vegan.
Vegans are like vegetarians but don't consume anything that is or contains milk, eggs, etc...

Vegetarians do drink milk.
Vegans do not.

/stereotypicalvegatarianandveganperson

I know.. that's what I was saying..

**** BECAUSE VEGANS DON'T BUY DAIRY PRODUCTS you shorten the animals life by sending them to the slaughter house early, For the lack of demand of product. ****

I deffinitly know the diffrence between Vegetarians and Vegans, thankyou.

I don't drink milk, or eat eggs, (solely because I don't like them) but I eat things like yogurt, icecream, cheese, ect.

Hydra.

Smash Lord
NNID
Aqua.Sword
Just saying "drink eggs" makes me shiver.:(
Yeah, that would be soooo gross. xD
I hate eggs alone, but in a drink form... *gags*

Just saying "drink eggs" makes me shiver.:(
Since we are on the topic of vegan.

Who here in the smashboards is vegan.
0.o

Are you a vegan?

I am vegitarian, But I would consider myself half vegan lol... Since I don't drink milk at all or EAT eggs.

Livvers

Used to have a porpoise
BRoomer
I know.. that's what I was saying..

**** BECAUSE VEGANS DON'T BUY DAIRY PRODUCTS you shorten the animals life by sending them to the slaughter house early, For the lack of demand of product. ****

I deffinitly know the diffrence between Vegetarians and Vegans, thankyou.

I don't drink milk, or eat eggs, (solely because I don't like them) but I eat things like yogurt, icecream, cheese, ect.
Ok, that is the most ridiculous thing I've heard. You lower the demand, you lower the amount of animals, the easier it is to manage less cows in comfortable environments. So it's only ok as long as the cow isn't being killed? You are still supporting an industry that treats cows terribly. Maybe less demand because of inhumane conditions will actually push the dairy industry to change more? A cow isn't going to be killed early if it can produce milk. The "farm" will, excuse me, milk the cow for all it's worth.

Ok guys. Just be informed of what you are eating(from a real source and not some guy with an annoying way of filming):

"I'm gonna go ahead and repaste this report that I wrote for Farm Sanctuary when i was workgin for them)--- you can find it on their website. ( and if any ******* is like "well how does she know", remember, we rescued dairy cows from these situations all the time... the horrendous effects were on them were very real)

all dairy cows must give birth in order to begin producing milk. dairy cows are pretty much forced to have a calf every year. Like us, cows have a nine-month gestation period, and so giving birth every twelve months is physically demanding. The cows are also artificially re-impregnated while they are still lactating from their previous birthing, so their bodies are still producing milk during seven months of their nine-month pregnancy. With genetic manipulation and intensive production technologies, it is common for modern dairy cows to produce 100 pounds of milk a day — ten times more than they would produce naturally. As a result, the cows' bodies are under constant stress, and they are at risk for numerous health problems.

Approximately half of the country's dairy cows suffer from mastitis, a bacterial infection of their udders. This is such a common and costly ailment that a dairy industry group, the National Mastitis Council, was formed specifically to combat the disease. Other diseases, such as Bovine Leukemia Virus, Bovine Immunodeficiency Virus, and Johne's disease (whose human counterpart is Crohn's disease) are also rampant on modern dairies, but they commonly go unnoticed because they are either difficult to detect or have a long incubation period. A cow eating a normal grass diet could not produce milk at the abnormal levels expected on modern dairies, and so today's dairy cows must be given high energy feeds. The unnaturally rich diet causes metabolic disorders including ketosis, which can be fatal, and laminitis, which causes lameness.

Another dairy industry disease caused by intensive milk production is "Milk Fever." This ailment is caused by calcium deficiency, and it occurs when milk secretion depletes calcium faster than it can be replenished in the blood.

In a healthy environment, cows would live in excess of twenty-five years, but on modern dairies, they are slaughtered and made into ground beef after just three or four years. The abuse wreaked upon the bodies of dairy cows is so intense that the dairy industry also is a huge source of "downed animals" — animals who are so sick or injured that they are unable to walk even stand. Investigators have documented downed animals routinely being beaten, dragged, or pushed with bulldozers in attempts to move them to slaughter.

Although the dairy industry is familiar with the cows' health problems and suffering associated with intensive milk production, it continues to subject cows to even worse abuses in the name of increased profit. Bovine Growth Hormone (BGH), a synthetic hormone, is now being injected into cows to get them to produce even more milk. Besides adversely affecting the cows' health, BGH also increases birth defects in their calves.

