• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Utah Thread - Dead thread is dead

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
Devon you're not helping the brawl players' case by posting just to flame. It makes perfect sense to have pm in between Melee and brawl. You're about the only person in the scene that benefits from this particular schedule as you are the only one who has put significant time into both Melee and brawl but won't touch pm. That's the only situation where having brawl in the middle wins out, any other logic points to having either pm or Melee in the middle.

Also, to everyone else. There are still plenty of brawl players, and most of us have been around longer than the newish Melee/pm scene that's growing. Besides the tourney where brawl was last/starting after 7 pm, brawl gets plenty of entrants on a regular basis. The problem is that so many of these newer people post so frequently and often with very little substance that it has become a bit of a drag to keep up with the Utah boards, especially for those not particularly interested in Melee. Not to discourage new players from posting, just stating that most posts now-a-days are nothing more than spam and trash talk.

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
My current reasoning for putting PM first is that it has been the largest tournament in the past, and I would rather get it out of the way sooner than later (would rather 10 guys for Brawl be around late night then 30+ for PM).
Melee being last goes against this, since Melee ends quickly (past tournaments that Tsuteto has ran has Melee spanning less time than Brawl despite having more players). So in putting Melee last, you just made a bunch of people have to stay late to wait for Brawl to finish.
But yeah, P:M should always be the game in the middle, since it's the hybrid of the two (it's more like Melee, but it's still a hybrid) that attracts players from both games. No point in make either party wait during a huge gap just to play two games.

bellsworth46

Smash Journeyman
Melee being last goes against this, since Melee ends quickly (past tournaments that Tsuteto has ran has Melee spanning less time than Brawl despite having more players). So in putting Melee last, you just made a bunch of people have to stay late to wait for Brawl to finish.
But yeah, P:M should always be the game in the middle, since it's the hybrid of the two (it's more like Melee, but it's still a hybrid) that attracts players from both games. No point in make either party wait during a huge gap just to play two games.
Makes sense. I won't be changing the schedule for this one, but will probably follow this advice (as most are saying it) for the next tournament.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
As a former ****ty TO, my opinion would be to go: Melee > PM > Brawl.

Makes the most sense considering the scene.

Death Arcana

Rum is for Drinking
3DS FC
3179-6169-5116
Devon you're not helping the brawl players' case by posting just to flame. It makes perfect sense to have pm in between Melee and brawl. You're about the only person in the scene that benefits from this particular schedule as you are the only one who has put significant time into both Melee and brawl but won't touch pm. That's the only situation where having brawl in the middle wins out, any other logic points to having either pm or Melee in the middle.
who the **** was i flaming???
pumpinz?? lol me and him alone go at it firing shots at eachother no one else
you know im usually the first one there and last one out generally so i benefit regardless of the schedule so idk what you mean
what i do know is our good brawl players are spread out so like you and mars, so brawl being last or in the middle will help you guys out even just little (start time 2-4pm? even mars can make that lol) which i don't see a problem with

tbh i might not make brawl tomorrow (work till 4pm)
no disrespect to you or anybody cept pumpinz
but i just want all you guys to come out for it, way more fun to watch 2 great brawl players making hard reads and baits then to watch pc,yaz,me,you,net12 four stock people

Holy **** guys I just realized something.

Z'z calm down nintendo will send villager out to get you if you leak anymore
tsuteto's next tourney is for you @Jekyll
EA | Death Lets go in man

@ Ken Neth Ken Neth
your avi reminded to ask you
do you know the date marco makes his return?
all these new people don't know The @Dark Ryu

Last edited:

Baky

Smash Journeyman
The problem is that so many of these newer people post so frequently and often with very little substance that it has become a bit of a drag to keep up with the Utah boards.
I wouldn't say its just the new people posting so frequently. It's everyone, new and old.

Regardless I honestly follow this thread less and less for the same reasons as you. I have to sift through 3 pages of "u wot m8" and "get reckt scrub mm me" to find out any useful info. I didn't even know the Neumont tourney was happening until two days ago.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
There are literally like 3 oldschool people (and by oldschool I mean only like a year old or older lol) who post any more than once a page or two anymore. Its like PC, Tsu, and Devon (and I guess me as well), with the random comment/question/etc from someone else here or there. I guarantee you if you go back in this thread to a year ago, it'll look like an almost entirely different scene.

Last edited:

Death Arcana

Rum is for Drinking
3DS FC
3179-6169-5116
this is our general discussion, i guess thats how it is but
PC used to run a thread way back in the day which was our "strictly business" thread for tourney info and pr rankings
maybe you should tell people to post tourney info in your thread, thats helps tsu find it easier as well

There are literally like 3 oldschool people (and by oldschool I mean only like a year old or older lol) who post any more than once a page or two anymore. Its like PC, Tsu, and Devon (and I guess me as well), with the random comment/question/etc from someone else here or there. I guarantee you if you go back in this thread to a year ago, it'll look like an almost entirely different scene.
right in the feels

Last edited:

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
I don't count. :(

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
I dont know if Im really considered old in the scene yet, or at least I dont feel like I should be. Im definitely on the older half due to the ridiculous amount of newcomers we've had as of late, but still.

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
Yeah Marco will be getting home right before thanksgiving. They haven't given him an exact date yet. Can't wait to have my controllers drenched with his sweat again.

