• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Utah Thread - Dead thread is dead

Ken Neth

Smash Champion
Anyone know how I can get in touch with Chris Bennion? I got work tomorrow til 430and I can't get off, I didn't realize the finals were going to be played in the middle of the afternoon on a weekday:(
If it can't change just let me take your place!

That sucks, sorry to hear that. Hope it all works out.

Skull Kid

Smash Cadet
NNID
Chuggbert
3DS FC
0748-3351-1612
FWIW, as a noob, the amateur brackets and gym leaders sound fun as ****. I would be so stoked to see both of those implemented. At the two tourneys I've attended, the thing I've wanted to do more than anything is play competitive matches. Money matches can achieve this, but having an organized system to provide more matches in place would be a huge motivation for me to keep coming to tourneys (I'll keep coming anyway).

Last edited:

の 。の Felon

Smash Cadet
NNID
tjaketheman
I can switch back and forth between games using the same characters perfectly fine. You just have to know and be aware of the differences, which I never find to be a problem. I'm trying to main a character that's not in Melee, though, but that's due to another reason. LOL
Maybe someday I'll be that good ha ha, but I'm pretty new to the competitive world of smash (I've only been playing melee for about 2 months) those are the things that helped me though of course the goal is to be as good as you unlikely as it is ha ha.

Last edited:

Rockmix

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rockmix
Well the tourney was fun and went by smoothly and ended early which was nice. Too bad brawl doubles wasn't there would have been fun.
Also an amateur bracket would be cool to have.

Snap.

Smash Apprentice
Well the tourney was fun and went by smoothly and ended early which was nice. Too bad brawl doubles wasn't there would have been fun.
Also an amateur bracket would be cool to have.
yeah, I think the amateur bracket would be really cool. I saw a lot of people discouraged when they were getting 3/4 stocked by people who were outclassing them. A portion of these players probably don't have the resilience to keep coming to events in order to get rekt over and over again.

Roguay

Smash Journeyman
1. what would be the qualifications to enter amateur bracket?
2. how would the gym battles work (how do they do it in NM)?

i really like the sound of both these ideas, really gives incentive for new players to get involved

Snap.

Smash Apprentice
I was just talking to Tsuteto about how an article I had found described a method for having an amateur bracket.

http://clashtournaments.com/money-brawl-please-run-amateur-brackets/
This paragraph is probably the most important out of the article:
"In terms of catering to players, running an amateur bracket gives every player potentially four losses to work with. In that respect it guarantees everyone four sets, and any additional sets have to be earned by winning. In a round robin pool, there’s the potential for a new players to come to the event, get stomped seven times, getting discouraged and never coming back. It creates a very happy medium of guaranteed games while maintaining the urgency to win for additional play while avoiding the demoralizing string of possible consecutive losses."

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
If we are too set up amateur brackets though, we would definitely have to give Brawl it's own day. That takes forever to get through, even with how it is right now.

Superw0rri0

Smash Ace
If you guys want to experiment and try something different in our tournaments... I'm more than happy to do it for my tournament... speaking of which... for those who don't know:

Yo @ Sinz Sinz ... Help a brother out:

Neumont Smash Jam
143 S. Main St
Salt Lake City, UT 84111
April 26th

Last edited:

Remioli

Smash Journeyman
Re
If you guys want to experiment and try something different in our tournaments... I'm more than happy to do it for my tournament... speaking of which... for those who don't know:

Yo @ Sinz Sinz ... Help a brother out:

Neumont Smash Jam
143 S. Main St
Salt Lake City, UT 84111
Include the date? Some of us drink too much to remember.

Superw0rri0

Smash Ace
Last edited:

Tomacawk

Smash Master
wow that's some expert windows paint [ photoshop? ] work there, almost fooled me. however, I can tell from some of the pixels and from seeing quite a few shops in my time

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
Hax needs to stop playing Fox. Go back to Captain Falcon.

That is all.

Superw0rri0

Smash Ace
It was Paint.net. I don't have photoshop.
Which for those who don't know is a more sophisticated paint.

It's not finished...
I still need to get rid of all the white and crap + more.

i just wanted to show you guys what's in store

Last edited:

Superw0rri0

Smash Ace
My laptop is alright... It's not made for gaming but it can run things quite well.... I took a graphic design class in highschool and I made a lot of video projects with Adobe After Effects. My favorite graphics design program is paint :p

If you want to see other things I've made I got a few things in my photobucke: http://s1213.photobucket.com/user/superworrio/library/?sort=3&page=1
It also has a bunch of random thigns that are either smash related, programming related, and even some stuff from my minecraft days.

INB4:
I just realized you're joking..... wow I suck at internet sarcasm.....

Last edited:

Sexy Yaz

Smash Apprentice
Dekar mentioned something to me about putting 50% of the amateur bracket pot into the pro bracket once we have a solid scene again to encourage the amateurs to improve enough to play in the pro bracket. I like this idea a lot

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
Dekar mentioned something to me about putting 50% of the amateur bracket pot into the pro bracket once we have a solid scene again to encourage the amateurs to improve enough to play in the pro bracket. I like this idea a lot
I don't like this.

Snap.

Smash Apprentice
Holy **** that's insane. What an absurd ending!

Guys I've been practicing PM and I'm getting way better. I'm ****** lvl 5 CPU's almost every game
your squirtle will get there eventually

Tsuteto

火事で死ね
So, finals are today for FanX. Stream will be live at www.twitch.tv/GamersAbbey at 2:00 PM. Tune in, share it (it'll be on the Smashboards main page as well), and all that wonderful stuff! For those attending the con, swing on by and say hello!

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
I'm sad Captain Falcon hasn't won an APEX or an EVO yet. Peach has won a few! COME ON!

Top Bottom