• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Utah Thread - Dead thread is dead

BBQdPickles

Smash Cadet
I've got a melee setup in my room. Not enough to host a fest, but if anyone wants to come over and play some melee in my overly weeb messy room I'm just gonna be here watching starcraft all night.

865 N 500 W #3 Provo btw
I would come, Tuesday, but we're kinda watching over some kids... but I also have a melee set-up so you can come on over to play. feel free to text me (or anyone else who's interested): 801-750-0744

Superw0rri0

Smash Ace
I had to leave a little early but thanks for the tournament Chris! Even though I raged a bit, I still enjoyed meeting everyone and had a blast playing with you guys even though I repeatedly got my ass handed to me in melee XD.

Make sure to come to the nuemont tournament! Info can be find in the OP...

ALSO I WOULD APPRECIATE IT IF YOU GUYS COULD SPREAD THE WORD AND TRY TO GET AS MANY PEOPLE TO COME WITH YOU!!!

Thanks

Staz

Smash Lord
hey guys! long time i've been on smashboards, thanks for all who came to the tournament I honestly had a great time! I can't remember I had so much with smash! gj and thanks for everything! hope we can host another one soon in the near future! ily<3

Superw0rri0

Smash Ace
hey guys! long time i've been on smashboards, thanks for all who came to the tournament I honestly had a great time! I can't remember I had so much with smash! gj and thanks for everything! hope we can host another one soon in the near future! ily<3

If by near future you mean next week.... we got a melee and brawl tourney next Saturday at Neumont University... you can find the info in the OP

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
He's talking about "hosting another" tournament at his house soon ;p although he definitely should come to the one next Saturday.

Tomacawk

Smash Master
brawl singles was
1. kenny
2. i see
3. x

brawl teams was
1. x + lada
2. kenny + devon
3. i see + ??? i think

melee had 14 entrants and x, lada, and rockmix all forfeit in loser's because the tourny went very late
1. tomacawk
2. jekyll
3. tuesday

for whatever reason not really feeling doing a huge shoutout list
so shoutouts to all who attended
a lot of you guys have big melee potential, hope the scene gets more active in the future
shoutouts to :foxmelee:

I See

Smash Apprentice
Thank you lots Chris for hosting! This tourney was just as hype as you promised it would be!

Tomacawk

Smash Master
"because the tourny went very late" not to be construed as a negative review
brawl doubles was hype and you were an accommodating host x

i'll come to the next one whenever you host it
also it was pretty cool to meet your siblings. and shoutouts to your cat!!

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
He's full listings for Brawl Singles and Brawl Doubles:

Super Smash Bros Brawl Singles
1: Kenny
2: Isee
3: X
4: Ebo
5: Staz
5: Lada
7: Charity
7: BBQdPickles
9: Death
9: Ben
9: Spudz
9: Karl
13: Berd
13: Wackbot
13: Pwny
13: Tsuteto
17: Zed
17: Faithful
17: Tuesday
17: Shiro
17: Proboner
17: BlurB
17: Steel
17: Zeros
25: Mario
25: Jarrett
25: JEW
25: JENK
25: SuperWario
25: Gabriel
25: Black Boy
Bracket = http://imageshack.com/i/1fiuaqp

Super Smash Bros Brawl Doubles
1: Sir Pansies of Weepalot (Kev + Chris)
2: free g kirbs (ken + dscrub)
3: Young Samson (Ebo + Isee)
4: Proboners (Staz + Proboner)
5: Bottom Tier (Anonano + Ben)
5: Team Metaknight (Shiro + Wack Bot)
7: Sparkles n' Hearts (Tsu + Charity)
7: Super sonic butt fisting (Tane + Rockmix)
9: Zeros/Pwny (Zeros/Pwny)
9: The Midnight 50 (Ty + Steve)
9: The Swordsmen (Tobuscus + Ike)
9: Jeesh (Braden + Montana)
13: Red&Blue (Chain + Blurb)
Bracket - http://imageshack.com/i/0j2vkpp

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
Yeah thanks for hosting, Chris. I had a blast. And ggs to everyone I played. And for the melee players, I'm going to start playing again. I'm glad I decided to enter anyways, even though switching between games mid tourney isn't very practical.