I'm actually leaving for California in like two hours. It sucks that I'll be missing the two tourneys I really wish I could make, but I guess I can't really complain.

Tane

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2122-6733-6416
I just want some ****ing brawl doubles. Is that too much to ask? :(

Prophetic Tane is prophetic: Just wait. Once people realize just how ****ing sick brawl dubz are, it will be in almost every tourney.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
I'm pretty sure i have over a thousand posts in this thread :(

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
I just want some ****ing brawl doubles. Is that too much to ask? :(

Prophetic Tane is prophetic: Just wait. Once people realize just how ****ing sick brawl dubz are, it will be in almost every tourney.
Brawl doubles is like the only form of Brawl I'll be willing to play, actually. XD I just like doubles in general; too bad most of the scene doesn't...
I'm pretty sure i have over a thousand posts in this thread :(
You have over 1000 posts in every thread! XD

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Don't want to get into a Brawl vs melee debate but I feel like its very hard for new players to feel motivated to stick around for Brawl because of the skill level being considerably higher.

Like some tournaments you have to go through Devon, Samson, Kenny, Yaz, me, Ebo, Chris, Kev. You go 0-2 really quick and its like "well what's the point"

Whereas in melee a new player might have a more enjoyable experience because there's a ton of scrubs mashing their face on the controller so he can just Monkey see monkey do.

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
Break the tournaments in to two sections. Amateur and all skill.

New Mexico's amateur tournament has 70 entrants today.

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
Looks like my plans for today probably got canceled due to something I had forgotten. If I had remembered the details earlier, I probably would have went to the tournament. :(

nqztv

Smash Journeyman
hmmm, seems like a lot of people couldn't make it out to neumont today. any reports from those who made it on how it went and who placed in each tourney?

Baky

Smash Journeyman
Brawl doubles is very entertaining. I personally can't watch Brawl singles these days but I'd pick Brawl doubles over Melee doubles anyday.

Last edited:

adlp

Crewnaria
NNID
adlpsfko
Switch FC
SW 2193-3260-2448
Brawl doubles is very entertaining. I personally can't watch Brawl singles these days but I'd pick Brawl doubles over Melee doubles anyday.
im with you on this

hell i choose brawl dubs over PM dubs. and next time im up north for a tourney i'll enter into brawl so yall have someone new to play

nqztv

Smash Journeyman
so i was told that one of the vids i uploaded from the brawl tourney at the provo game den weekly was cut short. i was also told that downloading the vids is a problem for some since they lack the hdd space. so i uploaded *all* the recordings from the brawl tourney onto youtube.

i uploaded them in a format which will let you view them in 60 fps on youtube, so they will be playing at half speed if you view them straight on youtube. be sure to request to use youtube's html 5 player (or use a browser plugin that can set it for you ;-)) and set the speed to 2 so you can watch the matches at normal speed in 60 fps.

oh, and some of the videos (especially the earlier ones) have audio desync issues. i'm not going to fix it since that would require me to manually go through each video and determine the audio offset. sorry about that. just mute the sound and put on some background music and pretend it's a combo video ;-). i'll try to make sure that doesn't happen in the future. if you have any other comments, suggestions, or critiques on the way i record/upload the videos, let me know!

@ Baky Baky any updates on initial rankings/ratings now that we have results from every game?

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
So for all you nublets that didnt see this post of just ignored it, here it is again, and this time Ill actually, you know, say something about it since I dont think anybody actually understands what this is.
This **** right here, does effectively what Wavedashing did in Melee, gave a backward/forward dash that allows the use of moves during and after said dash, just look at the visual similarities. It's obviously not as spamable and not the best overall mobility option (running will still most definitely be the best choice to get from poit A to point B and such), but this definitely allows for more options. More info for all you nubs who want more: http://smashboards.com/threads/smas...-turndashing-a-new-movement-technique.361665/

Last edited:

Steezy22

Smash Cadet
Brawl doubles is like the only form of Brawl I'll be willing to play, actually. XD I just like doubles in general; too bad most of the scene doesn't...
You have over 1000 posts in every thread! XD
The scene is slowly starting to warm up to doubles! Soon it will be at tournaments if we keep requesting it.

Pumpinz

Smash Journeyman

Also, to everyone else. There are still plenty of brawl players, and most of us have been around longer than the newish Melee/pm scene that's growing. Besides the tourney where brawl was last/starting after 7 pm, brawl gets plenty of entrants on a regular basis. The problem is that so many of these newer people post so frequently and often with very little substance that it has become a bit of a drag to keep up with the Utah boards, especially for those not particularly interested in Melee. Not to discourage new players from posting, just stating that most posts now-a-days are nothing more than spam and trash talk.
This is why i feel like we need a utah smash facebook page that is maintained and has all upcoming events. It will help new people with discovering the scene and it wont get clogged up with Devon hustling for money matches.

Tacblack

Smash Apprentice
Ggs to everyone. Good tourney. Shoutouts to @ Pumpinz Pumpinz and @net1234 's Fox and antishoutouts to Chen Chans or whatever the **** that fast food joint is called. If you want to eat garbage, then that's your place.

bellsworth46

Smash Journeyman
Once again, thanks to everyone that showed up and participated. If you have any thoughts about how it went (likes, dislikes, improvement ideas, etc.) let me know (and no, Devon, I am not dropping PM).

Top Bottom