• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Vegetarians And A Random Discussion..

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
I summon you, GoldShadow.

The Devil (Tom) made me do it.
Ask and ye shall receive :demon:

First off, you can't digest leaves because plant cell walls are made of cellulose, which humans can't process. So you'd get just about zero nutrition from leaves.

Regarding vegetarianism for health reasons, both a meat-inclusive/omnivoric and a vegetarian/vegan diet can be healthy. It all depends on what you eat and how much of it you eat. Vegetarians and vegans tend to have more deficiencies in vitamins/minerals/nutrients than meat-eaters, and meat-eaters tend to have more excesses. Some people prefer one diet over for various reasons, but both can be healthy, and it's usually easier to eat healthy with an omnivoric/meat-inclusive diet, as long as you know when to restrict yourself. See the following awesome posts I made in an older thread:
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=2854382&postcount=54
http://www.smashboards.com/showpost.php?p=2861782&postcount=62

Regarding whether dairy and meat and some vegetarian-derived foods result in harm to animals, I'd have to do more research to make a strong statement, but Livvers seemed to have covered it pretty well.

As for the moral issue, I think it's quite ambiguous. Where do you draw the line? If you are a vegan for moral reasons, and you don't believe in consuming anything where animals are involved, do you also not believe in taking any medication? Tylenol, diabetes medications, blood pressure meds, HIV meds, all were tested in animals. What if you are an epileptic vegan? Do you stop taking antiseizure meds? And where do you draw the line between which animals matter? Hundreds of thousands of insects were harmed, not only by pesticide use, but also by the process of harvesting the vegetables; yet, by definition vegans also do not believe in consuming honey. It becomes a battle of personal boundaries and where you draw your moral borders.

Anyway I think Livvers and some others have covered this pretty well, I might do a bit of research and post here again.

Also I'd like to take this time to note that Livvers's name appears to come from livers, a bodily organ that is sometimes eaten. Coincidence? I think not.

Livvers

Used to have a porpoise
BRoomer
I eat myself.

Also, Goldshadow <3

My friend who is vegan puts it this way: It's just about doing the least amount of damage as possible. Because unless you live up in a shack and grow your own food and disconnect yourself from people, something you use will have caused harm on an animal. Things live by hurting other things. It's life and what keeps things balanced.

And poaching isn't just sport. Some people poach because illegal animal skins can fetch you A LOT of money. Some of the people who poach do so because they are very poor.

Hydra.

Smash Lord
NNID
Aqua.Sword
Who knew they put Beef in Cheese soup, because I sure didn't...

Yeah.. I ruined my vegetarianism today, my grandma took me to a restraunt and I didn't want to buy this soup without trying it first because I had no idea what it tasted like, so I ate like two or three spoonfulls of this cheese soup and look in it and was like.. what is that? And I asked the lady if there was meat in it and she said there was little pieces of beef in it, and she was like, oh are you a vegetarian and i'm like yeah...

It was my fault for not asking what was in the soup in the first place but I didn't expect meat to be in cheese soup...

I felt kind of sick after that..It was just really disapointing that, that happened.

Scott!

Smash Lord
carnivore>herbivore
Really? Is that really necessary? This is a thread about vegetarianism, and while there are plenty of people who've come in and said that they enjoy eating meat for one reason or another, myself included, they at least haven't been putting down the vegetarians. It's a life choice, and I don't see why one should be seen as better than the other.

Hydra.

Smash Lord
NNID
Aqua.Sword
Really? Is that really necessary? This is a thread about vegetarianism, and while there are plenty of people who've come in and said that they enjoy eating meat for one reason or another, myself included, they at least haven't been putting down the vegetarians. It's a life choice, and I don't see why one should be seen as better than the other.
Plus it was a one liner, Had nothing to do with what we were talking about either. Don't worry I already reported that post, it was un-nessisary.

day-day

Smash Ace
I used to be a vegetarian when I was like 7 or 8. Didn't eat chicken or anything much to the dismay of my dad. I loved broccoli back then and still do. After awhile I guess it just wasn't a lifestyle for me so I slowly started eating meat again. Sometimes I do just eat a bunch of veggies if I get sick of what my mom cooks.