Calves born to dairy cows are separated from their mothers immediately after birth. The half that are born female are raised to replace older dairy cows in the milking herd. The other half of the calves are male, and because they will never produce milk, they are raised and slaughtered for meat. Most are killed for beef, with close to one million being used for veal."

Mugen Infinity

Smash Apprentice
If anyone wants to be vegetarian, it is still good to eat fish.

Fish contains healthy amount of protein and omega-3.
Omega-3 lessens the chance of forming blood clots which ultimately reduce the chances of heart attack.
If you eat fish, you technically aren't a vegetarian any more. Abstaining from all meats, except fish, makes you a pescetarian.

I gave up swine and red meat about a month ago. Only eat chicken, fish, in addition to what a vegetarian would eat. Feels good man.

uhmuzing

human-alien-cig
Writing Team
Ugh, I could never be a vegetarian. I'm not strong enough. I have to have some kind of meat - its a neccesity. But no, I would not eat any part of myself. That's disgusting. :laugh: I'd eat the dirt on the island before I did that.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
I'd like to be a vegetarian, at least for a while in my life. However, being in college means I can't exactly be too picky with what I eat. Maybe afterwards

Livvers

Used to have a porpoise
BRoomer
If you eat fish, you technically aren't a vegetarian any more. Abstaining from all meats, except fish, makes you a pescetarian.

I gave up swine and red meat about a month ago. Only eat chicken, fish, in addition to what a vegetarian would eat. Feels good man.
Yeah my friend's the same. I think she did it for health reasons, since red meat isn't so good for you. She's no fun to pick on about it and wave hamburgers in her face, because she really doesn't miss it at all >=[

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
Ok so eating your skin in a desolate island with no food and just sand......... well i dont think you could eat your skin (well i chew off the skin of my fingers when im nervous) mostly because as stated above it has not nutritional value. Also alot of your skin are just dead skin cells. and they only stick on if you dont shower (you can shower in that island right?). so that means that when something is dead for a LONG time i think it loses whatever nutritional value it may have had. (again im sorry if im wrong. that just explains my grade in science)

Hydra.

Smash Lord
NNID
Aqua.Sword
Okay..
I keep getting really ticked off because my brother was a vegetarian and then he quit, (I knew he would), But then he is always telling me that he knows I won't be a vegetarian forever, and I just say, Don't tell me what i'll do. And then he says, "They don't even abuse those animals in the USA, they only do that in foiegn countries. Grampa told me and he knows more then you do" And i'm like WOW.... has Grandpa researched..? I didn't think so, and I was thinking, Way to try and justify yourself for having animals assassined. It would of just been better for him to say, Yeah I care more for my meat then the animals suffering, then for him to try and make himself feel like it was okay, and he was doing nothing wrong.

Scott!

Smash Lord
Well, assassinated is definitely not the right word. There are plenty of effective words that are correct, like slaughtered, but assassinated is definitely not correct. Also, has your grandfather researched? You make it sound like you assume he hasn't. We don't know him at all, so we can't know whether he did or not. Also, people will always feel the need to justify their actions, right or wrong.

Also, is it true whether they abuse animals here? I'd assume they do, because I'm cynical like that, but I haven't done the research because I'd sort of rather remain ignorant so that I can continue eating meat guilt-free, relatively speaking.

Mini Mic

Taller than Mic_128
BRoomer
For some reason I was thinking about it today and I came to the conclusion that I'm cool with eating human meat. A bit weird I know but it's just like any other meat when you think about it.

Livvers

Used to have a porpoise
BRoomer
Also, is it true whether they abuse animals here? I'd assume they do, because I'm cynical like that, but I haven't done the research because I'd sort of rather remain ignorant so that I can continue eating meat guilt-free, relatively speaking.
Pretty much yes. It's partly out of necessity. There are a lot of people to feed. Small time free range ranches with naturally raised and fed cows just aren't a possibility to feed a country of this size.

Large commercial farms have their animals in **** conditions.

And yeah, assassination means to kill an important figure who was specifically targeted.

Hydra.

Smash Lord
NNID
Aqua.Sword
Pretty much yes. It's partly out of necessity. There are a lot of people to feed. Small time free range ranches with naturally raised and fed cows just aren't a possibility to feed a country of this size.

Large commercial farms have their animals in **** conditions.

