• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Utah Thread - Dead thread is dead

Superw0rri0

Smash Ace
Hypothetically if I wanted to start playing Melee coming from Project M... How hard should it be?
The difficulty wouldn't be too hard... Melee is more picky, more clunky, and less forgiving than pm. It'll be a little hard at first but you should be able to adapt.

Will there be doubles too?
If there's time then yes

Last edited:

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
I just now learned that Falco's recovery is stupid good in Project M. (I don't play PM, but I watched some tournament footage live last night. I guess I always considered Falco's bad Melee recovery to be "fair" given his other strengths.)

Superw0rri0

Smash Ace
It does? i really didn't notice. Then again I don't play much falco... just every now and then when I feel bad for beating everyone in ffas with pit and mario.

Last edited:

Pwny7

Smash Rookie
Hey thanks, man. Really appreciate the input. It was a really fun experience commentating for the first time.
Ditto. Good to know we didn't sound like a couple of jack asses XD Was a whole lot of fun

の 。の Felon

Smash Cadet
NNID
tjaketheman
Hypothetically if I wanted to start playing Melee coming from Project M... How hard should it be?
I did exactly that, and like worrio said it is a lot less forgiving. Your inputs will probably slow down a bit, but it doesn't take long to adjust. The lack of quick turn arounds was probably the hardest thing for me. The only thing I recommend, if you still want to play pm don't use any characters remotely similar to your melee main (I switched from Sheik to Lucas). Even like an Ike to Marth can really screw with your melee game.

wangston

Smash Lord
Honestly man, at the highest level, I think Wario is really really really bad for Snake. Snakes usual advantages ( KO power, survivability, damage) Wario actually matches or exceeds him in these areas. Then his other advantages being his range and ground/grab game, Wario just can completely avoid that altogether. I don't think I got hit with ftilt more than 3 times in the whole set.

Your basically left with having to chase Wario in the air and Snake is bad in the air. I still haven't mastered Wario to the point that I want and theres a lot of little nuances in the MU that I need to polish....but yea. I picked up Wario specifically to beat you and Chris lol.

I would just CP MK on Wario because that MU is impossible for Wario if you know how to play it, but then we'll just be playing MK dittos every set lolololol we'll finally embrace Brawl metagame.

Aguilars

There's a lot of things in Brawl that are worse than Ice Climbers imo. MK, Wario, Aguilars....its just a part of the game.

The basic strategy/template for fighting Ice Climbers involves:

1. Making sure you don't play on Final Destination. This stage is almost impossible for any character in the game to beat Ice Climbers on. You have to ban it.

2.Ice Climbers pretty much invalidate most of the cast. So you're left with playing either characters that never have to land (MK/Wario/Peach/ROB) or characters that have strong neutral tools/gimmicks that interrupt chaingrabs Diddy/Snake/etc.

3. You cant get grabbed. This is harder than it sounds, it takes a ton of patience and a good understanding of how the game's system mechanics work.

Even with all of these steps covered and even if you know what you're doing....chances are you will still get grabbed and you will lose to Icies. Ice Climbers are basically the noob proof character..it is almost impossible for a average/casual/newer player to beat someone as skilled with Icies as Samson is. Even outside of the chaingrabs they're still a very formidable character and they can win without even having to land a grab.

Now if you ban chaingrabs.....ultimately what will it accomplish? Samson will just play his MK or Snake and he will still beat the same people he beat almost as easily as he did with Ice Climbers, this just hampers him in bracket. Banning chaingrabs in pools isn't actually a bad idea but how on earth would you referee something like that, youd need staff at every setup lol.

llololololol. im dead

Honestly Chris, do whatever you want. Its your tournament so whatever your ultimate goal or what you want to get out of the event is what you should shoot for. Just keep in mind, last year you ran a FFAmtourny with items on......and the best players still were the last ones standing at the end of the day. You have almost the same people in finals this time with a competitive ruleset as you did last year with a casual one. Coincidence? No.

The skill gap is just massive. Even some of the players in the Utah scene who never even get into the top 5 in our locals just destroyed everyone in their pools. My little brother isn't exactly a "competitive" player and he 3 stocked almost everyone in his pool with a mid tier character in Kirby.

Some people just don't have what it takes w\to play a competitive fighter. For example in one of my pools matches I played a Falco player with my Snake. He woukld shoot a couple lasers on the other side of the stage, then whenever I got close...he would side b to the other side and try to do it again. Well obviously I know how to get around this 2008 strategy and I would simply walk and shield his side b and the punish with Snakes ftilt. You'd think after about the 5th time of me punishing this guy for this he would try something else or maybe make the connection in his brain that his foolproof strategy was getting him niowhere...but nope. Kept doing it the whole set and I kept punishing him the whole set. this wasn't a little kid or anything either it was a grown man older than me lol.

Fighting games, especially 1v1 games are so unforgiving of a genre. You will lose and you will lose a lot. There is always someone out there who is better than you. You have to take each of your losses and learn from the experience. that's the beauty of competitive games. There's always room for improvement and theres always more information to soak in.

and I think people had a great time. I talked with 20+ people I had never met before, gave tips, pointed people towards our scene and Smashboards. There was giveaways, food, sexy hairy men everywhere, and even Ash Ketchum himself showed up.