___X___

Smash Lord
Hey guys, just wanted to say thanks for all of you that came out, and thanks for letting me be your guys' tourney host. I hope you all enjoyed it as much as I enjoyed hosting! I cannot thank you guys enough!! gg's to everyone that I play. No joke, Utah is actually picking up their slack, and getting better. Something I thought would never happen, honestly! Haha! But good job all. A million thanks. If you guys bother me enough to host another tournament, I would highly consider it soon. It just really depends when you guys are and aren't free. So I'll most likely host a tournament as soon as you guys start telling me to. Other than that, I don't really plan on hosting anything in the near future. But again, and for the last time, thank you.

EDIT! Nothing went missing, right? I did a pretty good job in making sure everyone's stuff was always safe, and that they left with whatever they brought. But if for some reason you're missing ANYTHING, feel free to contact me. So far I can't find anything that does not belong to me or my roommates. So it's all spotless! I'm so glad you guys were an honest group, and that I have friends that I can trust to have in my own home. Also to the Utah Smash Scene, thank you for respecting my home, as well as me and my family members and roommates. It meant a lot, really. I like you guys that much more. Thank you!!!

Tuesday

Smash Ace
Yo shoutout to Chris for being a BOMB host. That tournament was fun. DESPITE LOSING THE RAFFLE GREATEST SHAME OF MY LIFE.

Shoutouts also to:

Lada, since he was in losers finals of melee he really had a guaranteed 3rd place or higher, but unfortunately left. Thought that should get some recognition.

Tsuteto and Ebo, who got some tough bracket shenanigans but still had some ballin sets. Keep it real.

Jekyll, HOLY COW THAT SET WITH KENNY WAS SIIIIIICK. Keep Luigi mean.

Kenny, coming back to melee. Word.

Ano, THAT 2V1 IN DOUBLES WTFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

Tomacawk, grats on winning. We should play more.

Those little tykes playing hide-and-seek, GGs those were some sick nasty hiding spots and pro reads on the seekers. Mean and clean.

Everyone else I played and talked to, GGs and warm fuzzies all around. Great times with great people.

Special shoutouts to Rocky, Devon, and Wackbot for chilling with me and actin fools with me until the wee hours. Also, wicked sorry about that burrito ;~; RIP in peace.

___X___

Smash Lord
Those "little tykes" were my little brothers, Ian and Randy playing with Cherry's little sister, Faith.
They get their skills from their older bros;) glad you guys thought of them of more of an entertainment rather than an annoyance. I love them!!

EDIT: Did any of you guys enjoy the complimentary chips and salsa? The salsa was made by my girlfriend, and personally I think it's the best salsa I've ever had. Did you guys like it? I would really love to hear your opinion of her salsa, and if you really do love it, would you guys be interested in buying a jar or so? It would mean the WORLD to her if anyone were to purchase any of her salsa, let alone just get a compliment. So just when you can be sure to give thanks to her for taking the time to make it for everyone at the tournament! She also bought the 3 bags of chips. Not asking you to say it was godlike or anything, just an honest opinion. Thank you:)

DOUBLE EDIT: Also, how did you guys enjoy the raffle?!!?!? Feed back please!!

Tomacawk

Smash Master
well the raffle prizes were mostly for things that I don't need (free pizza gift card or w/e, xbox games) but the raffle hype was ****in real so +support on that

also thank you to tsuteto for running the brawl bracket and bringing all those tables and chairs. if you ever need help hauling stuff you brought in the future just come find me. it's my pleasure to help carry the burden of all you do behind the scenes to make these tournies happen

___X___

Smash Lord
well the raffle prizes were mostly for things that I don't need (free pizza gift card or w/e, xbox games) but the raffle hype was ****in real so +support on that

also thank you to tsuteto for running the brawl bracket and bringing all those tables and chairs. if you ever need help hauling stuff you brought in the future just come find me. it's my pleasure to help carry the burden of all you do behind the scenes to make these tournies happen

QFT. Everyone, please give Tsuteto recognition for helping so much throughout the tournament! A big part of his help gave me the ability to run around and assist/play more than I thought I could.
THANKS TIM!

spudzalot

Smash Journeyman
Great tourney, great turnout, great venue, great salsa, and great CAT. Thanks for hosting the tourney. I plan to come to more because this was a lot of fun, and I realized how much I missed it. :,)
Pretty much the only thing missing was a Project M tourney, we should get one of them rolling next time.

