• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Vectoring: The replacement to Directional Influence in Smash 4

Shadow the Past

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3711-8167-5215

Based on this hit, the optimal Hitstun Shuffle/ "VI" would be along the purple line as far as I can tell.
Technically the bottom left corner of the blue box is the optimal path because it sends you the shortest distance, whereas the purple path is a bit longer. I assume you're trying to aim for the corner of the blastzone because of how old DI worked, whereas that's no longer necssarily optimal when trying to fly the shortest possible distance.

Gardex

Smash Lord
NNID
Gardex
3DS FC
2707-1617-4394
@ Strong Badam Strong Badam Something to keep in mind:
As far as I've observed, SDI has been gimped in effectiveness(in addition to the lack of c-stick atm). If VI is based on amount of % you've already taken, then connecting combos in Smash 4 shouldn't be any harder because of VI when compared to good SDI in the previous games. You could basically teleport yourself outside of MK uair's horizontal range in Brawl or almost two character lengths away from Fox in Melee(Ice did this) when they hit you. I imagine the distance gained from the powerful SDI in earlier games is even greater than what VI lets you do during low-mid percentages(not talking about high-% combos).

Granted, this still doesn't apply to grab followups, where SDI was impossible, and it's also purely speculation as we're lacking information to be 100% certain about VI's properties.
It's also under the assumption that SDI+VI in Smash 4 isn't as effective as SDI alone in Melee, Brawl or 64.
(Which I could be wrong about, this is only to encourage more thinking so we don't jump to a hasty conclusion)

Last edited:

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
Everyone is so concerned with survival with this.

I'm surprised no one's looking into followups with this in mind. At least in this thread anyway.
This is a very good point. Rather than being pessimistic, we should probably look into the implications of this and what it's going to do, I.e. force combos to be shorter and more focused on being aggressive and punishing people on recovery.

LinkNIvy

Smash Apprentice
According to Strong Bad's graph, it's not averaging them. It's straight up addition.

If it averaged them, holding right when you get hit upwards would lower the distance you get launched upwards, which is not the case according to the graph.
Adding two vectors together produces a vector that's the average of them. That's part of what I'm confused on, cause I'm under the impression that a vector with a length of 100 added to a vector with a length of 20 going the opposite way would get a vector going the 100's way with a length of 60. I haven't done vector addition myself, but vector addition averages them.

Tagxy

Smash Lord
It wasnt subconcious, people were aware you could hold away from the blastzone and live longer, but werent sure why. So most analysis on game length had this in consideration to an extent.
Technically the bottom left corner of the blue box is the optimal path because it sends you the shortest distance, whereas the purple path is a bit longer. I assume you're trying to aim for the corner of the blastzone because of how old DI worked, whereas that's no longer necssarily optimal when trying to fly the shortest possible distance.
The goal is not to fly the shortest possible distance, its to stay away from the blastzone as long as possible. If the knockback on each path were extended a bit longer, the purple path would allow you to live the longest. Of course this was the point of the illustration, to show that its not just magnitude but also direction that matters.

Last edited:

Shadow the Past

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3711-8167-5215
Adding two vectors together produces a vector that's the average of them. That's part of what I'm confused on, cause I'm under the impression that a vector with a length of 100 added to a vector with a length of 20 going the opposite way would get a vector going the 100's way with a length of 60. I haven't done vector addition myself, but vector addition averages them.
Vector addition is not averaging them.

http://www.physicsclassroom.com/class/vectors/Lesson-1/Vector-Addition

Last edited:

TTTTTsd

NNID
InverseTangent
In the end though, this mechanic will have a major effect on the meta at first, but I feel like once people get used to it and develop the punish game, this has potential to be cool as hell. I think the negativity is absolutely ridiculous, as if vectoring gives you that much of a positional edge when you're still vulnerable in the air in what would more than likely be a fairly vulnerable position.

Again though I play and enjoy every Smash so what do I know?

Last edited:

Shadow the Past

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3711-8167-5215
IThe goal is not to fly the shortest possible distance, its to stay away from the blastzone as long as possible. If the knockback on each path were extended a bit longer, the purple path would allow you to live the longest. Of course this was the point of the illustration, to show that its not just magnitude but also direction that matters.
You've contradicted yourself. Flying the shortest possible distance is how to stay away from the blastzone as long as possible.

Tagxy

Smash Lord
You've contradicted yourself. Flying the shortest possible distance is how to stay away from the blastzone as long as possible.
This is incorrect. Some paths to the blastzone are longer than others, so you will also want to place yourself on the path that allows for the farthest distance needed to be travelled before reaching the blastzone. As shown in the illustration, the down-left input seemingly reaches the blastzone sooner than the "optimal" one.

