• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Utah Thread - Dead thread is dead

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
There's a few choice players that play Melee more than Brawl. Most Brawl players can play Melee, they just choose not to since they're typically better at Brawl. I'm really even when it comes to either or, I just know I stand a better chance at Brawl. But I'm hardly competitive now. But if you're there at the lock-in, I don't mind playing a few rounds with you, just don't expect too much from me ^^;;

I stand out with the large hat with large feather.

ASLC

Smash Apprentice
@ASLC: Can I pick up my Anime Salt Lake badge that I got through the Badge of the Gods there, or do I still have to get that at ASL, itself?

@MeatIsMURDER: I remember you missing at least two Smashfests, already. And every time you ask if someone wants to play, it was the day of, so it didn't give people much time to prepare ahead of time, so I can see why no one wants to. If Buzz is having a Smashfest this Saturday like he's been saying, then you should come. I'll likely show up if he hosts one.
Just pick up the Badge at ASL since you've already bought a badge. This is just for people who would prefer to buy the badges in person because a few people have messaged me on Facebook about not wanting to buy the badge online for whatever reason.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
I'd kill to form a Melee scene, but no one else wants to.

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
It didn't help that the Melee players slowly became less and less active, eventually leaving, due to Brawl's increased focus, which lead to even more people leaving, with the effect worsening every time. The players that play both Melee and Brawl here then just focus on Brawl since that's the better option given the circumstances.
There seems to be a slight increase in Melee players coming from out of state people moving here (MeatIsMURDER and potentially Cactuarz later), so maybe with Salt Fest to attract more attention, Melee might be able to grow a bit. Brawl can do the same due to Salt Fest, too, of course.
Although, one big problem this scene has is that a lot people that join the Smash scene here tends to not want to stay for long, hence why even Brawl's scene is pretty small. I'm not sure if it's the fact that the scene here is unwelcoming to new players or something. The Smash scene here doesn't do a good job at trying to help newer/worse players get better as it could be doing, and some players are simply leeching off of it for as long as possible until it dies completely. This scene needs a lot of changes if it hopes to grow, but that's something pretty hard to accomplish at this rate. Maybe the introduction of newer people would help.

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
There's many more factors about why the scene doesn't thrive more, but that comes down more to the character of the people in it. Hence why I will alwyas support the DDR scene more, as they're a lot more considerate of new people, supportive, and hell, even in the tournaments we're considerate (e.g. was going to play a song against a person I was pretty confident in, but found out that it was played on her at the previous tournament (she was OOS), so changed the choice to be more competitive for her). I occasionally see that happen, but pretty much only when the mexis are just messing around (which is a good thing, actually).

The actual interactions out of game though is what kills the scene. It's fun and all to have joking going on between friends, but there's a different approach when it's new people, AKA not shouting noob when they lose. Drastic example, but I hope it gets the point across.

I've learned it's a dead horse though, so I've given up on it.

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
What ever happened to that really good Melee Luigi player (like, potentially better than anyone here) that moved here from the east side of the US (I forgot his alias)? I met him once at a tournament the Mexi Brigade hosted, and that was it. And where's Ichigo? He sort of disappeared, too. That's two Melee players that disappeared out of nowhere without saying anything. <_<

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
Let's make a status roster.

Laughing Man - ridiculous Ganon player - living in Provo
Koaxial Kable - Link/Puff player - living in Logan
Gojira - Bowser lol - living in Roy
FoxTheStampede - Fox player - living in Midvale

What happened to Phil and Raging Asian?

Death Arcana

Rum is for Drinking
3DS FC
3179-6169-5116
i don't what you talkin about but chris ***** that guy
and
me and ichigo chill all the time in the clouds

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
I'm not sure if it's the fact that the scene here is unwelcoming to new players or something. The Smash scene here doesn't do a good job at trying to help newer/worse players get better as it could be doing, and some players are simply leeching off of it for as long as possible until it dies completely. This scene needs a lot of changes if it hopes to grow, but that's something pretty hard to accomplish at this rate. Maybe the introduction of newer people would help.
That doesn't apply to all of us. I make it a point to talk to pretty much every new smasher and try to help them feel welcome. And I'm not gonna go into how many countless hours I've played with people nowhere near my level trying to help them get better. Even now Wangston and I are doing that. We had a bunch of new faces over to our apt to smash yesterday, a few of which are interested in coming to tournaments and a couple that seem to have real potential if they'll stick with it.

But I agree with what you mean. There are a few people in the scene that ostracize newer players and make them never want to come back. It's frustrating to see so many people leave just as quickly as they came after all the effort it took in trying to get them out to something in the first place. No need to mention any names, but pretty much everyone knows what I am talking about.

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
Sorry Kenny, we're not saying that everyone is like that. It's just one of those things where to bad outweighs the good. You've been a great support in pushing the community up in numbers. That truly is a noble effort, which should be rewarded. I owe you ice cream sometime. Or something XD

I think the worst moment is when a newcomer left a tournament practically crying. Shame, he was a Zelda player too :/ Sadly though, that's no wake up call to the scene.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
Crying cause he lost? Or crying cause of how he was treated?

