• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Utah Thread - Dead thread is dead

Lykos-

Smash Rookie
Lets put the past behind us. Believe it or not there are lurkers who read this thread and all this talk about a sucky scene drives them away before they even try it.

The scene no longer sucks. The active scene consist of everyone who went to vegas and and a few more slc and provo people. All of them which are chill and really nice. It really sucks how one bad apple has ruined it for the rest of us nice people.

Take it from me, an active member in the scene, this is a great place to play smash and make friends.
+1

I'm an extremely new player as far as anything competitive goes, and my (very limited) experience with the scene here has been absolutely positive. You, Kenny, and the other people I've played have been friendly, helpful, and tolerant of my constant urge to play Smash against much better players. I haven't attended a tournament yet, so maybe all the drama and bad feelings I keep hearing about will suddenly materialize there, but so far everyone's been far more gracious than I probably deserve.

ok time to lurk again

MeatIsMURDER

Smash Ace
at a cafe, got a new apartment will be moving in tonight or tomorrow
just wanted to tell buzzsaw to **** himself for complaining that i couldn't make it to saturday's melee
im gunna be starting up biweeklies with enough interest for brawl+melee, more details to come
address will be 573 east 1st avenue, unit #9
drinking+smoking(pot) will be acceptable, brawl players are responsible for all TOing of brawl/PM, people will have to be bringing setups, and melee takes priority on setups

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
Drinking and smoking at a tournament... I don't see a better way to ensure a low turnout to a tourney.

If that stuff is present at a tournament, that essentially excludes everyone that doesn't share that life style. And considering you're in Utah, that percentage of people that don't is a Lot higher. So have fun with your tournaments with 3-5 people.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
MeatizMURDA kinda posts crazy on here but I played some Marvel with him hes pretty chill IRL I like the dood if you host some stuff I'll show up bruh

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
Can't really be worse than the thread title, I suppose. <.<

But anyways Lykos and another friend of mine are coming with me for Saturday. Get ready to get wrecked by a WiFi player :3

MeatIsMURDER

Smash Ace
are you guys forreal
we can keep it straight edge if everybody's so uptight i just want to play some melee and this scene needs a revamp IMO

believe it or not most places that's going to appeal to more players having a drug friendly environment
you can take the vegan out of the midwest but you can't take the midwest out of the vegan huh guys

played some melee with RJ last night, that was pretty fun

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
One time I was at a smashfest with it being smoked (only by a minority, too), and there was enough of the stuff floating in the air that it gave me a headache the whole next day. Even when people go outside to smoke and return, I still can't stand the smell left on their clothes when I'm right next to them. I'm just anti-smoking in general, whether it is of cigarettes, pot, or something worse.

MeatIsMURDER

Smash Ace
would it make a difference if the weed was being vaporized in a different room because I won't be smoking in my apartment, but I will be vaporizing

also the mexis are not invited, i've heard nothing but awful things both from people and from the forums about them
so maybe that will increase appeal
i'm leaving the cafe now I won't be posting for another day or two until I get internet set up at my new crib, look forward to organizing some sort of routinely smashing

also open to third strike, umvc3, halo 2, halo 1

Death Arcana

Rum is for Drinking
3DS FC
3179-6169-5116
Smoking and drinking is not the problem im fine with it

The problem is telling someone to go **** themselves
That didn't really do anything wrong
BUT OH WELL

Wow dude now youre judgin people based on the Internet
Oh my god

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Yeah...if that's the case, I won't be going, either...
Which reminds me: why does Z'z still have control over the first post? He's not even active in the scene anymore...
I still go to stuff lol, I just dont enter smash. HOWEVER, I havent been able to make it to anything in a month or two cuz life owning me atm lol. I WILL however be there this weekend.

And I personally am not a huge fan of smoking of any kind, so I dont really wanna be around it either if I can help it.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
Man, what HAPPENED to this state while I was gone? Utah was the envy of Idaho smashers because it had a coherent community with active players. We came down to tournaments as often as we could. Now, everyone here just points fingers and holds grudges for this and that. Do we WANT an active smash scene? I'm doing my best to offer space and/or food for a community to form, but the reaction is so weak, I don't know if I care to practice up for any big events.