One thing you might want to look into is lowering the entry fee. Its really expensive for the average person to put up that much money for a pot that they will never even sniff at.

Anyways, you guys are awesome and the event was da bess. Some of your "security" guards were taking their jobs a little too seriously though lol.

3DS version will be awesome, ill finally get to play Smash while im on the toilet. you have no idea how long ive waited for this moment.

The biggest problem I foresee wth 3DS tournaments is having enough outlets/charging stations available for matches to be played.

New Mexico? Is their whole scene besides Light and Dekar in the amateur bracket????

Marz and all his infinite wisdom. The more I play any game with this guy I see how smart he plays.

/suckofmarz

Baky

Smash Journeyman
It does? i really didn't notice. Then again I don't play much falco... just every now and then when I feel bad for beating everyone in ffas with pit and mario.
I think he's being sarcastic. Falco's recovery is terribad in PM. Most PM characters have outstanding edgeguard options against spacies, thus, Falco's recovery is much worse than its Melee version.

Last edited:

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
I think he's being sarcastic. Falco's recovery is terribad in PM. Most PM characters have outstanding edgeguard options against spacies, thus, Falco's recovery is must worse than its Melee version.

Tane

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2122-6733-6416
I'm sad I only got to commentate half a set. :(

...was my commentary ok? Did it suck??? Oh god

Last edited:

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
I think he's being sarcastic. Falco's recovery is terribad in PM. Most PM characters have outstanding edgeguard options against spacies, thus, Falco's recovery is much worse than its Melee version.
But it goes farther. That's what I said. Whether it is "good" relative to the meta game is a different story.

Z'zgashi

Smash Legend
NNID
ZzgashiZzShy
3DS FC
1521-3678-2980
Last edited:

Baky

Smash Journeyman
But it goes farther. That's what I said. Whether it is "good" relative to the meta game is a different story.
You didn't say it goes farther? Regardless, I don't think it does. Its either the same or slightly shorter but I say that based on pure anecdotal evidence with the character.

EDIT: http://smashboards.com/threads/pm-falco.341073/
This thread talks about it a lot. The common perception is that its a shorter recovery but the supposed actuality is that its the same. Actually, according to a post by PMBR in that thread, its different but he didn't specify in what way.

Last edited:

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
You didn't say it goes farther? Regardless, I don't think it does. Its either the same or slightly shorter but I say that based on pure anecdotal evidence with the character.
I'll have to go nab the stream I was watching. The commentators also indicated it goes much farther than it used to.

And sorry, I meant that it was stupid good "relative to Melee". It almost looked as long as Fox's.

Jekyll

Smash Ace
I'll have to go nab the stream I was watching. The commentators also indicated it goes much farther than it used to.

And sorry, I meant that it was stupid good "relative to Melee". It almost looked as long as Fox's.
Were you watching Xanadu last night? DP vs Omni?
I remember the commentators mentioning falco's recovery, but I think they were talking about how he can grab the ledge from a bit farther away than he could before...But I was only partially paying attention.

TheBuzzSaw

BRoomer
Were you watching Xanadu last night? DP vs Omni?
I remember the commentators mentioning falco's recovery, but I think they were talking about how he can grab the ledge from a bit farther away than he could before...But I was only partially paying attention.
Yes. That was the one. Even aside from their comments, just watching it, it felt like it was much longer than the Melee version.

Perfect Chaos

Smash Master
NNID
PerfectChaos7
The only thing I recommend, if you still want to play pm don't use any characters remotely similar to your melee main (I switched from Sheik to Lucas). Even like an Ike to Marth can really screw with your melee game.
I can switch back and forth between games using the same characters perfectly fine. You just have to know and be aware of the differences, which I never find to be a problem. I'm trying to main a character that's not in Melee, though, but that's due to another reason. LOL

Sinz

The only true DR vet.
Premium
I can switch back and forth between games using the same characters perfectly fine. You just have to know and be aware of the differences, which I never find to be a problem. I'm trying to main a character that's not in Melee, though, but that's due to another reason. LOL
Gotta go fast

Remioli

Smash Journeyman
I think I need to bring a smash setup to work. I go into long stretches of having very little to do and it kind of blows. 3DS smash cannot come soon enough. Maybe I'll just learn to knit.

-Mars-

Smash Hero
Anyone know how I can get in touch with Chris Bennion? I got work tomorrow til 430and I can't get off, I didn't realize the finals were going to be played in the middle of the afternoon on a weekday:(

socandrewcer

Smash Lord
NNID
socandrewcer
3DS FC
1220-8504-8308
Played with Falco in Brawl to train for a school tourney... After months of PM it's just so SLOW gah

Every "combo" becomes DI-dependent mind games in slow-motion.

EDIT: also any of you at weber?
Wahhhhhhhh

Roguay

Smash Journeyman
i can go between the games with marth easily enough but falco is a completely different story

Top Bottom