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Crying because the mexis, Chris in specific, treated him like an asshole and tried to humiliate him.

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
Don't know who exactly, don't really care, just know that's essentially what went down, and it doesn't matter if one of us did it, nobody really tried to help afterwards either. I barely had gotten there when I heard about him leaving just prior to that.

wangston

Smash Lord
I can think of like 10 news smashers that left the scene over the years because they got trolled so hard. Some people feel like they have to humiliate any new player and think they are weeding at all the crappy players by doing it. To them this is to insure only the "strong survive." I know my first tourney I was treated like crap, but I play competitively so I was willing to put up with it. However some people are not so willing to stick around after being treated like crap.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Don't know who exactly, don't really care, just know that's essentially what went down, and it doesn't matter if one of us did it, nobody really tried to help afterwards either. I barely had gotten there when I heard about him leaving just prior to that.
I was in the middle of a tournament match when it happened and he left, so I didnt realize in time to do anything :/

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
The name doesn't ring a bell.
I also don't remember being there for the incident, either. If I was, I would probably remember, or at least heard about it.

Cactuarz

Smash Ace
You can add Cactuarz - G&W/Peach to that list ^^. It looks like I'll be moving here in august. Around Provo =3. I'll be down to smash for sure! Melee/Project M preferred, but I'll learn brawl too =3

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
It was an interesting tournament XD Between their kitchen and living room, pretty much. Can't remember the apartment, but it was near, like, 9000 south-ish? I think?

I heard about it since we were going to team, but that failed and I ended up with Cherry or whatever her name is.

Sexy Yaz

Smash Apprentice
@Meatlsmurder
I'll put you in your place in melee my man since you've been begging for it ;)
I've been out of town the last month for work but I'm back in black and once you go black you never come back haha. ****

Edit:: does anyone have cod:bo2 on xbox??

MeatIsMURDER

Smash Ace
yaz come at me you son of a gun im gunna wavecheat all over your ***** ass

also nice job making a newer player almost cry leaving a tournament whoever did that
that's like one of the most depressing things i've ever heard
im gunna kick ur ass irl hank hill style
the midwest hillbilly beatdown

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
I beat Yaz once.

We were both messing around XD

And the incident was the worse thing I've seen happen. It's not a usual thing, but that generally gives a view as to why our scene doesn't really increase that much. There's not any real maturity amongst the "oustanding" members, I guess you could say, just middle school antics and "bragging" rights.

wangston

Smash Lord
Just go ahead and so who did it. My guess it was the mexis. Leave it to them to make any new smasher feel unwelcome in utah.

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
No, because that's basically putting fuel on the fire. Whoever did it knows the wrong, and has their choice to make about how they treat people. As well, this is about two years ago as well, and a lot of things have changed since then. I'm not an active part in the tournament scene, or even the community really, so it'd be of no right for me to "point fingers". Out of my years in and out of the community, I've only had two people that I've really found "problematic," both of which I have voiced quite well in the past, and quite childishly.

It's neither here nor there for the details. The point is that we as well versed members should not treat people that are new to the scene that way. I'm all for corrective action when things like that do happen, whatever it may be, but it's far better to have preventative action when able, and the latter part does not happen unless it's discussed. The more vocal members, though, have not had a desire in the past to make a change in the "attitude" of the group.

TL;DR version - The reason the scene is dying is because the actual human character of integrity and respect in the scene is dead. Unless that latter portion is revived, the former will remain as is.

My view is that the latter will still be dead though, because those who could REALLY work on improving that, are either too prideful or ignorant to actually realize that, since they are in the "now" moment and can't get outside of themselves to really see the future. A stain on a new shirt sticks out far more than the shirt's crisp color.

wangston

Smash Lord
Lets put the past behind us. Believe it or not there are lurkers who read this thread and all this talk about a sucky scene drives them away before they even try it.

The scene no longer sucks. The active scene consist of everyone who went to vegas and and a few more slc and provo people. All of them which are chill and really nice. It really sucks how one bad apple has ruined it for the rest of us nice people.

Take it from me, an active member in the scene, this is a great place to play smash and make friends.

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
Lets put the past behind us. Believe it or not there are lurkers who read this thread and all this talk about a sucky scene drives them away before they even try it.

The scene no longer sucks. The active scene consist of everyone who went to vegas and and a few more slc and provo people. All of them which are chill and really nice. It really sucks how one bad apple has ruined it for the rest of us nice people.

Take it from me, an active member in the scene, this is a great place to play smash and make friends.
Agreed.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
I dunno lol. I dont think Yaz would ditch someone though so hes probably just late.

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
Did Yaz actually fix something with you? Cause from his post I see nothing hinting at him actually showing up to anything today.

Edit: from the sound of it, he's down there now. So nvm.

Top Bottom