Last edited:

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
@ Strong Badam Strong Badam Something to keep in mind:
As far as I've observed, SDI has been gimped in effectiveness(in addition to the lack of c-stick atm). If VI is based on amount of % you've already taken, then connecting combos in Smash 4 shouldn't be any harder because of VI when compared to good SDI in the previous games. You could basically teleport yourself outside of MK uair's horizontal range in Brawl or almost two character lengths away from Fox in Melee(Ice did this) when they hit you. I imagine the distance gained from the powerful SDI in earlier games is even greater than what VI lets you do during low-mid percentages(not talking about high-% combos).

Granted, this still doesn't apply to grab followups, where SDI was impossible, and it's also purely speculation as we're lacking information to be 100% certain about VI's properties.
It's also under the assumption that SDI+VI in Smash 4 isn't as effective as SDI alone in Melee, Brawl or 64.
(Which I could be wrong about, this is only to encourage more thinking so we don't jump to a hasty conclusion)
Well I don't have the full version available right now, but I do have the demo on two devices and from what I've tested, low percent tilt and air strings (Mario's throw -->tilt --> airs) still connects even when using the new DI mechanics upwards. To be honest it didn't seem to have much impact except for when they were in the 55-60+ range. As for increasing kill percentages, I don't think that it changes much anyways, as the people I play with are already in the habit of generally holding towards the stage when knocked up or to the sides. I honestly think that people have already been doing this in Smash 4 since the beginning and that people complaining about kill percentages are full of it.

TTTTTsd

NNID
InverseTangent
Well I don't have the full version available right now, but I do have the demo on two devices and from what I've tested, low percent tilt and air strings (Mario's throw -->tilt --> airs) still connects even when using the new DI mechanics upwards..
Okay nevermind my Mario practice is still fine. Thank you for testing this : D.

MadKraken

Smash Cadet
This is incorrect. Some paths to the blastzone are longer than others, so you will also want to place yourself on the path that allows for the farthest distance needed to be travelled before reaching the blastzone. As shown in the illustration, the down-left input seemingly reaches the blastzone sooner than the "optimal" one.
I sense multiple interpretations of my illustration.

The original intent was that the blue square represents is the FINAL DESTINATIONS of the player given various inputs.

Shadow the Past

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3711-8167-5215
@ Strong Badam Strong Badam One question I'd like answered about VI: Is the "box" of possible VI positions relative to the stage (i.e. it's always a flat box) or is it relative to the angle of your flight path?

Examples:

When you're launched vertically, the box of possible VI positions is obviously like how it is on the left. However, when launched at an angle, this gets confusing. Would the box of possible VI positions be like in the middle (same as the vertical box) or is it angled like the angle of your launch trajectory, in the right picture? I'm inclined to believe it's the right, based on your Jigglypuff tests.

Last edited:

Espyo

Smash Apprentice
It's kinda weird when Joe Simpleton here (me) understands these concepts perfectly and all of the big bad ultra-tech guys can't grasp them.

DI from pre-Smash 4 allows you change the direction and just the direction of the knockback. Hence Directional Influence. This new mechanic allows you to influence everything about the knockback. Hence it not being the same thing. You can change the direction, but also the strength. Technically, it's what people said before, but effectively, it just means "change the knockback to what you want" (up to a limit).

Anyway... I asked if it was possible to use this new mechanic AFTER being launched, but still got no reply...

MadKraken

Smash Cadet
@ Strong Badam Strong Badam One question I'd like answered about VI: Is the "box" of possible VI positions relative to the stage (i.e. it's always a flat box) or is it relative to the angle of your flight path?

Examples:

When you're launched vertically, the box of possible VI positions is obviously like how it is on the left. However, when launched at an angle, this gets confusing. Would the box of possible VI positions be like in the middle (same as the vertical box) or is it angled like the angle of your launch trajectory, in the right picture? I'm inclined to believe it's the right, based on your Jigglypuff tests.
The former angled option is correct. That box is unchanging, save for size relative to knockback.

C-SAF

Smash Journeyman
Anyone think this change in DI to VI has anything to do with the simplistic controls a handheld 3DS? Because Im starting to get tired of hearing changes to Smash because it is also on the 3DS this time. (RIP Icys)

Shadow the Past

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3711-8167-5215
In your illustration, your direction leads to a flight path that moves you closer to the right-side blast zone, which is bad. I think you're trying to do something with making a hypotenuse to the corner, which is simply not how VI works. You're no longer trying to make a hypotenuse, you're trying to make the shortest possible flight path.