Synthe

Smash Journeyman
Yea about da post before, SORRY for disrespecting you all in anyway
maybe i just dont know how it is to be a vegetarian
Once again SORRY You All

Richie3341

Smash Rookie
I is a veggietarian. C: Its been a little over a year since i started. My mom, however, does not support my choice. :C She feels that she doesn't want to even try to cook any vegitarian friendly meals for me, so I decided to take the cooking class at my school(despite my fear of getting burned by an oven or stove). My mom and family still critisize me for being a vegitabletarian, does anyone lse have a problem similar to this?

Hive Mind

Smash Journeyman
I honestly don't get vegetarians and their lack of taste buds, but it doesn't really matter to me.

When we have dominance over every other species (according to us lol), diet's ambiguous and we can eat any (edible) thing we want, and free to choose a lifestyle that only includes plants.

But I really just don't get you guys at all.
Animals are just as natural as plants.
Just sayin'.

Hydra.

Smash Lord
NNID
Aqua.Sword
I honestly don't get vegetarians and their lack of taste buds, but it doesn't really matter to me.

When we have dominance over every other species (according to us lol), diet's ambiguous and we can eat any (edible) thing we want, and free to choose a lifestyle that only includes plants.

But I really just don't get you guys at all.
Animals are just as natural as plants.
Just sayin'.
It's weird how usually when you pull a leg off a chicken it dies, but when you pull parts off a plant it just grows back.

Anyways.. I don't have "lack of taste buds" at all, I know meat is good, it tastes great. But some people think the crys of agony as these animals die is just a little bit more important then our food preference.

Anyways, I think I'm not going to be vegetarian, it's just really hard with school, and being at my age, and swim team. I am however cutting back on meat a LOT, only eating the amount that is heathly.

Anyways, What is a healthy amount of meat per day, month ect?
Like what does a hotdog equal ? :dizzy:

Nø Ca$h

Smash Champion
im a vegan. no meat, no fish, no milk, no cheese.

it was pretty hard at first, and still is. i dont regret it though, imagine an egg. do u know what an egg is? its an aborted chicken fetus.

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
Yeah, what Livvers said. Store-bought eggs are not fertilized. The hens and roosters are generally kept apart from one another. Free range eggs might have a small chance of being fertilized, but generally speaking you have to specifically go looking for fertilized eggs if you want to eat them.

Hydra.

Smash Lord
NNID
Aqua.Sword
I would imagion a Vegan diet is alot less healthy then a vegetarians?
I have no idea, just guessing.

day-day

Smash Ace
What the hell is Vegan. I thought it was the same thing as Vegitarian
Vegan- A vegetarian who eats plant products only, especially one who uses no products derived from animals, as fur or leather.
Pretty much if it comes from an animal they're not going to use it.
EDIT: @ Aqua
In case you didn't look at the food pyramid the average daily amount of meat is 2-3 servings. Not too sure about hot dogs but Ed's assuming that they'll probably be with the meats

Hydra.

Smash Lord
NNID
Aqua.Sword
What the hell is Vegan. I thought it was the same thing as Vegitarian
No need to talk like that..

Anyways, Vegans don't eat meat or any dairy products, milk, cheese, ect.
Vegetarians just don't eat meat, but they do eat dairy products.

GoldShadow

Marsilea quadrifolia
BRoomer
Anyways, Vegans don't eat meat or any dairy products, milk, cheese, ect.
Vegetarians just don't eat meat, but they do eat dairy products.
Not quite.

Vegans don't eat any animal-related products. That includes, milk, eggs, honey, meat, fish, etc.

There are three main types of vegetarians. Lacto-ovo vegetarians avoid meat but eat eggs and dairy. Lacto vegetarians consume dairy but not eggs. Ovo vegetarians consume eggs but not dairy.

Top Bottom