And yeah, assassination means to kill an important figure who was specifically targeted.
Well assassination is the only term I could think of because people get mad when you say murder, because they are like " Well I didn't really kill them blah blah" so I'm like okay... so you basicly paided for someone else to kill them, therfore assassination. But does assassination only apply to important figures really?

Well, assassinated is definitely not the right word. There are plenty of effective words that are correct, like slaughtered, but assassinated is definitely not correct. Also, has your grandfather researched? You make it sound like you assume he hasn't. We don't know him at all, so we can't know whether he did or not. Also, people will always feel the need to justify their actions, right or wrong.

Well one he doesn't have a computer. And two my grandparents are just telling my brothers crap so they won't be vegetarians, because they think they have to have meat to grow right, yada yada.

For some reason I was thinking about it today and I came to the conclusion that I'm cool with eating human meat. A bit weird I know but it's just like any other meat when you think about it.
Exactly..

Lythium

underachiever
BRoomer
as⋅sas⋅si⋅nate
  /əˈsæsəˌneɪt/[uh-sas-uh-neyt]
–verb (used with object), -nat⋅ed, -nat⋅ing.
1. to kill suddenly or secretively, esp. a politically prominent person; murder premeditated and treacherous.

-ACE-

Gotem City Vigilante
The thought of eating your own skin is ridiculous. You realize that you're basically eating solid fat unless you want to tear an actual muscle off your body, right? lol. You might bleed to death or get a disease, but hey, at least it would suppress your appetite for maybe an hour or two.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with organic lean meats and fish. I think the number of vegetarians that say they made the choice for their health is greater than the number of vegetarians that ACTUALLY made the choice for their health. Many do so just to make some sort of statement.

Chaco

Never Logs In
as⋅sas⋅si⋅nate
  /əˈsæsəˌneɪt/[uh-sas-uh-neyt]
–verb (used with object), -nat⋅ed, -nat⋅ing.
1. to kill suddenly or secretively, esp. a politically prominent person; murder premeditated and treacherous.
That doesn't really help me much.
She means you used the word "assassinate" out of context with them "assassinating" the animals. It is no secret they kill the animals.

Chaco

Never Logs In
What about poachers?
Wow, just wow. Vegetarians and poachers are no where near the same subject at all. First off, do you know what a Poacher is? A Poacher is a hunter who illegally kills animals for the sport in it. Not to feed someone. We deal with poachers all the time where we live. We have a lot of land surrounding us. But back to my main point here, I don't even see how you equate Poachers to Vegetarianism. I mean when people do Poach for food, I don't really see it as poaching, as much as them attempting survival because they have no other means to get food. Say you get lost in the woods, and have to be out there about a week. You end up on someone else's land (Which isn't a smart thing to do, stay where you get lost at and always inform someone of where you're going), and you haven't eaten in about two days and you're getting hungry. Do you think killing an animal to survive is poaching? I guess it's really debatable, and I don't want to have Livvers watch a debate and end up closing this thread. But just realize that:

Poaching=/=Meat Industry

In any form, ever.

Scott!

Smash Lord
What about poachers?
Wow, just wow. Vegetarians and poachers are no where near the same subject at all. First off, do you know what a Poacher is? A Poacher is a hunter who illegally kills animals for the sport in it. Not to feed someone. We deal with poachers all the time where we live. We have a lot of land surrounding us. But back to my main point here, I don't even see how you equate Poachers to Vegetarianism. I mean when people do Poach for food, I don't really see it as poaching, as much as them attempting survival because they have no other means to get food. Say you get lost in the woods, and have to be out there about a week. You end up on someone else's land (Which isn't a smart thing to do, stay where you get lost at and always inform someone of where you're going), and you haven't eaten in about two days and you're getting hungry. Do you think killing an animal to survive is poaching? I guess it's really debatable, and I don't want to have Livvers watch a debate and end up closing this thread. But just realize that:

Poaching=/=Meat Industry

In any form, ever.
I think he meant it about how someone said that the reason that assassination was the wrong word for killing animals was because it's not done in secret, like assassination. He wasn't comparing vegetarians and poachers, but rather, assassins and poachers.

Also, @ Superstar: I bet you could survive a day. I eat meat, but I know I could live without it. I'm just not willing to give it up in life.

Chaco

Never Logs In
Well, the way I worded it, I definitely meant the meat industry and not the "sport" in killing animals.

Top Bottom