I'm also inclined to believe the illustration in general doesn't represent diagonal launch VI correctly anyway, based on my previous post.

Last edited:

Gardex

Smash Lord
NNID
Gardex
3DS FC
2707-1617-4394
Anyone think this change in DI to VI has anything to do with the simplistic controls a handheld 3DS? Because Im starting to get tired of hearing changes to Smash because it is also on the 3DS this time. (RIP Icys)
It really has nothing to do with the 3DS as both VI and DI use the exact same control interface(the control stick/circle pad)

Tagxy

Smash Lord
In your illustration, your direction leads to a flight path that moves you closer to the right-side blast zone, which is bad. I think you're trying to do something with making a hypotenuse to the corner, which is simply not how VI works. You're no longer trying to make a hypotenuse, you're trying to make the shortest possible flight path.

I'm also inclined to believe the illustration in general doesn't represent diagonal launch VI correctly anyway, based on my previous post.
Sort of. The purple path in essence makes the blastzone to the right longer. Heres more illustration of this.

As you can see the corner DI makes the horizontal blastzone, in a sense, shorter than the purple path.
I sense multiple interpretations of my illustration.

The original intent was that the blue square represents is the FINAL DESTINATIONS of the player given various inputs.
Yes, this is how Ive interpreted it. My point is that the most important length is not from the player to their final destination, but from their final destination to their potential interaction with the blastzone. The latter is more important than the former when determining an input.

Last edited:

C-SAF

Smash Journeyman
It really has nothing to do with the 3DS as both VI and DI use the exact same control interface(the control stick/circle pad)
Yeah but the little control pad is hard enough to put move inputs in. If I understand VI correctly, you don't hold the direction you want to do go the whole time your in the air, only on the initial smash to mitigate the knockback. This would make the amount the control pad is used less for 3DS users (This all assuming most people who own a 3DS haven't bought one with a C-stick on it yet)

Gardex

Smash Lord
NNID
Gardex
3DS FC
2707-1617-4394
Yeah but the little control pad is hard enough to put move inputs in. If I understand VI correctly, you don't hold the direction you want to do go the whole time your in the air, only on the initial smash to mitigate the knockback. This would make the amount the control pad is used less for 3DS users (This all assuming most people who own a 3DS haven't bought one with a C-stick on it yet)
You only need to hold the control stick the desired direction at the start of your knockback to DI as well, not the entire time. So it's really the same duration/technique(but different mechanic and effect, obviously). You don't hold the direction you want to go the whole time you're in the air for either VI or DI.
It's not hard to hold a direction, which is all you really need to do. Doubt the 3DS has anything to do with it.

Most likely it's simply for the sake of being more intuitive

If you want to start talking about momentum canceling, which isn't as effective as in brawl nor related to VI or DI, THEN the drifting/fastfalling you have to do afterwards might become more difficult on the 3DS, but this has nothing to do with VI/DI

Last edited:

Muro

Smash Lord
Sort of. The purple path in essence makes the blastzone to the right longer. Heres more illustration of this.

As you can see the corner DI makes the horizontal blastzone, in a sense, shorter than the purple path.

Yes, this is how Ive interpreted it. My point is that the most important length is not from the player to their final destination, but from their final destination to their potential interaction with the blastzone. The latter is more important than the former when determining an input.
purple here is not optimal. When compared with the red line that leads to the lower left corner of the blue box, It's the same distance from the top while being closer to the right side of blast zone. So while it's the same as far as getting KO'd from the top, it's worse horizontally.

you might have a point if you said ending up at the intersection between the left side of the blue square and the top of the blast zone would be better, since you have a bit more leeway for recovery, but that's a very risky thing to do for not much of a reward.

Last edited:

Praxis

Smash Hero
BRoomer
@ Strong Badam Strong Badam , hopefully this hasn't been asked already, but have you been able to figure out anything of the basis for the amount of vectoring you can apply?

Using made up numbers, in your example you get hit by 100 knock-back-units (KBU) and vector 20 (up, down, left, or right). If you got hit by 50 KBU, would you still be able to add/subtract 20 KBU? Or is it a percentage? (get hit by 50, add/subtract 10)

If it's a set number, that means you have HUGE influence over weak hits (for example, hold up on Mario utilt and go way too far for followup, hold down and go nowhere). If it's a percentage it might not be enough to get people out of combos.

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
I dunno if this has already been asked since this thread got huge in so little time, but does VI also affect meteors?

TTTTTsd

NNID
InverseTangent
It's been confirmed to be a percentage. 20 was just the number used for the sample, but if you try and VI out of low percent Utilt strings(test with Mario) it won't work as well. This really only changes mid to high percent combos.

