• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Various Matchup Analysis and Thoughts

Bees!

Smash Ace
I guess its like retreating fAirs. I just have to punish it faster. I can punish grounded SL really easily and nado as well. but like fAir >_> I will practice it more.

Mister Eric

Twitch.tv/MisterbeepEric Twitter: @MisterbeepEric
NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
Yeah, it just takes practice. The timing comes with it.

I just need a MK in my area =/
but wait...maybe that's both a good and bad thing xD

Bees!

Smash Ace
We have 3 now one secondaries MK. But they all live like 2-3 hours away and don't/can't come down to Where I live now(and I get to face them in tourney like once every 6 months. Come to think of it there aren't any smashers in Pueblo. I am the Pueblo Smash scene. lol

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
I think it would be beeptastic if one region had nothing but ROB mains in it! :3

I think I should pack up and head to Pueblo ^_^

Bees!

Smash Ace
That would be awesome! My roommate plays smash but he is more into melee. Which is cool because me and him are trying to get good at meree.

Mister Eric

NNID
MisterEric
3DS FC
1075-1236-8207
I could definitely use a change in scenery xD
but if all robs were in one spot...there'd be beepgasmic hugglefests everywhere!

Bees!

Smash Ace
totally! I could see that happening. I learned when I met Sudai that ROB mains hug lol

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
LoL if people complain on Meta Knight they seriously suck. Meta Knight mainers have no rights to complain about anything in this game LoL.

Bees!

Smash Ace
same. One of our MK mains used to complain about everything. He would get mad when I camped with ROB and flew under the stage to the other side. He would complain about how cheap everything is. Which was ironic because he mains a character that still has a gross advantage over the majority of the cast even when other characters play their gayest and cheapest.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Seriously, ccst, you said I can't whine and say Zss has a slow dsmash because I main MK. I give you a protip, MK's dsmash is ****ing unsafe on shield and Zss dsmash is too ****ing slow to hit anyone reliably.
Also, I was just telling some pure framedata. Rob's dsmash has a hitbox from 4 frames, Mk has it from 5. Where is your god now?

sneakytako

Smash Lord
Not true. To punish MK's dsmash off shield, you need a pretty good OoS option. The knockback on shield of his dsmash makes it safe against most of the cast, with a giant exception of people with good OoS options like falco's dacus. I would say the only way rob can punish dsmash off shield is maybe a ftlit or glidetoss, which probably isn't guaranteed based on distance. And not only that, but if the MK decides to spam dsmash, we probably lose if we try to counter attack based on the fact the MK's priority is ********.

Zss's dsmash is pretty easy to land, especially since it has such a huge hitbox and it lingers. With a mix of great quick/slow options, her dsmash makes a great mindgame/spacing tool.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Falco can Fsmas MK's Dsmash OoS before he can do anything. And that is a pretty crappy OoS move.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Also, I was just telling some pure framedata. Rob's dsmash has a hitbox from 4 frames, Mk has it from 5. Where is your god now?
If it helps at all, R.O.B. does have the fastest Dsmash in the game, tied with Zelda. Unlike Zelda, his smash hits both sides simultaneously. Does that mean R.O.B. has the safest Dsmash as well, or just plain fast? Maybe both?

TeeVee

Smash Lord
If it helps at all, R.O.B. does have the fastest Dsmash in the game, tied with Zelda. Unlike Zelda, his smash hits both sides simultaneously. Does that mean R.O.B. has the safest Dsmash as well, or just plain fast? Maybe both?
its not safest at all considering its cooldown is long as ****. its a good option OOS and its good for when people are landing since it covers both sides but its not safe on shield at ALL.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
dsmash almost never pokes x.x most of the time they just drop their shield too early. lol I get lucky with people dropping their shields on the last bit of my dsmash a lot >.> yay for other people not knowing the ROB mu

ccst

Smash Ace
Switch FC
4825-3626-0014
same. One of our MK mains used to complain about everything. He would get mad when I camped with ROB and flew under the stage to the other side. He would complain about how cheap everything is. Which was ironic because he mains a character that still has a gross advantage over the majority of the cast even when other characters play their gayest and cheapest.
LoL agreed.
Also -LzR-, you mad?