If anyone is on the fence in terms of interest/skill, LET'S SMASH. I like progressing our meta game. I can help you with advanced techniques. I'm not a troll who will insult you for losing.

If you're better than me, come make me get better.

Like... what can I do better to contribute to the community? Please don't make me go back to playing League of Legends.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Obviously this is my fault because shortly after I stopped running Smash tournaments everything went bad.

Cactuarz

Smash Ace
Thank you chaos for standing up for us who don't really feel comfortable in drinking/smoking areas. I've gotten used to it, but I prefer to smash without it honestly. I'm starting to look for housing in late summer around the provo/southfield area. If anyone knows of a spot that'll be opening up/needs a roommate I'm game to do a year's lease or something. I moved here to oklahoma for a year with the OK smash group a year ago and it's been a blast living with smashers =3. I figure I'll put the offer here before I start looking elsewhere. =3.

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
Man, what HAPPENED to this state while I was gone? Utah was the envy of Idaho smashers because it had a coherent community with active players. We came down to tournaments as often as we could. Now, everyone here just points fingers and holds grudges for this and that. Do we WANT an active smash scene? I'm doing my best to offer space and/or food for a community to form, but the reaction is so weak, I don't know if I care to practice up for any big events.

If anyone is on the fence in terms of interest/skill, LET'S SMASH. I like progressing our meta game. I can help you with advanced techniques. I'm not a troll who will insult you for losing.

If you're better than me, come make me get better.

Like... what can I do better to contribute to the community? Please don't make me go back to playing League of Legends.
I feel like the UT smash scene has been greatly misrepresented by the smash boards discussion over the past week or two. I for one think the smash scene is great and I enjoy coming out to events. Sure there are things we can do better, but it sounds like people are already trying to do it recently.

So lets move on from the whole UT smash scene isn't good thing cause its just corrosive to it, and isn't all true. :) I for one am excited for Saturday's tourney and think there will be a good turn out.

Edit: also, I just wanted to add Thanks Buzz for your efforts to boost the smash scene and to anyone else who puts effort into keeping the smash scene alive.

Anonano

is the mano, ya know?
A smashfest sounds fun, Buzz. I wanted to come last Saturday, but...I was extremely sick. No johns though :p

Cactuarz

Smash Ace
Looking at this thread as an outsider, it doesn't seem bad. I can tell there's stuff going on and you guys are actively getting things going. It's much better seeing stuff happening in a scene rather than having stagnation tbh ^^. Even if there's it's little bits of drama here and there, the people who seem more eccentric seem pretty nice ^^.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
My house is drug/smoke/alcohol free! Come smash. :]

Oh, and everyone go RSVP in the Saltfest thread right now. I got that fixed.

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
It helps you with your meta game. Anticipate the dog flying, anticipate the moves, know yourself. All is well.

Rockmix

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rockmix
would it make a difference if the weed was being vaporized in a different room because I won't be smoking in my apartment, but I will be vaporizing

also the mexis are not invited, i've heard nothing but awful things both from people and from the forums about them
WOW, how about actually meeting them before you make that decision.

A Psychiatrist

Smash Apprentice
Hey guys! So, I'm relatively new to the actual tournament scene, but I want to start playing with more Utah players. I'll be paying more attention to this thread, although I'm more likely to lurk than post. I would enjoy some casual play with you guys to see how I compare, and I'll try to start attending more of the local events. :)

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
Welcome :) Where do you live at? We are doing a tournament at Kafeneios this Friday, you should come to watch at the very least.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
i didn't' know Friday is the new Saturday
Yes. This is a growing problem for me. I know some people work Saturday, but lots of people (like me) work every Friday from now until the earth stops spinning. I get off work at 5.

Smashfest Saturday at my house? Anyone? :D

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
Didn't someone just say it was Friday? How much is going on this weekend? XD

Top Bottom