C-SAF

Smash Journeyman
You only need to hold the control stick the desired direction at the start of your knockback to DI as well, not the entire time. So it's really the same duration/technique(but different mechanic and effect, obviously). You don't hold the direction you want to go the whole time you're in the air for either VI or DI.
It's not hard to hold a direction, which is all you really need to do. Doubt the 3DS has anything to do with it.

Most likely it's simply for the sake of being more intuitive

If you want to start talking about momentum canceling, which isn't as effective as in brawl nor related to VI or DI, THEN the drifting/fastfalling you have to do afterwards might become more difficult on the 3DS, but this has nothing to do with VI/DI
I always felt DI was rather intuitive. I'm disappointed they changed a mechanic just for the sake of changing it. I still feel like the 3DS has something to do with it though.

Ghoti

Smash Cadet
I like VI more than DI for certain reasons:

1. The person being attacked now has more influence on his/her direction
  2. The person attacking might not always know where his/her opponent will end up.
And these two are because VI is within an area, opposed to DI which is a parabola.

At this point, I don't think any solid evidence was provided to prove that low % combos would seriously suffer from VI.

I will be using @ MadKraken MadKraken 's image because it works well.

So, Person 1 is doing an FSmash hitting Person 2, which sends him out at about 45°.

So, Person 2, to survive, should move the analog stick / circle pad down and left to survive, as shown in the image.

Now, it's not just about avoiding a KO, because there are more uses:

I'll use the image by @Krynxe

With the ability to change your direction, it could possibly be used to play mind games with your opponents.

I'll use the image by @<3 (I couldn't tag properly on mobile, sorry)

Now with VI, you can determine your destination, which can really create mind games.

Now people performing attacks will have to guess where the opponent will end up.

It may end up being a very good change.

TTTTTsd

NNID
InverseTangent
This also means moves with big hitboxes that may have been previously useless or slow could definitely benefit from being able to cover certain VI options. Really it's such a young mechanic and the general reaction has been incredibly overblown.

ChillySundance

Smash Apprentice
If it was a set amount, I think people would be easily slipping out of jab combos much more than they currently are. Multi hit moves actually do what they're intended to do in this game, unlike Brawl/Melee where they were extremely vulnerable to being invalidated by DI. Little Mac's jab for instance is incredibly sticky, even if the player mashes it for a while. You can bet most opponents hold away from him when he starts doing that.

TTTTTsd

NNID
InverseTangent
The way it works now basically accounts for minimum as you state it, as it barely has any effect on lower KB numbers. For instance, it would likely take Mario's Uptilt at around 56+ percent for VI to escape a string. The lower the KB, the less VI can be applied.

ChillySundance

Smash Apprentice
Unfortunately it's hard to test this because, well, you can't just plug in a second controller :/

A common small 'combo' I see used a lot lately is Dedede's down throw into either Fair or Nair. I would like to see if this can be escaped with DI/Vectoring at low %. This combo was being nailed consistently on Zero's stream, even at mid percents against skilled opponents.

Gawain

Smash Lord
NNID
Gawain
3DS FC
5069-4113-9796
If it's a set number, that means you have HUGE influence over weak hits (for example, hold up on Mario utilt and go way too far for followup, hold down and go nowhere). If it's a percentage it might not be enough to get people out of combos.
I have tested this and it seems to be the case that you have far less influence over weaker hits. You can't get out of Mario's utilt string at lower percents with it, I've tested and I can confirm that.

shininimuss

Smash Apprentice
NNID
shininimus
That is against a CPU. Plus I have tried stuff like that against a level 9 Mario CPU many times and he escapes some of my combos if I start from 0 percent... :ohwell:
It only works on link in the demo, i do that combo all the time.

Last edited:

Bladeviper

Smash Ace
NNID
Bladeviper
Unfortunately it's hard to test this because, well, you can't just plug in a second controller :/

A common small 'combo' I see used a lot lately is Dedede's down throw into either Fair or Nair. I would like to see if this can be escaped with DI/Vectoring at low %. This combo was being nailed consistently on Zero's stream, even at mid percents against skilled opponents.
i think it should still work at low % since it scales with how much knockback you are suffering, the lower the knockback the lower the vectoring effects it

d z

Smash Cadet

Yes but because of how vectoring works this is no longer optimal. In melee yes the purple trajectory would be the best one because it would allow you to survive the same hit at higher knockback than the red one, but in smash4 the purple line is subotimal because you are not decreasing your distance traveled by as much as you could.

Last edited:
Top Bottom