Death Arcana

Rum is for Drinking
3DS FC
3179-6169-5116
Do Tourneys really take Mental Endurance/Stamina?

like its really just a game we play for fun
so why are so many of tired after a tourney
i can do a light cardio workout followed by some strength training
and still not be as tired

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
It can be tiring if you play a character that takes a lot of thought to play.

Death Arcana

Rum is for Drinking
3DS FC
3179-6169-5116
theres probably some more variables in this
but i think pretty much every character is demanding at high level
toon link maybe a bit more so, idk if its significant tho
hey why don't we all have a half decent discussion for once???
im down
i want to really work on this tired thing for intense matches/sets

btw GGs Allisdown

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Well, tbh, none of us are really 'High Level'. Chris probably is, and maybe Kev, Kenny, Mars, or Ebo, but after that we're all more Mid to High Mid at best.

But the main thing is, none of us play for money. Also, none of us are at a level where a match is a straight up battle of wits where almost every move is a mind game or prediction. For example, I could go multiple days playing Smash with minimal sleep and not really get tired, but if I have to play at my VERY best against players of a similar or better skill level for 3-4 back to back sets, and I REALLY want to win, Im going to be fatigued as hell afterwards.

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
Yes, tournaments take mental toughness. The reason it makes you so tired is because you are putting 100% concentration into your matches and if you stay in for long enough that adds up to hours of full concentration. People without mental stamina end up choking or 'being too tired to try' and don't do well when it counts.

And Zz, you have to think with any character if you're playing against someone good.

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
But the main thing is, none of us play for money. Also, none of us are at a level where a match is a straight up battle of wits where almost every move is a mind game or prediction. For example, I could go multiple days playing Smash with minimal sleep and not really get tired, but if I have to play at my VERY best against players of a similar or better skill level for 3-4 back to back sets, and I REALLY want to win, Im going to be fatigued as hell afterwards.
Aren't tournaments playing for money? You should be trying your best and really want to win every tourney. Smash fests are definitely less exhausting than tournaments though. If you're not tired after a tournament you usually didn't make it very far or beat anyone good lol

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
I used to, but as of late its been hard for me to really get into the game enough to try my best. Idk why, but I just havent.

Jekyll

Smash Ace
Are serious discussions actually allowed in this thread?

none of us are at a level where a match is a straight up battle of wits where almost every move is a mind game or prediction.
I get what you're saying with the rest of it Z'z, but I think that part is kind of backwards. A player doesn't really have to be at a certain level to start training themselves to think and stay focused, but a lack of the ability to think and stay focused during a match (or not knowing that you need to) will definitely limit what level you're capable of competing at. Every match (that matters) should be a "battle of wits", and should require your full concentration. If a player is serious about competing or improving your game, then going into "auto-pilot" is the last thing that you want to make a habit out of.

If you ever leave a tournament and your fingers are the only thing tired, then you're playing the game wrong or just not playing to compete.

Rockmix

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rockmix
The only time I get mentally tired is in team matches at tourneys and smashfests. I don't want to let my teammate down so I try to go balls out in teams. After awhile it wears me down.

Mr. Fox

AKA Shiro
NNID
ShiroTagachi
I can definitely agree with that haha. This was my first ever real doubles experience and it exhausted me, I was stressed the whole time.

Death Arcana

Rum is for Drinking
3DS FC
3179-6169-5116
shiro we never got to play more than that ike ditto, keep it up and watch out for that DTILT!!! lool

so guys i know that long tourneys can get us way fatigued
so im gonna look way into building mental stamina/toughness
i'd imagine any kind of tournament would need this be it sports or games
i can just imagine how a high level chess player is mentally trained
my joy for this game is not over with yet. i will adapt
last tourney really woke me up to some problems and things i
need to work on to get better

Top Bottom