Zwarm

Smash Hero
I hate using d-smash on shield, it's always an accident too. It's so unsafe, Zelda can get a lightning kick on him before he can do anything. Even Ganon can get a d-smash, or even a f-tilt if buffered correctly. It's a pain. I find low tiers punishing my d-smash's better than people who play higher tiers. :p

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
I never found trouble with my Dsmash. I usually use it as an "emergency button" of sorts, or if my opponent tries to roll back and forth, alternating between going behind me and in front of me in an attempt to play mindgames. For the latter, the Dsmash is a good punisher for excessive rollers and spot dodgers. I can't really recall ever being punished for it. I assumed R.O.B. had the safest Dsmash in Brawl. I may be very well wrong. XD

TeeVee

Smash Lord
dsmash almost never pokes x.x most of the time they just drop their shield too early. lol I get lucky with people dropping their shields on the last bit of my dsmash a lot >.> yay for other people not knowing the ROB mu
doesnt happen vs top players ever :[

happens all the time on wifi though which makes me happy i guess lol

stingers

Smash Obsessed
no it happened against tearbear when I played him @ mlg. but that might've been the TVs more than anything lol

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I just want ccst to prove his arguments with something. I don't want him to sound noobish. He just really should shut up about MK and Snake and Dedede and everything he loses to and start learning the game he is playing. And instead of whining, he could actually tell us what is really the problem instead of using the word cheap, which doesn't even mean anything.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
Clearly, "cheap" is a word people use for tactics they can't figure a way around of. If one finds an opponent's tactic(s) "cheap", then go into Training Mode with said opponent and have him/her spam whatever tactic they're using. Play the s*** out of it until you finally figured some way around it. For some match-ups, it seems easier said than done, but every match-up - including MK vs. R.O.B. - has some cracks that can be exploited... it's just some match-ups have less cracks (MK vs. R.O.B., DK vs. Dedede) than others. >ω<

Zwarm

Smash Hero
Actually, DK vs. D3 is pretty close to even on neutral stages, it's the banned infinite or wall infinites/walk-offs that makes it bad, but I agree, there's ways around everything in this game.

TeeVee

Smash Lord
just about EVERY region has d3s standing infinite banned....well at least in the states thats how it is

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
just about EVERY region has d3s standing infinite banned....well at least in the states thats how it is
I hear that too, though I also hear that banning it isn't enforced in MLG (not sure about that one though) and isn't condoned by the Brawl Back Room. Honestly, I don't believe it should be banned, as it makes Dedede a great counter to Donkey Kong, Samus, Mario, and Luigi, thus making him a viable main/sub-main. That's just me though. :3

Zwarm

Smash Hero
I wish it wasn't banned, Dedede's my secondary. The small step's legal sometimes, but he only has that on DK and Bowser. If it was legal, it would make him a viable counter for a lot more than just those 4, he has standing infinites on people off the ledge, including on himself.

Claire Diviner

President
NNID
ClaireDiviner
I wish it wasn't banned, Dedede's my secondary. The small step's legal sometimes, but he only has that on DK and Bowser. If it was legal, it would make him a viable counter for a lot more than just those 4, he has standing infinites on people off the ledge, including on himself.
He's one of my secondaries also. To be honest, I'm not sure why they banned it. On the grounds that it gives him favorable match-ups against several characters? "Blah!", I say. Oh well, we can still make use of his other utilities, right?

-LzR-

Smash Hero
IMO banning it is artificially nerfing Dedede and buffing those chars who are able to be infinited. I will never ban it on my tourneys. DK mains need a secondary nuff said.

Top Bottom